Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

the_steve posted:

Speaking of dark pasts, and the way they keep alluding to poo poo in Dresden, I wonder how long it'll be before they end up revealing that the White Council orchestrated events so that Harry's dad would die and he'd end up with Justin and subsequently at the Council's mercy, some lovely "forge him into the tool we need" thing, kinda like Terry in Batman Beyond.

There's a micro fiction on Butcher's website that gestures in that direction.

Morgan Microfiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
The microfiction was nice, but it seems to point in the other direction to me. If the council is doing black bag stuff it'd be McCoy or Morgan doing it. McCoy seems super unlikely in this case, and this confirms Morgan didn't do it. Seems like it was either natural or very subtle nemesis.

feedmegin posted:

Without even reading back, I'm assuming the new title of this thread is a Anita Blake reference right?

It is, yes

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Nov 19, 2020

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

I've always been of the opinion that Justin killed Harry's dad to get him as an apprentice/enforcer. He may have done the same thing with Elaine, too.

Also, I just realized that Elaine is also starborn since she's the same age as Harry. I wonder if Justin needed one for some reason (especially since he had ties with He Who Walks Behind) and got Elaine/Harry as a spare.

Xtanstic
Nov 23, 2007

I don't remember if there was speculation of Harry's starborn status in this thread. I only read Battlegrounds a few weeks after it came out.

Am I the only one getting the impression that the book is setting up a starborn Thunderdome situation or something? If you defeat another starborn, you get their power, so you can Pac-Man yourself to more power. This explains a bunch of things various people allude to, and both explains/illustrates how stupid the WC interactions with Dresden.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Xtanstic posted:

I don't remember if there was speculation of Harry's starborn status in this thread. I only read Battlegrounds a few weeks after it came out.

Am I the only one getting the impression that the book is setting up a starborn Thunderdome situation or something? If you defeat another starborn, you get their power, so you can Pac-Man yourself to more power. This explains a bunch of things various people allude to, and both explains/illustrates how stupid the WC interactions with Dresden.

My half-assed guess is that being starborn somehow makes you a focal point for Destiny. Like, Fate just says "Yeah, I'm gonna follow this guy around.", Which obviously affects the world around them. It's why Harry, a slightly above average wizard and detective keeps getting pulled into bigger and bigger plots, it's how some scrawny mortician became a Jedi of the Cross, or a normal human mob boss became the only human signatory of the Accords. Starborn are the butterfly flapping it's wings in China to cause a tornado in Texas, a walking ripple effect. The fact that they're resistant to Outsiders is just a side effect of that.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

the_steve posted:

Speaking of dark pasts, and the way they keep alluding to poo poo in Dresden, I wonder how long it'll be before they end up revealing that the White Council orchestrated events so that Harry's dad would die and he'd end up with Justin and subsequently at the Council's mercy, some lovely "forge him into the tool we need" thing, kinda like Terry in Batman Beyond.

I don't think that will happen, and I don't remember any allusion to it.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Beachcomber posted:

I don't think that will happen, and I don't remember any allusion to it.

I meant more about how they're alluding to Starborn being some big drat world-shattering deal.
They keep playing up how super secret awesome it is, to the point that Listens-to-Wind straight up says "Dude, I do not think I have the security clearance to tell you about it."

Edit: Though now that I think about it, doesn't he have Bob back for keeps now? Why not ask him what the deal about Starborn is?

the_steve fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 20, 2020

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

OscarDiggs posted:

Okay, well I came here specifically to find books to read because I hit a drought, so if there are honest to god consequences, most of my complaints are gone.

Because aside from that issue, I enjoyed most aspects of the series. It was just that this specific thing was unignorable. So I'll be happy to give it another shot knowing about this.

Have you tried the October Daye series?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

the_steve posted:

I meant more about how they're alluding to Starborn being some big drat world-shattering deal.
They keep playing up how super secret awesome it is, to the point that Listens-to-Wind straight up says "Dude, I do not think I have the security clearance to tell you about it."

Edit: Though now that I think about it, doesn't he have Bob back for keeps now? Why not ask him what the deal about Starborn is?

They explain Starborn in the last book. Starborn are immune to the deadly static that Outsiders generate in people's minds. Basically they can look at Cthulhu and not have to roll for sanity.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Beachcomber posted:

They explain Starborn in the last book. Starborn are immune to the deadly static that Outsiders generate in people's minds. Basically they can look at Cthulhu and not have to roll for sanity.

Yeah, but I think that's more of a side effect than the main bulletpoint, otherwise they wouldn't be making such a big deal about keeping Harry in the dark since he knows that part already.
There's more to it than just what you said, and that's the part everyone is still cagey about

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Also that's bullshit given what happened when he looked at the Naagloshi with his Sight.

OscarDiggs
Jun 1, 2011

Those sure are words on pages which are given in a sequential order!

DreamingofRoses posted:

Have you tried the October Daye series?

I havn't, but you're the third person to suggest it, so I think I'm contractually obligated to give it a try at this point.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Also that's bullshit given what happened when he looked at the Naagloshi with his Sight.

Naagloshi aren't Outsiders, they're of reality

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Naagloshi aren't Outsiders, though, and whatever advantages being Starborn confers seem to be Outsider-specific.

Being immune to influence by Nemesis didn't make Corpsetaker any less a danger to Harry's mind either, and it didn't make Elaine immune to Justin's compulsion back in the day.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Rygar201 posted:

Naagloshi aren't Outsiders, they're of reality

Depends on the myths you read. Some versions say they're First People that rebelled when it was time for them to move on from Fifth World (where we are) to The Place of Melting Into One (not to be confused with Sixth World/World of the Spirits of Living Things).

Not sure which version of the myth Butcher is using, but given how powerful and reality-warping the Naagloshii was that jobbed the White Court and required Listens-to-Wind and the bond with Demonreach just to push to a stalemate, it's probably the ones I'm thinking of and not the ones used in the Iron Druid books where they were just really evil people that gained a sort of immortality through black magic.

Also, the Naagloshii didn't explicitly attempt to dominate Dresden's mind, he went with direct physical attacks.

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

The naagloshi didn't hurt Dresden's mind because it was alien or didn't belong in this reality. It hurt him because it was so overwhelmingly evil and nasty. Just like a dumpster full of liquified rat doesn't have to be from outside reality to create a stench that Makes The News.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Depends on the myths you read. Some versions say they're First People that rebelled when it was time for them to move on from Fifth World (where we are) to The Place of Melting Into One (not to be confused with Sixth World/World of the Spirits of Living Things).

Not sure which version of the myth Butcher is using, but given how powerful and reality-warping the Naagloshii was that jobbed the White Court and required Listens-to-Wind and the bond with Demonreach just to push to a stalemate, it's probably the ones I'm thinking of and not the ones used in the Iron Druid books where they were just really evil people that gained a sort of immortality through black magic.

Also, the Naagloshii didn't explicitly attempt to dominate Dresden's mind, he went with direct physical attacks.

They are the First People that rebelled. Bob tells Harry this. That still doesn't make them Outsiders though, which are very specifically beings from outside the bounds of this reality, including all parts of the nigh infinite Nevernever.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Yeah, in the mythology of the books (as distinct from actual mythology), Outsiders are a very specific sort of thing, completely separate from anything that is part of the universe. Gods, immortals, Fae, Angels, demons (both the Fallen Angel and the Nevernever critter variety), First People, vampires, ghosts, and anything and everything else are in one category, and Outsiders are in another.

That's why there's a specific Law about Outsiders that can be summed up as "don't".

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!
Cthulu isn't an Outsider, either. More like one of the Old Gods that are imprisoned in Demonreach.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cthulu isn't an Outsider, either. More like one of the Old Gods that are imprisoned in Demonreach.

Has Cthulhu even been mentioned in the Dresden books? (Honest question, I genuinely can't recall.)

It would make sense for Lovecraft's critters to not be Outsiders, honestly, but just Things From The Nevernever that sprouted due to a sufficient number of people believing in them. (I could see Lovecraft being a "This Is How You Deal With These Particularly Dangerous Monsters" White Council op the way Bram Stoker's Dracula was, but I'd rather Butcher just avoided him entirely, tbh).

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

docbeard posted:

Has Cthulhu even been mentioned in the Dresden books? (Honest question, I genuinely can't recall.)

It would make sense for Lovecraft's critters to not be Outsiders, honestly, but just Things From The Nevernever that sprouted due to a sufficient number of people believing in them. (I could see Lovecraft being a "This Is How You Deal With These Particularly Dangerous Monsters" White Council op the way Bram Stoker's Dracula was, but I'd rather Butcher just avoided him entirely, tbh).

Pretty sure they've been referenced obliquely, I think in the side story about the Oblivion War, specifically.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

The Oblivion War stuff refers to nasty beings of the Nevernever. The Old Ones of the Cthulu mythos are probably but not explicitly related. The most in depth the series gets about them is the Molly and Ramirez short story. For whatever reason google book is inaccessible on my work PC, otherwise I'd quote relevant passages. As far as I've seen, the google play sites are the only sites I can't reach from my work network. It's very strange.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

ConfusedUs posted:

Hey man, I get it. I also have no idea why someone would do a hate-watch or hate-read or hate-whatever on the regular. One offs, sure. Sometimes you just need to know more about something even if you hate that thing. But to regularly consume a form of entertainment that you loathe? I don't understand why anyone would do that instead of anything else.

I could say that it's confused us both--buh-dum-tsh!

In the end, though, it doesn't matter. People can hate-read whatever they want. It's not my time they're wasting.

It might be too late, but to try to stop this right here, I do NOT want to pile on bi-racial over this. I am personally curious about this one thing and that's all.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

docbeard posted:

If you really get into lovecraftiana, Cthulhu was *relatively* benign. He was just an alien from elsewhere in the universe who picked our ocean to crash into, basically. There are other things Cthulhu was afraid of.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Also I keep reading Dresden because this thread keeps talking about that series and I can't say "thing that happened in the book was bad" if I didn't read the book.

Okay, good enough. I mean, not really. There's a whole lot of follow-up questions I'd like to ask but I'll leave those to "your why is your own why." Thank you for answering.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

If you really get into lovecraftiana, Cthulhu was *relatively* benign. He was just an alien from elsewhere in the universe who picked our ocean to crash into, basically. There are other things Cthulhu was afraid of.

I think the large majority of the Mythos wasn't so much benign as indifferent. If your walking through a field you might cause multiple disasters by stepping on a bunch of ants. In Lovecraft, we're the ants. Except for Black people who hatch from eggs like birds or lizards*

*I assume that's not true but was Warren Ellis exaggeration of Lovecraft's racism in that one Planetary/Authority crossover. I mean the man taugh high school biology. Surely that required him to know human biology.

Everyone fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 20, 2020

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Everyone posted:

Okay, good enough. I mean, not really. There's a whole lot of follow-up questions I'd like to ask but I'll leave those to "your why is your own why." Thank you for answering.

I think the large majority of the Mythos wasn't so much benign as indifferent. If your walking through a field you might cause multiple disasters by stepping on a bunch of ants. In Lovecraft, we're the ants. Except for Black people who hatch from eggs like birds or lizards*

*I assume that's not true but was Warren Ellis exaggeration of Lovecraft's racism in that one Planetary/Authority crossover. I mean the man taugh high school biology. Surely that required him to know human biology.

No, Lovecraft was a hilariously overwrought racist that thought anybody that wasn't white was an alien/lizard/servant of the Old Ones.

I mean, he literally wrote a poem in 1912 titled "On the Creation of Niggers"

HP Lovecraft posted:

When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a friend of the family.

You'll find a lot more detail on his poo poo like this if you dig up the magazine he authored called "The Conservative" that ran from 1915 to 1923.

Or you can read this blog post by Nnedi Okorafor.

http://nnedi.blogspot.com/2011/12/lovecrafts-racism-world-fantasy-award.html

Also there are several articles around the internet with some variation of this paragraph:

quote:

One of Lovecraft’s notable tales concerns a troubled detective who comes across a “hordes of prowlers” with “sin-spitted faces . . . [who] mix their venom and perpetrate obscene terrors.” They are of “some fiendish, cryptical, and ancient pattern” beyond human understanding, but still retain a “singular suspicion of order [that] lurks beneath their squalid disorder.” With “babels of sound and filth,” they scream into the night air to answer the nearby “lapping oily waves at its grimy piers.” They live within a “maze of hybrid squalor near an ancient waterfront,” a space “leporous and cancerous with evil dragged from elder worlds.” One could be forgiven for mistaking this space as an evil abyss populated by beasts from the mythical Necromonicon. However, this vignette is from his short story, “The Horror at Red Hook.” And the accursed space is not some maleficent mountain of the The Great Old Ones, but the Brooklyn neighborhood right off the pier. The brutish monsters, conduits for a deeper evil, are the “Syrians, Spanish, Italian and Negro(s)” of New York City.

Also:

HP Lovecraft, in a letter complaining about impure neighborhoods in New York, circa 1915 posted:

I hardly wonder that my racial ideas seem bigoted to one born and reared in the vicinity of cosmopolitan New York, but you may better understand my repulsion to the Jew when I tell you that until I was fourteen years old I do not believe I ever spoke to one or saw one knowingly. My section of the city is what is known as the East Side (nothing like New York’s East Side) and it is separated from the rest of the town by the precipitous slope of College Hill, at the top of which is Brown University. In this whole locality, there are scarcely two or three families who are not of original Yankee Rhode Island stock — the place is as solidly Anglo-American as it was 200 years ago.

Over on Providence’s West Side, it is very cosmopolitan, but the East Side child might as well be in the heart of Old England so far as racial environment is concerned. Slater Avenue school was near my home, and the only non-Saxons were niggers whose parents work for our families or cart our ashes, and who consequently know their place. Imagine, then, my feeling on entering high-school and being confronted with the offscourings of Judea! True, some of the Jews were intelligent; in fact, there were some very brilliant scholars among them; but how could a child used to other children like himself find anything in common with hook-nosed, swarthy, guttural-voiced aliens? Repulsion was instinctive—I never denied the mental capacity of the Jew; in fact, I admire the race and its early history at a distance; but association with them was intolerable. Just as some otherwise normal men hate the sight or presence of a cat, so have I hated the presence of a Jew. Then, all apart from this instinctive feeling, I very soon formed a conviction that the Oriental mind is but ill adapted to mingle with the Aryan mind—that the glory of Israel is by itself. Oil and water are both desirable, but they will not mix.

And the more I study the question, the more firmly am I convinced that the one supreme race is the Teuton. Observe the condition in the British Isles. The English are wholly Teutonic, and therefore dominant. The southern Scotch and eastern Irish are also of that blood — they certainly surpass their fellows to the north and west. The Welsh, who have no Teutonic blood, are of little account. Had it not been for the Teutonic infusion at the beginning of the Dark Ages, southern Europe would have been lost. Who were these early French kings and heroes that founded French civilization? Teutons, to a man! It was the Teutonic might of Charles Martel that drove the Saracen Semite out of Gaul. Who were the Normans? Teutons of the North. It is pitiful to me to hear apostles of equity pipe out that other races can equal this foremost of all — this successor to the Roman race in power and virility.

Some Pinko Commie fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 20, 2020

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011

Yeah people who don't know better tend to assume that Lovecraft was typically racist for his day, but no he was so overwroughtly racist that he experienced social censure about it in the early 20th century. He was truly impressively lovely.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Imagine how racist someone had to be in the 20s for other people to call you out on it.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

the_steve posted:

Imagine how racist someone had to be in the 20s for other people to call you out on it.

You don't have to imagine it. You can read biracial's post and click on the link.

I did not click on the link because the quoted sections are already making my brain throw up inside my skull.

I think I'd rather go back and finish Narcissus in Chains than read any more of that. Sure, NiC is gross and kind of awful (in a not my cuppa way) but it's not gross, awful and horrifyingly racist all at the same time.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I will freely admit I started laughing my rear end off about halfway into that quote. The term "overwroughtly racist" is so accurate it should be Lovecraft's official label, put as a plaque underneath every single portrait and work he ever did. I cannot imagine how much of a troglodyte he must have been in real life. That man deserved to get noogie'd every single day for the entirety of his life.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
"AAAUUGHH what unsightly horror is this, this tube of sickly meat, ground from the muscle and sinew of some grotesquerie from some far primitive shattered shores? What foul odors doth assail my nostrils, what poisonous spices toxin my mouth with its fetid taste?!"

"Sir that's a burrito. This is a Taco Bell."

*visibly and passionately recoiling in horror* "UUUUGHHH what mongrel breed of vermin gapes its brown jaws at me! What wretched sounds issue from its unsightly maw! My ears bleed at the piercing ghastly quality of the blaring voices, my mind hath been splintered to pieces by its unholy tongue!"

"Sir you need to leave. You're banned from this location forever."

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Gologle posted:

I will freely admit I started laughing my rear end off about halfway into that quote. The term "overwroughtly racist" is so accurate it should be Lovecraft's official label, put as a plaque underneath every single portrait and work he ever did. I cannot imagine how much of a troglodyte he must have been in real life. That man deserved to get noogie'd every single day for the entirety of his life.

By a lot of accounts he was pretty well liked and regarded - at least by other writers. Of course, those other writers were either sufficiently pale or never let on that they weren't.

Gologle posted:

"AAAUUGHH what unsightly horror is this, this tube of sickly meat, ground from the muscle and sinew of some grotesquerie from some far primitive shattered shores? What foul odors doth assail my nostrils, what poisonous spices toxin my mouth with its fetid taste?!"

"Sir that's a burrito. This is a Taco Bell."

*visibly and passionately recoiling in horror* "UUUUGHHH what mongrel breed of vermin gapes its brown jaws at me! What wretched sounds issue from its unsightly maw! My ears bleed at the piercing ghastly quality of the blaring voices, my mind hath been splintered to pieces by its unholy tongue!"

"Sir you need to leave. You're banned from this location forever."

To be fair the description of Taco Bell food is not completely inaccurate...

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Lovecraft has always come across as someone more worthy of pity than of hate to me. The man was pathologically terrified of the world, though I'm of course not excusing his complete bugfuck-level racism at all.

Either way, I don't particularly need or want to read his works.

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

docbeard posted:

Lovecraft has always come across as someone more worthy of pity than of hate to me. The man was pathologically terrified of the world, though I'm of course not excusing his complete bugfuck-level racism at all.

Either way, I don't particularly need or want to read his works.

You don't. He invented or at least refined the idea of "cosmic horror" but his racism was far from the only thing about him that was "overwrought."

He's still a better writer than his spiritual protege, Brian Lumley. Jesus, does that man love exclamation points.

Really, I'd like to see somebody like Christopher Nolan take on cosmic horror. I think Nolan would bring a kind of chilly distance to it that would be extremely effective.

Not specifically Lovecraft/Cthulhu Mythos, but maybe something in the vein of In the Mouth of Madness.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Everyone posted:

Not specifically Lovecraft/Cthulhu Mythos, but maybe something in the vein of In the Mouth of Madness.

I unironically love that movie. Like a lot.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Wasn't there a script for del Toro's aborted take on At the Mountains of Madness doing the rounds a few years back.

I'd liked to have seen that.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Wasn't there a script for del Toro's aborted take on At the Mountains of Madness doing the rounds a few years back.

I'd liked to have seen that.

I've seen those floating around but not sure how legit they are. He *has* been wanting to do that movie since forever, though so they may be the real deal.

Didn't he pass on directing the Hobbit to do it and then it got pulled or something?

DreamingofRoses
Jun 27, 2013
Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

I've seen those floating around but not sure how legit they are. He *has* been wanting to do that movie since forever, though so they may be the real deal.

Didn't he pass on directing the Hobbit to do it and then it got pulled or something?

Nah, he was on the Hobbit and then got timed out of that. IIRC that was due to studio fuckery with the budget.

DreamingofRoses fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Nov 22, 2020

Gnoman
Feb 12, 2014

Come, all you fair and tender maids
Who flourish in your pri-ime
Beware, take care, keep your garden fair
Let Gnoman steal your thy-y-me
Le-et Gnoman steal your thyme

Everyone posted:

By a lot of accounts he was pretty well liked and regarded - at least by other writers. Of course, those other writers were either sufficiently pale or never let on that they weren't.

A lot of the nastier things often attributed to Lovecraft come from stories in anthologies he edited, by other authors. These are things that stand out even by his standards - you have to read past the surface to see that Innsmouth comes from fears of miscegenation, these guys sometimes treat a black guy the way Lovecraft treats Azatoth. Might be that you could find a clue in that about why they didn't mind him so much.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
I can’t believe it took me 85% of Dead Lies Dreaming to realize the protagonist’s family name isn’t Stark-ey, it’s Star-Key.