Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Kilometers Davis posted:

I think he used a full scale on some albums though.

Probably the Rickenbacker years. Anyways I've though about short scale until I realized one of the things I like most about bass is the long scale. Unless it's a kid's instrument. I swear I've had more fun jamming on my daisy rock guitar that's like 22(?) inches scale and have been sorely tempted to get the squier mini p bass, but I'm too lazy to flip the strings/recarve the nut and that money could be put to better things atm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
did a quick setup on the Talman, 2 strings were intonated perfectly, others needed a small tweak. 1/4 turn tighter on the truss rod and an action lower and it's boppin' now

Really impressed with what one can get for two hundred ameri-woolongs these days, jeez. gone are the days of having to buy a plywood Hamer for $349 if you want a new entry-level instrument

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Ibanez makes a short-scale hollowbody that I badly want even though I have no idea what I would do with it.

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011
So I built a Greenboy Fearful 15/6 and it, uh, moves some air.

Unfortunately I think one of the crossover boards is physically resonating (rattling super loud) when I play a D, so I'll have to open it back up and stick some foam under it or something.

I also found out my ceiling fan resonates a lot too. And I need to make a pedal board...

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
hunting around for a setup that will let me go series/parallel with a pull pot on a Jazz control setup

Just looking at the pot wiring... This seems...wrong? I thought volume controls were normally wired up as a voltage divider. Wouldn't this wreck the treble as the volume's rolled off?

e: oh i get it, instruments with 2 volumes and a selector switch get wired as a divider as i'm thinking. OK got it, carry on.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Dec 14, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Oh, a quick newbie review of the talman passive short scale(TMB30):

+ it's light and very well balanced
+ it fits with Me on the Couch which is where i wanted to noodle on it on
+ Managed to get perfect intonation and i can play chords at any spot on the neck and they hum
+ LOUD pickups. Considerably hotter than even the aftermarket rails I put in my 5 Jazz
+ Build quality is amazing, i have not found one real finish flaw yet
+ Action can be slammed way the gently caress down with no buzz (see note 1 though)

- (note 1) The P pickup bottoms out before giving adequate clearance when you lower the action, but there is still space between the P pickup bottom and the wood; the screw's just too long. Gonna file it down a couple mm
- Tone knob's nut was a little loose. I super don't give a poo poo about ''' manufacturing defects ''' like this because I can and did fix it with my wrenches
- Sound sucks when both pickups are on full. A lot of phase cancellation and nerfing of the sound. TBH not even sure the jazz bridge pickup is useful here. Doubly so because evidently it's a route for a neck size J pickup, so you won't find a true match unless you wanna hog out the routing a couple MM

So far i'm just leaving it on full neck pickup, 10-20% bridge pickup and 10-20% tone knob. It's incredibly smooth and boppy here, no clanks, no farts, just a good bass tone. Looking forward to see if/how this changes when I slap the flats on.

None of its problems are insurmountable and I think it's a loving amazing deal for $189 (btw zzounds' tax calculator is hosed up and you'll get it for $11 less if you order from them vs sweetwater). It is achieving the goal I wanted, which is to have a light, small bass that I can noodle on when i'm bored WFH and staring at a laptop while sitting on the couch. What a cool instrument.

My future plans for it will be the aforementioned flatwounds, neck pot swapped to a pull pot for series/parallel, bridge pot switched to a phase switcher, and i'm going to do a DIY varitone with a chicken head knob because I think it'll look and sound real hot. May post a video when that stuff is sorted out; all the electronics for that are on order.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Dec 15, 2021

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older

Jonny 290 posted:

Sound sucks when both pickups are on full. A lot of phase cancellation and nerfing of the sound.
I think that's pretty normal for a PJ (or even a Jazz), and the reason why they have separate volumes/blend instead of a switch.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Has anyone here hosed with playing keys and bass at the same time? I've been trying it out, and trying to figure out what's the best type small keyboard/synth to use for the task (me thumping with my left hand on the bass and my right hand playing notes or chords on the keys).

I managed to break the middle C key of my AKAI Professional Mini-play, and my Yamaha psr F51, according to my bandmates, doesn't sound cool (I think the singer asking if I could play the Beverly Hills Cop theme song lol).

Anyone ever do this? Any opinions for a rock band playing out thing? I guess I can ask the keyboard or synth thread, but figure I can ask here first.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

As always, we turn to Geddy Lee: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ci_c77eQlk

Bass pedals + normal keyboard instead of playing bass guitar and keyboards.

Cru Jones
Mar 28, 2007

Cowering behind a shield of hope and Obamanium
A lot of keyboards and digital pianos can also split the keys where you want into two different "instruments" as well.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
There's that Moog Taurus synth pedal thingy. The bassist in The Sword is using that to fill in the keyboard poo poo that was on the album apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUNXngkXmQc&t=1620s

No idea if that's what the pedals are that Geddy's using in the previous clip.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Goddamn that keyboard setup (Moog, plus Moog Taurus pedals right? And then what is that an Oberheim?) loving amazing.

I wish I got to see Rush live.

e: ^^^ I want it. Apparently the 2009 version only has 1500 copies out lol. Wtf take my money goddamn.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Dec 16, 2021

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A theoretical question. Why would my SX 5 string have like 6-8 db less output than my ibanez 4? Pickup height is the same, the ibanez is 30" and the SX is 34", but the latter is just quiet as hell. To the point that i bought a clean boost pedal just to push my Ashdown's tube pre. Can string choice (they are both on factory strings at the moment) make a difference? Wondering if Rondo just loaded the SX up with trash pot metal strings. I know pickup choice matters but I actually put aftermarket rail pickups in the SX and it didn't really make a difference - it was purely a swap for the cosmetics I wanted - but i am surprised that, if it is the pickups, I hit the loser spot on the roulette wheel twice in a row.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Shageletic posted:

Has anyone here hosed with playing keys and bass at the same time? I've been trying it out, and trying to figure out what's the best type small keyboard/synth to use for the task (me thumping with my left hand on the bass and my right hand playing notes or chords on the keys).

I managed to break the middle C key of my AKAI Professional Mini-play, and my Yamaha psr F51, according to my bandmates, doesn't sound cool (I think the singer asking if I could play the Beverly Hills Cop theme song lol).

Anyone ever do this? Any opinions for a rock band playing out thing? I guess I can ask the keyboard or synth thread, but figure I can ask here first.

there's no reason to play bass and keyboard at the same time. you can play a bassline with your left hand on the keyboard, and taking a hand away from a bass guitar means you're sacrificing tons of muting ability. pick one or the other.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
This, but bass:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDkifmkSJmc

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
I just got my labella flats and put them on my Talman. Oh my god. ohmygod. this is so cool.

e: also got knobs in! Test fit to see how they look; i dig it.

and yes ill pull the plastic off after i finish actually doing the wiring

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Dec 17, 2021

The Wiggly Wizard
Aug 21, 2008

You can play bass and keys at the same time using loops or sustain, left hand plucking, tapping etc. It can sound good and you would do it if you are playing alone or without a keyboard player.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmflRFCcGg8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyw6d_JvewA

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Very cool!

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Anybody got any takes, hot or otherwise, on swapping VVT control setups to volume, blend (like with a real Bourns or CTS blend pot, not some $3 horseshit), tone setup? I find vvt just annoying and not really useful. Passive all around.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

My take (from thinking about it last night) is it would be sick with a push-pull phase inverter

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
well i just happen to have had a half dozen 250k fender push pulls delivered today

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's christmas, it's allowed. Three Bourns 250k blend pots on the way. I'll report back!

I have actually vetoed my original plan to put a DIY Varitone switch into my new Talman as with the flatwounds it's just, well, it's got one sound and it's extremely loving good. I'm redirecting the varitone effort to this hosed up SX jazz 5 that has like 10db less output and i suspect it's because the pots are garbage, so i'm gonna use that as my guinea pig and take it to volume (with phase switch on the pull) - blend - varitone (with a proper chicken head knob) and see if that keeps it off Craigslist.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
step 1 of jazz bass fixup is done. got a series/parallel pull pot on neck volume now. Good output! Still lower then my talman i'm wondering if maybe the tone pot is sucking some signal down. The fiddling continues!

e: to avoid a quad (lol):

Added a phase push/pull for the bridge. Results: Eh. So much cancellation. Makes some neat reedy tones i guess but not super into it.

The real cool part: Built a varitone and swapped the tone pot. Holy poo poo that's cool. Used like 470 pf, 1000pf, 3300pf, 10000pf and the stock 47000pf caps, with the first position a full bypass. Neat sounds on every position and I'm feeling there's a bit more output. Sold. I used a make-before-break 6 position switch so I didn't have to wire 10meg resistors between every cap and ground to avoid pops. Has just the tiniest click when i switch positions, totally fine.

I'm going to experiment with master vol/blend/varitone controls once the blend pots are in, and i'll try both a series/parallel switch and phase switch on the volume pull.

Jonny 290 fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Dec 20, 2021

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Stopped in a GC last night to pick up something for my kids Xmas present and picked up a Sire V7 Vintage. Super impressed, but not surprised. I'd picked up one of their lower end models before and it was great. This thing was fantastic.

I think most impressive was the preamp. Specifically the fact that, with it set flat, I couldn't hear any difference in tone when switching back and forth between active and passive.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Any Form Factor fans, here? This year, I replaced my old SWR rig with a BI1000DI and a matched 15", and I absolutely love the clean sound. It's full, it's punchy, and it fits perfectly in the back of my car along with all the PA equipment I haul around now.

My next phase is building a pedalboard. Playing blues rock, I rarely have had to go far outside of my clean tone. But, we do play some more aggressive alt rock/punk covers that would benefit from an additional preamp, compressor or overdrive pedal, and I would like to know if anyone has had any good recommendations.

So far, I have a tuner, MXR M288 Octave and MXR M84 fuzz, with about enough space for two more pedals. I have experimented with my v1 VT Bass, but I feel like its internal EQ just doesn't quite fit the rig (no toggle for that speak simulation, and even rolling the highs all the way off and the lows all the way up can't quite match). I also tried out my old ZVEX Box of Rock, which did surprisingly well at allowing the full range, but doesn't quite hit the mids right and comes out muddled. I've just been blending in a little fuzz to compensate, so far, but could use a better solution.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 22, 2021

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight

Jeff Goldblum posted:

Any Form Factor fans, here? This year, I replaced my old SWR rig with a BI1000DI and a matched 15", and I absolutely love the clean sound. It's full, it's punchy, and it fits perfectly in the back of my car along with all the PA equipment I haul around now.

My next phase is building a pedalboard. Playing blues rock, I rarely have had to go far outside of my clean tone. But, we do play some more aggressive alt rock/punk covers that would benefit from an additional preamp, compressor or overdrive pedal, and I would like to know if anyone has had any good recommendations.

So far, I have a tuner, MXR M288 Octave and MXR M84 fuzz, with about enough space for two more pedals. I have experimented with my v1 VT Bass, but I feel like its internal EQ just doesn't quite fit the rig (no toggle for that speak simulation, and even rolling the highs all the way off and the lows all the way up can't quite match). I also tried out my old ZVEX Box of Rock, which did surprisingly well at allowing the full range, but doesn't quite hit the mids right and comes out muddled. I've just been blending in a little fuzz to compensate, so far, but could use a better solution.

I recently got a Darkglass B3Kv2 and absolutely love it. It's a more "modern" sounding overdrive, and the mid-boost makes it cut through pretty much anything.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9YKoNEuGoAA

If you want a preamp with an extra channel, check out their B7k Ultra

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSem8Zsa-vQ

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I have the B7k, I should play with it more. I'm just having so much fun playing with my Oceans Eleven reverb pedal I can't focus on it.

It also kinda narrows the sound in my exp which is esp noticeable if you have a compressor on constantly, like I do.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

My brother got me D'addario nylon tapewounds for Christmas. I'm very excited to put these on my 5 string when I get home.

He also got me a mini OC-2-like pedal, which sounds fun.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
A few days late but... Merry Christmas from the Family!

Wife got me a Levy's leather strap and it is CRAZY comfortable.

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Basic Poster posted:

While yall are on the subject of transcriptions, I came across a tune the other day while choring, one of the rare times spotify throws something at me good.

The bass really hit me. I just love those subtle bass lines that sound almost like, not there until you critically listen. This has some pretty tasty little phrases in it, that I am having a hell of a time figuring out. They are mostly always on the pick up (anacruses? If its not just at the beginning of the song?)

It has a bit of a weird structure and since the hook is the same as the verse, with more stuff, I'll write out a section thing for clarity:

2 Bars Drum Intro
4 Bars Instrumental Intro
8 Bars Verse (A)
8 Bars Pre-Chorus
8 Bar Hook
4 Additional Bars Hook + String Melody
:repeat:
Bridge in there later with a cool chord sub.

The first one in question is like a slide to a one octave one thing, maybe one five one thing...not sure, and can't tell what interval it starts on. Its at the end of the fourth bar after all the instruments come in (6th bar in from 0:00).

Second one may be the same, but because of the change after, hard to tell what is being used as the leading tone (Goes to C# minor in the prechorus). So in the fourth measure before the prechorus.

Both are neat little slide licks. If I had that technique in my wheel house, I'm sure I'd play it without thinking about it...but I bet on of you guys do!

Anyways, can't find anyone doing any bass cover or tabbed or charted it yet. Tastes aside, I think its one of the more expertly crafted pop songs I've heard in a long time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHI_WpVLT1g

FINALLY

I did it. Overcame a person hurdle. This song is sort of tricky, here is the things I found out via a few days of really really trying to figure it out. I think I have it all.

I'll try to work on a transcription...its going to be real hard to notate it, but I'll try. Here is what I think my ears were really into that I didnt really know.

The main vamp is (Im sure Im totally wrong here, but) an E major thing. The Prechorus which has the tastiest riffs is the relative minor (D#m). Really its not complicated but small changes give it a whole other feel. The roots are like this:

Intro / verses:

E (on B string with E to B to E)
C# (6th)- This is the main note really that changes between parts and delineates verse v chorus
F# (2nd)
D# (7th??!?!?) - This makes me think I'm full off and its some modal thing because this feels like a resolution rather than the diminished.

Then it does the relative minor thing for the pre chorus:
C#
D#
G#
Then Sort of fills out what I believe to be a B chord leading back to the C#

For the other sections, they are basically the same as the first part. But there are two versions:
Early Verse:
E on the A string (HO / PO) with D whole step back
F# (HO/PO) G#
Then back to the F# (2nd), D#(7th)

And another version where the C# is replaced by F#.

The cool licks are (before the change to D#m for the prechorus)
Slickety Slidey - D# Slide down a whole step to C#, tag F# (4th of the C#) then the C# octave.

It resolves one of two ways. If its heading into the relative minor prechorus, its B to C#
If its going back into the chorus that starts on the E on the A string, it slides from C# to E.

There are a few others in there that I'm not 100% on but they occur before and after the plucked fill over the B Chord part that goes C# (HO) D# (PO) C# B

I'll keep chopping on it and try to get it performance grade. There are some fairly tricky parts in it. Big dives, quickish runs, etc. I think its very fun to play though and I bet many folks would pick up a few cool slicks out of it.

Structurally its sort of cool because the bass part alone has its intro bars pretty simple, builds in complexity where it gets its most complext really before the bridge and just vamps out. All the excitement in the last hook / tag is really all done with some pretty basic vampy fills that are easy and some big slides to support part transition, which is a little odd in a cool way. Instead of adding continually to complexity throughout the some for the big crescendo, its really the most complex before the bridge or middle 8 or whatever, then just sort of grooves at a steady plateau from there on out.

Its also a pretty cool thing to learn just because it forces you to really think about slides, hammers and pulls, and fret position when each is done because of the big time sensitive dives to other positions. Has some non linearity, etc.

I like it. Even if whatever this brit bedroom pop girl and australian cool teen producers isnt your thing, the bass part is pretty tastey.

Also sorry about the bollocks transcription thing. Ive never written tabs and could chart it, but I think those that have would agree, to get this playable in that format, there is a lot of like...dotted 16ths and real tight rests that would make it, not a jazz piece, but difficult for a pop transcription. I'll try to do a YT cover and start there as those are the most expeditious for the general other.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Just got a call from the shop I ordered my new bass from, Ibanez called them this afternoon and let them know that model has been discontinued. Back to the drawing board :\

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Frozen Pizza Party posted:

Just got a call from the shop I ordered my new bass from, Ibanez called them this afternoon and let them know that model has been discontinued. Back to the drawing board :\

That sucks. I'm waiting around to see if I'll be in the same boat as you with getting a bass I totally don't need off of Sweetwater. Hard to tell what's just supply problems and what's "this ain't worth it to make anymore" problems.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

That sucks. I'm waiting around to see if I'll be in the same boat as you with getting a bass I totally don't need off of Sweetwater. Hard to tell what's just supply problems and what's "this ain't worth it to make anymore" problems.

I think it's a little bit of both for a lot of things. In talking with the guy, it seems they discontinued the finish, so I've placed another order for the same bass in a different color (sr1600b-chf). My worry now is that these are going away to make room for the 2022 model which will undoubtedly become available no more than 7 days after my exchange/return window closes. From what I can tell that's not a thing yet, but we'll see.

This is becoming some kind of thing trying to get an Ibanez. I wanted to use the store credit card because free financing and rotating credit keeps the scores high but at this point it may just be worth it to find it elsewhere and buy it if available. We'll see what kind of lead time Ibanez offers on Monday I guess.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
Happy New Year bass thread! Anyone have any bass-related resolutions?

I'm trying to get off my rear end and finally write/finish-writing a handful of original sketches that I've been letting sit around for way too loving long. I've got a great line-up of guys I've played with in the past, as well as a few I've met recently here in Denver. Hoping to get an EP together. It'll certainly be interesting because a few of the guys are across the country, so we'll be collaborating remotely.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Practice more/with more intention. I've been struggling to play for more than 20 minutes at a time before getting bored/tired. (Full-time job and the pandemic aren't helping, of course.)

Transcribe more bass lines, because that's been one thing that's helped me start focused longer, and it's a lot of fun. Plus some songs I like just don't have accurate tabs.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I was a bit inebriated last night and ordered an expensive new bass from Sweetwater. At least I made a decent choice I guess.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Play bass and sing. You know, in front of people.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Build more. Gig more. Maybe live shows will come back?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I've been playing for about a year now, I feel like I'm in better habits than I was playing 6-string back in university, but it's been almost 100% using Rocksmith to learn songs, and I do feel like I've hit a wall and there's a lot I still don't understand. Like I still find moving to the D and G strings difficult, I can't identify a note or where one would be on the fretboard. I'm going to hit some theory sites and tutorials but I feel like there's stuff I need to be doing beyond reproducing songs off Rocksmith to progress from where I am?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

BizarroAzrael posted:

I've been playing for about a year now, I feel like I'm in better habits than I was playing 6-string back in university, but it's been almost 100% using Rocksmith to learn songs, and I do feel like I've hit a wall and there's a lot I still don't understand. Like I still find moving to the D and G strings difficult, I can't identify a note or where one would be on the fretboard. I'm going to hit some theory sites and tutorials but I feel like there's stuff I need to be doing beyond reproducing songs off Rocksmith to progress from where I am?

If you haven't, pick up the notetracker's bass practice packs. They're not anything to write home about, but there are specifics for string skipping, switching, etc. which is a somewhat more fun way to drill that stuff into your mind, at least in my experience (I also do lots of rocksmith).