Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

quote:
- "I don't want you to oversell yourself"
- "Do you think that's a good strategy?"
- "I want to be your friend"
- "If you answered a question like this, it doesn't sound smart and like you didn't do your homework"
- "We like it when folks come with an educated level of communication on their salary"
- "I'm sorry that your response to me helping you was like this", and
- "I need you to tell me your previous compensation and please prove it to me"

appalling

cis autodrag posted:

Jesus, that chick sounds like she's trying to use PUA as a recruitment strategy.

nailed it. such a gross vibe.

people will try to use this jedi mind bullshit on you, and its like "dude i see what you're tryin to do."

e: but at one time, it certainly would have affected me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

if ever there was a time for the "every time you complain about it, the price goes up" gently caress-you negotiation strategy that was it. yeesh.

sorry you had to go through that, drat good job holding your ground.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Pollyanna posted:

it's a real thing and it sucks and luckily i'm kinda futch/horrible-mess so it's not ungodly awful for me, but still

a recruiter recently got incredibly lovely at me when i said that i didn't want to talk about compensation until later in the process, which i mentioned here

poo poo she said:

so bullshit continues to happen

lol at them trying to push you for prior salary when that's explicitly illegal up there

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
i wanna google "is it illegal to ask for salary history in $PLACE" right in front of her

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

i was very close to just hanging up on her but i thought it'd be too rude

also yes it is very illegal here in boston now, though it doesn't take effect until june it's still something i'm not going to do

and i've had experience dealing with abusive assholes and i'm slowly getting better at it

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

surgeryfriend update: packing and stitches are out, the nurse commented again about it being the GREATEST PUSSY EVER SCULPTED BY MANKIND or whatever, and how she's been the perfect patient so far cuz it's healing perfectly and it's got like 7" of depth and almost no swelling :toot:

e: also I have been told while it still had the healing wounds and stitches they (as in her and her husband, not the nurses lol) took to calling it the "hellraiser pussy" which made me giggle

Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 09:52 on Feb 17, 2018

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Glad she's having fun.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i said her and her wife but meant her and her husband for he is a dude most of the time and that's okay too

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

No, don't siphon my gender fluids, I need them!

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

I can no longer sit back and allow Communist infiltration, Communist indoctrination, Communist subversion and the international Communist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious gender fluids.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

went with this one instead

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

there's an ogre in baldurs gate who drops this unique belt. i wonder if that ogre was trans?

transition instantly, but you have to wear this ugly weightlifting belt for the rest of your life

:thunk:

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

sounds like it's permanent tho if they beheaded the jester for giving it to the duke's lover

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Synthbuttrange posted:

went with this one instead

it's a good game

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
what game is it?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Zamujasa posted:

what game is it?

diaries of a spaceport janitor

it's cheap right now on steam

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Improbable Lobster posted:

diaries of a spaceport janitor

it's cheap right now on steam

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

stunningly profound or stunningly stupid question and i'm not sure which tbh

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
it's a neat little thing. it's one of those games that has a billion stats you can modify that may or may not do anything at all

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Just talked to the surgeon about the out of network thing. I can't be super specific, but suffice it to say I'm being taken care of and I now 100% want to do my butt augmentation with him too

Also my boobs look loving great now, they've finally settled and gotten squishy and it's AWESOME

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
congrats on your bobs

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

cis autodrag posted:

Just talked to the surgeon about the out of network thing. I can't be super specific, but suffice it to say I'm being taken care of and I now 100% want to do my butt augmentation with him too

Also my boobs look loving great now, they've finally settled and gotten squishy and it's AWESOME

The same surgeon who was giving you crap before, or the boob surgeon? Lost the plot. Either way grats

also, yay boobies

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ciaphas posted:

The same surgeon who was giving you crap before, or the boob surgeon? Lost the plot. Either way grats

also, yay boobies

The boob surgeon. There were some billing issues that turned out not to be issues.

gently caress that other surgeon. I wouldn't go to him even if I had the cash at this point.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
friend of mine came out to their parents a few days ago, and said their parents responded "better than expected" by "only" making casual misgendering jokes instead of being full-bore awful.

and then a day or two later they actually became fully awful about everything, including demanding to know why she didn't come out sooner, or how she could do this to them, etc etc etc.

my only advice was :sever:, but just. christ. why do parents always gotta be terrible

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i have some cousins who were raised hyper hyper fundamentalist christian and two of them are queer -- one is gay and the other is non-binary. when the first of them came out their mom cried for weeks about "what did i do wrong" and dad refused to talk to them at all. but over time the parents got woke and backed way off from the fundamentalism and accepted their kids' reality and now the whole family participates in pride events and stuff :unsmith:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

im banned from seeing my extended family lol

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

Sagebrush posted:

i have some cousins who were raised hyper hyper fundamentalist christian and two of them are queer -- one is gay and the other is non-binary. when the first of them came out their mom cried for weeks about "what did i do wrong" and dad refused to talk to them at all. but over time the parents got woke and backed way off from the fundamentalism and accepted their kids' reality and now the whole family participates in pride events and stuff :unsmith:

yeah i'm hoping that for this person they come around but i'm seeing a lot of symptoms of narc parents and that situation never ends well.

meanwhile every since privately coming out and putting more thought to gender bullshit i'm starting to really get a feel for what dysphoria is like and goddamn it sucks;
the best way to put is before i really thought about it i was gloriously oblivious to the problem and now that i have a good idea of what it is it's starting to really bother me

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
i have not been in contact with my family for 25 years now, and it was and still is the best decision of my entire life.

not that a total :sever: should be done lightly, but gently caress those who put themselvies and their idea of what a perfect family picture must look like over our own expressions of ourselves as individuals.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
I'm really glad my parents took my coming out well

Shaman Linavi
Apr 3, 2012

my dad still hates me from when i told him i didn't want him coaching my sports teams/didn't want to play anymore 20 years ago
i really wish i had a better relationship with my parents but every time i talk to them i get to hear "no you are wrong" and i am so tired and just need to get away from them for a long time

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I have an okay relationship with my parents, currently, but I'm 100% sure that's because as far as they know I'm cis-hetero. My dad's becoming a big old racist trump supporter as he ages (Which is baffling to me, since we're Canadian), and my mom is becoming more religious and her mental illnesses are also becoming more pronounced.

My currently little journey of self-discovery could end with a :sever:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Pollyanna posted:

im banned from seeing my extended family lol

My grandma disowned me and since all my cousins live with her (with their out of wedlock Mexican babies mind you), I can't see my cousins or their kids either. Fortunately the rest of my family is cool, even if they gently caress up terminology and pronouns sometimes.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

cis autodrag posted:

My grandma disowned me and since all my cousins live with her (with their out of wedlock Mexican babies mind you), I can't see my cousins or their kids either. Fortunately the rest of my family is cool, even if they gently caress up terminology and pronouns sometimes.

I should clarify that the Mexican babies are relevant because the reason she disowned me is that she's an apostolic pentecostal Christian and tea party survivalist. Trans is too much but unwed Mexican babies are fine.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
I'm betting that grandma didn't like you much to begin with? Seems like religious people love to use it as a reason to use religion to sever with people.

Religion has not been a positive force in my life.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
a lot of people i'm close with have narcissistic parents, including myself, so :sever: is usually the only good option when dealing with family

i keep reminding the people close to me that family isn't who raised you or who birthed you, it's who you're close to and who you care about the most

it helps sometimes

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I'm betting that grandma didn't like you much to begin with? Seems like religious people love to use it as a reason to use religion to sever with people.

Religion has not been a positive force in my life.

No we were really close. I practically lived with her as a teen because my step-dad beat me so much. Before my mom married my grandma lived with me and my mom. I was her favorite grandson. Just not granddaughter.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
gently caress, that’s so bad. :(

I’m sorry

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress, that’s so bad. :(

I’m sorry

It's OK. I was just sharing because everyone else was sharing :). It's good to talk about common experiences, even bad ones. It helps people realize that the way people treat them is not their fault and there is nothing wrong with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i have really awesome parents and now as an adult am surrounded irl by people who had awful parents, up to and including physical and sexual abuse, and whenever stuff like this comes up i just feel like

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5B-Xy9AOqd4