Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Thanks for playing Alone in the dark 2.

Now please fuck off

made of bees posted:

I think the Maya were the only ones with what could indisputably be called a written language, but there were a lot of proto-writing systems around and ways of recording information that aren't writing per se, like wampum or quipu.

Ah okay, thanks.

When you say proto-writing systems, when does a system like that start counting as a proper script?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

made of bees
May 21, 2013
I think the distinction is that true writing conveys language, so it can convey grammatical structure and get across exactly how a sentence is constructed, whereas proto-writing is more ambiguous.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
The true distinction is if you can tell a fart joke with it: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/7536918.stm

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The map doesn't look quite right, the US seems to have too many circles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

According to wiki the US economy has a GDP of over 16 trillion (which at 15 circles is pretty close). But China is in 2nd with 8 trillion, while on the map it only has 6, the same size as Japan. Brazil and Russia might warrant two circles, depending on the exact numbers and rounding.

It could just be old though.

edit: and if you list it by GDP (Purchasing Power Parity) the numbers change even more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29

Count Roland fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Aug 27, 2014

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Lead out in cuffs posted:

I did find one for Toronto: http://neoformix.com/Projects/DotMaps/TorontoVisMin.html

It's kinda like a rainbow compared to South Africa or the US, especially when you zoom in close.

Yeah from afar it looks pretty segregated, but up close it just seems to be "majority white" or "majority black" with lots of variety. Which lives up to Toronto's reputation as a multi-cultural city I suppose.

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Kamrat posted:

I know the Maya had one but the Inuit/Yupik/Cherokee didn't get theirs until 19th century so theirs doesn't count.

Why not?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Because those alphabets came into being after seeing how cool and dandy the old world alphabets are rather than in isolation.

Count Roland posted:

[url]
According to wiki the US economy has a GDP of over 16 trillion (which at 15 circles is pretty close). But China is in 2nd with 8 trillion, while on the map it only has 6, the same size as Japan. Brazil and Russia might warrant two circles, depending on the exact numbers and rounding.

Maybe some of those cities have more than $1 trillion in value? :shrug:

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Because the question was how many writing systems they had before the Europeans arrived, the only reason I bring them up is so no one counts them among the scripts that where developed without European influence.

The Cherokee script is quite clearly influenced by the Latin Alphabet and the Inuit one was actually developed by a European missionary. I'm not that familiar with the Yupik writing system but since it was developed so late I'm sure they where also heavily influenced by European writing systems, on the map it even looks very Latin.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

Slaves in modern world

(more maps like these two are here)

Maps like these are always a riot

fuck off Batman fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Aug 27, 2014

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Literal murder capital of the world: low risk

Squido
May 21, 2005
Ask me about being a paedophile.

Count Roland posted:

Not to say that it is accurate, but the circles do vary in size presumably to reflect the figures used, which might account for the discrepancies.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Disco Infiva posted:

Slaves in modern world

This not being per capita kind of ruins it.
It should show that Qatar, the UAE and Kuwait (and to a lesser extent Saudi Arabia) have about as many slaves as citizens.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Badger of Basra posted:

Literal murder capital of the world: low risk

No, Honduras is listed as high risk. Which country did you have in mind?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#By_country

Probably Brazil.

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

EricBauman posted:

This not being per capita kind of ruins it.
It should show that Qatar, the UAE and Kuwait (and to a lesser extent Saudi Arabia) have about as many slaves as citizens.

Hmmmm...

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

Well, maybe those people I'm talking about aren't slaves in the legal sense of the word.
They're also not considered part of the population per se, since they've got limited residency rights and will be put back on the boat the moment their employer isn't satisfied anymore (in case of the maids and nannies: if they don't put out). It's literally millions of South Asian and East African 'migrant labourers'/'expats' that are being worked as slaves in the Gulf.
And they're not being even slightly enlightened about it. When I asked a Southeast Asian labour attache in Kuwait whether having highly educated and healthy domestic servants was a sign of affluence and good social standing, she just replied with 'No, just the number of them.'

fuck off Batman
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah Yeah Yeah Yeah!

EricBauman posted:

Well, maybe those people I'm talking about aren't slaves in the legal sense of the word.
They're also not considered part of the population per se, since they've got limited residency rights and will be put back on the boat the moment their employer isn't satisfied anymore (in case of the maids and nannies: if they don't put out). It's literally millions of South Asian and East African 'migrant labourers'/'expats' that are being worked as slaves in the Gulf.
And they're not being even slightly enlightened about it. When I asked a Southeast Asian labour attache in Kuwait whether having highly educated and healthy domestic servants was a sign of affluence and good social standing, she just replied with 'No, just the number of them.'

Indian, Pakistan etc. percentage of slaves is probably covering all those 'migrant laborers' in UAE, Qatar...

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

computer parts posted:

Probably Brazil.

Apparently they only come in around 18th (using 2012 data). Also, I don't think Brazil (right now) has a lot of political violence, which is what the map was showing.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

El Salvador. I guess their rate has fallen since I last looked, though they're still 4th.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Do the sizes of the circles represent where between $1t and $2t their GDP is?

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Count Roland posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28nominal%29

It could just be old though.

edit: and if you list it by GDP (Purchasing Power Parity) the numbers change even more:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_%28PPP%29

Yeah it does look kind of off. The regions they're measuring are weird..."New Jersey Philadelphia"? Uh, ok.

For the US, If you were to measure by say, the US Census CSA (Combined Statistical Area. Basically a metropolitan area with expanded borders), then there's only a single trillion dollar economy in the US: New York City. If you want to measure by state, then it's California, Texas, and New York

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

Basil Hayden posted:

At least two of the earlier cultures in Mesoamerica produced what strongly appear to be written scripts (they even look rather like Mayan), but my understanding is we haven't exactly deciphered them yet. The Aztecs (and Mixtecs, and probably some other cultures in that area of Mexico as well) had what is either a heavily pictorial writing system or a quite robust form of proto-writing.

Incidentally, if the hypothesis that Brahmi is descended from a Semitic script is true, then almost every major modern writing system except for Chinese (and the obviously Chinese-derived Japanese) ultimately derives from the Phoenician alphabet or similar.

Many Mesoamerican people had their own writing systems, which could express complex topics. They are often complicated mixtures of pictographs, logograms, and literal illustrations, and seem to exist on a continuum from systems that can be described as "proto-writing," to what are indisputably true writing systems.

Modern distribution of Mesoamerican languages, in Mexico. Per Wikipedia:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Apparently they only come in around 18th (using 2012 data). Also, I don't think Brazil (right now) has a lot of political violence, which is what the map was showing.

They're #1 in absolute numbers of murders.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Rah! posted:

Yeah it does look kind of off. The regions they're measuring are weird..."New Jersey Philadelphia"? Uh, ok.

For the US, If you were to measure by say, the US Census CSA (Combined Statistical Area. Basically a metropolitan area with expanded borders), then there's only a single trillion dollar economy in the US: New York City. If you want to measure by state, then it's California, Texas, and New York

Why do you think it's weird to merge nearby areas? Do you think western germany is also weird?

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Rah! posted:

Yeah but the map is doing the reverse. Its not going these predefined areas have trillion dollar economies, there showing where each 1-2 trillion dollars of the global economy are localised.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!

computer parts posted:

They're #1 in absolute numbers of murders.

We have a lot of poor people available to die.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
50,000 murders per year. drat, that's more people then the town I grew up in, every year.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

o_o

O_O

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Why don't they want Sicily?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Too many Sicilians.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
No ISIS map can ever top the one they made from Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
It should be called Mordor.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Raskolnikov38 posted:

No ISIS map can ever top the one they made from Victoria: An Empire Under the Sun.
I don't think they were actually the ones who made that.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I wish I were as young and naive as you.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The guy who beheaded Foley had a copy of "Islam for dummies" in his luggage.

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009

Beamed posted:

I wish I were as young and naive as you.

Yes, yes, the idea that an international militant group would modify a map from a video game to outline their grand plans is pretty funny, but it's completely untrue. I believe that particular map turned out to have originated on a White Supremacist forum, if I remember right.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Sucrose posted:

Yes, yes, the idea that an international militant group would modify a map from a video game to outline their grand plans is pretty funny, but it's completely untrue. I believe that particular map turned out to have originated on a White Supremacist forum, if I remember right.

I'm almost 100% it originated from one of the ISIS twitter accounts.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

States with non-federal military forces. Red is army only, green is army and navy and blue is navy only. Purple is inactive.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The Great Lakes navy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamrat
Nov 27, 2012

Now please fuck off

Kurtofan posted:

The Great Lakes navy.

I was thinking the same thing, got to defend against those dangerous Canadians.