Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Given the chance, who/what should I cosplay?
Kane
Commander McNeil
The Kodiak
NOD Soldier
View Results

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Retro Games is one of the deader subforums on a site littered with dead subforums. A new thread in Games proper would make more sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
As the OP for this thread I'll allow sales chat for what may be a cool remaster of awesome games.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

HardDiskD posted:

thinking about that engineer

Nod.gif

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I think you'll find that battleships firing dogs that cause nuclear explosions may, in fact, be the best rules edit.

Only if the battleships are airborne and drop the dogs on their targets like badger bombers :colbert:

I was actually thinking about trying to fix the balance/income issues you pointed out in the TD playthrough, maybe start with making tiberium worth more, spread faster and more deadly to infantry

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

E: nevermind

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
I always liked that mission, it made sense that Nod would have a rougher time when CABAL broke from them. GDI had their own armies and a garrison, Nod...had Steve, Michael, Simon, and five guys who didn't have enough clout or faith to get transferred away from the facility with the giant AI head that burst into maniacal laughter all the time.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

It's always neat when the game recognizes that your fancy AI is gone, so you don't get construction updates and all that anymore.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

THE BAR posted:

It's always neat when the game recognizes that your fancy AI is gone, so you don't get construction updates and all that anymore.

Yeah, it is a neat touch that this mission and the first NOD one doesn't have any voicework for when a unit dies or the power is low. Also like how in Dogma Day Afternoon(best level name by far for GDI missions) it is CABAL and not EVA that comments if you lose a unit, as he was taking command of advising on that mission.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FS NOD 06: The Needs of the Many!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB8lCV7IUJw
The Needs of the Many!

With NOD fractured even further due to the recent rise to power of the rogue AI CABAL, Slavik is tasking us with capturing a version of the GDI AI, EVA. Failure is not an option; without the ability to communicate with other NOD cells located around the globe, it will be impossible to fight back against CABAL, and overthrow GDI afterwards.

Unknown.

Objective: Create distractions to draw away GDI forces, then steal the local EVA unit.

Briefing: Since CABAL has turned on us we are suffering a communications blackout. We are forced to try and obtain GDI's EVA technology. There is a small GDI airbase in this sector. Get your engineer into their radar facility to steal an EVA unit. Create a distraction to occupy GDI air units while you steal the EVA unit. We also have a new unit for you: the Mobile Stealth Generator is now operational. Use it wisely. DATA LINK CLOSED.

Author's note: The MSGs are cool, and are an interesting unit for human players, but I feel like this mission isn't well-suited to their initiation to the series. That aside, I like the flavor of this mission, thought it could probably use a few tweaks.

Name: Anton Slavik
Aliases: Unknown
Affiliation: NOD
Occupation: Faction Leader within the Brotherhood of NOD [The Black Hand of NOD]
Voiced/Played by: Frank Zagarino

Rescued from certain death by Oxanna and a handful of trusted troops, he immediately murders the traitor responsible upon return to his command vehicle. Along with CABAL, he sets out to defend his holding(s) in Egypt from Hassan's forces. Kills Hassan the Betrayer. Is forced to bail out Vega at the behest of Kane, if only because the ship he was flying contains the Tacitus. Is captured alongside Oxanna by GDI forces lead by Commander McNeil. Lives for Kane; Dies for Kane. Captured and converted Commander McNeil's brother, Jake. Survived the 2nd Tiberium War and currently the leader of the Black Hand of NOD. Vying for power against other NOD sub-factions in a bid to become its leader.

Mobile Stealth Generator
RANGE: Short/Medium
ARMOR: Light
WEAPON: N/A

The information on this unit is incomplete and only one has been seen in the field to date. The MSG is Nod’s mobile version of their stealth generator. Fortunately, early reports show that the MSG must be fully deployed in order to function (movement seems to interfere with the stealth fields when used on such a large scale). This unit also has a much smaller area of effect than its immobile equivalent.

Author's Note: An interesting unit, with a cloaking field that is smaller in size than its immobile counterpart. A high cost, and lack of permanent invisibility makes this a high risk, high reward unit when used properly.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

A huge step above the Mobile Gap Generator from RA.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Oddly enough there are unfinished, or finished but unused, mission-end cutscenes for a number of Firestorm missions, including this one. You can find them on Youtube.

There's even an unused map screen and music.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yeah, all the videos that I've "missed" will get posted in the thread once the campaign's over, as per the last game.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Author's note: The MSGs are cool, and are an interesting unit for human players, but I feel like this mission isn't well-suited to their initiation to the series. That aside, I like the flavor of this mission, thought it could probably use a few tweaks.

Pretty much my thoughts exactly on this mission, as just like the last one, this feels like it is missing a step somewhere, and is just way too short in general. Great concept though. As for that undeployed MSA and those silent Light Infantry talking to each other, it was like that on my old disk version of the game as well, so it definitely is something with the level itself and not a unique CnC net version thing.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

UED Special Ops posted:

Pretty much my thoughts exactly on this mission, as just like the last one, this feels like it is missing a step somewhere, and is just way too short in general. Great concept though. As for that undeployed MSA and those silent Light Infantry talking to each other, it was like that on my old disk version of the game as well, so it definitely is something with the level itself and not a unique CnC net version thing.

You know, if its not a version thing, I was thinking...

What if you can't hear it because you don't have EVA/CABAL to intercept the radio transmissions?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Would really have liked to hear an EVA sequence of "Welcome, commander. Initializing protocols. Battlefield control initialized. Mission Accomlished." or something like that at the end.

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You know, if its not a version thing, I was thinking...

What if you can't hear it because you don't have EVA/CABAL to intercept the radio transmissions?

Huh, never thought of that, but that would be a super neat little touch if that is what Westwood was going for.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.

nielsm posted:

Would really have liked to hear an EVA sequence of "Welcome, commander. Initializing protocols. Battlefield control initialized. Mission Accomlished." or something like that at the end.

Ugh. I've just imagined what a C&C installer program would have been like if you got Cabals voice instead when using the Nod disk and now I'm sad that it will never be.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
I'm thinkin'...

C&C Installer Simulator 2020

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FS NOD 07: Determined Retribution

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTMoKIkuNGs
Determined Retribution

With a newly reprogrammed EVA AI, NOD can start to tend to its wounds. While the Brotherhood collects itself, the same should not be allowed for CABAL. Lead a task force against his Core. You will have to disable the laser fence defenses before you approach his core; reinforcements will be provided periodically if you can repair the bridges in the area.

Unknown.

Objective: Disable CABAL's laser fencing and destroy his base!

Briefing: Scorched earth, plain and simple. Locate and destroy all cybernetic forces in the area. The base has a web of laser fences protecting it and CABAL's computer core.

Author's note: I like the return of the bridge reinforcement mechanic that actually helps the player, not quite so much the critical building in a combat zone.

Occupation: Faction Leader within the Brotherhood of NOD [The Black Hand of NOD]

Rescued from certain death by Oxanna and a handful of trusted troops, he immediately murders the traitor responsible upon return to his command vehicle. Along with CABAL, he sets out to defend his holding(s) in Egypt from Hassan's forces. Kills Hassan the Betrayer. Is forced to bail out Vega at the behest of Kane, if only because the ship he was flying contains the Tacitus. Is captured alongside Oxanna by GDI forces lead by Commander McNeil. Lives for Kane; Dies for Kane. Captured and converted Commander McNeil's brother, Jake. Survived the 2nd Tiberium War and currently the leader of the Black Hand of NOD. Vying for power against other NOD sub-factions in a bid to become its leader.

N/A

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, since I wrapped up the campaign earlier this week, I delved into the mission editor and found something very interesting, although broken.

Despite that setback, I think I have been able to make the most of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anx-wn7omjk

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Home of the Nod Dog

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Now I need to know what is (on) a NOD Dog.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You can prolly guess what the green stuff is.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I relish the challenge.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
NOD Dog

1x Beef Hot Dog (Spicy)
1x Handful of Banana Peppers (Red Only)
1x Line of ketchup
1x Line of honey mustard

Bun is either Plain, Whole Wheat (for initiates/recruits), or infused with black pepper (assassination target)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Also, I have to mention this again but I love Frank Zagarino and, aside from Kane, he's the best character/actor. He blows the GDI cutscenes out of the water by comparison.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, in both the base game and here I felt the NOD scenes had more oomph than the GDI ones

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Now I need to know what is (on) a NOD Dog.

honestly it's just a big mound of reheated Chitzkoi, but they put bright green relish on it and tell you it's the cool new thing

UED Special Ops
Oct 21, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Really like how this mission is pretty much a dark mirror image of the GDI capture CABAL's Core mission. And yeah, NOD's arsenal is actually pretty well set up to deal with slow moving Cyborgs, and it gives Tick Tank's an actual purpose, plus CABAL so far has been incredibly vulnerable to NOD's bread and butter mass capture tactic. Not much else to say about it though, you get tons of reinforcements and as long as you rush CABAL's missile outpost, the mission plays out pretty smoothly.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, I have to mention this again but I love Frank Zagarino and, aside from Kane, he's the best character/actor. He blows the GDI cutscenes out of the water by comparison.

Fully agreed, the way he played Slavic is just perfect, and I love how zealous he gets in the mission briefing when ordering the attack on CABAL's Core. Then again, just like in C&C1 and Red Alert the "evil" faction always has the best cutscenes. Shame that the budget on Firestorm was obviously so small, would have been nice to have Slavic play off of more people, and/or have Oxanna back. It was a nice touch however when EVA was reprogrammed its' color shifted to red.

UED Special Ops fucked around with this message at 10:14 on Mar 18, 2020

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I really like the bit in the intro where they're reprogramming EVA to work under Nod parameters.

Also, no way the Nod Dog isn't topped by a couple fried scorpions. Or at least scorpion peppers.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

anilEhilated posted:

I really like the bit in the intro where they're reprogramming EVA to work under Nod parameters.

Also, no way the Nod Dog isn't topped by a couple fried scorpions. Or at least scorpion peppers.

drat forget what i said about the banana peppers

Radio Free Kobold
Aug 11, 2012

"Federal regulations mandate that at least 30% of our content must promote Reptilian or Draconic culture. This is DJ Scratch N' Sniff with the latest mermaid screeching on KBLD..."

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Also, since I wrapped up the campaign earlier this week, I delved into the mission editor and found something very interesting, although broken.

Despite that setback, I think I have been able to make the most of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anx-wn7omjk

"He's going to blow up the church, isn't he"
"AHA! MORE GDI WARCRIMES!"

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
I think you'll find that it was a funeral home that was located next to the Double D House

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

A 'Funeral Home' where bodies are processed to prepare them for their afterlife right next to the hotdog eatery.I
:thunk:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
FS NOD 08: Harvester Hunting

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHhMGN--XKc
Harvester Hunting

A dreadful cooperation has taken place, as both the Brotherhood of NOD and the GDI must continue working together to take down CABAL. With both groups having gathered information on CABAL's core's whereabouts, each group must damage outlying support facilities in order to weaken CABAL's forces enough for a final attempt at destroying the AI, once and for all!

Unknown.

Objective: Protect the civilians in the area and destroy CABAL's harvesting operations in the area.

Briefing: Prior to our main assault on CABAL, we need to slow down his production capabilities. CABAL is harvesting Tiberium heavily in Eastern Africa. Proceed there and eliminate CABAL's harvesting facilities. Our forces are scattered at this
time and we can only afford to provide you with a small strike force. Use the new Fist of Nod mobile production facility to build up an effective strike force and crush them. DATA LINK CLOSED.

Author's note: One of my favorite Firestorm maps; lots of flavour and a not-to-strict constraint for the player makes for a fun and interesting level.

Name: Lieutenant-General Cortez
Aliases: None
Affiliation: GDI
Voiced/Played by: Efrain Figueroa

De Facto leader following GDI's inability to maintain contact with the USS Philadelphia. Appears to be on a first-name basis with Dr. Boudreau. Thought that leaving all of CABAL's cyborgs alive was a good idea.

N/A

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
holy lol the beginning with those harvesters scattering like roaches when a light's turned on

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Not gonna lie, Slavik and Cortez are pretty great together.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

anilEhilated posted:

Not gonna lie, Slavik and Cortez are pretty great together.

Yeah, like with McNeil in the main NOD campaign, it really shows despite his big picture cooler heads approach to military leadership, Slavik is still a deeply petty man who never forgets slights agsinst him. He's just able to grit his teeth and swallow his pride for the moment to do the needful right now and wait for the right opportunity in the future to serve his revenge cold.

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

It's nice they give you the engineers to give the player freedom to try and turn the mission into a base-building one. Unless they are meant to be rapid healing for the mobile factory (if that's even possible)?

I suppose the map is supposed to be the player setting up a group of artillery, tanks and stealth tanks to blow up refineries, buffer and spot - and then run around the map picking off refineries and relocating your factory in the nick of time to avoid missile launches. Cool concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SIGSEGV
Nov 4, 2010

That one mission really brings out the very annoying part of enemy buildings respawning. It's annoying enough when it happens in a regular mission, but in a funding and production limited one with actual opposition, that laser turret popping the refinery is the ur-example for "that's bad."