Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
There is an online dating thread in E/N but threads along the lines of general "Help me land this person I'm into" advice are banned because they tend to attract creepy PUA types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

100 HOGS AGREE
Oct 13, 2007
Grimey Drawer
Why does $3401 seem to be such a common bet in Final Jeopardy? Am I just noticing a trend that isn't there or is there something to that bet?

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
There's some math that goes into the optimal final jeopardy bet. Basically you want to bet just enough so that the second place person can't catch you if you're both right. If you have a big lead you want to bet an amount where even if you're wrong and 2nd is right they still won't catch up. I don't know why that number would pop up more than any other xxx1 type of bet though.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most humans aren't able to do that kind of math with 4- and 5-digit numbers in their heads quickly under pressure, they just remember rules of thumb and put together a number vaguely in the ballpark of the ideal value.

Watson, being a computer, was able to calculate an exact statistical confidence score for its guesses and would make perfectly precise and arbitrary wagers, much to Alex Trebek's amusement. Of course by the time it got to final it usually had several times the cash of the other contestants anyway.

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

haveblue posted:

Most humans aren't able to do that kind of math with 4- and 5-digit numbers in their heads quickly under pressure, they just remember rules of thumb and put together a number vaguely in the ballpark of the ideal value.

It isn't that hard. If you have 8,000 and 2nd place has 3,000 you don't want to bet more than 1,999 since that would keep you, at worst, 1 higher than the best they could do. The numbers aren't usually that clean, but it isn't like they have to do some complicated algebraic equation on the fly.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

There's some math that goes into the optimal final jeopardy bet.

There's a really nice wagering calculator at https://www.j-archive.com/wageringcalculator.php which goes into a lot of detail about the reasoning behind the wagers.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I have a fax machine, a DSL modem and a phone line on one phone line. I have a 3 way adapter, the dsl is plugged in one, the fax and phone have dsl filters on them. When I turn on my fax/printer why will fax noise be heard when a person picks up the phone?

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
Check out this How Stuff Works article. The short version is: everything in your house is sharing the one phone line. The DSL filters make it so anything you have hooked up to them can't "hear" the noise the DSL model uses to communicate. The DSL modem has a similar internal filter to make sure it doesn't "hear" your voice communications. Still, your phone and fax are sharing the same bandwidth on the same wire - you still only have on phone line - so they can't really filter each other out.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Gravity Pike posted:

Check out this How Stuff Works article. The short version is: everything in your house is sharing the one phone line. The DSL filters make it so anything you have hooked up to them can't "hear" the noise the DSL model uses to communicate. The DSL modem has a similar internal filter to make sure it doesn't "hear" your voice communications. Still, your phone and fax are sharing the same bandwidth on the same wire - you still only have on phone line - so they can't really filter each other out.

The filter actually prevents your other devices from making GBS threads up the range that DSL uses. The DSL modem should be connected before the 3-way adapter as it may not pass the DSL frequencies properly. His problem has nothing to do with DSL, though. He'd be better off using something like The Stick which will prevent other devices from picking up on the line when it's in use. The Stick will also automatically route calls with CNG tones to the fax port so fax calls don't ring on the phone ports.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

I'm going crazy trying to find out the name of a stand up comedian I saw once on Comedy Central at like 4:00 am.

He was on some sort of like "Hip New Comedians" show where they had a bunch of different comedians on that were all kind of hanging out in a bar and talking about each other intercut with clips of them performing.

The guy seemed to be generally drunk the entire time and I think a few of the other comedians were jokingly insisting he had an actual drinking problem.

He has a pretty bitching beard and wears a lot of flannel.

Every element of this sounds a lot like Comedian's Comedian Kyle Kinane. GIS can verify his predilection for flannel.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

GimpChimp posted:

Every element of this sounds a lot like Comedian's Comedian Kyle Kinane. GIS can verify his predilection for flannel.

I love you, that's exactly who it is!

Now to waste my night watching youtube videos.

ZeroDays
Feb 11, 2007

the fuck you know about what i need on my mind mother fucker
Is there a term for the type of argument that goes along the lines "there are much worse things happening in the world than [whatever] so get a grip/focus on what's important"?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
It's sort of a false dichotomy in that it implies people can't focus on two things at once.

Trigger Warning
Feb 7, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Is there a particular thread in Games for asking for game recommendations?

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

How is the effect in these pictures achieved?

http://grinvi4.tumblr.com

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Stereograms converted to 2 frame animated gifs
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereogram

Smeep
Jan 20, 2004

Thanks!

Jesus in Corlew
Jan 11, 2012

Trigger Warning posted:

Is there a particular thread in Games for asking for game recommendations?

Right here

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

When I travel to the states this summer, what options do I have for buying a temporary SIM card or phone so I don't have to deal with roaming rates? I'll probably be there for 3-4 weeks in total, mostly in SoCal, AZ and Vegas.

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

greazeball posted:

When I travel to the states this summer, what options do I have for buying a temporary SIM card or phone so I don't have to deal with roaming rates?

To put it bluntly: a fuckload.

All of the major providers have their own pre-paid services and there are a ton of other services that piggyback off the major providers.

ATT has GO Phone, Verizon has Prepay, and T-Mobile has Prepaid.

Then you have the other options that piggyback off the other services like Net10, TracFone, Straight Talk, Virgin Mobile, and Boost Mobile.

If you're going to be here for a month, you're probably going to better off going with one of the Monthly Unlimited packages, which is going to run you around $50 with almost any provider plus the cost of the phone.

To narrow it down further, I would take a look at coverage maps and find a provider that has good service in all the places you plan on being.

Hope that's not an information overload.

Kitsch!
Jul 27, 2006

God made Adam and Eve, not Fluffy and Eve.
Anyone know what this font is (or a similar one on DaFont?) WhatTheFont isn't being helpful...

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE posted:

Hope that's not an information overload.

That's brilliant, cheers!

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D
Is there a mathematical theory to explain questions such as "are the chances of being in a plane crash independent to each plane ride or do they increase with each plane ride?"

Or is that one of those tree falling in a forest questions?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Cole posted:

Is there a mathematical theory to explain questions such as "are the chances of being in a plane crash independent to each plane ride or do they increase with each plane ride?"

I don't know about a specific theory but the latter half of that is an example of the gambler's fallacy (and incorrect).

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Cole posted:

Or is that one of those tree falling in a forest questions?

Is this what you're looking for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_%28probability_theory%29

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Kitsch! posted:

Anyone know what this font is (or a similar one on DaFont?) WhatTheFont isn't being helpful...

Not sure. I also sent it through whatthefont and the closest fonts were

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/mawns/stroke-dimension/stroke-dimension/

and

http://www.myfonts.com/fonts/typotheticals/reluxed/3-d/

It's probably a hand-drawn thing, not a font.

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!
Nah, it's a font. I've seen it before, and TinEye found two similar examples, but no font name.

Since it's a playful font, you might have better luck here.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Feb 25, 2012

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
Does anyone know where I can find a recording on the internet of a pre-56k modem connecting? All the ones I can find are of that. Even ones on Youtube that claim to be 2400 modems are just 56k tones.

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Kitsch! posted:

I'm having decent luck with Google and various combinations of the search terms "3d", "shadow", "drop shadow", and "block" + font.

Closest one I found before I got bored was Lunch by Anthem Type.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

Does anyone know where I can find a recording on the internet of a pre-56k modem connecting? All the ones I can find are of that. Even ones on Youtube that claim to be 2400 modems are just 56k tones.

You know that the same tones were used right? Modems using v.22 or later standards (which goes from 1200 baud up to 56k) had more or less the same general sound - the big difference you'd hear is the length and timing of the handshake.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Install Gentoo posted:

You know that the same tones were used right? Modems using v.22 or later standards (which goes from 1200 baud up to 56k) had more or less the same general sound - the big difference you'd hear is the length and timing of the handshake.

I remember connecting with a 2400 did not have the jumpy squeals and stuff in the middle that 56Ks had. It was always a more steady whine. Length and timing, sure, but as long as I find one that sounds like a 2400. And it's not just me - in the Youtube video that claims to be a 2400, a comment points out that, no, this is a 56K connecting.

For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfu0v3x_fZQ&feature=related - claims to be 14.4, comment says it's higher (and I agree), I remember 2400 modems would not have that jumpy tone starting at 0:04.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Feb 26, 2012

BART IM PISS
Aug 4, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Why do I sometimes find one single playing card on the sidewalk?

There are no shysters playing card games for cash around here.

Is it something to do with drugs? A calling-card type situation?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Golbez posted:

I remember connecting with a 2400 did not have the jumpy squeals and stuff in the middle that 56Ks had. It was always a more steady whine. Length and timing, sure, but as long as I find one that sounds like a 2400. And it's not just me - in the Youtube video that claims to be a 2400, a comment points out that, no, this is a 56K connecting.

For example, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfu0v3x_fZQ&feature=related - claims to be 14.4, comment says it's higher (and I agree), I remember 2400 modems would not have that jumpy tone starting at 0:04.

You're almost certainly just misremembering what they sounded like - when was the last time you used one? Anyway, try this: http://www.metacafe.com/watch/439082/forward_compatible_by_jonah_brucker_cohen/

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

ImmortalYawn posted:

There are no shysters playing card games for cash around here.

Is it something to do with drugs? A calling-card type situation?
Sometimes kids put them in the spokes of their bikes?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

ImmortalYawn posted:

As mentioned above, you can ask the kid whose bike it fell from, if you can find him or her. :)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Are there any bicycles out there that fold up and can be carried on your back conveniently?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

Avocados posted:

Are there any bicycles out there that fold up and can be carried on your back conveniently?

Yes, if you don't mind going without pedals.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I'm trying to identify this watch.

(excuse the brown stick excuse for an arm)

It's a Pierre Cardin watch that was given to me in 2002, and I can't find any information on the internet. All I know is it's a two-tone thing with some roman numerals and some pointy sticks pointing at and between the numbers. The back of the watch says:

quote:

Stainless Steel Back

(logo)

pierre cardin
I.O.N.
Movement Swiss Parts

I've googled the number 3136 but nothing relevant comes up. As this is SA, I'm sure there's a 10-year-old watch identification megathread somewhere but if anyone could shed some light on this at all I'd be interested in what you have to say.

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Probably a long shot, but you could try this thread:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2718348

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Yesterday, around 2pm, I was listening to my local NPR station and there was this short (ten minute) bit about a woman who taught a deaf man sign language, after never having been taught it for 27 years. it was amazing, and I want to find it online but I can't. Anybody else hear it and remember any details that would help me find it?