Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
That's real lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

True Colors won a Peabody Award, making it the first in the series since LiS1 to win in the interactive category. It's pretty rare that multiple games in a franchise are even nominated, so this is pretty cool!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

True Colors won a Peabody Award, making it the first in the series since LiS1 to win in the interactive category. It's pretty rare that multiple games in a franchise are even nominated, so this is pretty cool!

It’s also probably the most well received game since LiS1 as well so that makes sense even though Covid sadly prevented it from being all it could be (the early press releases seemed to advertise a much more expansive game than what we actually got)

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

exquisite tea posted:

That's cool, and I certainly can't think of anything more deserving. :)

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

It’s also probably the most well received game since LiS1 as well so that makes sense even though Covid sadly prevented it from being all it could be (the early press releases seemed to advertise a much more expansive game than what we actually got)

The E3 reveal years ago with the cult voice project dev made it seem like the goal was to really make it feel like a 1 year story, with noticeable and significant changes to the town as time passes. I think that entire half of the town in the distance you can't travel to was supposed to be several locations in the game.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

Whatever got cut from the game probably happened in early 2020, a full year prior to the reveal in March 2021. If you read between the lines from interviews with Deck Nine, that's probably when they decided to spin the Steph DLC into its own thing since it could be more easily managed with one live actor.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

pentiment an easy immediate answer for more deserving

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Whatever got cut from the game probably happened in early 2020, a full year prior to the reveal in March 2021. If you read between the lines from interviews with Deck Nine, that's probably when they decided to spin the Steph DLC into its own thing since it could be more easily managed with one live actor.

Wait, was Wavelengths going to be interwoven into the main game originally or something?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

No, more like they had to cut significant portions of the main story and had to reimagine what would become Wavelengths as something they could do with only one actor.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Super No Vacancy posted:

pentiment an easy immediate answer for more deserving

For “excellence in storytelling that reflects the social issues and emerging voices of our day”?

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

SlothBear posted:

For “excellence in storytelling that reflects the social issues and emerging voices of our day”?

Are you saying the 16th century isn't our day?

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i mean i didnt look up the peabody criteria but yes pentiment does a good job reflecting the arbitrary misery of our day despite being set in the past whereas true colors is fail and cringe and arguably not even "interactive"

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bumping a dead thread to maybe let some people know that Oxenfree got a sequel and it just came out. I know lots of folks played that first one around the time the original life is strange came out and it was popular in similar circles so doing some community service I suppose.

I personally was pretty disappointed and didn’t think the sequel was particularly good but maybe you’ll like it more.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Paul Zuvella posted:

Bumping a dead thread to maybe let some people know that Oxenfree got a sequel and it just came out. I know lots of folks played that first one around the time the original life is strange came out and it was popular in similar circles so doing some community service I suppose.

I personally was pretty disappointed and didn’t think the sequel was particularly good but maybe you’ll like it more.

Does the choices you made in the first game affect the sequel? Like the Walking Dead games?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Edit: Nevermind

Larryb fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 13, 2023

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Alhazred posted:

Does the choices you made in the first game affect the sequel? Like the Walking Dead games?

No, not even superficially

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

A new comic series based on True Colors starts this November:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1683494175294078978

It appears this will be following the Leave with Steph ending:

https://lifeisstrange.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/blog/lisfmngb/

Larryb fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jul 24, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

That's cool, I really liked Claudia Leonardi's art from the original series.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

A new comic series based on True Colors starts this November:

https://twitter.com/LifeIsStrange/status/1683494175294078978

It appears this will be following the Leave with Steph ending:

https://lifeisstrange.square-enix-games.com/en-gb/blog/lisfmngb/

The first comic series was probably the best possible take on a sequel to LiS 1 sad to see the same author isn't writing this one.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

pentyne posted:

The first comic series was probably the best possible take on a sequel to LiS 1 sad to see the same author isn't writing this one.

Ehhhh. I liked it, but there was absolutely some dumb bullshit like the kidnapping and the power of social media in defeating the kidnapping that were just wildly out of place in the story. Definitely took a while to get its feet. Honestly if they'd just ignored all the powers and done a slice-of-life yuri they would have been printing money.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

I read them all last year and barely remember anything about the narrative, didn't seem to really go anywhere. The art was really nice though.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Does the new writer have any noteworthy credits to their name?

Also oddly enough the official Twitter says November but the blog post mentions a December release, not sure who’s right

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Just finished this and loved the game overall, but boy the final chapter was a slog. Having to live and relive a bunch of Alex's trauma that was better left to subtext, the forced helplessness of limping around the mines, and even the triumphant return to the tavern overstayed its welcome. To top if all off the disc I have crashes 3 mins from the end so I had to watch my ending on youtube.

I put Life is Strange 2 in the "so bad it's funny" category with Heavy Rain. I was also expecting very little out of this one but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed exploring the little town and watching characters interact.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

Just finished this and loved the game overall, but boy the final chapter was a slog. Having to live and relive a bunch of Alex's trauma that was better left to subtext, the forced helplessness of limping around the mines, and even the triumphant return to the tavern overstayed its welcome. To top if all off the disc I have crashes 3 mins from the end so I had to watch my ending on youtube.

I put Life is Strange 2 in the "so bad it's funny" category with Heavy Rain. I was also expecting very little out of this one but I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed exploring the little town and watching characters interact.

2 was bad because it really wanted to be "ragh US racism bad" and literally dropped everything people loved about the original including the whole Twin Peaks aspect of the main location itself being a character. A few really cool setpieces though, and the free Captain Spirit episode was better then most of the main ones and actually made episode 2 feel meaningful since you knew some of the characters already.

True Colors was good but underwhelming, it had about 1/2 the content of the regular LiS games. The little turn based RPG section could've been exceptional but it felt like they barely scratched the surface of its potential.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think I heard they planned on doing more with TC but Covid kind of played hell with the production (for example, Wavelengths originally had Steph interacting with customers and actually leaving the store on at least one occasion).

The game was definitely advertised as being more expansive than what we actually got at least

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

True Colors felt like it had heart and character, to me. It mostly worked. I agree that 2 felt like a huge swing and a miss. Not a bad idea conceptually but I think the execution left a lot to be desired.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
For something as short and compact as True Colors, I’d hope for something a little more reactive to player choice. It’s really odd when you have the moment at the end where the town basically votes on whether they believe you or not and then you get the same ending no matter what.

I get that for that story and that character a dark ending would feel pretty mean-spirited, but some element of anything I did mattering would’ve been nice.

Malpais Legate
Oct 1, 2014

2 did not do itself any favors by changing locations and entire casts of characters every episode.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Malpais Legate posted:

2 did not do itself any favors by changing locations and entire casts of characters every episode.

I thought the road trip element was really ambitious and cool in execution in several cases. Several of the stops and characters along the way are big misfires to be sure, but I think the game could’ve survived that if the brothers themselves were more compelling characters.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

While I'm griping about Chapter 5, I'm still not sure why Alex's deadbeat dad had to be one of the miners.

Was it ever shown that Gabe was drawn to Haven because of his dad, or was it just a LIS universe fateful coincidence? Did Jed know about the connection since he knew the dad, Gabe, and Alex all within a few years? Was there any foreshadowing or hints about this before she finds the locket?

man nurse posted:

True Colors felt like it had heart and character, to me. It mostly worked. I agree that 2 felt like a huge swing and a miss. Not a bad idea conceptually but I think the execution left a lot to be desired.

True Colors had a good balance between the tension of typical Life Is Strange drama with cozy and happy vibes. I felt like Alex was finally getting the stability and relationships she deserved.

Whereas I remember laughing at how miserable the characters and the actual game play was in 2. Specifically snipping my fingertips over and over as a slave on a weed farm. The little brother drove me nuts.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

While I'm griping about Chapter 5, I'm still not sure why Alex's deadbeat dad had to be one of the miners.

Was it ever shown that Gabe was drawn to Haven because of his dad, or was it just a LIS universe fateful coincidence? Did Jed know about the connection since he knew the dad, Gabe, and Alex all within a few years? Was there any foreshadowing or hints about this before she finds the locket?

True Colors had a good balance between the tension of typical Life Is Strange drama with cozy and happy vibes. I felt like Alex was finally getting the stability and relationships she deserved.

Whereas I remember laughing at how miserable the characters and the actual game play was in 2. Specifically snipping my fingertips over and over as a slave on a weed farm. The little brother drove me nuts.

It’s touched on briefly in the first episode but that’s about it

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
The #1 thing True Colors needed more than anything else really was the trio needed to have way more time on screen scooby dooing around. The little plotting session in the diner where they steal the USB drive is probably my favorite scene of the whole game.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

The #1 thing True Colors needed more than anything else really was the trio needed to have way more time on screen scooby dooing around. The little plotting session in the diner where they steal the USB drive is probably my favorite scene of the whole game.

There wasn’t even a part where you break into someone’s office to search for clues like the previous 3 games had

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Macaluso posted:

The romances felt extremely out of place because for the dude, you maybe spend 5 minutes of game time alone with him, at least Steph had an actual vibe of a potential romantic partner. Everything was played out via journal entries and social media posts and only worked as characterization some of the time.

And as much as they say Covid cut development short I've never actually seen a roadmap for what was intended outside of the original promo real that made it seem like the town was supposed to change with the seasons. Timewise it was a 10 hour game, and that's being generous with poking around to explore and play with the area maps. The other games came in around 3 hours an episode, at least.

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

Macaluso posted:

For sure! I was hoping they would run interference or bust you out when the cop arrests Alex, help or save you at the mine. They could have even just walked around with Alex in some of the earlier parts.

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

TC needed more time being a lesbian with Steph and less time with some miner plot I could not give two shits about. BTS and original are the best because they have the best gay vibes.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Lis2 is one of my biggest gaming disappointments

I do like how you can shoot the psycho cult lady tho

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Like Larryb said, it's a memory in the first episode : Gabe tracked down their father to Haven but there was no trace of him or any clue where he might have gone from there (obviously). Jed knew, it's why he was so generous to Gabe and then Alex (part guilt, part keeping tabs on them).

E:

Flowing Thot posted:

TC needed more time being a lesbian with Steph and less time with some miner plot I could not give two shits about. BTS and original are the best because they have the best gay vibes.

Speaking of, they're starting to reveal cover arts for the new comic.

Here's the first one :

Kassad fucked around with this message at 08:03 on Sep 12, 2023

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Wowser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, I’m at least looking forward to the new comics and will be curious if we see any more familiar faces other than Alex and Steph (and/or if this will carry on past the initial miniseries like the previous LiS comic did)