Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Thank you goons.

Luna is more alert this morning and has been making little beeps. She's currently being seen at the vets having a check over with probably definitely another x-ray to see if there's anything untoward inside.

Luna update update:
She's fine. Vet thinks her problems now are hormonal, caused by the Suprelorin implant from last week.
X-ray shows there's a couple of eggs coming through, but should arrive normally.
Blood tests sent off and she's on stronger baytril. Luna's on her way home now.

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jul 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Hooray for the good news!

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

know before Whom you stand

spookygonk posted:

Thank you goons.

Luna is more alert this morning and has been making little beeps. She's currently being seen at the vets having a check over with probably definitely another x-ray to see if there's anything untoward inside.

Luna update update:
She's fine. Vet thinks her problems now are hormonal, caused by the Suprelorin implant from last week.
X-ray shows there's a couple of eggs coming through, but should arrive normally.
Blood tests sent off and she's on stronger baytril. Luna's on her way home now.
luna!!! :neckbeard: i am so happy for you, but even happier for her. her new life has only just begun! :h: :h:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The Sapphire jems are the biggest by far now but still let the older gals boss them around.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

Alterian posted:

The Sapphire jems are the biggest by far now but still let the older gals boss them around.
they're still the prettiest :colbert:

your other girls are gorgeous too, but the statuesque poise of the gems has been apparent since they were chicks and i love them tbh

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Luna update.
Little one is still not well. She's hot, puffed up, lethargic, not eating (well, she starts eating then goes vague). It's like she's half broody. We had a previous hen go broody for 5 weeks after her first implant (Daisy, who also grew one spur).
There''s definitely one egg still to come out (as seen on Monday's x-ray) and we're hoping that's going to come out the next day or so. That should help greatly.
We're crop feeding her meds & nutrition as there's little interest in food and water, she's gone from 2kg to 1.8kg in 4 days.

See what the vet says tomorrow.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Best of luck to Luna.

In my chicken news, they're all handling the heat ok between the fans, the mister, and some extra water tubs. The 'chicks' are now almost big enough to be free from their fenced off section and join the others in the full coop and run.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

:sympathy: i love luna and love you for your dedication to helping her get better

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

perepelki posted:

:sympathy: i love luna and love you for your dedication to helping her get better

Luna update.
Back at the vet today. She's still very poorly.
Hopefully he can find out what's happening (and if there's an egg causing some of it).
Luna's comb is also flopping over (much moreso than Sunday)...

Vet said, she has laboured breathing, He'll check her vent for egg activity.
She may be tired and laying still enough not to need to be sedated for an x-ray (we are concerned she is too weak for anaesthetic).

Edit. Sorry people. We had to say goodbye to our tiny dragon. 💔

spookygonk fucked around with this message at 11:56 on Jul 8, 2021

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Oh no. :sympathy:

You are so good and do so much to give these birds a pleasant retirement. Some of their stories may end too soon for our liking, but I say we are all richer for your dedication and efforts. :love:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

ynohtna posted:

You are so good and do so much to give these birds a pleasant retirement. Some of their stories may end too soon for our liking, but I say we are all richer for your dedication and efforts. :love:

Thank you. She was fearless.

Yesterday Luna had a doze in the sun, snoozed under the laurel bush for an hour. Then she strode out across the garden, opened her beak and crowed.
A tiny primal roar.

It was like she shouted, "I am so SICK of this BULLSHIT!"

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I’m sorry for your loss, spookygonk. I’m so glad she had her time in the sun.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Oct 9, 2022

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
it is sad that Luna is gone, but I'm glad she was able to pass in a place of caring and warmth.

e: also

ynohtna posted:

BHB fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Jul 8, 2021

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Sorry to hear about your loss but you did everything you could and did your best to keep her comfortable

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

ynohtna posted:

Yeah you are good people spookygonk.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

Poor Luna :sympathy:

I'm glad she got to experience of few months of comfort and joy in being a chicken with someone who loved her and cared for her.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Thank you for sharing your little dragon with us.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Thank you for taking such good care of Luna. Rest in peace.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Thank you all for your kind comments.

She was a free hen.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

when i logged on and saw all the unread comments, i knew :(

spookygonk posted:

Thank you all for your kind comments.

She was a free hen.
oh that poor sweet darling. in her funny little heart she knew you were trying to save her, that's why she held on for so long. i can't imagine how the world looks through the eyes of a chicken, but i know they're smarter than people think, and your birds are fully aware that their lives were awful until you came along and suddenly they live in this wonderful place where they are valued and respected. thank you so much for what you do. they're so small and so easily overlooked, but they are thinking feeling creatures, and you transform their entire universe when you rescue them. :sympathy:

spookygonk posted:

Yesterday Luna had a doze in the sun, snoozed under the laurel bush for an hour. Then she strode out across the garden, opened her beak and crowed.
A tiny primal roar.

It was like she shouted, "I am so SICK of this BULLSHIT!"
she said I AM A FREE HEN

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

perepelki posted:

she said I AM A FREE HEN
:unsmith:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

my sweet baby scrubtit

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

perepelki posted:

my sweet baby scrubtit

Majestic.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

so handsome :swoon:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the lights of my life

every day they go out for their wander, and then when they're finished they all fly in unison across the yard back to the coop. i clip their wings as far as possible without hurting them, so the older ones can't get more than a few feet above the ground (quimmix and quimmex can still get higher so my heart is always in my mouth when they take off). watching them fly is the funniest thing. most of them have the hang of gliding to a halt, but quimmix stops herself by slamming full speed into the water tank (she does this every single time so i can only assume it's deliberate) and moose struggles to land, instead ploughing face-first into the dirt and usually doing a barrel roll before righting herself

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

they're so plush :love:

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

City of Glompton posted:

they're so plush :love:
they're unbelievably soft. just the smoothest, silkiest plumage you can imagine. :3:

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
That bit about the water tank made me guffaw in a sleeping house. It’s such a quail answer (slam into water tank, repeatedly) to a bird question (how do I stop flying?)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Large Marge wants to hatch chicks again and it’s breaking my heart to tell her no. My husband’s new job is stiiiiiill in the works and I don’t have any idea of when our move will happen. :saddowns:

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

We lost a duck today to some illness. She seemed lethargic yesterday and then just died today. No real symptoms or anything. My wife did a deep clean, disinfected everything, and we're adding some electrolytes to their water. Definitely bummed about the whole thing.

We also discovered they love both whistling and when the kiddo plays the recorder.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

would love to see them enjoying some whistling, i bet that is real cute

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 9, 2022

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

City of Glompton posted:

oh no! i'm sorry yooper :sympathy:

e: would love to see them enjoying some whistling, i bet that is real cute

Thanks, we lost another one this morning. Talked to the vet office and they think either salmonella or hepatitis. We're keeping up on the cleaning and such, but it doesn't sound like there's much we can do about the hepatitis if that's what it is.

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

yooper, i'm so sorry! that is terrible to be losing them and not even know why, i hope you figure it out soon and everything is resolved :(

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

good wild orb news, we saw the quail today with two gawky babies! they were too fast to get a picture of but we've scattered lots of seed in the yard so here's hoping

City of Glompton fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Oct 9, 2022

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

City of Glompton posted:

i'm sorry yooper :( that is awful

good wild orb news, we saw the quail today with two gawky babies! they were too fast to get a picture of but we've scattered lots of seed in the yard so here's hoping
:neckbeard: i was worried about how they'd do in the heat, so this is wonderful news! may they come back soon to bless your yard with their young fools

it's funny to me how quickly my quail fell out of the domesticated laying habits. it took like one generation for them to go from popping out daily eggs to producing a single clutch every... four months or so? eggs are for chick. no chick? no eggs :colbert: they and i collaborated to effortlessly undo centuries of human ingenuity and hard work, i am proud of our success

perepelki fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Jul 15, 2021

Yooper
Apr 30, 2012

Down to 5 ducks, but they all seem healthy.

https://i.imgur.com/0OB1io5.mp4

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Watch your back
Before it fades to black
They might look harmless but they'll kick your non-chicken rear end

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm so glad I can say I understand that reference.

What beautiful birds!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

perepelki
Dec 11, 2020

the ducklets warm my heart :kimchi:
they look like they're made of snow! just gorgeous