Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
The absolute tizzies these people have had over the past few days are highly entertaining. I sure would want the public faces of my new social revolution to be people who devolve into frothing hysterics every time they touch a computer.

EDIT: Page 360 No-Scoped

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joust
Dec 7, 2007

No Ledges.

Clitch posted:

The absolute tizzies these people have had over the past few days are highly entertaining. I sure would want the public faces of my new social revolution to be people who devolve into frothing hysterics every time they touch a computer.

What do you mean you wont hire me because I called various strangers Shitfucker babies?

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

ah yes patrick, that monster who would like people to not be horrible shitheads to each other online at all times

sadly his wishes will go unfulfilled because internet people are inherently terrible

I hate klepek but I bet he could actually write a decent article on this whole thing that isn't horrible and will sound reasonable.

It could be the first decent article he writes :twisted:

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Clitch posted:

:eyepop:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

VJeff posted:

I still can't believe Anthony Burch was dumb enough to spit that poo poo out on twitter when his company is being sued.
I don't know who this guy is, what's he/his company getting sued for

Rad Tad posted:

I hate klepek but I bet he could actually write a decent article on this whole thing that isn't horrible and will sound reasonable.

It could be the first decent article he writes :twisted:
but he's written good articles before and thanks to his pretty impressive connections in the industry he's broken some of the biggest gaming news stories in the last decade, and occasionally does some good videos, why do you hate him

I mean yeah he was rough as poo poo when he started at GB but he's pretty cool now, Spelunkin' With Scoops was great

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
doesn't count because it was an edit, real killaz do it on the fly

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

Captain Invictus posted:

Dunno what the lawsuit is about but he was a writer for borderlands 2 which, if you played, is just a collection of reddit posts in game form.

Captain Invictus posted:

why do you hate him

probably not the place to discuss but I never read any of the articles on gb so I don't care about most of his contributions. I tried to watch the most recent spookin' with scoops where he plays P.T. but stopped when he started criticising the game because he wasn't paying attention and couldn't solve any puzzles

e: I think he's a nice, decent person, but his humour isn't good and doesn't gel with most others so him doing mostly solo stuff is best imo

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
you should really watch the Five Nights At Freddy's spookin' with scoops, it's outstanding and the scares and reactions are so good

quote:

entitled sheltered piss baby is preeeeetty goooooood

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Captain Invictus posted:

Thanks weird twitter

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Captain Invictus posted:

you should really watch the Five Nights At Freddy's spookin' with scoops, it's outstanding and the scares and reactions are so good

Piss-babies need the most love.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Jesus Christ, I'm still going through academic studies on video games and I now am convinced we should ban this sick filth. Video games not only make people sexist, but also racist. Think of the children!
http://spp.sagepub.com/content/5/6/698.abstract

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Sep 4, 2014

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

but he's written good articles before and thanks to his pretty impressive connections in the industry he's broken some of the biggest gaming news stories in the last decade, and occasionally does some good videos, why do you hate him

I mean yeah he was rough as poo poo when he started at GB but he's pretty cool now, Spelunkin' With Scoops was great

Patrick has zero consistency of output. He either knocks it out the park or writes condescending articles where he makes trite observations about not very much at all.

In other words he is the writing equivalent of a five tool baseball prospect who might be really good if he puts it all together someday but right now is Jeff Francouer.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

I don't think i ever heard the resolution after patrick "experimented" with the news by writing clickbait articles for a week--was he doing it unironically?

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Proteus4994 posted:

i just don't really get game journalism

if you want previews/trailers/whatever just go to the dev's webpage

if you want to talk about games use reddit or twitter or one of the other million ways to talk about games

if you want reviews, use steam reviews or blogs (yes steam reviews mostly suck but i wouldn't say the signal-to-noise ratio is any worse than any gaming site)

like, seriously, why do you people even visit destructoid or kotaku or giant bomb or whatever? there is literally no reason at all

Because publishers and store platforms are still mostly bad at aggregating their PR in a form that can be easily discovered, digested by normal humans, summarized and discussed without it being burned to the ground by mockery, and most of the times some corner case stuff can be lost because it's not directly coming to the platform you are following.

Twitter, Reddit and Facebook are terrible platforms, if you subscribe to a gaming personality you will also have to accept stuff like his political views or morning frappuccino pictures, if you subscribe to a company twitter you will avoid political stuff but you will have to endure stuff like a retweet from a fan with a picture of frappuccino covered with chocolate powder spelling "[game title] IS GREAT!"

Forums are a good channel, however there is still part of the community that has the nasty habit of having opinions that are contrary to yours, if they cover stuff that could interest you is just by chance, or to sometimes have this habit of echoing ideas that would put you off from trying a game.

Journalism+Forums, while they are not perfect channel, is still the best combo. And there are better sites than Destructoid and Kotaku (can't talk about Giant Bomb, it always looked like an unreadable mess to me).

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Captain Invictus posted:

Gearbox, the makers of Borderlands 2 are getting sued by SEGA for some poo poo, I'm not 100% on the details. But I remember Gearbox basically embezzled a bunch of money from SEGA to pay for Borderlands 2 a while ago, so it might have something to do with that!

Clitch posted:

Every time they self destruct it gets screencapped and sent to their bosses/advertisers/sponsors. They're literally doing Gamergate's work for them.

Which is appropriate because at every opportunity they could've let this blow over, they decided to poo poo in their pants and throw another log on the fire instead.

Rad Tad
Jul 2, 2014

VJeff posted:

Which is appropriate because at every opportunity they could've let this blow over, they decided to poo poo in their pants and throw another log on the fire instead.

hoping pun was intended

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

If you want to make a real legit point against Zoe Quinn and her supporters or the other side and their supporters bring up Dani Bunten.

Nobody is ever going to because this boils down to a slapfight on twirter between people who can't remember the year 1998.

Clitch
Feb 26, 2002

I lived through
Donald Trump's presidency
and all I got was
this lousy virus
Good Night, CuckWatchers. Here's hoping I wake up to some more delicious twitter meltdowns.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Captain Invictus posted:

i look forward to the day when they finally run out of insults they can use without being problematic and are reduced to fuming in impotent rage staring at their monitors desperately trying to think of a way to call someone a loving idiot without being in any way offensive

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

BigFatFlyingBloke posted:

Patrick has zero consistency of output. He either knocks it out the park or writes condescending articles where he makes trite observations about not very much at all.

In other words he is the writing equivalent of a five tool baseball prospect who might be really good if he puts it all together someday but right now is Jeff Francouer.
congratulations on making your simplification more obtuse than the initial one!

Rad Tad posted:

I don't think i ever heard the resolution after patrick "experimented" with the news by writing clickbait articles for a week--was he doing it unironically?
a lot of people think it was higher ups pushing him to produce more daily content and he was trying out the Kotaku style of bullshit clickbait to show them it wouldn't be well-received, but idk

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
can you even imagine if this amount of passion was put towards something worthwhile

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

MrQwerty posted:

If you want to make a real legit point against Zoe Quinn and her supporters or the other side and their supporters bring up Dani Bunten.

If the point is "Hey, there's always been women in the games industry, how about celebrating them and their accomplishments to maybe encourage girls to give games development a shot!!!!"? Then it's already been made over and over without mentioning Dani Bunten and it's been ignored every time.

cock hero flux posted:

i look forward to the day when they finally run out of insults they can use without being problematic and are reduced to fuming in impotent rage staring at their monitors desperately trying to think of a way to call someone a loving idiot without being in any way offensive

:lol: that day passed sometime before the people on the #notyourshield tag were literally called house niggers.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug
The scuttlebutt was that Gearbox used the money / resources earmarked to make Aliens: Colonial Marines was instead funnelled into making the first Borderlands and in the process fabricated production milestones / "unavoidable delays" to keep getting money out of Sega. Which is why Aliens: Colonial Marines was such a colossal mess.

Sega / Gearbox also got censured by the ASA in the UK over "Aliens: Colonial Marines" for false advertising.

Captain Invictus posted:

congratulations on making your simplification more obtuse than the initial one!

It's a skill I work hard at. :)

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

VJeff posted:

:lol: that day passed sometime before the people on the #notyourshield tag were literally called house niggers.

they've already been reduced to 4-year-old level insults and it's great because it makes them sound like complete loving retards no matter how ironic they try to be about it

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

VJeff posted:

If the point is "Hey, there's always been women in the games industry, how about celebrating them and their accomplishments to maybe encourage girls to give games development a shot!!!!"? Then it's already been made over and over without mentioning Dani Bunten and it's been ignored every time.

No the point is that Daniel Bunten made MULE and Danielle Bunten died in 1998 and the game industry that was built partially by their success has always been inclusive since Roberta Williams signed deals with lines of coke while publishing Leisure Suit Larry.

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

MrQwerty posted:

:v:

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

Captain Invictus posted:

No he hasn't. He's done nothing journalistic. He only got hot consumer product marketing news 30 minutes early, once, pre-circulated it with his facebook circle of fake journalists and then posted it first, then filmed a video congratulating himself for catching the first of many Xbox retractions.

The rest of the time he has been posting "I knew about that but didnt say anything" Because he is entirely owned by his 'sources' that are of zero value to his readers.

He has done no investigative journalism, and nothing even on consumer advocacy, like asking the whys and hows of terrible anti-consumer policies. Its all "watch me camwhore!" or "I feel everyone needs to feel this way" bullshit.

If you like his windmill-tilting "the internet should be a nice place becaue I want it to be" crusade, that's great, but its not journalism. Patrick is and has always been a columnist, but his pride prevents him from ever admitting that. His COD-Zampella-Activision work was half-done by someone else, the actual guy sitting at the courthouse.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Captain Invictus posted:

can you even imagine if this amount of passion was put towards something worthwhile
People are asking the same thing in the tech bubble thread

Teron D Amun
Oct 9, 2010

are gamers and gamer journalism dead yet

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Teron D Amun posted:

are gamers and gamer journalism dead yet

How's "stabbing themselves over and over in the stomach" grab you? We got plenty of that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Shadow Puppet Of posted:

No he hasn't. He's done nothing journalistic. He only got hot consumer product marketing news 30 minutes early, once, pre-circulated it with his facebook circle of fake journalists and then posted it first, then filmed a video congratulating himself for catching the first of many Xbox retractions.

The rest of the time he has been posting "I knew about that but didnt say anything" Because he is entirely owned by his 'sources' that are of zero value to his readers.

He has done no investigative journalism, and nothing even on consumer advocacy, like asking the whys and hows of terrible anti-consumer policies. Its all "watch me camwhore!" or "I feel everyone needs to feel this way" bullshit.

If you like his windmill-tilting "the internet should be a nice place becaue I want it to be" crusade, that's great, but its not journalism. Patrick is and has always been a columnist, but his pride prevents him from ever admitting that. His COD-Zampella-Activision work was half-done by someone else, the actual guy sitting at the courthouse.

if your beef is whether he's a "journalist" or not then Jeff has said they're personalities, not journalists, soooooo

I just love how much hate he gets when frankly there's way worse out there. Like I don't think even Ben Kuchera or Arthur Gies get as much poo poo as Patrick does.

blainestereo
Jan 16, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

if your beef is whether he's a "journalist" or not then Jeff has said they're personalities, not journalists, soooooo

I just love how much hate he gets when frankly there's way worse out there. Like I don't think even Ben Kuchera or Arthur Gies get as much poo poo as Patrick does.

I have no idea who this Klepek fellow is but you seem to like him a lot!

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Captain Invictus posted:

I think people have really low expecations of Kuchera and Gies and when they repeatedly fail to clear even that very low bar just get mocked.

It seems people have generally higher expectations of Patrick so he's more likely to get poo poo for bad articles.

Shadow Puppet Of
Feb 13, 2014

If I worked there I'd have freaked out long ago and smeared toner all over my naked body, flopping around to spell out "I TOLD YOU SO!" on the carpet until campus security could drag me away.
:xbone:

Captain Invictus posted:

What? Patrick calls himself A Journalist and went to school for it. Yes Jeff and the rest of the living ones are personalities, poo poo I dont think Jeff can even type anymore through the pre-diabetic damage done to his exterminates, that is not the point.

Patrick had the capability to be the best, useful, enlightening because of the freedom he had and the brains he has. listen again to the "Welcome Patrick" podcast. None of that journalism materialized, he just got lazy as Jeff cannot manage people and fell into the pit of "Oh gosh My best Friends at Harmonix are so wacky!".

I hate Patrick with a passion because of what he could have been, and how rare it will be that someone else can ever have that opportunity that to this day he is still squandering.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

blainestereo posted:

I have no idea who this Klepek fellow is but you seem to like him a lot!

Careful he might start posting anime if he feels threatened

il-landier
Jan 28, 2008

Captain Invictus posted:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

ya

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
game journalist is a public service.

they connect gamers with games. they help propagate hype, and they do some criticism too.

things like steam, the ios app store, android marketplace, etc... are a race to the bottom, where devs can only put 1$ of effort into the next game. and gamers will put much less than 1$.

you need journalist to fight that, so quality can speak by themselve, and not be buried in the 894441th position of a app store like steam

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
It should be noted that the year or so has contained a shitload of actual corruption in games media that 0 online nerds seemed to care about.

Lets not forget the fact that a bunch of Goons who are one of the most watched gaming channels on YouTube basically came out and said "As long as you agree to a extensively predatory and assrapingly harsh profit sharing contract we will gladly publicize and promote your game on our channel." which was based on the idea that since Indie games desperately need media attention they would be willing to sacrifice a huge chunk of their profit just to be featured in a couple videos with 500k views.

Or how about that time someone in video games actually did real journalism and found out that a shitload of YouTubers were violating a bunch of laws.
(This isn't 100% accurate, I know the person in question who did the UbiSoft coverage and it was all labeled as being sponsored, also it wasn't really a review or anything mostly he talked to one guy for a little bit and then showed off some con swag)

Or that Need For Speed slash XB1 payola thing that turned out to be paying out to a ton of people, all of whom were told to under no circumstances ever disclose any relationship with Microsoft?

I say we need to go back to the Nintendo Power era of games journalism:

-Games sponsored by the parent company (or which are so good they cant be denied or obvious system sellers) get 8-10
-Games by tier 2 developers who advertise in the magazine or who have a good relation ship with the parent company get 6.5-8.5
-Everything else gets a 5 unless it's so bad it serves as a comedy review to entertain 8 year old boys (LOOK HOW AWFUL BARBIE HORSE ADVENTURES IS 2/10 BUY MARIO TENNIS INSTEAD)

El Estrago Bonito fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Sep 4, 2014

• Locked thread