Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Splinter posted:

Unmounting the drive did not cause it to spin down, but ejecting it through Finder did. The drive can still be remounted from disk utility after ejecting. Thanks.

Looks like everything can be done from the command line using diskutil commands. Does anyone know how to go about saving the commands as scripts that can be run with 1 click?
You can make double clickable shell scripts, or AppleScript apps with "do shell script" or something, and I think Automator has it's own shell script action too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Hey is there a chance of a Mavericks release date announcement at todays event or what?

I think the event is supposed to mainly be an iPhone event, but I suppose it's still possible.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Is it a good idea to run Memtest 64 from a disc on a Core 2 Duo MBP? The machine got beastly hot (85 degrees C), but processors shut down before they start breaking poo poo, right? The disc drive is honestly acting wonky now and five hours in, Memtest did produce a single error which I'm ready to blame on the heat.

e: okay so 85 is the shutdown temp for the mobile C2D according to Overclock.net, it had to have been damned near there since it was at 75 thirty seconds later when I booted to desktop. Jesus, what the hell is the point of a memory diagnostic tool running at 100% CPU.

agarjogger fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Sep 10, 2013

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Hey is there a chance of a Mavericks release date announcement at todays event or what?

Very low, Apple tends to focus on one line at a time during these events. They will likely have a separate event for Mavericks, where they may drop the shipping date for the new Pro, since it will ostensibly require Mavericks. Geez, I didn't expect to see them advertise the Mac Pro in theaters but there it was. There'll likely be a separate event for that as well, since it's a brand new thing.

agarjogger
May 16, 2011
Doesn't the chatter say late October?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sprat Sandwich posted:

Doubtful, it's supposed to ship in late October though.

Which makes sense because the latest DP is supposed to be "mostly good, but not polished".

Sprat Sandwich
Mar 20, 2009

OK, thanks. Pretty excited for it.

Aaand I just remembered that the dates of both Lion and ML were announced during the earnings reports and one is coming up in October so it's probably going to be that?

FlashBangBob
Jul 5, 2007

BLAM! Internet Found!
There's a 50%ish chance that they'll announce a refresh on Macs and do a "Buy a Mac now and get Mavericks for free when it releases on Oct XX"

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
Yeah the Retina Macbooks are due for some Intel Haswell chips.

mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

For info, you can use Crashplan to back up one computer to another on your network, no internet needed. For free.

Crashplan owns, and I have both of my machines and all of my family's primary machines backing up to the Cloud and to my server over the internet. You can also back up to a external disk on the free version too.

The only real caveat I've found is that you can't point Crashplan's data storage to a Windows share on a Windows host. I got around that by using iSCSI, but it works great.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

Molten Llama posted:

Time Machine should work just fine, assuming you're running relatively recent versions of Mac OS X on both machines.

10.8 on both. So just create a network share on the Mac Mini and mount from the Air and Time Machine to that? What happens when the Air enters and leaves the WiFi network? Is there a clean way to mount and unmount automatically?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

:siren:

Apple's annual iPhone event is starting shortly. Please report to the dedicated event thread or YOSPOS to discuss the news.

:siren:

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

No new 10.9 news, I guess that October release date makes sense.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

10.8 on both. So just create a network share on the Mac Mini and mount from the Air and Time Machine to that? What happens when the Air enters and leaves the WiFi network? Is there a clean way to mount and unmount automatically?

Once it's set up, Mac OS X on the notebook will mount and unmount the network share automatically as needed.

Any time it can't mount the network share (like the user's out of the office) it'll just skip that backup and try again at the next backup. And 10.8 has mobile Time Machine, too, so any missed backups will live on the local machine and be accessible through the Time Machine interface until they can be synced back to the server.

So yes, create a network share on the Mini, mount it on the Air, set up Time Machine... and you're done. Magic keeps it all working from that point.

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 10, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Molten Llama posted:

Once it's set up, Mac OS X on the notebook will mount and unmount the network share automatically as needed.

Any time it can't mount the network share (like the user's out of the office) it'll just skip that backup and try again at the next backup. And 10.8 has mobile Time Machine, too, so any missed backups will live on the local machine and be accessible through the Time Machine interface until they can be synced back to the server.

So yes, create a network share on the Mini, mount it on the Air, set up Time Machine... and you're done. Magic keeps it all working from that point.

That all sounds remarkably promising. Thanks!

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I assume Boot Camp questions go in here. What's the word on HFS+ software for Windows? Last one I used I think was MacDrive and I found it finicky and limited in how I could actually interact with my files. Recommendations?

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Bootcamp itself comes with a read only HFS+ driver.
Paragon HFS plus is okay but it costs $$$.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

piratepilates posted:

Hey here's a thing that happened to me

I have an external USB harddrive that I was using to keep a bunch of files on, I had it set up to just be one big HFS+ partition that I made under OSX.

I wanted to have some space on it for Windows to use so I made a partition of free space using disk utility and then booted into Windows 8 and made an NTFS partition in the free space, I saw in disk management in Windows that it didn't overwrite the old partition or anything, as far as I could tell it's all still there.

The problem is that I noticed after booting back into OSX that OSX can only see the NTFS partition, in disk utility it shows two partitions -- the NTFS partition and another one that is the same size as the old HFS+ partition but called disk1s2 and it shows it as a broken FAT partition.

So how/can I make it so that the HFS+ partition comes back with all of whatever was on there before still there, hopefully in a way that lets me keep the NTFS partition too (but I'm not married to it)?

Got this at least somewhat figured out, in case anyone was wondering what to do in this situation:

Apparently something hosed up my partition table for the drive, so I got TestDisk and used that to analyze the disk, it gave me the sector start, end, and sizes for the partitions, for some reason it showed it as having 5 partitions but some of them overlapped and didn't seem to make sense, still had the three ones I cared about though (EFI, HFS+, NTFS).

From there it turns out TestDisk apparently doesn't work very well with doing Apple partition stuff inside the program, so I got GPT fdisk (or gdisk it's also called) and used that to write a new GUID partition map on the drive using the data I got from TestDisk.

Now the drive works fine (as far as I can tell) and I have my data back on both partitions and it's all working great I hope.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Lexicon posted:

We don't have the bandwidth allowance for Crashplan (blame Canada). I hate that goddamn java client anyway.

I was rather hoping to do all this locally, since I have a Mac just sitting here heating air anyway.

Blame Canada, eh? Get a better ISP. Teksavvy has unlimited upload.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Blame Canada, eh? Get a better ISP. Teksavvy has unlimited upload.

In my area, Teksavvy is a bit cheaper, and unlimited, but tops out at 25Mbps. I've currently got 60Mbps, but with a 150GB cap. Out of two non-excellent choices, I prefer the latter.

And I still hate the uploader.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Lexicon posted:

In my area, Teksavvy is a bit cheaper, and unlimited, but tops out at 25Mbps. I've currently got 60Mbps, but with a 150GB cap. Out of two non-excellent choices, I prefer the latter.

And I still hate the uploader.

What's the point of having 60mbps with a 150gb cap? You could burn through it in hours.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Kingnothing posted:

What's the point of having 60mbps with a 150gb cap? You could burn through it in hours.

Because the majority of us probably come nowhere near our cap every month, but speed still matters.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~
I only have 500MB/month of high speed data and I've never even come close to reaching it. I think the most data I ever used was 189MB. I'm guessing you guys stream music and watch Netflix or something right?

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

the kawaiiest posted:

I only have 500MB/month of high speed data and I've never even come close to reaching it. I think the most data I ever used was 189MB. I'm guessing you guys stream music and watch Netflix or something right?

I do both of those and still don't come anywhere near 150GB/month, even given the fact that I work from home as a software developer who's pushing ISOs back and forth often.

GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011

the kawaiiest posted:

I'm going to assume you meant 500GB per month and 189GB. Because if not, goddamn.

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!

GrizzlyCow posted:

I'm going to assume you meant 500GB per month and 189GB. Because if not, goddamn.

Pretty certain it's a phonepost, which still is confusing as to why it would be relevant in this thread.

the kawaiiest
Dec 22, 2010

Uguuuu ~

SeaborneClink posted:

Pretty certain it's a phonepost, which still is confusing as to why it would be relevant in this thread.

Yeah I'm talking about my phone, because I'm dumb and I thought I was in the iPhone thread. :saddowns:

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

This is a silly question. I'm not continually saturating my connection. When I do use it, I expect it to be fast.

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

Data caps should be illegal regardless.
Thanks CRTC.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Kingnothing posted:

Why does that matter? Do you actually have such a huge queue of poo poo to download that your connection speed is the limiting factor on how much bandwidth you use each month?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kingnothing posted:

Welcome to Canada, the CRTC sincerely hopes you enjoy your stay.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

Is there a way to use iCloud infrastructure with an arbitrary domain as the external handle? I'm trying to gradually migrate away from Gmail to a handle that I'll use for [hopefully] decades... a me@mydomain.org sort of deal. Ideally this would be my externally visible email/calendar handle, but whose backing store is iCloud.

Then when Apple bins iCloud and starts over again in a few years, my identity stays the same and I can potentially migrate between providers somewhat easily.

Is this possible?

Gism0
Mar 20, 2003

huuuh?

Martytoof posted:

Welcome to Canada, the CRTC sincerely hopes you enjoy your stay.

Same deal here in Australia, you can get an unlimited cap with a couple of ADSL ISPs but fibre and cable are capped to hell :(

I have 120mbit/2.5mbit cable with a 500GB monthly cap - After the cap runs out I'm slowed down to 256k which is basically unusable.

My mobile phone plan is even more hilarious, using LTE from my home gets me 90mbit/35mbit which is insane but not much use with my 1GB monthly allowance.

:australia: </rant>

Gism0 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Sep 12, 2013

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

^ At least you guys can somewhat lean on geography as an explanatory factor for non-ideal telecom.

In :canada:, however, highly-suboptimal consumer protections / marketplace structure is practically a national sport, regardless of the market.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Lexicon posted:

Is there a way to use iCloud infrastructure with an arbitrary domain as the external handle? I'm trying to gradually migrate away from Gmail to a handle that I'll use for [hopefully] decades... a me@mydomain.org sort of deal. Ideally this would be my externally visible email/calendar handle, but whose backing store is iCloud.

iCloud doesn't allow custom addresses, but there's nothing stopping you from forwarding that address to your iCloud address.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

10.8.5 is out. Here's the combo update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1676

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

10.8.5 is out. Here's the combo update:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1676

Finallly! I can get the MB Airs under the same SOE as other Macs

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

For those wondering if 10.8.5 really did fix 802.11ac performance:

Well at least AFP is improved :downs:

Terpfen
Jul 27, 2006
Objection!

:dukedog:
10.8.5 fixed extremely slow wifi on my late 2012 Mac Mini, particularly connecting to and file browsing my NAS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Lexicon posted:

Then when Apple bins iCloud and starts over again in a few years, my identity stays the same and I can potentially migrate between providers somewhat easily.

Is this possible?

I don't think so. You can get the same thing by buying google apps for 50 a year and using its exchange synch, or microsofts office online thing for businesses.

Hosted iCloud would be the logical next step for iWork in the cloud and such