Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

jackpot posted:

Yesterday, around 2pm, I was listening to my local NPR station and there was this short (ten minute) bit about a woman who taught a deaf man sign language, after never having been taught it for 27 years. it was amazing, and I want to find it online but I can't. Anybody else hear it and remember any details that would help me find it?

Heres a transcript http://www.radiolab.org/2010/aug/09/transcript/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cole
Nov 24, 2004

DUNSON'D

Loki777 posted:

Is this what you're looking for?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Independence_%28probability_theory%29
Thanks. Not sure why I didn't think of that.

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit
Does YOSPOS not have archives? I had bookmarked a thread that is no longer in my list of bookmarked threads, and YOSPOS ends after page 5 with no visible archives. Am I missing something?

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

2508084 posted:

Heres a transcript http://www.radiolab.org/2010/aug/09/transcript/
That's it, thanks! I never would've found it, I had no idea it was from last year.

Here's the recording, for anyone who's curious: http://www.radiolab.org/2010/aug/09

Damn Bananas
Jul 1, 2007

You humans bore me
The grounding/3rd prong on my mini fridge's plug broke off. In laymans terms, what could happen if I leave it plugged in without the prong attached? Will it damage just the fridge or could it hurt a person/pet/cause a fire? Alternately, could I super glue it back in? (kind of kidding, but you never know)

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

drat Bananas posted:

The grounding/3rd prong on my mini fridge's plug broke off. In laymans terms, what could happen if I leave it plugged in without the prong attached? Will it damage just the fridge or could it hurt a person/pet/cause a fire? Alternately, could I super glue it back in? (kind of kidding, but you never know)

The earth pin is there so that if something goes wrong, electricity has an easy path to take. That makes it less likely to go somewhere you don't want it to. The best thing to do in your situation is cut off the plug and wire on a replacement.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,1576708,00.html

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

OilSlick posted:

Does YOSPOS not have archives? I had bookmarked a thread that is no longer in my list of bookmarked threads, and YOSPOS ends after page 5 with no visible archives. Am I missing something?

Yes, but the custom style sheet prevents you from accessing them. If you know about when the thread was killed, you can go to another forum, enter the archives, and then switch to YOSPOS and you will be in the YOSPOS archives.

There was a thread in QCS about getting this fixed months ago but it never happened.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

drat Bananas posted:

You could become the path to ground while touching any exposed metal on the fridge, for one. I'd wire up a new plug for it, it's not too difficult.

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

DELETED posted:

You could become the path to ground while touching any exposed metal on the fridge, for one. I'd wire up a new plug for it, it's not too difficult.

Unless its a plastic prong, in which case it is just there to open the other holes and it can be glued back on.

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

The earth pin is there so that if something goes wrong, electricity has an easy path to take. That makes it less likely to go somewhere you don't want it to. The best thing to do in your situation is cut off the plug and wire on a replacement.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,1576708,00.html

I have a scanner/printer that someone gave me, unfortunately the previous owner literally cut the power cord instead of you know, unplugging it. I am reticent to just toss it because I really need the scanner, at the very least. Can I safely cut a three prong plug off something else and erm, attach it to make essentially a new plug? Or is that getting into 'you should really have an electronics professional fix this' territory? I'm pretty good with simple wiring things and have done wonders with speaker/stereo wires but I'm kind of leery of things with electricity going through them. When I was 16 I rewired a lamp and it blew up in the socket because I did it wrong, heh. I'm in my 40s now though, and a lot more careful.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

when worlds collide posted:

I have a scanner/printer that someone gave me, unfortunately the previous owner literally cut the power cord instead of you know, unplugging it. I am reticent to just toss it because I really need the scanner, at the very least. Can I safely cut a three prong plug off something else and erm, attach it to make essentially a new plug? Or is that getting into 'you should really have an electronics professional fix this' territory? I'm pretty good with simple wiring things and have done wonders with speaker/stereo wires but I'm kind of leery of things with electricity going through them. When I was 16 I rewired a lamp and it blew up in the socket because I did it wrong, heh. I'm in my 40s now though, and a lot more careful.
Yes of course that's easy. But then again you managed to wire an AC lamp socket such that it actually caused bulbs to blow (:confused:), so maybe you should ask for help. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,1576708,00.html

You can also buy replacement plugs at home depot and the like so you don't have to destroy something else or risk killing yourself if you forget to unplug it first ;)

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

randyest posted:

Yes of course that's easy. But then again you managed to wire an AC lamp socket such that it actually caused bulbs to blow (:confused:), so maybe you should ask for help. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,1576708,00.html

You can also buy replacement plugs at home depot and the like so you don't have to destroy something else or risk killing yourself if you forget to unplug it first ;)

Thank you! And yeah, I still don't know what went wrong with that lamp, other than I was 16 and never did anything like that before. I thought it would be quite a straight-forward procedure but the *fzzztBLAP* told me otherwise. Just call me Nikola :smug:

I'm probably a bit more meticulous now, and I've built several computers myself successfully, in the years since. It's nice to know that the scanner can be rescued, it's pretty nice and I didn't want to get rid of it.

I'd ask my dad for help but he's kind of cranky unless it's his own house/belongings he's fixing. I should be ok though, with internet! and knowing that it's a common enough issue that Home Depot sells replacements. :) Cheers!

OilSlick
Dec 29, 2005

Population: Buscuit

haveblue posted:

Yes, but the custom style sheet prevents you from accessing them. If you know about when the thread was killed, you can go to another forum, enter the archives, and then switch to YOSPOS and you will be in the YOSPOS archives.

There was a thread in QCS about getting this fixed months ago but it never happened.

Well gently caress. The thread I was reading was like 13000 posts long. I don't want to do that every time I want to read it. Is there any way to bookmark archived threads?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

OilSlick posted:

Well gently caress. The thread I was reading was like 13000 posts long. I don't want to do that every time I want to read it. Is there any way to bookmark archived threads?

Would a browser bookmark work?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

when worlds collide posted:

Thank you! And yeah, I still don't know what went wrong with that lamp, other than I was 16 and never did anything like that before. I thought it would be quite a straight-forward procedure but the *fzzztBLAP* told me otherwise. Just call me Nikola :smug:

I'm probably a bit more meticulous now, and I've built several computers myself successfully, in the years since. It's nice to know that the scanner can be rescued, it's pretty nice and I didn't want to get rid of it.

I'd ask my dad for help but he's kind of cranky unless it's his own house/belongings he's fixing. I should be ok though, with internet! and knowing that it's a common enough issue that Home Depot sells replacements. :) Cheers!
Yeah I'm sure you'll be fine. I assume you had some wires shorted together in the lamp or something. Gget a replacement plug and just follow the instructions and make sure no wires are touching each other. If you're paranoid plug it in to an extension cord or a power strip or a switched outlet so you can do the initial turn on test from a safe distance :) Good luck!

Bob A Feet
Aug 10, 2005
Dear diary, I got another erection today at work. SO embarrassing, but kinda hot. The CO asked me to fix up his dress uniform. I had stayed late at work to move his badges 1/8" to the left and pointed it out this morning. 1SG spanked me while the CO watched, once they caught it. Tomorrow I get to start all over again...
The other night, I got drunk, and I guess I peed in my closet? It could have been one of my roommates. Nonetheless, I discovered it late the next day after work-- a wet spot. Smelled it, sure enough, urine.

By that time, it had half dried, but most of it was still in the carpet pad (I pulled up the corner in the closet). I mixed up some soapy water and went to work with a rag and scrubbed it hard. It didn't really work. I bought an enzyme cleaner from the store, and sprayed it on everything that was affected, still didn't help a ton. Today I tried vinegar on the pad and then mopped it up with a towel and put a fan on it.

It still smells like it slightly, and only when you get close to it. Like when I'm picking up a pair of shoes, I can smell it mixed with the smell of enzyme cleaner/febreeze. Not too bad, but I'm really afraid.

I'm a stickler for smelling good, clothes, cologne, bedding. I'm afraid that even if its a slight smell, its going to saturate my clothes.

Firstly-- Should I fear this?
Secondly-- What can I do, over time, to get rid of whats left of the odor?

WHEEZY KISS A DUDE
Dec 28, 2000

ASK ME HOW TO GET FREE BEER!
(THE ANSWER IS "CHEATING GOONS OUT OF IT")

Bob A Feet posted:

Firstly-- Should I fear this?
Secondly-- What can I do, over time, to get rid of whats left of the odor?

I wouldn't worry about it, but if you're really concerned I've found that baking soda can get rid of it. Just sprinkle some on the spot and let it sit for a while and then vacuum it up. If it lingers, you can mix it with a little bit of water to make a paste and then spread that on the area and let it dry. After it dries, vacuum it up.

A friend of mine swears by Listerine, too.

Coffee Wolf
Oct 12, 2007

Mmmmm Banana
Try the pet odor remover stuff - I've used it in the past with an aging cat, and more recently when my son drank a lot of juice and has leaked on furniture. Of course this is just some leaking and not a full blown adult piss, but I can say with certainty that my comfy chair doesn't reek of child-piss.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
If you rent a movie from Redbox at 1am midnight Sunday, is it due on Tuesday at 9pm? Or what time should I rent something to get the maximum hours.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

b0nes posted:

If you rent a movie from Redbox at 1am midnight Sunday, is it due on Tuesday at 9pm? Or what time should I rent something to get the maximum hours.

I was just looking at an email receipt from them, and it says

quote:

Thank you for using Redbox! The receipt below is for your first night's rental. If you keep your rented disc for any additional nights, Redbox will process those charges after your disc has been returned. If you return your rented disc by 9:00 PM tomorrow, you won't receive any additional charges and this will be your final receipt.

But never mentions the due date specifically. The email has the date and time of your rental, so maybe after midnight you do get an 'extra' day?

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

kensei posted:

I was just looking at an email receipt from them, and it says

But never mentions the due date specifically. The email has the date and time of your rental, so maybe after midnight you do get an 'extra' day?

Well not really an extra day but an additional 23 hours.

Alris
Apr 20, 2007

Welcome to the Fantasy Zone!

Get ready!
On the way home from work I saw a guy (I think) crossing the road with a friend of his. This guy was wearing a really crazy outfit that I guess was an eastern religious thing, as both were asian. My first guess was that he was a Shinto priest or something, but I can't find anything online that matches what he was wearing.

Warning: Horrible MSPaint incoming (thumbnailed so as not to offend the senses)

His robes were a pale grey with really large sleeves, so that you almost could not see his hands. Two things that stood out to me were his shoes (they looked like any old pair of sneakers except there was a pointy bit at the very tip of the toe that looked a bit like a fleur-de-lys) and his hair, which had a piece of grey material tied around a bun on top with the other end I think tied somewhere on his body.

Anyone have any idea what he was?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
The top knot sounds like a Taoist monk thing. Was he wearing leggings above his shoes?

e: check out these two:
http://www.china-cart.com/d.asp?d=9741
http://www.china-cart.com/d.asp?d=13549

kimbo305 fucked around with this message at 02:16 on Feb 28, 2012

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

Chrome updated for no reason and now thumbnails are outlined in red and I can't expand them by clicking them. I have to right click > open in new tab. What's the deeeeal?

ferretsrule
Jul 8, 2010

It's an ostrich :)

Clumsy Card House posted:

Chrome updated for no reason and now thumbnails are outlined in red and I can't expand them by clicking them. I have to right click > open in new tab. What's the deeeeal?

Have a look at this thread.

Zotwoz
Apr 2, 2011
Planning to order 5 boxes of Girl Scout cookies to support the gynocracy. I can choose between these:

Thanks-a-Lots
Shoutouts
Lemonades
Shortbread
Thin Mints
Peanut Butter Patties
Carmel deLites
Peanut Butter Sandwiches

Any recommendations?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Zotwoz posted:

Planning to order 5 boxes of Girl Scout cookies to support the gynocracy. I can choose between these:

Thanks-a-Lots
Shoutouts
Lemonades
Shortbread
Thin Mints
Peanut Butter Patties
Carmel deLites
Peanut Butter Sandwiches

Any recommendations?

What country are you from? Never heard of the first two. Thin mints and caramel delights/Samoas are my personal favorites though.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Peanut Butter Patties, also known as Tagalongs, are fabulous.

Shoutouts are caramelized crispy cookies and Thanks-A-Lots are shortbread cookies with a chocolate bottom.

Here's a good list of them all.

Clumsy Card House
Jan 6, 2008

ferretsrule posted:

Have a look at this thread.

Thanks!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Fire In The Disco posted:

Peanut Butter Patties, also known as Tagalongs, are fabulous.

Shoutouts are caramelized crispy cookies and Thanks-A-Lots are shortbread cookies with a chocolate bottom.

Here's a good list of them all.

I'd swear I read a thread somewhere that talked about East Coast and West Coast bakeries, which is kinda supported by this part of the Wiki Girl Scout Cookies page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Girl_Scout_cookie#Production

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
Different troops also have different ones available, much to the dismay of some customers. I help my niece sell every year and we had a few repeat customers who were disappointed that we didn't have the one he really liked from last year.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking for resources on, erm, death statistics :drac: due to various types of nasty events in transportation. Car crashes and bike crashes. If I'm lucky, stats on climbing/hiking would be nice too.

The background: my mom gives me crap about biking as my main mode of transportation, and also climbing/hiking (and I don't even do trad climbing, yeesh). I always tell her that she's one to talk given that she drives a car for at least an hour total every day. But she thinks they're totally incomparable in the levels of danger, because she lives in a world where everyone drives everywhere and doesn't give it much thought.

I know these sorts of statistics are to be taken with grains of salt, these things depend on your individual actions, etc. I just want to show her (from a source that is not me) that the amount of danger in driving vs biking is at least comparable. Basically if she thinks that she is nearly invincible driving a car, and that I am laughing death in the face every time I bike on a street, is there anything i can point to that might convince her otherwise?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

alnilam posted:

I'm looking for resources on, erm, death statistics :drac: due to various types of nasty events in transportation. Car crashes and bike crashes. If I'm lucky, stats on climbing/hiking would be nice too.

The background: my mom gives me crap about biking as my main mode of transportation, and also climbing/hiking (and I don't even do trad climbing, yeesh). I always tell her that she's one to talk given that she drives a car for at least an hour total every day. But she thinks they're totally incomparable in the levels of danger, because she lives in a world where everyone drives everywhere and doesn't give it much thought.

I know these sorts of statistics are to be taken with grains of salt, these things depend on your individual actions, etc. I just want to show her (from a source that is not me) that the amount of danger in driving vs biking is at least comparable. Basically if she thinks that she is nearly invincible driving a car, and that I am laughing death in the face every time I bike on a street, is there anything i can point to that might convince her otherwise?

I don't have time right now to help you, but I love this kind of stuff. Start with Google Scholar -- here, have a link

quote:

Abstract

The authors used traffic exposure data to calculate exposure-based fatal and nonfatal traffic injury rates in the United States. Nationally representative data were used to identify fatal and nonfatal traffic injuries that occurred from 1999 to 2003, and the 2001 National Household Travel Survey was used to estimate traffic exposure (i.e., person-trips). Fatal and nonfatal traffic injury rates per 100 million person-trips were calculated by mode of travel, sex, and age group. The overall fatal traffic injury rate was 10.4 per 100 million person-trips. Fatal injury rates were highest for motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists. The nonfatal traffic injury rate was 754.6 per 100 million person-trips. Nonfatal injury rates were highest for motorcyclists and bicyclists. Exposure-based traffic injury rates varied by mode of travel, sex, and age group. Motorcyclists, pedestrians, and bicyclists faced increased injury risks. Males, adolescents, and the elderly were also at increased risk. Effective interventions are available and should be implemented to protect these vulnerable road users.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

dokmo posted:

I don't have time right now to help you, but I love this kind of stuff. Start with Google Scholar -- here, have a link

Thanks, that helps a lot

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

any good recommendations on password generation / storage software

on an unrelated note how about cash register software for food deliver places, my job is stuck in the stone age :argh:

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I like Password Safe. It's free/open-sourced, and relatively straightforward to use.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Black Noise posted:

I'm a fan of KeePass. It stores your passwords in an encrypted file, and I know a bunch of people keep that on dropbox for portability. I just keep a portable installation on my USB key, but to each their own.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Black Noise posted:

I like LastPass because it's cross platform and seemless, but some people are put off by having their passwords "in the cloud".

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

dokmo posted:

Thanks! That's cool info and wow walking is more dangerous than cycling "per person trip" but what the heck is a "person trip" and why wouldn't the stats be per person-mile-traveled or something like that that's actually comparable? I know you just did a quick check, and I appreciate that (even though it's not even my question) but now I'm more curious to do an apples-to-apples (or miles-to-miles) comparison. Off to google scholar...

edit: Now I see the chart does not include the person-trip factor in each category yet so it doesn't show that walking is more dangerous than cycling. Still curious about fatalities per person-mile traveled for each mode of transportation.

randyest fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Feb 28, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

randyest posted:

Thanks! That's cool info and wow walking is more dangerous than cycling "per person trip" but what the heck is a "person trip" and why wouldn't the stats be per person-mile-traveled or something like that that's actually comparable? I know you just did a quick check, and I appreciate that (even though it's not even my question) but now I'm more curious to do an apples-to-apples (or miles-to-miles) comparison. Off to google scholar...

edit: Now I see the chart does not include the person-trip factor in each category yet so it doesn't show that walking is more dangerous than cycling. Still curious about fatalities per person-mile traveled for each mode of transportation.

I think maybe per person-mile is actually not as comparable because cars travel a ton more miles than people in a given time. But I see your point.

Although the main gist of their study seems to be the idea of "travel exposure," i.e. how much time you are "exposed" to the conditions of being e.g. a pedestrian. So in that case, maybe per [person]*[time travelling] would be a good measure? But maybe that's harder to get data on, since the data probably comes from people responding about how many trips they took by a given mode. So I think the authors of this study are only making inferences about the time-spent-travelling factor, based on some knowledge they might have of how long a typical trip in mode X is.