Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Bundt Cake posted:

I think Rhonda benefits from support from the UFC thats tantamount to cheating and I hope one of the poor women who trains like its 1999 gets lucky and KOs her

Same

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
It's probably kind of unfair to make that judgment because Rousey probably makes more money than like every other female MMA fighter in the world combined and to act like money doesn't buy you better training is pretty disingenuous

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

1st AD posted:

in a niche sport with few competitors especially at her size.

Like women's mma?

fatherdog
Feb 16, 2005

harley posted:

You're quite a wordsmith.

Shut the gently caress up

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Liz Carmouche rematch since everyone else in the world gets a rematch.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

to act like money doesn't buy you better training is pretty disingenuous

but she wasn't born into wealth & the best training programs on earth. She started out the same as every other women's fighter and has been undefeated from the jump. Her training is going to make her a better fighter as time goes on but the broke Ronda that fought in Strikeforce 3 years ago would still level most of the playing field today. She owns.

Everyone should be happy when Ronda makes millions of dollars and uses that to improve her overall game as a mixed martial artist. It will help fuel the next generation of female fighters that much more.

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

It's probably kind of unfair to make that judgment because Rousey probably makes more money than like every other female MMA fighter in the world combined and to act like money doesn't buy you better training is pretty disingenuous

She was the best before she had the money and continues to improve at an unbelievable rate. She is a hard worker, comically competitive, and deserves the recognition and money that she gets.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

The UFC paid for her to have an apartment in downtown LA for the Carmouche fight so that she wouldn't have to sit in 4 hours of traffic every day between the Hayastan gym and Venice. Meanwhile Liz Carmouche was living in poverty and eating microwave meals.

I mean it kind of is cheating even ignoring the pay differences.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
She also got free, full time training being with the Olympic team while every other fighter had to pay money to take jiu jitsu and striking classes after work.

Hexum
Jul 23, 2003

Tezcatlipoca posted:

She also got free, full time training being with the Olympic team while every other fighter had to pay money to take jiu jitsu and striking classes after work.

She's a loving Olympian. She didn't just turn 18 and become the best. She earned that spot. You people are unbelievable.

Rubellavator
Aug 16, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

I didn't know that the UFC sponsored the olympic team. They probably started doing it as soon as Rousey got on the team.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The worst thing about UFC being Ronda's sponsor is that her fight gear looks like the default selection for a create-a-fighter in a UFC game.

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Her mom being queen judo and Gene LeBell being basically her uncle probably had a lot to do with her becoming a really good fighter.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Hexum posted:

She's a loving Olympian. She didn't just turn 18 and become the best. She earned that spot. You people are unbelievable.

I'm pointing out the differences in training between her and her opponents, nothing else.

Like it's cool to disparage BJ for not having a job and training full time but it isn't okay to point out that Ronda had a similar deal going.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
The unfairness doesn't have to propagated by the UFC to actually be unfairness, though. I certainly wouldn't begrudge Ronda her Olympic background w/r/t her training in the past. Liz Carmouche was supposedly the most legitimate competition for Rousey at the time but for some reason the UFC was paying for Rousey to live within pissing distance of her training while Liz Carmouche was answering telephones to train and didn't have enough money for a loving coffee table?

Professional sports aren't really ever 'fair' with regards to making it or not, but there's going to be such a huge disparity between Rousey and her competition going forward because Ronda probably makes more in passive income bi-monthly than Alexis Davis has made in her life.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010
Ronda owns, not everyone can come from a small mining town and fight their way to greatness.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Like it's cool to disparage BJ for not having a job and training full time but it isn't okay to point out that Ronda had a similar deal going.

Who's ever done that? I think most people are joking when they reference his "I've never worked a day in my life" answer. I don't think I've ever seen anybody mock BJ for dedicating all of his free time to learning jiu jitsu and becoming phenomenal at it. Most people wish they could have done the same thing. I'm missing the part where BJ and Ronda didn't have to work hard to get where they're at.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Ronda probably makes more in passive income bi-monthly than Alexis Davis has made in her life.

This describes nearly every champion and they still lose all the time. Anderson Silva made more money than anybody in the sport and he lost to a guy who was paying installments on a dog and had his house taken by a hurricane. I assure you a lot more goes into being a successful fighter than how much money you have. poo poo, Rampage has all the money for the best training but he hates training so it doesn't do him any good.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

Who's ever done that? I think most people are joking when they reference his "I've never worked a day in my life" answer. I don't think I've ever seen anybody mock BJ for dedicating all of his free time to learning jiu jitsu and becoming phenomenal at it. Most people wish they could have done the same thing. I'm missing the part where BJ and Ronda didn't have to work hard to get where they're at.

lots of people. including me

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

manyak posted:

lots of people. including me

So what's your reason then?

That is such a bizarre thing to have a problem with. A guy had an opportunity in life and took full advantage of it. What an rear end in a top hat.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

This describes nearly every champion and they still lose all the time. Anderson Silva made more money than anybody in the sport and he lost to a guy who was paying installments on a dog and had his house taken by a hurricane. I assure you a lot more goes into being a successful fighter than how much money you have. poo poo, Rampage has all the money for the best training but he hates training so it doesn't do him any good.

There are enough human interest stories in MMA that 'my parents had a lot of money and I just spent all my time training at *local expensive gym* until things clicked' isn't really engaging. It's easy and funny to joke about how dumb the 'this is my last chance to start making money and feed my family' story is but it's certainly probably more engaging than that one kid from TUF a few seasons ago who's choice of introduction was basically 'I'm going to be better than everyone because I don't work and can spend money training'.

The disparity in relative incomes from, for example, a high-ranked middleweight compared to the middleweight champion is going to be a lot smaller than Ronda Rousey to a high-ranked female fighter. We're not talking 'well I only make 60k a year and the champ makes more', we're talking 'I live below the poverty line and the champion is a movie star'.

-Atom-
Sep 13, 2003

Contrarian Dick

Bad At Everything
Anderson Silva was so destitute as a person that he almost killed Rafael Cordeiro for having the gall for wanting to get paid to teach jiu jitsu.

Not all fighters are created equal, opportunities or no.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

1st AD posted:

I want you to reread this and think about why you're wrong.

Okay, I did. Now go back and read where you said "nobody has heard about...Cyborg". I don't know if you're being hyperbolic or just posting more wrong things like usual, but either way I just gave you example of why you're wrong.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Hint: the problem is that 'Cyborg' was known as 'the person who beat up Gina Carrano'. I don't claim to know the old man down the street just because I tell people about 'that weird guy who watches his yard workers'. If someone's an actual draw you'd probably at least be able to remember their loving name.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Yes, people who can't recall Cyborgs name is evidence of people knowing about Cyborg and not evidence that Gina Carano's name still has value.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
Reagan Penn

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

There are enough human interest stories in MMA that 'my parents had a lot of money and I just spent all my time training at *local expensive gym* until things clicked' isn't really engaging. It's easy and funny to joke about how dumb the 'this is my last chance to start making money and feed my family' story is but it's certainly probably more engaging than that one kid from TUF a few seasons ago who's choice of introduction was basically 'I'm going to be better than everyone because I don't work and can spend money training'.

The disparity in relative incomes from, for example, a high-ranked middleweight compared to the middleweight champion is going to be a lot smaller than Ronda Rousey to a high-ranked female fighter. We're not talking 'well I only make 60k a year and the champ makes more', we're talking 'I live below the poverty line and the champion is a movie star'.

I love a good underdog story like everybody else but I also watch MMA to see the best fight the best, and I don't see how Ronda or BJ being born into becoming exceptionally trained fighters is a bad thing.

Yeah the disparity between Ronda and the rest is going to keep growing but with bad comes a lot of good: Ronda is opening doors for all these poverty-stricken female fighters (which I don't think is the case for most. Miesha Tate certainly isn't on food stamps). Liz Carmouche has already been on FOX two times since the Ronda fight. Would Carmouche have been in those fights if she didn't fight for the title? I doubt it.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries

Bubba Smith posted:

That is such a bizarre thing to have a problem with. A guy had an opportunity in life and took full advantage of it. What an rear end in a top hat.

Because he then acts like a giant baby despite people saying he has hawian warrior spirit or what ever bullshit, whilst quitting on the stool

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Shut the gently caress up

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

1st AD posted:

Yes, people who can't recall Cyborgs name is evidence of people knowing about Cyborg and not evidence that Gina Carano's name still has value.

Cool I never said that and never argued against Gina Carano's name value but please continue being wrong.

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Hint: the problem is that 'Cyborg' was known as 'the person who beat up Gina Carrano'. I don't claim to know the old man down the street just because I tell people about 'that weird guy who watches his yard workers'. If someone's an actual draw you'd probably at least be able to remember their loving name.

The point I was driving home was that if people who are very casual/not at all MMA followers can identify her, it's foolish to say that nobody knows who she is. Maybe I should have been more specific but I have talked to that same types of people that can also identify her by name. In terms of being a draw, I'm not really sure she did much to boost Strikeforce or Invicta's numbers, but the UFC could very easily market her making a couple of promos about her being RONDA'S BIGGEST THREAT TO DATE? and putting together clips of her mauling people in Strikeforce and Invicta while she says a couple of lines in broken English about how she's coming for Ronda's belt or whatever.

It's a moot point at this time anyways because like others have said she's not going to get anywhere near Ronda's belt or in the UFC for that matter anytime soon.

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
I like BJ Penn being born into richness and just training all the time because it's just one more aspect of his awesome mythology of being a weirdo pudgy Hawaiian with a baby face and mental problems.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Bubba Smith posted:

its really not bizarre at all. its more bizarre to feign ignorance as to why someone would cheer for a spoiled rich goofball to lose in a fight to a hard working underdog from bad circumstances

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
me watching every sports movie ever: What the gently caress? This is so bizarre, why is this movie following the scrappy underdog from the ghetto with a lot of heart? It could be focusing on the rich guy with access to all the best training facilities who always beats everyone. This is so bizarre

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

No.

Nah that's actually pretty weird to let someone's economic background determine whether or not you're a fan. Here I thought we were watching a sport between two fighters but next time there's a fight I'll look up the tax brackets of their parents and make my decision then.

manyak posted:

me watching every sports movie ever: What the gently caress? This is so bizarre, why is this movie following the scrappy underdog from the ghetto with a lot of heart? It could be focusing on the rich guy with access to all the best training facilities who always beats everyone. This is so bizarre

lmao

MysteryNad
Dec 5, 2003

Here in my guard
I feel safest of all
I can lock up my guard
It's the only way to fight
In guard

manyak posted:

But wasn't Adam Banks instrumental in the Mighty Ducks victory over the Hawks?

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

MysteryNad posted:

But wasn't Adam Banks instrumental in the Mighty Ducks victory over the Hawks?

Yeah, but he's still a cake eater. :colbert:

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
ken watanabe: [dying on the battlefield] was it true... was it true what the guy said in ROcky (1976)
me: yes... retards love the zoo
both: [laughter, crying]

Equilibrium
Mar 19, 2003

by exmarx
I'm gonna need more post-marxist analysis on the origin stories of fightmens to get me through the day

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Bubba Smith posted:

Nah that's actually pretty weird to let someone's economic background determine whether or not you're a fan. Here I thought we were watching a sport between two fighters but next time there's a fight I'll look up the tax brackets of their parents and make my decision then.

Yeah but those fighters are also...people? Is it really so hard to believe a person from a poor background would find inspiration or cheer for a professional fighter who dug his way out of or was still dealing with poverty? It's not about 'hang the rich' it's about relating to people's experiences.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
the human interest story is a massive portion of why anybody cares about almost any fighter and there is no way you could have ignored that for years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

gayest debate of all time and this is including the debate we had over who the hottest ufc fighter was

• Locked thread