Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Akileese posted:

When Sting beat Hogan is when it should have wrapped up. Give Hogan his rematch with the stip that if Sting wins again the NWO is disbanded.

But lol at Hogan ever doing something like that.

Woody would totally do that.

He'd just win the rematch :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If hogan is getting that nWo merchandise its in his best interest to keep it going as long as possible

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

triplexpac posted:

Woody would totally do that.

He'd just win the rematch :getin:

Oh m god you're right haha

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ideally he would do what he did to Kidman and "lose" a match that made Sting look like poo poo, followed by a couple of PPV matches where he beat him clean despite having the odds rigged against him.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Can someone point to me the right time the nWo should have broken up?

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Kirios posted:

I'd say around the time HBK joined.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kirios posted:

I listed about 3 points where the Hogan nWo group should've broken up on the last page. Gonna kinda exclude the Wolfpack from it, because they were at least babyfaces and had good music.

Sting beating Hogan at Starrcade and the nWo disbanding after a rematch would have been great.

At the very least it should have disbanded after Goldberg destroyed them in the Georgia Dome and won the title. Perfect moment to signify you're now moving into the Goldberg era and away from Hogan.

Then the night after Starrcade, it really really should have ended. Flair challenges Bischoff for control of the company. Despite the best efforts of all the heels, WCW and the babyfaces succeed and Flair wins control.

All 3 moments should have ended with WCW finally winning and the nWo just going away. Instead we got...

Instead Sting wins, but because the ending was hosed up, he gives Hogan a rematch, which ends up in another gently caress finish and a cheap promotional ploy to watch the then-debuting Thunder. No resolution until Superbrawl in February, for an angle that should have ended at Starrcade in December

Goldberg winning would have been an obvious demarcation but gotta keep Hogan strong.

Finally breaking the nWo stranglehold on power? Let's follow that up by the fingerpoke of doom, and 2 months later by a double turn before Goldberg could get his revenge on Hogan and Nash.

Germansimp
May 28, 2013

Kirios posted:

The very second Souled Out went off the air, because nothing the NWO did after that came close to reaching the extraordinarily executed epic excellence of entertainment that that PPV was.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDONfTKFOd0
The fact that the 'sweeeet' gets higher and higher pitched each time cracks me up

I'm just imagining these guys calling hogs or something

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Germansimp posted:

The very second Souled Out went off the air, because nothing the NWO did after that came close to reaching the extraordinarily executed epic excellence of entertainment that that PPV was.

nWo Nitro was close

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Souled Out is the most beautiful thing to watch in hindsight.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kirios posted:

Souled Out is the most beautiful thing to watch in hindsight.

You should watch another PPV that WCW branded for a faction.

New Blood Rising.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I thought New Blood dissolved before that PPV?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Kirios posted:

I thought New Blood dissolved before that PPV?

That is only about the tenth dumbest thing about New Blood Rising.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
In hindsight I appreciate Tony Schiavone as a play by play guy. Sure he was a jerk and power hungry and held a grudge and had a stupid mustache in 1983 and called moves wrong and wasn't liked by anyone he worked with, but he REALLY sold the big moments well.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
If you want to see bad announcing just listen to Bob Caudle on the NWA Starrcades because he sounds half asleep all the time.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

1st AD posted:

If you want to see bad announcing just listen to Bob Caudle on the NWA Starrcades because he sounds half asleep all the time.

I loved Bob Caudle. He sounds like he calls women "Trollops" and orders Rob Roy's at bars.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
Not going to lie, I'm just waiting for THE BLOCK.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Kirios posted:

Probably in the fall of 98. The nWo split was somewhat well done and a Hogan vs Nash, nWo vs nWo feud could have been really hot.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

MassRafTer posted:

Probably in the fall of 98. The nWo split was somewhat well done and a Hogan vs Nash, nWo vs nWo feud could have been really hot.

But then Hogan wouldn't have gotten his win back.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

MassRafTer posted:

The NWO is 4 life and brother vs. brother never draws, brother.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

fart blood posted:

In hindsight I appreciate Tony Schiavone as a play by play guy. Sure he was a jerk and power hungry and held a grudge and had a stupid mustache in 1983 and called moves wrong and wasn't liked by anyone he worked with, but he REALLY sold the big moments well.

tony does deserve the hyperbole he gets

he sold a lot of poo poo as big moments even if it was the same poo poo as last week or completely inconsequential

sure he hit a few big ones

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Tony was good if the product was good. He was the exact same when the product was bad but then the illusion was gone and it was insulting

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

oatgan posted:

Tony was good if the product was good. He was the exact same when the product was bad but then the illusion was gone and it was insulting

He also told us when things will put butts in seats!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
You don't want to miss Nitro tonight. It's 15 minutes away. Put your butt in a seat.

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

even after watching, I'm still stunned that made air.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
See You on Thunder Episode 2

Naitch and I discuss the Starrcade 98 go home, Starrcade 98 and the follow up Nitro!

http://tindeck.com/listen/cnvpe

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Did Tony ever have a truly great announcing partner? He was either working with Larry Zbysko (insufferably smug), Bobby Heenan (they hated each other, plus Brain phoned it in towards the end), Mike Tenay (pretty bland when there are no luchadores in the ring to talk about) or David Crockett on the old NWA show (sounds like he's on Quaaludes half the time).

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Benne posted:

Did Tony ever have a truly great announcing partner?
I recall not hating him and Jesse Ventura as a team, but it wasn't Ventura's best work. Still, Ventura was better than the others you mentioned.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames

Benne posted:

...Bobby Heenan (they hated each other, plus Brain phoned it in towards the end)...

Towards the end?? His entire WCW time was phoned in. That's why I loved Bobby; he was clearly only there for the money. :)

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Benne posted:

Did Tony ever have a truly great announcing partner? He was either working with Larry Zbysko (insufferably smug), Bobby Heenan (they hated each other, plus Brain phoned it in towards the end), Mike Tenay (pretty bland when there are no luchadores in the ring to talk about) or David Crockett on the old NWA show (sounds like he's on Quaaludes half the time).

The phrasing of this question implies that Bobby Heenan wasn't great. This is a bad question. Even phoning it in Bobby was still better than Tony.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
Tony Schiavone was a fine commentator, until he was passed over for the WCW executive producer job for Eric Bischoff. Then he just kinda went on auto-pilot and stopped caring that much.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Even in his short WWF stint he could really sell some big moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-uIs1LU9dg

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Imagine Tony Schiavone running the nWo.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

ayn rand hand job posted:

The phrasing of this question implies that Bobby Heenan wasn't great. This is a bad question. Even phoning it in Bobby was still better than Tony.

Oh no, I wasn't trying to imply that. Brain was always great, even when he stopped caring.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Benne posted:

Oh no, I wasn't trying to imply that. Brain was always great, even when he stopped caring.

He really, really wasn't. There's WCW shows where he is the weakest leg of the PPV commentary by far.

bartok
May 10, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

He really, really wasn't. There's WCW shows where he is the weakest leg of the PPV commentary by far.

Got to agree, Heenan at the Hog Wild shows are a good example of this. Heenan could also kill the heat of a midcard match by being too jokey and just not giving a gently caress.
That said I did love when Heenan and Rhodes were both on commentary and relatively sober.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

Brain sold the gently caress out of the nWo after that one show where they laid out a ton of guys in the back it I'm remembering correctly. He sounded legit afraid when he's talking about his bad neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Alright, which one of you goons is running this twitter?

https://twitter.com/WWESubway/status/689545805573836803