Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Majorian
Jul 1, 2009
Around 2 min. in, the scowl Trump is giving Seth Meyers is priceless.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

fade5 posted:

This is basically what I was going to post. It doesn't make sense, and it hasn't ever really made sense, and that's why the GOP is starting to fracture. This alignment of contradictory views started in the 60's, and then in the 80's Reagan basically hammered this bunch of disparate coalitions together with the religious right/evangelicals to make the modern Republican party. The party held together while opposing Clinton, they were in power again under George W. Bush, but now after 8 years of Obama things are fraying at the seams, hard. The easiest and clearest example of this fraying is the man currently leading the Republican nomination, one Donald J. Trump.

Lindsey Graham has adopted the fiscally conservative polices domestically because that's what the modern Republican party calls dogma, and deviating from that is likely to get you disowned or primaried, especially in South Carolina. On the foreign front Lindsey Graham has more sensible policies, because somewhere in his mind he probably knows those policies are generally effective. Unfortunately he hasn't (and likely will not) reconcile these two contradictory things. It's actually somewhat sad, since Lindsey Graham is a prime example of a Republican you could actually negotiate with.

That article has been really helpful, I had no idea (thanks to amazing public schools, I've never actually had an American history or civics class in my entire life and only really know what I've tried to teach myself). I always kind of assumed the two parties had strong core identities. I've only recently gotten the information I've needed to understand how wrong I was about that. (For example, I'd never understood how the South used to be Democratic. One half-assed history class could have cleared that up for me at any time!)

Yeah, I appreciate there's an electability angle there (Graham himself was in the Tea Party crosshairs last cycle for being insufficiently conservative). But it feels like that issue is self-perpetuating: you produce this increasingly insane (and once you hit Cruz views, I genuinely mean insane) party and penalize anyone who tries to suppress the radicalization (often by replacing them with those who will go in full bore). At some point, your party has to take a deep breath or collapse, but the further along things are, the more rabid everyone has become, the harder it is to rein it in. I mean, yes, we're seeing that, I get that--what I don't understand is, wasn't this predictable over the long-term? Isn't that the point of groups like the RNC, to provide a central vision that keeps the party on track for future viability? For all that people are complaining about the Democratic primary superdelegates, it seems like they exist specifically to circumvent this problem, at the national level anyway. Also, it seems like Republicans are buckling down on things that no sensible central party authority would recommend. When I was watching the Republican debate in advance of the New Hampshire primary, Rubio volunteered his disapproval of gay marriage on an unrelated question. But that's a lost cause, right? So is the central authority holding fast on something unhelpful to them and demanding it of those under its purview, or are individual Republicans acting like mavericks when it's unhelpful to the party on the national level? I could see having that as a policy position if your main concern was being elected back into power in Alabama or whatever, but don't serious contenders for national positions get coached at some point about this poo poo and how it affects the party's trajectory by... someone? I guess I'm just not totally sure where the power to define the party comes from or who has it.

I'm sure this is 101 stuff to anyone more politically aware than I am, sorry :downs:.

Vienna Circlejerk
Jan 28, 2003

The great science sausage party!
I haven't seen this posted yet, sorry if it was and I just missed it somehow.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Trump: Steak
Cruz: Butter Cow
Rubio: Sandwich Cubano
Kasich: Skyline Chili.

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

Dolash posted:

No, I get that they're Trump steaks, but they're just raw. Is he going to serve them to people? Is he giving them away as gifts? Will he throw a BBQ right there on stage? Is he just going to gesture to them as one of his fine products then chuck 'em out at the end of the night because they've sat out too long?

Honestly I'm guessing nobody but Trump actually knows the answer so maybe I'm the fool for the asking.

He's going to take a Trump Cow and fly it into space because i don't think there's been a cow in space before. Those steaks are gonna feed that cow. Cownabalism

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Majorian posted:

Well, but I never said Clinton was ever distant from Wall Street. If you read my posts, you'll see I'm pointing out that Trump's claims to be somehow more distant from Wall Street than Clinton doesn't seem terribly believable.

I think the fact that she's accepted millions and millions of dollars from them in various forms over the years while Trump has taken none proves you wrong.

Every time I start to reconsider my support of Trump, I just remember that he's up against Hillary and all the second thoughts go away.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
preferring his beef well-done is the most repulsive thing about trump

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cruz: Butter Cow

This is wrong because a Cubano is actually good.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Cruz: Lung Butter Cow

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

William Bear posted:

Here.

The joke is that she lost both legs serving in Iraq.

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

This is Tammy Duckworth for those who don't know

A very loud lol :golfclap:

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Zombies' Downfall posted:

preferring his beef well-done is the most repulsive thing about trump

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

This whole dinner must be something he still has nightmares over. Fantastic

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Venom Snake posted:

I'm trying to think of a person more vain than trump in the modern age but im failing.

That's a good thing. Trump wants to be loved, he'll try to do popular things as president and take on the special interests so that he can bask in the adoration of the American people like Theodore Roosevelt with his trustbusting.

Hillary doesn't care what anyone thinks of her, she just wants power and influence.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

The Saurus posted:

That's a good thing. Trump wants to be loved, he'll try to do popular things as president and take on the special interests so that he can bask in the adoration of the American people like Theodore Roosevelt with his trustbusting.

Oh go gently caress yourself

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Saurus posted:

I think the fact that she's accepted millions and millions of dollars from them in various forms over the years while Trump has taken none proves you wrong.

Eh...but he actually has, you see. Have a look at those loans I posted above.

SNAKES N CAKES
Sep 6, 2005

DAVID GAIDER
Lead Writer

Dolash posted:

No, I get that they're Trump steaks, but they're just raw. Is he going to serve them to people? Is he giving them away as gifts? Will he throw a BBQ right there on stage? Is he just going to gesture to them as one of his fine products then chuck 'em out at the end of the night because they've sat out too long?

Honestly I'm guessing nobody but Trump actually knows the answer so maybe I'm the fool for the asking.

He's going to throw raw meat to the base.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

The Saurus posted:

That's a good thing. Trump wants to be loved, he'll try to do popular things as president and take on the special interests

Hahaha, no he won't. He'll do whatever he needs to win the support of the special interests.

e: Better Business Bureau: Trump Lied About Trump University Rating

quote:

"The BBB did not send a document of any kind to the Republican debate site last Thursday evening," the nonprofit organization said on Tuesday. "The document presented to debate moderators did not come from BBB that night."

As to Trump's basic claim, the watchdog group said, "Trump University does not currently have an A rating with BBB. The BBB Business Review for this company has continually been 'No Rating' since September 2015. Prior to that, it fluctuated between D- and A+."

Following the debate on Thursday, Trump tweeted what he said was the official A rating for the Trump Entrepreneur Initiative, a later name for Trump University.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Mar 9, 2016

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Which of the deadly sins hasn't Trump been confirmed, in his own words, to embrace?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epic High Five posted:

Which of the deadly sins hasn't Trump been confirmed, in his own words, to embrace?

sloth probably

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

Epic High Five posted:

Sloth, I guess?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Trump is nothing NOTHKNG like TDR. Good god man.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Epic High Five posted:

Envy?

I don't doubt he has embraced it especially if the thing about misrepresenting his wealth is true but admitting it would undermine his entire persona

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Epic High Five posted:

idk if you can call the teetotaler who eats his steak well done gluttonous exactly

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Pick posted:

sloth probably

I dunno...his whole "not actually building things, and just licensing my name as a lovely lifestyle brand" strikes me as a little slothful.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Saurus posted:

Hillary doesn't care what anyone thinks of her, she just wants power and influence.

You don't know what "vain" means.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Okay so probably not Sloth, but I'd argue that his vanity borders on gluttony

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

Pick posted:

Oh go gently caress yourself

N
I
C
E

M
E
L
T
D
O
W
N

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Pick posted:

That article has been really helpful, I had no idea (thanks to amazing public schools, I've never actually had an American history or civics class in my entire life and only really know what I've tried to teach myself). I always kind of assumed the two parties had strong core identities. I've only recently gotten the information I've needed to understand how wrong I was about that. (For example, I'd never understood how the South used to be Democratic. One half-assed history class could have cleared that up for me at any time!)

Yeah, I appreciate there's an electability angle there (Graham himself was in the Tea Party crosshairs last cycle for being insufficiently conservative). But it feels like that issue is self-perpetuating: you produce this increasingly insane (and once you hit Cruz views, I genuinely mean insane) party and penalize anyone who tries to suppress the radicalization (often by replacing them with those who will go in full bore). At some point, your party has to take a deep breath or collapse, but the further along things are, the more rabid everyone has become, the harder it is to rein it in. I mean, yes, we're seeing that, I get that--what I don't understand is, wasn't this predictable over the long-term? Isn't that the point of groups like the RNC, to provide a central vision that keeps the party on track for future viability? For all that people are complaining about the Democratic primary superdelegates, it seems like they exist specifically to circumvent this problem, at the national level anyway. Also, it seems like Republicans are buckling down on things that no sensible central party authority would recommend. When I was watching the Republican debate in advance of the New Hampshire primary, Rubio volunteered his disapproval of gay marriage on an unrelated question. But that's a lost cause, right? So is the central authority holding fast on something unhelpful to them and demanding it of those under its purview, or are individual Republicans acting like mavericks when it's unhelpful to the party on the national level? I could see having that as a policy position if your main concern was being elected back into power in Alabama or whatever, but don't serious contenders for national positions get coached at some point about this poo poo and how it affects the party's trajectory by... someone? I guess I'm just not totally sure where the power to define the party comes from or who has it.

I'm sure this is 101 stuff to anyone more politically aware than I am, sorry :downs:.
Nah it's fine, I had my own crash course in exactly what you're learning now a couple years ago thanks to this very forum (and College History, since as you noted US History tends to skim over things that are very much relevant).

This was very much predictable, but the Republican party has basically been hoping to put the realignment off for as long as possible becuase it will result in a massive loss of power while the realignment happens. The other thing is that while this strategy is terrible for Republican nationally, it has paid astounding dividends for them locally:

Tax Lich Grover Norquist helpfully made this map. Notice that there are only 6 states where democrats control all branches of government. On the other side there are 24 states where Republican control all branches of government, and this means that getting Democratic control of the presidency, the National Senate and the House is going to be exceedingly difficult until at least 2020.

Current the national government breaks down to:
Executive: Democrat
Legislative: Republican
Senate:Republican
House: Republican
Judicial: 4-4 deadlock, Republican obstruction reaching new levels of fury
Until that Lich Scalia finally loving died the Republicans had a general 5-4 majority on the Supreme Court (exception for stuff like same-sex marriage) so they had all brances except one, the executive.

Republicans still hold far too much to just give in and let the realignment happen, they're going to fight like heel to keep what they've got. Luckily they now have to deal with the rampaging beast that is Trump.

In summation, this is why I want Trump to win the Republican nomination, but only after Maximum Chaos, Brokered Convention gently caress YEAH!:getin:

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
I see the Saurus has woken up from his fatnap

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Nobody recommended a election news stream so now I'm listening to Alex Jones

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
gently caress I didn't think we'd have to wait the extra hour for Michigan.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe

euphronius posted:

Trump is nothing NOTHKNG like TDR. Good god man.

If Theodore Roosevelt was around today SJWs would be saying that he's literally Hitler:

Theodore Roosevelt posted:

We should insist that if the immigrant who comes here does in good faith become an American and assimilates himself to us he shall be treated on an exact equality with every one else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed or birth-place or origin.

But this is predicated upon the man’s becoming in very fact an American and nothing but an American. If he tries to keep segregated with men of his own origin and separated from the rest of America, then he isn’t doing his part as an American. There can be no divided allegiance here. . . We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language, for we intend to see that the crucible turns our people out as Americans, of American nationality, and not as dwellers in a polyglot boarding-house; and we have room for but one soul loyalty, and that is loyalty to the American people.

Imagine wanting immigrants to learn the majority language and assimilate to the American culture for the sake of national unity and harmony. loving shitlord.

Al! posted:

I see the Saurus has woken up from his fatnap

Some of us have to work for a living and don't have time to make 500 posts a day like Majorian.

The Saurus fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 9, 2016

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Every single session at the AEI World Forum is funny:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/303250077/2016-AEI-World-Forum-Agenda

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Kasich is currently tied with Trump in Michigan. I love it.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

boom boom boom posted:

Nobody recommended a election news stream so now I'm listening to Alex Jones

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3767387

there you go you big lazy babby

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Joementum posted:

Every single session at the AEI World Forum is funny:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/303250077/2016-AEI-World-Forum-Agenda

I like the millenials panel featuring just one person under 30

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

Kasich is currently tied with Trump in Michigan. I love it.

"John Kasich has jumped out to a tiny early lead in Michigan, but it’s almost all from Oakland County, the wealthiest and best-educated area of the state. That’s fairly good news for Donald Trump, who ought to perform better vis-a-vis Kasich in the rest of the state."

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

The Saurus posted:

If Theodore Roosevelt was around today SJWs would be saying that he's literally Hitler:

Imagine wanting immigrants to learn the majority language and assimilate to the American culture for the sake of national unity and harmony. loving shitlord.

Some of us have to work for a living and don't have time to make 500 posts a day like Majorian.

woah holy poo poo modern leftists object to something that a man born in 1858 says

• Locked thread