Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Wolfsbane posted:

In typical dominions fashion, it's much more complex than that. Forts take a fraction of the resources (depends on the admin value, which depends on the fort type, which depends on nation and terrain) from each surrounding non-water province you control. That means if you need to mass produce high-resource units (you probably don't) a citadel surrounded by hilly provinces is the best choice. It's also why some people (who don't understand that forts are for mages) tell you not to put two forts next to each other.

In addition forts increase the income of the province they're in, and supply in adjacent provinces, but that's rarely a good enough reason to build one.
They do also actually double base in-province res where they're located.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

jBrereton posted:

They do also actually double base in-province res where they're located.

Yep, that was what I was thinking. Additionally I know the siphon income/resources of the neighboring provinces, depending of distance, other forts in the area, etc.

Well, now that I'm posting here I suppose I can put the latest update progress

quote:

2016-07-17 14:00:28 +0200
God & nation popup in global enchantment screen

2016-07-17 12:14:28 +0200
AI learned to cast a few more type of rituals
AI improved magic item distribution

2016-07-16 19:31:06 +0200
AI, forge less duplicate items

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Man Whore posted:

what advantage does a palisade give me? I'm still learning how to play this game and I encountered that building in my test game as pangea

Building a palisade is cheaper and faster than other types of forts, allowing you to begin making those important mages earlier. The downside being their 50 defense which means an enemy army that surprises you can likely smash the gate open in 1 turn giving you less time to stuff the fort with hosed up tiny wolves and ogres.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
My dumb series is up to part 4 now:

Dominions 4 "LP": Mo Money Mo Problems II-04

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Patch is out. You can move gems faster and the "Not going AI" strat has been nerfed by the AI being better at casting things, apparently.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Yep. Changelog

quote:

This is mostly an AI & UI patch. Most of the work has gone into improving the late game behavior of the AI. It should now be able to utilize its resources more efficiently and be more likely to get to a position where it can cast high level rituals. There has also been some improvements to the user interface, like more 'goto province' buttons on messages, shift click support in more places and more keyboard shortcuts.

General

God & nation popup in global enchantment screen
Darkvision from throne bless was counted twice
Fixed some bonuses when viewing att/def details
Goto province for scout attacked messages
Goto province for more ritual messages
ctrl+s to view saved orders (army setup screen)
Message for fort construction completed
Shift transfers 5 gems at a time
Keyboard shortcuts f/a/w/e/... to transfer gems to commander
Gem transfer box can be closed by Return as well
Shift changes PD 5 steps at a time
+/- can also be used to change PD
Ice Strike now causes slashing damage
Transformation & feeblemind/mindless fix
Strands of Arcane Power cannot be cast by mindless casters
Blind & losteye fix
Stat & cost fixes
Typos fixed

AI

Be less willing to do suicidal attacks
Recruitment improvements
Learned to cast a few more type of rituals
Forge item choice improvements
Improved magic item distribution
Dedicated ritualist for improved high level ritual casting
Empowerment tweaks
Improved preaching behavior
Spell AI no longer targets destruction/rust at units with only natural protection

Modding

Multiple same type of event effects didn't work
Removed false warning for #flagland

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Nuclearmonkee you know what to do.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Any opinions of the sum1won's sunmod? Looking at it from a general perspective (without entering in the gritty details of every change), it seems pretty good.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's considered pretty good in other communities, it's just that SA doesn't really play with balance mods.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Cedar tree/steel ovens changes are fuckin inane.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
I mean, for the most part, it's basically CBM pre-EDM-addition, which was a fairly balanced mod if somewhat different to the unmodded game. There's some national changes that are weird, but this was the only really crazy thing I found:

code:
Melqarts no longer caponly
Oh, and also you can probably gemgen it up with Fire Spirits in a long game. So yeah.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

they made it so that la pythium can pick a cult to endorse which grants them bonuses, which is cool

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
That got added to the whole mod and not just an optional extra? Cool.

Mukip
Jan 27, 2011

by Reene
the streets are extended gutters and the gutters are full of blood, and when the drains finally scab over, all the elves will drown
the accumulated filth of their hitler retard betrayals will foam up about their waists
and all the sidhe lords and tuatha will look up and shout, "save us!"
and i'll look down and whisper,
"im gay"

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
Finally had some time to continue my LP of Mo Money Mo Problems II:

Dominions 4 Multiplayer Mayhem Part 5

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

code:
 _.---------._
|     RIP     |
|  JBRERETON  |
|_____________|
|_______________|
Stay safe Jbrereton ghost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuGPvKyotIw

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

Decrepus posted:

code:
 _.---------._
|     RIP     |
|  JBRERETON  |
|_____________|
|_______________|
Stay safe Jbrereton ghost.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuGPvKyotIw

:sbahj:

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
Is this balanced okay, it's construction level 4 like the Elemental Armour

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

lol

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Enjoy posted:

Is this balanced okay, it's construction level 4 like the Elemental Armour

Should probably cost 15 gems like elemental armor.

Diabl0658
Dec 10, 2008

These are the games we play.
For that cost id say +5 elemental resistance and +2 MR, or keep resistances as they are and make it 20 gems

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Comedy option: Jack up encumbrance and defense malus to insane levels and then add the more expensive version at a higher level with more reasonable numbers.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I will make it 10 nature 5 earth because 10 and 10 isn't possible to roll naturally for the mod nation

I guess it's better than the Elemental Armour because it has poison resistance and 3 MR but it's not as tough so it's mostly for mages right

Density
Nov 12, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm never ever going to make it so knock yourself out with w/e.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

resist gear is for suckers, you know what isn't? Choking the battlefield with waves of stuff so that your opponent eventually falls asleep.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
So, last week Mo Money Mo Problems II went through some turns, but I had no time to upload new parts of my mini-LP. Today is different! And to compensate for my lazyness last week, I'm giving you two videos at once:

:siren: Dominions 4 Multiplayer Mayhem :siren:

Part 06

Part 07

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Bandar Log, Land of the Apes

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Decrepus posted:

Bandar Log, Land of the Apes

woah.rv

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

Sorry to the Soup Cream community, I melted down in game and irl yesterday and then passed out.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Indychaos is over. I won by holding down the "recruit 7g bat" button.

Bad video LP here for those who care.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Nuclearmonkee posted:

i'm shocked

shocked i say

surely nobody could have forseen this

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Nuclearmonkee posted:

This reminds me, I played so much Elite over the weekend I totally forgot to update my own bad video LP.

Episode 8

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

ChickenWing posted:

i'm shocked

shocked i say

surely nobody could have forseen this

I warned you bro I warned you about the bats I warned you bro

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

Slaan posted:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

This guy gets it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Do not NAP the bat.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010

Slaan posted:

hey remember when you attacked me and lost, but not badly enough that I was free to fight bats?

yeah

Tekma
Apr 27, 2006

I had a nice simcity going on (I was Agartha) and then I suddenly realize that the thrones are pretty insane and the whole game is going to be a mad dash for the 8 points. I also realize I'm not in a good position at all to do so because I've been just setting up a later game. I had one underwater throne prov that had two thrones. Only one of them was listed in the thrones of ascension list and was listed as 3 pointer and I didn't really know how two thrones in one prov would work so I kinda took a bet that they'd maybe have different points and I was sitting on 4-6 throne points in one prov. Apparently that's not the case and the listed point amount was just the two thrones combined or something.

Anyway I had a plan to keep it unclaimed and bet on the wonder scenario of 5-6 points in one prov. Then I set out to take throne of fortune controlled by c'tis at the time which I was certain I could take. I captured the throne fortress on the same turn the game ended. Now had my idea been right about the stacked thrones I could've possibly been very close to victory as well, but in reality I guess I was still a long way from it. Taking a third throne would've taken me several turns at least; none really bordered me nearby where I had my troops deployed.

It was kinda silly game in that way. Didn't even see any special indies of any sort and I had absolutely no scouts at all because every prov was some shaman fucker with half a point of nature magic. Other than that, apparently I did fairly well on graphs so I'm kinda satisfied as it was my third game where I actually tried to play properly instead of tri bless niefelheim. Summoning a million golems is pretty fun. Shame they didn't really see any battle.

Ramc
May 4, 2008

Bringing your thread to a screeching halt, guaranteed.

I was Vanarus. Even though I got a lot of provinces they were mostly garbage and I was struggling along to put together fundamentals while cash strapped. By the time I finally was getting rolling bats won. Weird thrones and VPs-to-win set up a rough scenario for less mobile nations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebee123
Oct 9, 2007

That's 10$ for the spinefund.

jBrereton posted:

Do not NAP the bat.

Yep the NAPs won the game, people dogpiled Asphodel, then Scleria was ineffective and moved all his troops to one province for a large number of turns for no apparent reason, noone really attacked him. If you give any decent nation 30 turns of 2-3k/turn gold income without anyone really damaging them they will be in a good place to win.

• Locked thread