Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Ok, this helps. I mean, sort of, Siemens wrote a really lovely job posting.

But, the gaps I see here is they're looking for someone to work across several business units, your resume screams "I managed 1 small focused team", they mention forecasting which I don't see a whisper of in your resume* (which is a Problem), they want someone to put together dashboards and slides on performance (have you done that?). So yeah, these are some gaps and they'll come up again and again. PMP will help, maybe some data visualization courses. Even free ones. If you can say "Yeah I know a little Tableau" it'll go a long way.

* you have cost quotes which might get some traction but how you described it is very different from forecasting

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
So I guess my question now is what do I do to fix it? This was the best I could do on my own. I hear what you're saying but don't have the know-how to utilize the critiques. I have no context as to what it should look like.

Can I just pay someone to take this mess and build something that works?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Well, I think you need meat first. Finish the PMP, maybe look into some Scrum certs or, barring that, binge some videos and list it as a skill. Learn some data vis like Tableau, Power BI or the like. You don't need certs there, but you'll be asked about it in an interview so get good enough to be able to get through a Q&A. There's lots of stuff out there if you can learn on your own.

In the meantime, I think your 1 pager is pretty close. Do a pass and try to remove some of the jargon and you can probably put that in the skills section for now. Try to emphasize forecasting, dashboarding/data visualization, and cross-business communication. That might help things along while you build up your other skills.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

That makes sense. I'm just loving spent, mentally and financially. I can't afford more classes right now so this is what I have to work with. I will work on the PMP but frankly I don't even have enough in my account for the test if I finished it tomorrow. My wife works part time and I'm working at her business under the table for $10/hr to try to get something flowing but gently caress it's disheartening.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Do the other stuff and take PMP off the resume until you finish it. There's free videos and even hands-on stuff for the other stuff that can get you to a level where you can call yourself "familiar". It'll require a bit of hustle and energy but I really think you just need that edge to tip yourself over.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Thanks for the input, I'll work on it and see what I can come up with. Hopefully Thanksgiving will get me good and drunk and fatter than I already am and take my mind off of things for a while.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

New Leaf posted:

So I guess my question now is what do I do to fix it?

Can I just pay someone to take this mess and build something that works?

New Leaf posted:

See, this is where the PM or PC is tough because it means drastically different things to different industries. I get so many recruiters who call me up assuming I'm a Civil Engineer when I'm not. None of the PM/PC folks I've worked with are. Plus, I've never dealt with budgets in the slightest in 12 years of doing this other than creating Purchase Order Requests that get filled 99% of the time.
This is the way its worked with every firm I've been with - the pricing is handled in advance, we set it every so often and the client knows in advance, so for simplicity's sake, let's say we'll do these 100 analyses for $1000 each. The list comes to me. I scrub them to see what's what - it can be a cell tower, a rooftop mount, a church steeple, a water tank, etc. Then I have to go hunting for documents for everything - tower drawings, building drawings, photos, foundation information, geotechnical information.. If that stuff is available, great. If not, I have places I can go look for it. If I can find it, we're good to go. If not, there's a whole new step of contacting companies that do field mappings who will go out and visit the site, take measurements, make drawings, and take photos. This is the only time I deal with money - I collect quotes, figure out the best one for the turnaround, and create a purchase order request for the client with the reason we need it to move forward. They're generally aware its coming and they cut me a PO and then I pass it off to the field crew until its done. Assuming we have everything we need, I have a team of engineers ready for work, so I start dealing them out by complexity or their skillset. An engineer can turn around some analyses in a day or two, some longer depending on complexity, and there are programs that take time to run calculations so I can usually give them a few at a time and let them chew on them until they need more. When they're done, I get a report that says "Yes this tower can accept more antennas" and it goes to CAD drafters for construction drawings, or "No this shits about to fall down", which leads to a whole different thing that I won't bore you with. Rinse and repeat until they're all done. I'm tracking every step on a spreadsheet and reporting back to the client on progress and acting as the "voice" of our department. So saying "I worked on tens of thousands of 1-3 day projects" isn't that impressive.

Since you asked, this is a role I actually interviewed for: https://jobs.siemens.com/careers/job/563156116472541?hl=en&sourceType=PREMIUM_POST_SITE&domain=siemens.com

This is helpful. You could pay someone to fix it but I like to think of my resume as a summary of a story I'm going to tell. If I didnt write the summary, do I really have clarity on the story?

BTW, Its not that working on 10k 3 day projects is or isn't impressive. Its clearly valuable as they pay people like you to do it. Its figuring out where that skill set fits (what job reqs) and how you can tell your story to be enticing to those hiring for th

Brass tacks:

I read you as having experience in a role that could generally be described as: A detailed set of things that presently or will soon exist are required to be obtained, transported, have non-technical modifications, and perhaps verified. When one or more of these things is missing, its your job to coordinate the people to go obtain that information using outside and/or inside people, then handle it per process. Once the data collection is complete, you push the thing to the next step of the process. That smells like a decent story to tell though sleep on this sort of thinking and maybe you can come up with an even better one.

So how to tell that story? Remember to include, specific measurable things that a layperson can picture. Ideally, the thing is revenue but if not revenue it should be clear how you accomplishing bullets 1 and 2 lead too revenue. Bullet 1: Emphasize the on-time, accurate delivery of stuff. Bullet 2: Emphasize catching mistakes that save schedule. Schedule is the name of the game. Generally schedule savings of a 1+ week is worth way more than any cost savings you have authority over. Bullet 3: Provide a ssentence about the job that demonstrates the complexity of the decisions you're entrusted to make that leads to these schedule savings you are bragging about. Again these should be understandable by your mother. I literally mean to read them to your mother, if possible. Did she understand it? Then make it clearer.

Now bigger picture: It sounds like maybe a career/industry change is needed. Thankfully lots of jobs need a human person to deal with arcane data gathering and people work delegation. So here's some jobs that I think might really value that skill set and may offer you whatever you're looking for for your career. I've not done these jobs so its an educated guess.

Telecom: What you do now.
Construction: Has similar roles with a myriad of titles. I often see this as the boss' wife's job at smaller shops, they answer the phone and keep the customers from bothering the people making money as well as make sure poo poo like permits and equipment arrives on time. You probably want to go for bigger places if you go down this route.
Legal: eDiscovery Technician/Analyst/Project Manager - Several titles for similar jobs here, they need you to categorize and organize legal discovery so an attorney can review it.
Legal: This is maybe 50% of what some law firms task their paralegals or legal assistants with. For paralegals
Legal: Skiptracing, hunt people down and find their deets so they dont skip bail.
Gov Contracting: Production Planner/Scheduler, also purchasing jobs where you need to ensure the purchase complies with a bunch of contract requirements.
Human Resources: This is a part of many HR jobs, particularly at smaller shops. Making sure compliance is taken care of for HR related things.

I could probably make a long list here but hopefully this is enough to get you thinking along the lines of how to tailor your resume for each of these very different careers where your experience will be applicable. You'll need a resume tailored for each of these so coming up with a cohesive story and then rewriting a one pager is prob a good idea.

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 21, 2023

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Fwiw most of what you get from paying someone you get from this thread for free. No one can really write your story like you can, so anyone you pay is going to coach you through the process or just slap something mediocre and generic together and take your money.

You might try using an LLM. Claude or chat gpt. It's pretty good at drafting clear bullet points and there's lots of free resources on how to work with the tool to get better results. You can also claim some generative AI experience which might be handy since it's so on trend

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CarForumPoster posted:

Telecom: What you do now.

I'll add your probably not far from Business Analyst and your experience in setting up semi-technical telecom sites could be transferable there too. Might be worth peeking at those jobs too.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

So I applied for a job, had a talk with a recruiter person, and then got ghosted. However, I saw that the exact same job has been reposted a few days ago. Is it kosher to reapply for the job again?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

So I applied for a job, had a talk with a recruiter person, and then got ghosted. However, I saw that the exact same job has been reposted a few days ago. Is it kosher to reapply for the job again?

You won't get blocklisted or anything, but it's pretty unlikely that you'll get a response. If you're OK with that, give it a shot.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

There's a good chance the recruiter got canned so may as well.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Just chillin' : )

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

I hate when this happens so much. I'd rather be told to gently caress off than be ghosted honestly

I know of a few agencies in Australia who are continuing to repost jobs on LinkedIn I've been told were filled months ago. Now either I was lied to about the job's availability (unlikely), or they are using this role to farm for CVs. These are short term roles who wanted an immediate start, chances if remaining unfilled a month later are pretty slim.

Not saying you shouldn't reapply at all, just saying there's lots of reasons a job might be re-advertised, not all of them above board. You applying again is kosher, just don't be surprised if you never hear anything

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Question for the thread: I'm having a well-paid but short term gig (6 months) dangled in front of me. They want someone to start pretty much straight away (within weeks). I'm waiting on more information from the recruiter now. Trouble is it's not the kind of work I want to do long term, would be more of a stop gap. Very administrative and potentially on-site full-time.

I have an interview on Monday for a different job I'd actually want, plus ads seem to be popping up now for roles I would much prefer. Of course the interview on Monday may amount to nought, and these future roles may not want me at all.

I'm worried if I take this role and then jump ship later for one I actually want I may burn bridges with this recruiter, who admittedly is only one of hundreds, but still, I'd feel bad. I'd feel bad for the employer too.

I can definitely ask for time to see how Monday's interview pans out, but what about slightly longer term? Do I not compromise, and hold out for roles that align with what I actually want to do long term? I already have a bunch of apps in just this week, so it's possible that interviews may be offered now without me doing any more searching.

I know every circumstance is unique, and financially people have different pressures, but what say you, goons?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Chewbecca posted:

Question for the thread: I'm having a well-paid but short term gig (6 months) dangled in front of me. They want someone to start pretty much straight away (within weeks). I'm waiting on more information from the recruiter now. Trouble is it's not the kind of work I want to do long term, would be more of a stop gap. Very administrative and potentially on-site full-time.

I have an interview on Monday for a different job I'd actually want, plus ads seem to be popping up now for roles I would much prefer. Of course the interview on Monday may amount to nought, and these future roles may not want me at all.

I'm worried if I take this role and then jump ship later for one I actually want I may burn bridges with this recruiter, who admittedly is only one of hundreds, but still, I'd feel bad. I'd feel bad for the employer too.

I can definitely ask for time to see how Monday's interview pans out, but what about slightly longer term? Do I not compromise, and hold out for roles that align with what I actually want to do long term? I already have a bunch of apps in just this week, so it's possible that interviews may be offered now without me doing any more searching.

I know every circumstance is unique, and financially people have different pressures, but what say you, goons?

I give you permission to do whats best for you.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jumping ship early on on a short term gig is not a big deal. I'd try to not do that for FT roles just because the professional world is smaller than you think. This is low risk bridge to burn though, especially as we're entering a slow hiring time.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

quote:

but still, I'd feel bad. I'd feel bad for the employer too.

The road to career mediocrity is paved with people feeling bad

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:
Can anyone recommend a good guide for translating an academic CV into something that a hiring manager would read, understand, and find impressive?

The OP is 10 years old and I’ve seen/heard some vague handwavy things from other PhDs who, like me, have realized that academia is bullshit but, unlike me, have actually gotten hired somewhere. Nothing they’ve told me has been actually comprehensible or useful and the longer conversations I’ve had invariably end up with an “and then I got really lucky because…” that I can’t really replicate.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cut down to 1 page if you can, 2 pages if you must. Do some light redaction and post here. Again, there's no 1 resume format or trick that gets you hired. It's about crafting a narrative. IN MY EXPERIENCE, people in academia put more emphasis on pedigree and journey, private industry cares more about accomplishments (particularly financial) and growth. So adjust accordingly. Academia may care more that you worked in a lab at Berkeley 20 years ago, private industry will care more about the patent you filed last year at the small state school.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
lol sorry I should have specified that I have a humanities PhD (Classics specifically) so my professional experience is all in teaching, conference presentation, and writing including a couple publications. No patents or anything cool like that.

HOMOEROTIC JESUS
Apr 19, 2018

Verily I say unto thee, That this night, before the cock crow, thou shalt deny me thrice.
Length of resume will also depend on your target industry. Using my specific subset of the biomedical industry as an example, there are lots of PhDs and so I think that has the expectation for resume length trends longer. Two page resumes are common among my successfully exfiltrated fellow grad students. But if you can make it one page, I think it can only benefit you.

As for actual resume content advice: unless the hiring manager has a PhD, essentially no one will care about your publications. If there's a paper that highlights a skill you have (e.g., machine learning), then you could place a "highlighted publication" section with just that paper citation in it.

edit: humanities to industry? then you should do a 1 pager most likely

HOMOEROTIC JESUS fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 23, 2023

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

CarForumPoster posted:

PRADA SLUT posted:

Shame this thread doesn't do titles y'all hit this back to back.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Yeah interesting you mention that since I don’t have a ML background per se, or even a NLP background, but I do have a linguistics degree and have taught ancient languages to hundreds of students over my career. I’m just not sure how to make it clear that, yes, I can help you make your AI models sound like they’re not deranged halfwits and should be paid more than the $23/hr gig work AI training I’m doing now.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Apollodorus posted:

lol sorry I should have specified that I have a humanities PhD (Classics specifically) so my professional experience is all in teaching, conference presentation, and writing including a couple publications. No patents or anything cool like that.

Following what Lockback said, you’d really benefit from having a lot of individual accomplishments for each of your experiences these spelled out in a bullet point, but then picking what you want to submit for each job application. For example, delivering internal reports to different groups is closer to conference presentations, so highlighting your ability to quickly summarize work would be better than your ability to follow a lesson plan over 3 months. It’s just easier to have a bunch of info and pick based on a job description than keep reinventing that wheel.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

Yeah interesting you mention that since I don’t have a ML background per se, or even a NLP background, but I do have a linguistics degree and have taught ancient languages to hundreds of students over my career. I’m just not sure how to make it clear that, yes, I can help you make your AI models sound like they’re not deranged halfwits and should be paid more than the $23/hr gig work AI training I’m doing now.

What job postings that are out there that you think you'd be a fit for?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
I’m a phd who went for industry and I had way more luck with a 2 page resume than a 1 page, and I also tailored my publication highlight to each specific job I applied for.

Listing presentations at conferences/congresses helped a lot

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Gonna need a way to say "the job I started last week is not the job I agreed to do" in a very polite way soon. Fuuuuck bait and switch employers.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

CarForumPoster posted:

Succinct. I like it.

Lockback posted:

Jumping ship early on on a short term gig is not a big deal. I'd try to not do that for FT roles just because the professional world is smaller than you think. This is low risk bridge to burn though, especially as we're entering a slow hiring time.

Yeah every recruiter I talk to reminds me of that fact. The Christmas ads are starting to make me feel a bit panicky lol not lol at all

PRADA SLUT posted:

Yeah I've stayed in poo poo roles for way too long because of feeling bad

It's a bad habit!

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Chewbecca posted:

Succinct. I like it.

Yeah every recruiter I talk to reminds me of that fact. The Christmas ads are starting to make me feel a bit panicky lol not lol at all

Yeah I've stayed in poo poo roles for way too long because of feeling bad

It's a bad habit!

Brene Brown’s stuff is really helpful for feeling like this IME. Definitely been there too.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
In need of a resume, and I thought i remembered that there was a goon who used to get rave reviews for their resume writing service, but I can't find the thread. Are they still around?

an iksar marauder
May 6, 2022

An iksar marauder glowers at you dubiously -- looks like quite a gamble.
Parahexavoctal

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Looks like they are still offering their writing wares - thread can be found here.

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

So let's say you're job searching on LinkedIn and you see a position reposted yesterday that you applied to last week.. Does that mean they don't like any of the previous applicants (yourself included) or are they just looking for additional applicants?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

New Leaf posted:

So let's say you're job searching on LinkedIn and you see a position reposted yesterday that you applied to last week.. Does that mean they don't like any of the previous applicants (yourself included) or are they just looking for additional applicants?

No

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

No to which question?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Both.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Usually the things auto post by themselves every xx days.

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Lockback posted:

Usually the things auto post by themselves every xx days.

in my experience it is this

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
poo poo like that is why I had no qualms using "AI" to tune up my resume. If job posters are going to do so much on autopilot (today, on Thanksgiving, I got a follow-up message from a recruiter) then I'm not going to have any problems using automated tools on the job seeker end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chewbecca
Feb 13, 2005

Friday round up: quiet this week, applied for 4 roles, was approached about another 1 (although I suspect I will be ghosted now), and emailed about another 2.

Job interview on Monday, and you never do know!