Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

I'm voting for Solaris.

Everyone loves a trip to the Arena.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well not going to vote quite just yet, but am going to start speculating since it helps to have a bit of a discussion going.

A) STAR LORD. That seriously complicates the Marik situation. This would be playing from the Amaris perspective, presumably. Playing as a Periphery nation might make for an interesting challenge for our guys though barring some more info on their end I can only expect the worst out of them. This one's suspicious and sounds interesting.

B) Playing an undergunned militia against a Capellan raid? That's one of the two underdog scenario choices we have here. Also suspicious given the scheming made in the Capellan side of the political update. This sounds the plainest at first glance so may well be a "plot twists mid-scenario" choice. Or this might be a chance to give PTN a break, I dunno. :downs:

C) The other underdog scenario. Seeing as how the Legions of Vega are basically the DCMS "Dirty Dozen" regiments you could say they're the Ghost Regiments-lite. Except without the chance to allow Theodore Kurita to try to test out the reforms he intended to start spreading through the rest of the Combine. Perhaps they might get a sudden boost of help from a certain prominent now-Davion-employed mercenary regiment halfway through the battle. I suspect if we'd went Ghosts then the yakuza would've helped. Or our Goonlance would be playing as the Ghost legion forces. (Who apparently are pretty badass, just not used to strict authority and fighting as a team.) My guess? The more popular Kuritan political choice split was actually between "survive long enough to get help from Kell Hounds" and "play as elite yakuza hardasses." Frankly, this looks the most interesting on my end since it has the most direct relevance to the prior vote.

???) Hey guys, let's Goonstar. This choice has languished for some time since it puts Clantech in Goon hands. But I really have no compunctions against picking it this time around.

Solaris VII) ... PTN, are you going to be using dueling rules? Will this be a FFA or a tournament bracket? This is probably going to be the strangest choice, and is intriguing because of it. Depending on how it theoretically may play out, though, it might be another Logistical Nightmare.

Anybody else have any thoughts?

VVVV EDIT: Actually, since Duncan Fisher was a Mech jock before he was an announcer and since this is set in an AU continuity at about twenty or thirty years before MW4:Mercs, someone might get to play as him.

Runa fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Aug 21, 2011

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

e3. ^^^^^^^^^^^^ :argh:
Voting E because of the potential for some Duncan Fisher narration.

e. Duncan Fisher Bloopers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfR6w0ljrFE

e2. Wait Duncan Fisher would still be a competitor in this time wouldn't he?

e4. E not F gah

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 21, 2011

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
I vote F*

*Duncan Fisher endorses this vote

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Looking forward to us seeing action on the non-clan front, now~

B) 2nd Chesterton Voltigeurs

Rhobot Mk. II
Jan 15, 2008
Mk. II: Bigger, longer, uncut robo-cock.

Mr. Despair posted:

Voting F because of the potential for some Duncan Fisher narration.

Voting F as well.

Son Ryo
Jun 13, 2007
Excuse me, do you know where Saiyans hang out?
I'll vote D).

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.
I want to play all these scenarios. I don't know what to vote for, so I rolled a dice and got 2, so.

B) 2nd Chesterton Voltigeurs it is.

Usual Barb
Aug 27, 2005

pop it and lock it
Combat Theater Vote 6:
A) 1st Republic Fusiliers
C) 4th Legion of Vega
D) ???
E) Solaris VII: “Business as Usual”

Let's see how an SRM carrier and a 1-legged Stinger hold up in a planetary assault.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Voting B.

It's time to be the Capellans, not beat the Capellans.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Nice writeup, PTN. Love the callbacks to old characters and such. So much plot, so much to analyze. Am I right in saying that the whole Star Captain Cairn thing is hinting at the development of Protomechs? That will be something to see, I think. Loved the callback to Star Colonel Dusk and Caesar Steiner, though I would have liked to see what became of Lieutenant Clover as well. Oh well. A minor callback to Lieutenant Barnes of the first mission as well. Good to see he's still up and around.

As for the more plot-ish things, the New Rim Worlds Republic sounds ominous. That poo poo can't be good at all, especially when invoking the name of Stephan Amaris and all that. Looks like Duncan Marik and Melissa Steiner are getting a bit closer, despite him not knowing her true identity. Dunno where that's going to lead, but hopefully it will be good for the Lyrans. Also, looks like the same Grier Seidman that the CrabGuard fought against last mission is the head of Bloodhouse Seidman and is impressing on the Ilkhan that the Hell's Horses should be doing better against the Inner Sphere due to their familiarity with tank tactics. Can't wait to see what that entails. The Clovis Lestrade/Jenna Clay plotline has yet to bear fruit, but I guess we'll see where that is going soon enough. The blackout of the HPG network north of Tukayyid looks like it took a definite chunk out of everyone there. The Combine seems to have taken the biggest hit though...

Guess that's why I'm gonna be voting for C) The 4th Legion of Vega for the next Combat Theater. Wanna see how the DCMS, even if it's one of their dumping ground units, plays and see if they can do anything to help turn this poo poo around. Most likely not, but let's find out.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Mary Annette posted:

Voting B.

I was going to vote for The Legion of Vega, but you are quite convincing. Let us twirl our moustachios and go for B

Gniwu
Dec 18, 2002

Just a reminder, PoptartsNinja rearranged the letters of the voting options.

My vote goes to option E, Solaris VII.

I was torn between this and the clan mission, but I figure that once the current invasion wave kicks into gear we'll never get any chance for a Solaris majority again.

Also, it's the only mission with Lyran involvement right now. I've become such a one-trick-pony due to this LP, it's frightening.

ShadowDragon8685
Jan 23, 2011

Hi, I'm Troy McClure! You might remember SD from such films as "Guys, I'm not sanguine about this Mech choice", "The Millstone of the Clans", and "Uppity Sperglord ilKhan"! Make sure to clear the date for his upcoming documentary, "How I ran a Star of Clan Mechs into the ground!"
If I had any assurance that voting for Solaris VII would see Duncan Fisher on the field, I'd vote for that.

If we had another mission for Heimdall, I'd vote for that, because Vikings rock.

As it is, I'm voting D, for ???. It's time to get this ball rolling.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

PoptartsNinja posted:

She smiled, “You, Cairn, are ideal: and once our conquest of the Inner Sphere is complete, we shall return our attentions to the real foe: the Ghost Bears. You and I together shall crush them utterly.”

Cairn smiled.

Good luck with that! Have fun at the glue factory, ponies! Ghost Bears give no fucks! :colbert::sweden:

PoptartsNinja posted:

Combat Theater Vote 6:
A) 1st Republic Fusiliers
C) 4th Legion of Vega
D) ???
E) Solaris VII: “Business as Usual”

VOTING D ???

We've put off the Goon made mission too long. Time to see what a Blazer rifle does to bird people Clanners.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

If I die before I Wake, I pray the Lord my soul to take.
You guys are all very wrong. The only true answer is A. The loving Rim Worlds Republic needs the spotlight. For the glory of Amaris!

Also worth pointing out that Lieutenant Barnes is still the original thread badass. It was a privilege and an honor turning that Dragon into a submarine. :smug:

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Aug 21, 2011

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011
Current vote count-

A)1
B)5
C)3
D)3
E)5

Krumbsthumbs
Oct 23, 2010

2nd Place.
1st Loser.
Oh look, Grier happens to be a really important character. I hope that knowledge he just passed to the Ilkhan doesn't have serious repercussions for the Inner Sphere.

Voting D

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mary Annette posted:

Voting B.

Slaan posted:

I was going to vote for The Legion of Vega, but you are quite convincing. Let us twirl our moustachios and go for B

:regd09:

While I have half a mind to vote for the Towne militia, the fact that E)Solaris is the Lyran operation and that the option that most interested me at the start will send Goonlance right into the jaws of the Clans again means I should probably let my curiosity guide my vote. Can't wait to see what creative ideas PTN has for the greatest sport in civilized space.

Like B, it also involves beating up Capellans.

Let's hope the logistics of the Silesian Showdown/Cathayan Carmechgeddon goes smoothly and that Duncan Fisher makes a cameo appearance.

EDITS: Perhaps the same could be said of all voltigeurligions.

Runa fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Aug 21, 2011

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

So it appears to me that the Capellans are about to get hosed hard. They have been beating the FWL, but now they have to deal with the NRWR, and you know that the Davions have been moving into position for an assault of their own. I wonder if Max will stay sane much longer.

Also: Holy crap the clans have been making massive gains. It has been such a short period of time and they are already that far? Assuming they are about where the Legion of Vega is, that is still pretty crazy.

I wonder which capital will fall first: Luthien or Tharkad?

KnoxZone fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Aug 21, 2011

Urcinius
Mar 27, 2010

Chapter Master of the
Woobie Marines
It'd be nice to take a bit of a break after those last few intense Clan missions. I suspect that's why Solaris is offered again as some no frills simple mech action. However, I don't want to let up on the fluff, so my decision is between the Rim and the Towne for some non-Clan fluffy mech action. Of the two only B is competitive with Solaris at the moment, so my vote will go to B to keep us neck deep in fluff.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

KnoxZone posted:

I wonder which capital will fall first: Luthien or Tharkad?

With the inside track on Steiner Rules dueling, how can the Steel Vipers lose? :v:

Diogenes Cynicus
Aug 5, 2009
Voting A for the New Rim Worlds Republic. Since a resurgent RWR is definitely placing this in an "alternate" universe, I'm gonna go with this one, just to see how it turns out.

KnoxZone
Jan 27, 2007

Also: Do the Clans know about the existence of the NRWR yet? I can only imagine how absolutely livid they will be when they find out that the progeny of Amaris is still alive. Screw Earth, the Clans are going to redirect the invasion through the FWL and into the Periphery, ignoring the Federated Suns completely.

This will all play into Hanse Davion's master plan, of course.

landcollector
Feb 28, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Also: Do the Clans know about the existence of the NRWR yet? I can only imagine how absolutely livid they will be when they find out that the progeny of Amaris is still alive. Screw Earth, the Clans are going to redirect the invasion through the FWL and into the Periphery, ignoring the Federated Suns completely.

This will all play into Hanse Davion's master plan, of course.

I know what you mean. The collective thoughts of the Clans would probably be along the lines of: Screw Zellbrigen, the progeny of Amaris and all of his holdings deserve nothing less than orbital bombardment!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
B. I'm a sucker for the scrappy militia defending their homelands.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

landcollector posted:

I know what you mean. The collective thoughts of the Clans would probably be along the lines of: Screw Zellbrigen, the progeny of Amaris and all of his holdings deserve nothing less than orbital bombardment!

It'll be this timeline's Turtle Bay moment, coupled with handily removing Amaris.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Voting for C, purely because I want to see another horrible gimp-fight against the Clans.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

C. Vega

unless

D has DEST commandos fighting elementals in one on one duels. (DEST have vibrokatanas and poo poo)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

gently caress that, we're going to the circus! SOLARIS!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

KnoxZone posted:

Also: Holy crap the clans have been making massive gains. It has been such a short period of time and they are already that far? Assuming they are about where the Legion of Vega is, that is still pretty crazy.

Well the entire Silent Shoal is sort of "unknowable" thanks to the HPG attack so it's entirely possible the Legion of Vega just got hit with the speartip of a blitz. But yeah, the Clans have taken the kids' gloves off and things are looking plenty dire.

I'm really glad the GoonlevelII let Grier live, 'cause poo poo just got real.

And Stefan Amaris VII will lead the heroic(?) anti-Clan resistance.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Voting A) because drat I am intrigued as hell.

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
I gotta vote D for ninja shenanigans.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

My vote relies entirely on whether Poptarts will actually feature Duncan Fisher on Solaris in some fashion.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It saddens me that half the support Solaris is getting isn't actually support at all, it's just withheld votes contingent on PTN throwing a specific character in.

Solaris isn't going to win either way, but still.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Wait... Amaris is alive???

I vote A. I have to see this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

It saddens me that half the support Solaris is getting isn't actually support at all, it's just withheld votes contingent on PTN throwing a specific character in.

Well I'm happy with any result, they all look potentially interesting from a plot perspective.

I'm just most curious about Solaris from a gameplay perspective, though I'll admit Duncan Fisher really added an extra level of style and atmosphere to MW4:Mercs that really made the game great.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Wait... Amaris is alive???

I vote A. I have to see this.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Star_Lord_%28novel%29

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

T.G. Xarbala posted:

Well I'm happy with any result, they all look potentially interesting from a plot perspective.

I'm just most curious about Solaris from a gameplay perspective, though I'll admit Duncan Fisher really added an extra level of style and atmosphere to MW4:Mercs that really made the game great.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Star_Lord_%28novel%29

Ah... too bad. I was hoping for some 3/4ths-crazed techno-zombie marinating in a fetid pool of hate. Well... my vote stands anyway, because it still sounds cool.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

I think people need to remember that if we're playing as the Chesterton Voltigeurs, we're not the plucky Davion militia trying to defend our homes, we're the mean Liao bastards here to set those homes on fire.

Mind you, since the point is that Ridzik thinks Davion's gonna attack the Confederation, and he's probably right, the odds are we'll end up running into the Davion Heavy Guard or the 7th Crucis Lancers or some such. If we win, we get to warn House Liao that the Feds are coming. If we lose....well, it's gonna suck to be House Liao, I imagine.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Belial42
Feb 28, 2007

The Sleeper must awaken...with a damn fine can of Georgia coffee.
D, mystery mission!

• Locked thread