Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Grub cheesecake. Delicious. No, wait a battle against an ascended Grubfather that resolves the mystery of what happened to the grubs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the grubdiance

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe

C-Euro posted:

Picked this up in the Steam sale today and sunk about four hours into it. It's fun, and also looks and sounds great!

Is there any way to manually annotate the map? I just picked up the wall jump after passing by a bunch of places where I said "I'll bet I need a wall jump to get past here!" but I can't remember where they all are.

They were going to add custom pins into the most recent content patch, but an issue forced them to delay it to the next one.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Pigbuster posted:

They were going to add custom pins into the most recent content patch, but an issue forced them to delay it to the next one.

Ah nuts, but good on them for adding stuff to the game post-release.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

I mean fragile strength is pretty ridiculously overpowered

Which is why I don't like it! Plus a charm that just makes you do more damage is boring. I want dumb charms of dubious value like the one that spawns spider friends.

Though if I ever bother to do Steelsoul mode I will totally put on fragile strength and mark of pride to just ez mode every boss.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Just did Steel Soul mode and Speedrun Completion in one go.

Holy gently caress that mode is nerve-wracking. I experienced an entire new dimension of hate for primal aspids

Certainly would've been even nastier if Save & Quit didn't exist, but seriously, I'm taking everything I get here!

Aaaaand now it's time for the speedruns. Not looking forward to the Watcher Knights.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Not to rain on anyone’s parade, because completing steel soul in any shape or form is definitely an achievement, but it always struck as a bit odd that people would do it with strategic quit outs from the game menu.

I guess if the designers didn’t want people to do it that way they would have disabled it though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat
First playthrough update: this game rules and is the first game in a long while where I've gone "I'll stop after I take a look at X" and then I'm in X and say "oh I'll stop once I do Y" and whoops I've been playing over an hour longer than I meant to. If we're still doing spoilers, I just picked up the double jump upgrade, and while I'm pretty sure the game wants me to a certain spot in that same zone next there's like a dozen different things I could do right now and ugh decision paralysis :negative:

Also, I accidentally iced a ghost with the Dream Nail, is that a problem? It was the gold mustachoid bug in a secret tunnel in the Pleasure House, I talked to him and he didn't really say anything or offer any services, and I had been wondering if the Dream Nail does anything to NPCs, and well...whoops

brain dammej
Oct 6, 2013

C-Euro posted:

Also, I accidentally iced a ghost with the Dream Nail, is that a problem?
Only if you think ghost-murder is a problem.

Running Steel Soul 100% was the best decision I've made for my game enjoyment. My strategy for bosses was very much a damage-race prior to Steel Soul, which wasn't a very reliable method (for me, anyway) for downing them with no deaths. Doing it on Steel Soul forced me to actually be mindful of their patterns, and made me a better player as a result.

Helped to have an extremely defensive build too!
Only took me 2 tries, which surprised me. I thought I was going to spend 100s of attempts on that cheevo.
First run got ended when I tried to grab Shade Soul with an underpowered nail, and got thumped pretty hard by the guardian there. Forgot about the adds!
Second run I had a close call with Trial of Fools. That whole wall-jumping section is still incredibly nerve-wracking for me to beat. And I wouldn't dare Save-Quit to scum it, because that's cheating. :colbert:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Save-Quitting is only cheating if you do it in the middle of a boss fight / trial :colbert:

I thought I'd do a Steel Soul run without it too, but then I died twice a good way in - once to Watcher Knights, once trying to get Glowing Womb (I mentioned that I hate Aspids, right?). I just don't want to spend THAT much time on a run that isn't fundamentally different for me, since I never did the damage race strategies. I'm just glad I didn't really need Save+Quit on my third and final run... (Watcher Knights AGAIN, when getting Glowing Womb TWICE, Trial of the Fool once due to loving ASPIDS, Grimm once - who's technically unneeded for achievements, but man I wanted that notch for the colosseum...) 5 Save&Quits in total.

Really glad dream deaths don't count. Broken Vessel was never a problem, but Lost Kin slapped me around so bad, holy poo poo.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

brain dammej posted:

Only if you think ghost-murder is a problem.

I mean I still feel bad, but as long as I didn't lock myself out of anything then I'll get over it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Well, the store page is no longer Grimm Troupe themed. Instead it's... lifeblood themed?

Content Patch 3 maybe?

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i've nearly hit the white palace on my second playthrough and i've still not found the loving grimm troupe!!

i feel like i'm missing something obvious but then i missed the grey mourner entirely on my first playthrough so

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i've nearly hit the white palace on my second playthrough and i've still not found the loving grimm troupe!!

i feel like i'm missing something obvious but then i missed the grey mourner entirely on my first playthrough so

Try looking in the Howling Cliffs.

More specifically, there is a breakable wall to the right of the "Higher beings, these words are for you alone" sign

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Is this out for Switch yet? If it's only $15 I might just buy it again.

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

SirSamVimes posted:

Well, the store page is no longer Grimm Troupe themed. Instead it's... lifeblood themed?

Content Patch 3 maybe?

Ohgodohgodohgodohgod *excitement increasing*

Alongside Undertale, Doom and Ori, Hollow Knight is easily my favorite game of the last few years on PC, so I've been waiting for CP3 for a while. Also the Hornet DLC, but I can understand why that takes a while to get here. Any excuse to play the game again is good though, even if I've +100%:ed it, gotten all the achievements and so on.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Hollow Knight is a fantastic game, my GotY 2017.

Speaking of, here's your regular reminder that John Walker is an idiot.

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2017/12/31/best-metroidvania-games/10/

comment from John Walker posted:

I consider Hollow Knight to be far too derivative of too many games, while actively taking away from what made them great.

It’s a fun game, but falls short for me.

But imagine, everyone whinging, if the text above had repeatedly implored people to write why a game should be on the list, rather than complain it isn’t!

"far too derivative" to be in a list that includes Salt & Sanctuary :allears:

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Stealing is an art form, every game should do it :colbert:

Trip Hazard
Jan 17, 2017
Yeah, it really does seem like he has a personal axe to grind against Hollow Knight at this point. When that list went up on RPS, I rushed to read it, but then decided not to bother when I saw he'd put it together because I knew Hollow Knight wouldn't be there.

At this point, him not liking a popular game is reason enough for me to check it out, because I find that the things I appreciate in games are often things he pointedly dislikes. The map system in HK really, really works for me, but he slagged it off in his review, and even said something to the effect of "Why can't your character just bring a pen and paper along and fill in the map as he goes?". Like, that's not the point! When he described that system I knew that HK would be a good game for me.

Also, he recommended Kingdoms of Amalur unreservedly, but that game is just a vast trough of repetitive filler. His opinions are...weird.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

I wish Hollow Knight had a Homeward Bone item instead of a warp. I'm hoping to get the 100 under 20 Hours achievement and quitting and reloading saves so much backtracking to the relic-merchant. I'm around 80 percent after 8 hours, what are the best times here?

I know the bestiary isn't tied to completion but it feels like padding as hell when you have to kill an enemy more than once to get a complete journal entry.

It's amazing how the Hollow Knight's design hasn't changed at from it's first appearance in that crappy hard-to-run gamejam thing.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jan 16, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Inspector Gesicht posted:

I wish Hollow Knight had a Homeward Bone item instead of a warp. I'm hoping to get the 100 under 20 Hours achievement and quitting and reloading saves so much backtracking to the relic-merchant. I'm around 80 percent after 8 hours, what are the best times here?

I know the bestiary isn't tied to completion but it feels like padding as hell when you have to kill an enemy more than once to get a complete journal entry.

It's amazing how the Hollow Knight's design hasn't changed at from it's first appearance in that crappy hard-to-run gamejam thing.

I ended up at 106% after roughly 12 hours in Steel Souls mode, which... could be much faster, I guess! Super-paranoid play due to Steel Soul and an obsession to try different routes (early Crystal Peak & Deepnest through Queen's Garden is fun) made it slower than it had to be. Got 2 hours 50 in my first speedrun attempt, though. Mostly thanks to Watcher Knights, and some unexpected deaths against Hollow Knight, since I had never actually fought him non-overpowered before, I actually had to learn his patterns :D

And, yeah, transportation can be a little annoying in this game... I usually end up placing a warp gate right next to the stag station in Dirtmouth and leave it there for the rest of the game, and Save&Quit to get everywhere else. I would have appreciated another very late-game teleport ability that just takes you to any unlocked bench on the map.

reitetsu
Sep 27, 2009

Should you find yourself here one day... In accordance with your crimes, you can rest assured I will give you the treatment you deserve.

SirSamVimes posted:

Content Patch 3 maybe?

Hell yes. I hope it's CP3 with a simultaneous release on Switch so I can just basically glue my Switch to my hands and never stop Hollow Knighting.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Torquemadras posted:

I ended up at 106% after roughly 12 hours in Steel Souls mode, which... could be much faster, I guess! Super-paranoid play due to Steel Soul and an obsession to try different routes (early Crystal Peak & Deepnest through Queen's Garden is fun) made it slower than it had to be. Got 2 hours 50 in my first speedrun attempt, though. Mostly thanks to Watcher Knights, and some unexpected deaths against Hollow Knight, since I had never actually fought him non-overpowered before, I actually had to learn his patterns :D

And, yeah, transportation can be a little annoying in this game... I usually end up placing a warp gate right next to the stag station in Dirtmouth and leave it there for the rest of the game, and Save&Quit to get everywhere else. I would have appreciated another very late-game teleport ability that just takes you to any unlocked bench on the map.

Did you do Nightmare king or did you banish the nightmare?

Also for the 100% speed and steel achievements, does the game only count the original vanilla requirements or could you, say, get to 99 and then start the grimm troupe as to avoid doing the final coliseum? Or does it now requires the full 106%?

Zaggitz fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jan 16, 2018

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

You can get 100 percent and skip the 6 percent that's most annoying or hardest in Steel Mode. Also Salubra will only sell her blessing when you got 40 charms, up from 36.

Some charms take up the same slot, and thus completion only counts for the one charm. The Void Heart replaces the Kingsoul, there are two mutually exclusive charms depending on how you you resolve the Grimm Troupe, and I believe the three Unbreakable charms are missable. The only other missables in the game is one relic in the Abyss and several NPC interactions.

I'm on PC with a Nvidia card. Is there any proper way to stop the horrid screen-tearing?

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jan 16, 2018

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Zaggitz posted:

Did you do Nightmare king or did you banish the nightmare?

Also for the 100% speed and steel achievements, does the game only count the original vanilla requirements or could you, say, get to 99 and then start the grimm troupe as to avoid doing the final coliseum? Or does it now requires the full 106%?

I had already beaten the Nightmare King in my original playthrough, so I went with banishment instead. Both count as 1%, so it doesn't matter!

I have no idea if you can selectively complete Grimm content to skip annoying stuff from the main game, since, well, I did everything anyway, including the final coliseum fight. GOOD TO KNOW YOU CAN. :mad: But there's a couple things you can DEFINITELY skip, even in a 106% run:

- Any Dream boss that's not a Warrior Dream: Failed Champion, Lost Kin, Soul Tyrant, White Defender, Grey Prince Zote and, of course, Radiance. So if you need Essence, you can simply fight any one of these bosses two, three times.
- Salubra's Blessing. Want to sit on benches in blissful silence without that fuckin thing that cannot be turned off? Congratulations! You absolutely can on 106%!
- Void Heart. You need the Kingsoul, so you definitely have to go through Queen's Garden and White Palace, but that's good enough.
- Unbreakable charms. You don't need them for 106%. You could say that it's the filled slots on the charm screen that count for %, not the specific charm in there, with the exception of half of the Kingsoul, which doesn't count.
- All of the Hunter Journal.
- Path of Pain. And thank loving god for that.

...is it too much to hope that the next CP also gives us additional areas? Everybody loves new bosses, but I'd really love to see more unique environments with new enemy types as well. Though I guess Path of Pain kinda counts...?

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010
Have they said when the hornet DLC is gonna be set, if it's gonna be a sequel to the main game or what?

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

SirSamVimes posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought this had to be a user-contributed article because of how lacking the writing was and the fact that almost every single entry on the list has at least one grammatical or punctuation error. It looks like the author is actually on the payroll, though??

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Inepta Lacerta posted:

Alongside Undertale, Doom and Ori, Hollow Knight is easily my favorite game of the last few years on PC
Sup taste buddy :hfive:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SirSamVimes posted:

I love how he offers this up right away

quote:

I couldn’t give a wobbling toss how many pageviews it gets, as it makes no difference to me either way.

When nobody even accused him of selling out yet. Me thinks he doth protest too much.

quote:

Unfortunately you’ve chosen to just make spurious accusations, rather than the far more useful contribution of saying why you think Hollow Knight is so good.

Oh gently caress off John

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Time_pants posted:

Holy poo poo. I thought this had to be a user-contributed article because of how lacking the writing was and the fact that almost every single entry on the list has at least one grammatical or punctuation error. It looks like the author is actually on the payroll, though??

One of their main contributors even.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

Content Patch 3 maybe?

I'm really interested. Lifeblood is a port of the game's lore that really isn't explored much but is hinted at being important. It seems to be considered a taboo in Hallownest and also is tied to the Abyss given the door found down there, which has interesting implications.

SirSamVimes posted:

How the hell can you call Hollow Knight too derivative and then put Salt and Sanctuary on your list

Inepta Lacerta
Nov 20, 2012

Really quite silly indeed.

Spatial posted:

Sup taste buddy :hfive:

Sup dude: hfive:

The last few years have been good to us

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
The hilarious/wholly expected thing is that when people are disagreeing with him, John is quick to reply with "Well why don't you explain why Hollow Knight is good HMMMMMMM?" and then why someone does provide a really thorough, detailed explanation of the game's strengths, he's completely silent.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I imagine that he thinks the game is a 7/10 and not a 9.5/10 and wanted to go against the hype while trolling for page views.

It's not something worth getting outraged over or anything because the individual mechanics of the game are very competently put together (and the boss fights especially are great) and there's no real way to argue against that. And the guy is incapable of articulating what he actually doesn't actually like about the game so it just looks weird.

Dancer
May 23, 2011
"Ori did it better. All of it."

Also lol at including Elysian Tail in the list.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord
I was really disappointed at how much HK got snubbed by Giant Bomb's game of the year as well. They don't trash it but most of them don't like the art style, the music gets some praise. Dead Cells gets more respect.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

No Wave posted:

And the guy is incapable of articulating what he actually doesn't actually like about the game

but... isn't that his profession

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
I don't think we need to dwell on the video game blogger too much.

We haven't heard from Team Cherry in a little while which I hope means the switch port is getting close. Excited for any news about the next content patch too, should be interesting!

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Carecat posted:

I was really disappointed at how much HK got snubbed by Giant Bomb's game of the year as well. They don't trash it but most of them don't like the art style, the music gets some praise. Dead Cells gets more respect.

I kind of felt the same thing, but I feel like a few people on that staff don't really like Metroidvanias so I just think there wasn't a ton of interest to try it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Prav posted:

but... isn't that his profession

A lot of game journalism nowadays is just about generating clickbait. An article that contains some baffling opinnion people want to question is gonna get more views than a well-written, objective analysis of games.

Which is kind of proven by the fact that were only talking about the article because its stupid :regd09: