Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Apparently the industry is not quite ready for my Captain America/Iron Man fanfic.

Personally, I prefer the Captain America/Thor fanfic.

a bloo bloo bloo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

SynthOrange posted:

Hear hear!

Rocket skates for life!
(source: The 80s Rocket Raccoon miniseries)

It looks like he is ascending on a pair of balls.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Grendels Dad posted:

It looks like he is ascending on a pair of balls.
It's actually a redrawn Tanuki.

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Can someone repost that Deadpool "Worms." "Gimme!" sequence? I can't find it

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Source, some place weird.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

I've been reading Aztek and it's pretty good! This panel however dates it pretty heavily.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

GorfZaplen posted:

I've been reading Aztek and it's pretty good! This panel however dates it pretty heavily.

It drives me insane that there's no comma here so it looks like he's calling it the Nintendo Playstation. I am a loving nerd.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheJoker138 posted:

It drives me insane that there's no comma here so it looks like he's calling it the Nintendo Playstation. I am a loving nerd.

I'm pretty sure he is calling it the Nintendo Playstation.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

TheJoker138 posted:

It's an alternate universe where Sony actually did release that CD attachment for the SNES.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

The MSJ posted:

It's an alternate universe where Sony actually did release that CD attachment for the SNES.

With what they managed to do with the hardware at the end (chrono trigger, Star ocean, super mario RPG) the thought of what they could have managed with the CD addon just amazes me.

I seem to recall an article saying that to make FF7 on the N64 the way they wanted to make it (like on the PS1) it would have taken like 57 carts.
Or some quite silly number of carts. don't remember the exact number.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

That's only for the cutscenes. A single cartridge could have easily supported the rest of the game.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cutscenes and music. I dunno, though, if the 64 could've easily fit the sheer number of prerendered backgrounds on a single cart. Depends on compression, I guess.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Merry loving Christmas.

Action Comics #105.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Lurdiak posted:

That's only for the cutscenes. A single cartridge could have easily supported the rest of the game.

Cartridge size varies from 4 MB to 64 MB, according to google.

FF7 was 463 MB for Disc 1. Just Disc 1. Even if you stripped out the FMVs, the N64 would have melted into a puddle trying to render all the battle graphics during a summons or limit break.

Quest 64 laffo

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

It's a stupid argument because obviously the game wouldn't have FMV since the lack of space for it was exactly why it wasn't released on the N64, and the subsequent technical decisions around how the world was structured and how many polygons were on screen at a time were made specifically for the Playstation as a result and would have naturally been made differently on the N64. The 3D technical restraints on the N64 were around texture size rather than polygons - it could meet or exceed the PS in polygons per second, but it had an absurdly tiny texture size which is why it frequently looked significantly more primitive.

Arguing disk space, especially, is stupid because CDs allowed developers to use uncompressed assets to get better performance out of the Playstation's lower specs and that's exactly what they did rather than the N64 where the medium necessitated compressed assets but it had the beef to uncompress them on the fly without significantly affecting performance.

[Punisher #16 aka The Only Time Morbius Hasn't Been a Milquetoast]

Ghostlight fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Dec 19, 2014

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Johnny Aztec posted:

Cartridge size varies from 4 MB to 64 MB, according to google.

FF7 was 463 MB for Disc 1. Just Disc 1. Even if you stripped out the FMVs, the N64 would have melted into a puddle trying to render all the battle graphics during a summons or limit break.

Quest 64 laffo

Nope. The graphics were polygons with shading. No textures, other than Barrett's arm tattoo, and textures are what take up space.

It's why ff7 pc looked so much better than ff8 pc. Upsize the polygons and smoothly shade them? Nice. Except for that tattoo. Upsize the polys and stretch the textures to fit? Ugly as sin.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Johnny Aztec posted:

In terms of 3D rendering the N64 was noticeably more powerful than the PS1, although quite a bit more difficult to program for. It could render more polygons if programmed right and was more consistent in their display (playstation had some horrible warping issues), had much better texture compression, filtering and more texture ram, and dramatically better image processing and antialiasing (well, any antialiasing at all).

That said, so many games at the time needed the sheer disc space available to the playstation. Honestly, I can barely think of many N64 games which were polys-on-prerendered games like FFVII; it just wasn't playing to the 3D strengths of the 64. Oh, Resident Evil 2. Which looked amazing, but was severely pushing cartridge storage space. But on the other hand, you're not gonna find a fully-3D game on the PS1 that had anywhere near the graphics of the late Rareware games like Perfect Dark or Conker's Bad Fur Day or DK64.

Although good artistic design that worked with a console's limitations could produce something that you think looks better than should be possible by fooling you into not realising its simplicity. See: Wip3out. Holy christ Wip3out.

But yeah, I would lay decent odds that about 450 megs of that 463 was cutscenes or CD-music.

So how about those comics, huh.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Dec 19, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I had a terrible nightmare the console wars never ended last night.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

Good thing the TurboDuo ended those a long time ago by being so perfect it's the only console we use anymore.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LOINS OF ISHTAR has a good ring to it.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

ImpAtom posted:

LOINS OF ISHTAR has a good ring to it.

As long as it's just one. Some people take piercing way too far.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

GorfZaplen posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the script actually called it a "Nintendo Playstation". Grant Morrison, for all the kuddos he gets as a writer, feels like someone who hasn't so much experienced certain aspects of the modern world as had it explained to him in vague terms. While he was drunk.

One of my all time favourite Roy Thomas era Conan comic panels was one where he fights this unbeatable demon. And just beats the crap out of it. So much so that it tries to crawl away, but Conan keeps following it and keeps beating it up with his bear hands. All the while the narration says that this can't be happening.

Conan is baller like that.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

The Question IRL posted:

One of my all time favourite Roy Thomas era Conan comic panels was one where he fights this unbeatable demon. And just beats the crap out of it. So much so that it tries to crawl away, but Conan keeps following it and keeps beating it up with his bear hands. All the while the narration says that this can't be happening.

"A devil from the Outer Dark," he grunted. "Oh, they're nothing uncommon. They lurk as thick as fleas outside the belt of light which surrounds this world. I've heard the wise men of Zamora talk of them. Some find their way to Earth, but when they do they have to take on some earthly form and flesh of some sort. A man like myself, with a sword, is a match for any amount of fangs and talons, infernal or terrestrial..."

Conan is just the best.

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

It wouldn't surprise me if the script actually called it a "Nintendo Playstation". Grant Morrison, for all the kuddos he gets as a writer, feels like someone who hasn't so much experienced certain aspects of the modern world as had it explained to him in vague terms. While he was drunk.

I'd prefer to blame that choice of dialogue on his co-writer on Aztek, Mark Millar. It sounds like something out of Wanted.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Lurdiak posted:

Conan only pawn in game of life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The Question IRL posted:

Servoret posted:

I'd prefer to blame that choice of dialogue on his co-writer on Aztek, Mark Millar. It sounds like something out of Wanted.

Do you guys seriously not know that Sony and Nintendo were developing a console together? The PS began life as a CD add-on for the SNES.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I thought he was just introducing their new ruler, one mister Loins of Ishtar. It translates into Cimmerian rather unfortunately.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Do you guys seriously not know that Sony and Nintendo were developing a console together? The PS began life as a CD add-on for the SNES.

I think we all know that, but don't think Morrison or Millar would know that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Rhyno posted:

This is the most pedantic poo poo, but the SNES Playstation was developed and canned around like 93 at the absolute latest and wasn't common knowledge until later. The Sony Playstation was released in 95. Aztek came out around 96.

:goonsay:

E-- Double-checked my facts. 96 not 98. My point holds.

mind the walrus fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 20, 2014

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

quote:

Console nerd poo poo in the funny panel thread.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

So why does Arishem the Judge have a coffee mug for a head?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

FredMSloniker posted:

Everyone knows where this is from right? Nextwave, I think issue 2 or 3. Read Nextwave.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FredMSloniker posted:

Too Much Coffee Man came up in the world.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

TheJoker138 posted:

I think we all know that, but don't think Morrison or Millar would know that.

Or maybe Grant read an issue of Game informer once? Or he put in a note to the editor that said "TOPICAL GAME SYSTEM HERE."

Servoret
Nov 8, 2009

FredMSloniker posted:

Jack Kirby worked from home. I think I read somewhere that he really did use appliances to come up with Kirbytech sometimes.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Archie comics. No clue.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

BizarroAzrael posted:

Everyone knows where this is from right? Nextwave, I think issue 2 or 3. Read Nextwave.

I'm not even a big Ellis fan and I agree. Nextwave is love. (I still giggle at that issue that's half just two pages splashes you can turn into a super-huge gatefold-ish thing.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Highlights from tonight's Thanks, Ken Penders update, with emphasis on bad art.

(Sonic the Hedgehog #26)

(Sonic Triple Trouble)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #27)

(Sonic the Hedgehog #28)

• Locked thread