Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Lethemonster posted:

I'm trying to find ~10 or so games that have female main characters that don't aren't sexist. Best I've got so far are Tomb Raider (2013) and Mirror's Edge but I'm trying to find some with more writing in than Mirror's Edge. Maybe the new Alien: Isolation by the sounds of it.

Apart from those I cannot find anything so I was hoping some goons could swoop in and recommend me a few gems I won't have heard of. :(

A couple quickly come to mind:

Last of Us
Crypt of the Necrodancer (not much writing)
Lichdom
Mass Effect
Gone Home

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Lethemonster posted:

I'm trying to find ~10 or so games that have female main characters that don't aren't sexist. Best I've got so far are Tomb Raider (2013) and Mirror's Edge but I'm trying to find some with more writing in than Mirror's Edge. Maybe the new Alien: Isolation by the sounds of it.

Apart from those I cannot find anything so I was hoping some goons could swoop in and recommend me a few gems I won't have heard of. :(

Haven't played it yet but walking dead S2?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

Presumably you're talking about games with unchangeable protagonists and not RPG's like Mass Effect or whatever, right?

Edit: If so, Child of Light, Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky, Transistor are the ones that come immediately to mind.

Double Edit: Broken Age (shares top billing with a young man, at least), The Walking Dead Season 2 (and Season 1 to a certain extent, really, even though you never actually control her). A number of adventure games I could probably name if I was looking at their name. Remember Me.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Oct 9, 2014

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Lethemonster posted:

The Longest Journey and sequel (soon to be sequels), Syberia, Kyrandia 2 (on GOG) - great adventure games

Transistor and Child of Light of the recent ones.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

Some older ones: Beyond Good and Evil, No One Lives Forever 1 and 2.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

From the top of my head:
The Longest Journey/Dreamfall/Dreamfall Chapters (probably)
Beyond Good and Evil
Hatoful Boyfriend
Long Live the Queen, sorta
Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky
Portal
The Walking Dead season 2

A lot of RPGs where you can pick your gender too, if those count.

e: Recettear
e2: Blackwell series

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Lethemonster posted:

Divinity: OS, Racettear, Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble!*, Portal 1&2, Trine 1&2, maybe Yume Nikki?

*: Maybe a bit sexist.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Lethemonster posted:

Beyond Good & Evil and Velocity 2X are good as hell.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
I had completely forgotten about Portal 1 + 2. GlaDOS was amazing. No can do on metroid - I need games with more talky and her most plot/scripted game was awful. I'm doing some spec pieces for game stories featuring female leads so looking for ones with active characterization in rather than just 'avatar is female'. Basically doing research on currently exists across the medium right now.

Bioshock Infinite was awful for me. I finished it unaware of all the praise it had gotten and when I came across opinions of it I really thought I'd gone mental with how little I found positive about the experience; plot, characters, gameplay. Remember Me I have on ps3 thanks to PS+. I've got Uncharted on the list too because although she's a secondary character I thought Elena was good.

Thanks for suggestions peeps. I have been looking for a couple of hours and it's becoming a bit depressing.

Awesome! posted:

the player character is female too fwiw

I know but she's also a silent (mostly) invisible protagonist so not much good. Whereas GlaDOS is evil and funny as hell without falling into the 'women-baddy must be sexy and seduce player' that most others do. Unless you err... really have a thing for evil-AI robots designed by Apple.

Edit: Thank you goons you have saved me from trawling through piles of lovely games with balloon-titty anime avatars masquerading as female lead games.

Edit 2:

Kibayasu posted:

Steam Tags might actually come in handy here. Not exactly guaranteed to not have some questionable bits, will most likely include games with just a choice of avatar, and could be missing some but here's all the games on Steam that have been tagged with "Female Protagonist" http://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=7208&page=1

I couldn't get tags to work in steam and I did not occur to me at all to try the browser version. Thanks!

Lethemonster fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 9, 2014

funakupo
May 9, 2006

the ultimate longterm partner
Oven Wrangler

fatherboxx posted:

The Longest Journey and sequel (soon to be sequels), Syberia, Kyrandia 2 (on GOG) - great adventure games

Transistor and Child of Light of the recent ones.

Along same lines as those: we were just talking Contrast on sale, which also fits the ask. There also is Lilly Looking Through, Cognition, Legend of Korra (soon), Recettear, Journal.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Lethemonster posted:

I had completely forgotten about Portal 1 + 2. GlaDOS was amazing.

the player character is female too fwiw

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

I had completely forgotten about Portal 1 + 2. GlaDOS was amazing. No can do on metroid - I need games with more talky and her most plot/scripted game was awful. I'm doing some spec pieces for game stories featuring female leads so looking for ones with active characterization in rather than just 'avatar is female'. Basically doing research on currently exists across the medium right now.

Bioshock Infinite was awful for me. I finished it unaware of all the praise it had gotten and when I came across opinions of it I really thought I'd gone mental with how little I found positive about the experience; plot, characters, gameplay. Remember Me I have on ps3 thanks to PS+. I've got Uncharted on the list too because although she's a secondary character I thought Elena was good.

Thanks for suggestions peeps. I have been looking for a couple of hours and it's becoming a bit depressing.

Steam Tags might actually come in handy here. Not exactly guaranteed to not have some questionable bits, will most likely include games with just a choice of avatar, and could be missing some but here's all the games on Steam that have been tagged with "Female Protagonist" http://store.steampowered.com/search/?tags=7208&page=1

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Forgot Syberia.
I haven't played that Assassin's Creed game with a female lead but it might be worth checking out.
KOTOR 2's main character is canonically female I believe.
Aquaria
L4D 1 and 2, though there's only one woman main character and 3 men main characters in each game.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Lance Streetman posted:

The real reason is apparently because when old programs install, they first search for "Windows 9" and then "Windows 95" or "Windows 98."

Programming.

lovely Java programmers that use osName.startswith() and not version.startswith() deserve to get burned.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lethemonster posted:

I know but she's also a silent (mostly) invisible protagonist so not much good. Whereas GlaDOS is evil and funny as hell without falling into the 'women-baddy must be sexy and seduce player' that most others do. Unless you err... really have a thing for evil-AI robots designed by Apple.

System Shock 2 is a good example of this imo, Shodan is a lot like Glados is some ways, but replace funny with spooky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8wjInQTZKk

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Propaganda Hour posted:

lovely Java programmers that use osName.startswith() and not version.startswith() deserve to get burned.

To be fair, it should have been a safe assumption that the code get replaced within 20 years.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Does Okami count?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

peter gabriel posted:

System Shock 2 is a good example of this imo, Shodan is a lot like Glados is some ways, but replace funny with spooky

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8wjInQTZKk

Also this.

Jokymi
Jan 31, 2003

Sweet Sassy Molassy

Eruonen posted:

I haven't played that Assassin's Creed game with a female lead but it might be worth checking out.
Aveline's character was the best part of Liberation, and it'll be a shame if the only appearance she makes ever in the series is in a watered down side-game. It would be pretty neat if she showed up in Unity. The timeline would fit, but I'm not holding out hope.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Lethemonster posted:

Syberia

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Sticking with just female main protagonists here's a few that haven't been brought up:

JULIA: Among The Stars
Gray Matter
The Hate Games

Also keep an eye on Never Alone.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

Lance Streetman posted:

The real reason is apparently because when old programs install, they first search for "Windows 9" and then "Windows 95" or "Windows 98."

Programming.

Hahaha that's very plausible and funny.

Dave Angel
Sep 8, 2004

There's also the Blackwell adventure game series. Maybe also Eternal Darkness (although there's a bnunch of characters you play in that) and the Fatal Frame games (haven't played enough to judge on the sexism part). Ooh, also Urban Chaos.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Hannibal Smith posted:

Aveline's character was the best part of Liberation, and it'll be a shame if the only appearance she makes ever in the series is in a watered down side-game. It would be pretty neat if she showed up in Unity. The timeline would fit, but I'm not holding out hope.

Seriously, Aveline is a badass lady, she's an assassin with a bullwhip and a dart shooting parasol, and she's in one of the lower tier games in the franchise. I got excited about her campaign in Black Flag, but it's like three maps entirely on rails with no freedom. The poor girl can't catch a break.

iuvian
Dec 27, 2003
darwin'd

Lethemonster posted:

Edit: Thank you goons you have saved me from trawling through piles of lovely games with balloon-titty anime avatars masquerading as female lead games.

LOL

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Lethemonster posted:

It may be a bit old, but that list without Beyond Good & Evil is automatically invalid :colbert:

(e: what the gently caress how did I miss that)

Pierzak fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Oct 9, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

Lance Streetman posted:

Programming.

If that was true wouldn't they be able to fix it by calling it Windows Nine?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I think the state of games with female leads in them is pretty good - sure you have to look past AAA games, but there's whole genres you can only find by doing that nowadays.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Justin_Brett posted:

I think the state of games with female leads in them is pretty good - sure you have to look past AAA games, but there's whole genres you can only find by doing that nowadays.
Adventure games have always been the go to genre for them for a long time really.

a7m2
Jul 9, 2012

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That looks bad though.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Just be glad they didn't call it Windows One.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

When it gets to Windows N lovely programming assumes it to be Windows NT :v:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I imagine marketing shot that idea down. When you're marketing a product that you want lots of people to use, you want something easy to type in, read, and recognize. So the fewer characters there are, and the more easily identifiable they are, the better. It's 2 letters vs. 4 numbers, and while it might not seem like a big difference, it matters a whole lot towards long-term visibility. The initial confusion is probably a small price to pay for a better-looking name overall.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Lethemonster posted:

A few I haven't seen mentioned.

Transistor (kind of odd, but it's a female protagonist)
Beast Boxing Turbo (not THE most talky, but still...)
Aquaria
Septerra Core

And if you're willing to go outside of Steam? Iji immediately springs to mind for me.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Also in the female protagonist category:
- Recettear
- Winter Voices
- Shelter (mama badger)
- To The Moon (shared with a male character)
- Blade Kitten :v:

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Oct 9, 2014

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014
Dota 2

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

Just be grateful it's not going to be Windows One.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Can't believe that joke got made twice.

Oh wait I can

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Lethemonster posted:

Gray Matter
as mentioned, the Blackwell Series
Resonance (one of the four protagonists is female, and she's the 2nd most important to the story)
Cloudbuilt
Walking Dead Season 2
Eldritch (to be fair, there's no story to it)
Giana Sisters (same as Eldritch)
Remember Me mostly avoids it, surprisingly
Sanctum 1 + 2
Defenders Quest
Super House of Dead Ninjas
Trine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Acquire Currency! posted:

Can't believe that joke got made twice.

Oh wait I can
What should the name of the new Windows be? It wouldn't be right to call it Windows 9. Windows One? But unfortunately, Windows 1 has been done. That new Windows is Windows 10.

That's from their media briefing

• Locked thread