Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

To provide some methadone for our OotS smack, I can suggest checking out Skullkickers. It's not particularly mind-blowing or exceptionally witty, but it's a professionally-drawn D&D-inspired comic about two blockhead mercenaries/adventurers who wander around having lots of violent encounters and conducting unorthodox diplomacy. "A fun romp" would be a fairly thorough description of it.

Plus, it's already been published in several books and is only now getting gradually re-published online, so it's pretty much guaranteed to keep an uninterrupted schedule for a long time :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

NihilCredo posted:

To provide some methadone for our OotS smack, I can suggest checking out Skullkickers. It's not particularly mind-blowing or exceptionally witty, but it's a professionally-drawn D&D-inspired comic about two blockhead mercenaries/adventurers who wander around having lots of violent encounters and conducting unorthodox diplomacy. "A fun romp" would be a fairly thorough description of it.

Plus, it's already been published in several books and is only now getting gradually re-published online, so it's pretty much guaranteed to keep an uninterrupted schedule for a long time :v:

If we're talking other D&D comics, I prefer Nodwick.

JessKay
Oct 16, 2011

All these posts, and still no update (yes, I know Rich still has a useless hand, but a man can hope). You're all assholes, and I hate you.

...I'm part of the problem. :doh:

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

LashLightning posted:

Why are we talking about Questionable Content (A bland, if regular and reliable comic) when there are more comics more related to OOTS, like Rusty and Co?

Rusty, Mimic and 'Cube have once again joined up with Madeline the Paladin, this time against a bunch of Hipster Vampires.

I absolutely love the sense of motion you get in this comic.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
You'd think Rich would let in some guest comics for this, come to think of it.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Gamerofthegame posted:

You'd think Rich would let in some guest comics for this, come to think of it.

He has used a few, then decided long ago not to use guest comics anymore.

I think that with his health troubles, he figured he risked having his archive filled by more guest comics than "host" comics, which would just be odd. His fans are used to waiting.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Every time I read an archive of some webcomic I loving hate guest comic week or whatever and flip past it as fast as possible. He's making the right choice.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Unless there's somehow KC Green or Beaton in there. Or the Dead Winter fellow. Basically those three

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah I keep an eye out for styles of the people I like but usually it's pretty dull.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
At least it's not as bad as 5-6 years ago, when no matter what the comic was about the characters would stop and play video games for the entirety of the guest artist week.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
A real update!

Got an email from Rich via Kickstarter about lost packages, and also that the cast is off, and he's started physical therapy, but may not be drawing again until the end of the year.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Colonial Air Force posted:

A real update!

Got an email from Rich via Kickstarter about lost packages, and also that the cast is off, and he's started physical therapy, but may not be drawing again until the end of the year.

Yeah, I got it too. There's a whole bunch of stuff about stragglers' orders.

At the bottom is the update to his situation

Finally, here's that last paragraph for everyone who has their books: I'm back to work on what I can do to get some more of the digital rewards out. It's mostly just writing at this stage; I have no idea if I'll even be drawing by the end of the year. And if I am, I have to bring back the regular updated comic before I finish any new rewards. But the digital content WILL get out, even if I have to retrain the way I draw to do it. All I ask is that you have patience with me and my thumb until then. Thanks for all that you've shown so far.

--Rich

Edit: the post on the GitP homepage is slightly different

I got my cast taken off on Friday—the hurricane pushed my appointment back a few days—and had my first physical therapy appointment Monday. I have a splint now, but I can take it off for a few times a day to stretch my hand. The surface wound is healing well, but right now I have almost no mobility in my thumb. I can slightly wiggle the tip, and that's about it. It's going to take some time to get back to the point where I can hold a pencil or use a mouse with that hand (and I don't have enough control with my left hand to draw). I can type normally again for short bursts, if I'm careful, though my wrist on that hand is now very weak from being immobilized for so long. So I'll be getting some work done, even if it will be all behind-the-scenes work for the time being. And I'll be able to return to more frequent status updates on my condition and what's going on around here. Will I get to update the comic before the end of the year? I really don't know. It depends on how therapy goes, but I'm trying my hardest. Right now, therapy is my full-time job and I'll be working only when it doesn't interfere with that. All I ask is for your continued patience as I relearn the process of moving my hand.

ConfusedUs fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 8, 2012

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jesus, he really hosed his hand up but good.

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free
Reminds me of last year's hockey season, when Ottawa's best goaltender flayed his stick hand open while trying to separate frozen chicken breasts. Right around playoff time, too. Tense times, guys. Tense times.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

New update for Kick-

Ok, that's just ridiculous. Morland Studios are making OOTS Figures. Pledgers can get free shipping for a short while, though. Rich's thumb is still healing.

Also, I know beggars can't be choosers but I can't wait for the Summer edition of the paper figures to come out this winter/next spring! :v:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Rich should do a couple of joke comics where he draws with his left hand.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

greatn posted:

Rich should do a couple of joke comics where he draws with his left hand.
I would like to see this.

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007
Is there a QC thread? There should be a QC thread. After today, there needs to be a QC thread. References to hand-stabbiness required.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sfwarlock posted:

Is there a QC thread? There should be a QC thread. After today, there needs to be a QC thread. References to hand-stabbiness required.

Nah. It gets a bit of discussion over in the general webcomics thread.

TampaTango
Apr 12, 2007

COMICS CRIMINAL
This is why you buy Short and Long term disability insurance, even if you are under 30. Nice to hear the news.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
At first I was like "Man how hard could it be using a mouse hurrr" then I thought about trying to use Photoshop/Illustrator with just my off-hand (and worse, no ability to do all the shortcutting that requires two hands) and yeah, it would basically mean everything taking about fifty times longer.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Out of curiosity, I browsed the thread and noticed a lot of Goblins hate. I've never read it, and from the reactions here, I shouldn't, but what's so loathed about it?

I'm not trying to start anything, I'm just curious.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Anatharon posted:

Out of curiosity, I browsed the thread and noticed a lot of Goblins hate. I've never read it, and from the reactions here, I shouldn't, but what's so loathed about it?

It's bad.

Bad art. Bad story. Bad characters.

I cannot think of a single good thing about Goblins, except, maybe, that the updates come so slowly.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Anatharon posted:

Ugly. Ugly ugly ugly. Also pretty dumb, as far as the plot goes.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Anatharon posted:

There's a lot of things that can be said about Goblins, but what it ultimately comes down to is that the author, Thunt, is a pretty bad storyteller. He can build a world, he can build characters, and he can weave a plot, but when it comes to actually taking that world and that plot and putting them in motion it comes out very awkwardly. Thunt is a big fan of words. He's not as bad as some other webcomic artists that we like to trash around these parts, but he relishes the opportunity to throw explanation or exposition at the reader via inappropriate monologues. This is, unfortunately enough, frequently necessary because the world he's built is so loving weird in so many different ways that readers need constant reminding about how weird it is. Also, there's a whole bunch of entirely divergent plotlines that follow characters around as they split up, which doesn't help anything at all.

The guy also has a thing for torturing and killing characters off in incredibly gruesome (and lovingly-rendered) ways, like the monster whose merest touch causes your flesh to slowly bubble and rot away in an excruciating fashion, or the harmless-sounding "cause light wounds" spell reducing someone's face to a smoking crater. Even the non-fatal bad things that happen to characters are weird and terrible, often marking the characters grotesquely and permanently.

Finally, the artwork isn't very good! It's much better than it was in the past, with a unified and consistent style with easily-identified characters and features. The anatomy and linework are terrible though, and the panels are laid out pretty terribly. The artist's also taken to shading pages (usually a few days after the page first goes up), which, while pretty decent-looking, usually only serves to make the pages darker and even harder to read.

e: vvv Exactly.

blastron fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Nov 22, 2012

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

So it is the Song of Ice and Fire of webcomics.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

ZearothK posted:

So it is the Song of Ice and Fire of webcomics.

Let's not start something here.

On the otherhand- RUSTY AND CO, BITCHES!

Silly slapstick punchline, yeah, but it's still good!

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

blastron posted:

There's a lot of things that can be said about Goblins, but what it ultimately comes down to is that the author, Thunt, is a pretty bad storyteller.

Also, he's a bit of a butt. His behavior during the last webcomic popularity contest was rather ugly. (His fans were even worse, but then again, fans always are.)

Rusty & co., on the other hand, is a delightful silly D&D comic, with great art, good anatomy and posture, fluid movement, and endearing characters (even the villains).

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I believe there was also something that went on for a while involving him antagonizing a rape victim? I don't remember the details, and honestly really don't want to.

Basically he's a terrible person who doesn't even have the talent or skill to allow you to ignore that; his readership consists mostly of people who read his comic because he writes about D&D and so "He's obviously one of us." Sometimes I loving hate nerds.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
One of his otherwise-bland characters has Ye Tragicke Backstorye involving rape, because she's a woman and that's the only way to make them interesting (am I right fellas) and during the voting for said webcomic popularity contest, the most recent strip during the last round of voting was that character having a traumatic flashback about her rapist.

So people clicked on the link and got a faceful of man-on-(snake)woman violence without any prior warning, which made someone complain that it was a) kind of triggery; and b) why so much rape and violence anyway?

If there's one thing that nerds hate, it's something they love/enjoy/care about/vaguely know of being besmirched by Some Goddamn Female, and before you could say "men's rights activist" the shitlordery was in full swing. Hunt made a big blog post about it on the webcomic site, saying that this woman was crazy because the latest comic had nothing to do with rape! Which was true, since it had updated since her initial post, but never let facts get in the way of a good rant.

He went on to say that she shouldn't be blamed for lying about his webcomic (or something along those line, at any rate), and here was her email address so all his fans could very pointedly not harass her. Which was either blithering stupidity or uncharacteristic subtlety, neither of which boded well for the poor woman.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
It's even dumber than that.

A group was fighting an evil clone of one their members, and that evil clone had a pet demon. The demon wasn't happy about it, though, and the snake woman had learned the demon's name, so she used it to both free it from its pact and banish it back to hell. The demon replies by saying something rapey to its former master, but it sorta looks like it said that to the snake woman since she was the one talking to it.

So, Thunt goes on and on about how it's misinterpreted out of context and stuff... And it's the next page which has the rape flashback.

While Thunt was defending his comic claiming there's no rape in it, he was drawing a page with rape. There's no words for this.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Jesus Christ, why do you people keep bringing up Goblins.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Cabbit posted:

Jesus Christ, why do you people keep bringing up Goblins.
Clearly, waiting too long for an actually good webcomic to update induces madness in the Goon.

In other words, get well soon, Rich. Please.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

There are far worse things that could happen, like the p-word (do not click).

Oh gods, it would cost me $18 in shipping when buying the Don't Split The Party book from the official store and the total cost is about the same as buying and shipping it from a local store. And that's only because the shipping is free from the local store this weekend. They do not have any in the actual store I walk past every day. :(

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
New thumb update!

http://www.giantitp.com/index.html#nxVTl064ek881OnVCiL

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
For those of us who enjoyed Rusty & Co, it looks like they got some sort of legal threat, entire website is down and the facebook page speaks of lawyers.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

quote:

A lot of people who have been collecting the holiday ornaments for the past eight years have asked whether there would be a 2012 edition, and the answer has changed over the weeks. In late October, the answer was, "Sure!" because I was hopeful I'd be back to work. Then by the beginning of this month, it was, "No," because I wasn't. But now, it's, "Surprisingly, yes," and it's all because of a forgotten file.

See, back in 2007, I had intended for the yearly ornament to feature everyone's least-favorite paladin, Miko Miyazaki—but there were problems. She had met her final fate that year, and speculation was rampant that she would return in one form or another. The more I thought about it, the more I was sure that releasing the ornament with her (back in blue, no less) would fuel rumors that she would be back. I didn't really want to send that message. Plus, I was afraid that a Miko ornament wouldn't sell very well; she was never the most popular character, and my finances were particularly tight that year. So I changed my mind and decided to go with the Linear Guild instead...

...but not before drawing the Miko ornament! I suddenly remembered over the weekend and spent hours searching old backup CDs in order to find it: a perfectly usable ornament design from five years in the past. All I had to do was change the date and resave it. So I'm proud to announce that yes, there IS a 2012 OOTS holiday ornament featuring Miko in her one-horse open sleigh. Of course, usually this announcement comes with a slew of new shirt designs, and this year, that ain't happening. It's just the ornament, or the ornament design loaded onto a shirt.

Miko was a great character, not least for the rage she seemed to inspire. I admire his fortitude in killing her stone dead too, a less writer would have kept her around to troll the fanbase.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON

Soonmot posted:

For those of us who enjoyed Rusty & Co, it looks like they got some sort of legal threat, entire website is down and the facebook page speaks of lawyers.

Weren't they doing something incredibly silly like putting rust monster plushes on their kickstarter?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RickoniX posted:

Weren't they doing something incredibly silly like putting rust monster plushes on their kickstarter?

This is what I assume got them their C&D. It's a shame, it was a really well drawn webcomic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Soonmot posted:

This is what I assume got them their C&D. It's a shame, it was a really well drawn webcomic.

Yeah.

Direct likenesses of copyrighted characters are usually frowned upon. :(