Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Lord Lambeth posted:

I thought that was specifically fixed in the re-release.

I recall it being fixed when I played Scholar of the First Sin. Specifically, the issue was that your weapon would lose one "hit" worth of durability every frame that it was touching a corpse ragdoll. That was dumb but bearable at 30 FPS, but incredibly awful at 60 FPS. For some weapons like great clubs that tend to smash down directly onto enemy corpses, you could completely break your weapon with one bad swing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Dead Rising 2 came out in 2010, and as far as I know it was the first game Capcom did on PC first and then ported to consoles (an easier process, I guess, since consoles have unified hardware so you build around the hardest thing first.)

loving fantastic port, outside of the GFWL part.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Push El Burrito posted:

Because of this thread I finally bought Bloodborne (it was only like 17 bucks why not). Will report back on my findings. Never really played a Souls game after Demon so I don't know what to expect but I'm guessing blood and birth?

Enjoy your sodomy by Lovecraftian Horrors.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

food court bailiff posted:

Capcom's PC ports really used to be so bad. I had Mega Man Legends for the PC and none of the animations matched the sound properly and you needed to ctrl+alt+del to quit the game.

I'm pretty sure that bad RE4 port didn't have a way to close it out either.

The weird thing is I remember that port also ended up having a surprisingly large modding scene.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Push El Burrito posted:

Because of this thread I finally bought Bloodborne (it was only like 17 bucks why not). Will report back on my findings. Never really played a Souls game after Demon so I don't know what to expect but I'm guessing blood and birth?
You will get both of those, yes. Also bloodborne :v: diseases and other bodily fluids.

Content: I really like the wolf AI in Dark Souls 3. A lone wolf isn't that bad. They can growl from a distance, lunge at you, do a quick bite and jump away or counterattack if you miss. But some of them will howl to wake the rest of the pack. If you stay, they'll slowly surround you. If you run, they'll chase you halfway around the map and try to cut you off. If you try to hide, if any of the wolves find you they'll bark to get the others' attention. And fighting the pack is an appropriately tense and frantic experience. The one you choose to attack will try to dodge while the others rip you to shreds. You can survive against the whole pack, but you really need to make each swing count.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Feonir posted:

Enjoy your sodomy by Lovecraftian Horrors.

I've already played against Mei in Overwatch though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Something I'm liking in God Eater 2 is that most of your damage comes from enemy weakpoints or weapon choice. There is no way to naturally increase the main character's base stats, so it's all in equipping armour to increase his defensive stats, the right weapon to get the right elements or damage types, or knowing where to hit the enemy to maximise damage. For example, in the first Difficulty Level 2 mission it introduces these large armoured gorilla type enemies. They are weak to spark so I equipped the chainsaw due to that having the correct element, but hitting the body did like 12 damage a hit. Hitting the face did about 87 and stunned them, but hitting the tail did 120 damage to them and kept me out of harms way as most of their attacks are charge attacks that leave their tails open for a bit. it adds a layer of strategy that you can't just level your way past something.

I also like the character of Emil, the weiner. He gets into a fight solo with a large enemy that is somewhat dangerous, and of course get his rear end handed to him because of him being that spoiled knight archetype who isn't as strong as he thinks he is, but when Gil tries to intervene the main character gives him a gesture that just says "Hold it". They hang back a little, and Emil manages to pull it off and dispatch the foe after a difficult but satisfying fight, and it helps because he isn't an rear end in a top hat - he doesn't belittle other team members, he just thinks he's more useful than he is and has a severely inflated sense of justice. He's not just bluster, he is genuinely trying to "protect the innocent from the demon scourge" as he keeps putting it in his overly flowery way, he's just really naive. Also in the next mission he does end up in a fight that he can't win, but he is fleeing it and asking for help, and it's a monster bad enough that the main character has to tap into anime powers to even harm it and the others are equally scared of the thing, so he doesn't seem incompetent - they were all in over their heads on that one, and Emil recognised that. Normally this character type is either an idiot or an rear end in a top hat, so I'm glad he's getting some time to shine.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:51 on Feb 5, 2017

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Push El Burrito posted:

I've already played against Mei in Overwatch though.

Yes but unlike Mei, these ones actually have feelings and understand empathy.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Brigador: in a game where most of the vehicles are gigantic mechs or tanks, the devs listened to the players and gave us what we wanted: a tuk tuk.

You can strap two cannons on it and an AK pulse and blow up entire levels at the low, low price of having no armor or shields so an enemy even looking at you will kill you. It's perfect! :allears:

(Basically it's a really neat gimmick vehicle and I'm delighted that it's in the game, so you can do these ridiculous runs where you're flimsy but deadly. If there was a required level with this thing, I'd be mad - but as an option in Freelance mode? Hell yes.)

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

hirvox posted:

You will get both of those, yes. Also bloodborne :v: diseases and other bodily fluids.

Content: I really like the wolf AI in Dark Souls 3. A lone wolf isn't that bad. They can growl from a distance, lunge at you, do a quick bite and jump away or counterattack if you miss. But some of them will howl to wake the rest of the pack. If you stay, they'll slowly surround you. If you run, they'll chase you halfway around the map and try to cut you off. If you try to hide, if any of the wolves find you they'll bark to get the others' attention. And fighting the pack is an appropriately tense and frantic experience. The one you choose to attack will try to dodge while the others rip you to shreds. You can survive against the whole pack, but you really need to make each swing count.

Like with a lot of things in dark souls, there's great little details like that where it comes up like once then never again. Like being able to get an alternate scene with Sif in the first one if you did some sequence fuckery and did the DLC area before fighting him. Or how the abyss watchers will mostly fight each other if you back off a bit because they've been corrupted by the abyss like their inspiration, Artorias. Also being able to beat the samurai boss in 2 so good he kills himself is rad.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Brigador: in a game where most of the vehicles are gigantic mechs or tanks, the devs listened to the players and gave us what we wanted: a tuk tuk.

You can strap two cannons on it and an AK pulse and blow up entire levels at the low, low price of having no armor or shields so an enemy even looking at you will kill you. It's perfect! :allears:

(Basically it's a really neat gimmick vehicle and I'm delighted that it's in the game, so you can do these ridiculous runs where you're flimsy but deadly. If there was a required level with this thing, I'd be mad - but as an option in Freelance mode? Hell yes.)

This reminds me that one of the most effective anti-vehicle strats in Battlefield Vietnam was two guys on a moped. One to drive and the other to launch RPGs from the bumper seat. Put rockets down range then buzz off where no other vehicle could follow worked like a charm every time.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Dead Rising 2 came out in 2010, and as far as I know it was the first game Capcom did on PC first and then ported to consoles (an easier process, I guess, since consoles have unified hardware so you build around the hardest thing first.)

loving fantastic port, outside of the GFWL part.

I think they've removed GFWL now too.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nuebot posted:

Also being able to beat the samurai boss in 2 so good he kills himself is rad.

wait, i'm unfamiliar with this. what samurai boss?

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

Blind Sally posted:

Sir Alonne, fun boss but a pain in the rear end to get to (he's in a time-limited memory like the Giant Lord's).

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

I also like the character of Emil, the weiner.

Speaking of which, when you first meet him after he chats with you he starts walking away towards some stairs, with his arm in the air shouting to you over his shoulder. If you don't press anything to trigger the next line of dialogue, he will eventually reach the stairs and fall head over heels down them

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

RentACop posted:

Speaking of which, when you first meet him after he chats with you he starts walking away towards some stairs, with his arm in the air shouting to you over his shoulder. If you don't press anything to trigger the next line of dialogue, he will eventually reach the stairs and fall head over heels down them

What? :psyduck:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Oh my god, I didn't wait long enough. I was enjoying watching him walk away infinitely and thought he'd got stuck so advanced it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Someone got a video of that? That sounds amusing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

This reminds me that one of the most effective anti-vehicle strats in Battlefield Vietnam was two guys on a moped. One to drive and the other to launch RPGs from the bumper seat. Put rockets down range then buzz off where no other vehicle could follow worked like a charm every time.

I miss Jihad Jeeping in bad company 2. All the Battlefield games have had people smack a bunch of C4 on passenger vehicles, because that's pretty much the only way to do enough burst damage to insta-kill a tank. BC2 had the ATV, though. It was small and fast and had enough momentum that it was my preferred way to splat heavy tanks. So much rage.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I miss Jihad Jeeping in bad company 2. All the Battlefield games have had people smack a bunch of C4 on passenger vehicles, because that's pretty much the only way to do enough burst damage to insta-kill a tank. BC2 had the ATV, though. It was small and fast and had enough momentum that it was my preferred way to splat heavy tanks. So much rage.

This was a thing in Battlefield from the very start, I remember loading jeeps with det packs in 1942 to nuke tanks and pre-takeoff planes

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

I butchered that sentence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvNrir0fL4I&t=118s

(could only find it in japanese, and the non-hd version of the game :/)

The Chad Jihad has a new favorite as of 22:47 on Feb 5, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

He's part of the Iron Crown DLC. Each DLC features three bosses. Two for the story, one hidden and generally intended for co-op. Alonne is one of the story bosses in the brume tower and he's basically just a big samurai with a big sword who is waiting for you behind a hallway filled with fire and dudes with swords. If you can beat him fast enough without getting hit, he has a special death animation where he stabs himself with his sword. It's an excellent fight because it does what Dark Souls 2 does best. Just pits you against a dude in armor without any bullshit. Both he and the other main boss of that DLC, Raime the Fume Knight, are excellent fights.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It also plays into the lore cause Alonne was like a super samurai or something so he'd rather commit Hara kiri than let you defeat him.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Alteisen posted:

It also plays into the lore cause Alonne was like a super samurai or something so he'd rather commit Hara kiri than let you defeat him.

Alonne was basically the reason why the Iron King was such a badass. Well, that and a stick that could make iron golems come to life. All the soldiers wear armor styled after him, they fight like he did because he trained them. When the iron king turned into a huge douche, Alonne was like "I'm out, gently caress you" and the iron king's soldiers took alonne's side because he was such a rad dude they were more loyal to him than their king.

There is then the possible implication that it's alonne's soul he tried to put into the smelter demon, given that its fighting style is reminiscing of Alonne's and it stabs its self to power up like he does, which then killed him in a rage and sank the castle into the volcano's lava.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Watching the latest episode of The Grand Tour which is in Dubai. Is it normal to be having Spec Ops: The Line flashbacks?

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

In Mad Max, there are war criers that dangle above fights drumming to pump up the enemy, and there are also massive deadly storms that blow through every now and then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeWk4VM5yo

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

In Mad Max, there are war criers that dangle above fights drumming to pump up the enemy, and there are also massive deadly storms that blow through every now and then:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKeWk4VM5yo

Even though it's counter-intuitive, it's worth it to leave the war crier alive at least once, so you can have an open and honest conversation with him about his life choices.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21v1SyC0DiM

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Nuebot posted:

He's part of the Iron Crown DLC.

Ah, that's why. I haven't gotten around to the DLC yet. THanks!

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Blind Sally posted:

Ah, that's why. I haven't gotten around to the DLC yet. THanks!

Dark Souls 2's DLC is genuinely better than the main game, and I say that as someone who still thinks the main game of Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls. If/When you get around to it I hope you enjoy it.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Nuebot posted:

Dark Souls 2's DLC is genuinely better than the main game, and I say that as someone who still thinks the main game of Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls. If/When you get around to it I hope you enjoy it.

After about 40 fruitless attempts on one of the DLC bosses, I went to look up a strategy and discovered that (part of) the reason he was so tough was that I was wearing a helmet that caused him to immediately enter his buffed-up second phase. The helmet, an item from the base game, belonged to the knight who kicked the boss's rear end and sent him packing to DLC land in the first place.

At the time I was very annoyed, but I've since decided it's cool.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

After about 40 fruitless attempts on one of the DLC bosses, I went to look up a strategy and discovered that (part of) the reason he was so tough was that I was wearing a helmet that caused him to immediately enter his buffed-up second phase. The helmet, an item from the base game, belonged to the knight who kicked the boss's rear end and sent him packing to DLC land in the first place.

Haha seriously? That's pretty fantastic.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6D43KZeMog

DD4 is the most well programmed game I have ever played.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

Yeah, it wasn't just the helmet. Fume Knight is legit one of the hardest bosses in the series. Make sure you kill the smelter statue behind me his boss arena, it can buff the poo poo out of him.

A HUNGRY MOUTH
Nov 3, 2006

date of birth: 02/05/88
manufacturer: mazda
model/year: 2008 mazda6
sexuality: straight, bi-curious
peircings: pusspuss

Nap Ghost

Your Gay Uncle posted:

Yeah, it wasn't just the helmet. Fume Knight is legit one of the hardest bosses in the series. Make sure you kill the smelter statue behind me his boss arena, it can buff the poo poo out of him.

Believe me, that fight took me hours of trying even after finding out how to not step directly into the meat grinder.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Your Gay Uncle posted:

He's a great fight though. But yeah, the helmet just makes him start in the more aggressive second phase of the fight rather than having to fight the whole way through. It can be a pretty big surprise to anyone trying it for the first time and just casually wearing that helmet.

It's also worth noting, for lore reasons, there are statues that have similar helmets in the first DLC and the first boss of that DLC summons poop golem versions of the guy who wears that helmet.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
The Fume Knight always throws me off because he's left-handed. That isn't something which should be weird, but it makes his animations and attack timings just different enough to catch me with my guard down.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

A HUNGRY MOUTH posted:

I would actually intentionally use it to rile him up so I could beat him easier. Sure he hits way harder in that form but at the expense of being slower to strike and far more predictable. I also had to completely abandoned my usual tanking tactic. I loved that fight though.

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

I always found Fume's second form easier than his first, personally. Assuming you aren't standing directly on top of him, rolling straight backwards lets you avoid anything but his windup attack 100% of the time. When he starts the windup, just roll diagonally left under the hilt of his sword. You'll end up behind him and can take a bunch of free shots with no danger.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Just got to the Character Stories in God Eater 2, and I'm enjoying them so far (as far into Ciel's as I can get and started Emil's but now for him and the 2 remaining characters I have to do missions with them, so I know who my next few teams will be :v: Ciel's as far as she can get right now).

If you're going to rip anything off, Persona's social links are a good choice, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the characters develop. I just hope Romeo and Nana have them too as without any development they are just obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

BioEnchanted posted:

Just got to the Character Stories in God Eater 2, and I'm enjoying them so far (as far into Ciel's as I can get and started Emil's but now for him and the 2 remaining characters I have to do missions with them, so I know who my next few teams will be :v: Ciel's as far as she can get right now).

If you're going to rip anything off, Persona's social links are a good choice, and I'm looking forward to seeing how the characters develop. I just hope Romeo and Nana have them too as without any development they are just obnoxious.

HEY! QUIT PLAYING MODERN GAMES!