Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karatela
Sep 11, 2001

Clickzorz!!!

Grimey Drawer

Angry Salami posted:

Maasai are white now?

You think a Nazi would even know who the Maasai are, let alone any other facts about them? :shobon:

I did say it was insanely stupid. Mere factual reality has no bearing on what makes for "good" racist dogwhistling, here, and I can assure you they sure don't get up on stage and guzzle milk out the carton to promote strong and healthy bones.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
All right, well, here's an idea - if some nazis start saying that a totally ordinary thing like milk and shoes and the "ok" gesture represent their movement, we say that no, it doesn't, and kind of just proceed as normal.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ignoring stuff and hoping it goes away usually works yeah.

Definitely doesn't make things worse.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
Chalk Chuck up for the milk war, then.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Angry Salami posted:

Maasai are white now?

Nazis are really loving stupid. Hence the Nazism.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

CharlestheHammer posted:

Ignoring stuff and hoping it goes away usually works yeah.

Definitely doesn't make things worse.

Really? "If we drink milk, the Nazis win" is the hill you're gonna die on?

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

The awful graphs thread is over here.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I like milk and refuse to give it up!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Nobody is actually going to see drinking milk by itself as a sign that you're a Nazi, holy poo poo guys.

But if you had a Got Milk ad where the guy was a dude in a white polo shirt, khakis, and had an undercut, you'd sure as hell trigger some bad thoughts because Charlottesville has turned that into the new Neo-Nazi uniform. Just like how Doc Martens with red laces aren't exclusively worn by Neo-Nazis, but they have a really bad connotation that you really shouldn't be advertising with. Saying "That's dumb, we should just ignore that" doesn't make it not have that connotation.

chitoryu12 has a new favorite as of 14:43 on Dec 4, 2017

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

NorgLyle posted:

The awful graphs thread is over here.

Yes. Most Indo-European cultures are lactose tolerant because the Proto-Indo-European culture around the black sea were nomads who herded cows. The Maasai in Africa used as a counter-example earlier are also nomads who herd cows. Strangely Lactose tolerance is most present in cultures where milk is an important part of the traditional diet.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

Yes. Most Indo-European cultures are lactose tolerant because the Proto-Indo-European culture around the black sea were nomads who herded cows. The Maasai in Africa used as a counter-example earlier are also nomads who herd cows. Strangely Lactose tolerance is most present in cultures where milk is an important part of the traditional diet.

Bless my cow lovin' Northwestern European ancestors.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Karatela posted:

Yeah, because according to them only white people can digest milk (because asians and black people are all lactose intolerant, apparently?), so its a symbol of being white (which is obviously stupid as hell).

Plus milk is white, so double word score.

I thought it was to do with whole milk making you manly and soy milk making you a leftist bitch-titted soy boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3-cHMo1W8A

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

No, the soy thing is new. This is despite some of these people selling products containing soy.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Randaconda posted:

Bless my cow lovin' Northwestern European ancestors.

Bless them [eats insane amounts of cheese during every meal]

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

Saying "That's dumb, we should just ignore that" doesn't make it not have that connotation.
Counterpoint: If you have to link people to hate group glossaries and lunatic youtube channels to show that a connection exists, because no one not already intimately acquainted with these subcultures is aware of it, then it's not actually a connotation of any consequence to begin with.

Maybe if you layer on a bunch of stuff at once, but the ad that started this little tangent was just a pair of shoes with primary-color laces. I think the suggestion that that's any sort of troubling imagery is kinda nutty, about like if it were suggested that a milk ad that showed somebody drinking milk was somehow nazi-tainted because of these other lunatics.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
It's an inverse Confederate Flag situation. "No I'm not racist, I'm just paying tribute to soldiers who fought for states' rights." "Okay, but everyone else sees it as a symbol of racism, so congrats on looking like a racist." Connotations meaningfully exist to whatever extent the general population are aware of them.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

red laces are an old old old old old signifier. Milk is brand new. I can excuse a dairy not being aware of the fash milk love a LOT more easily than I can Docs “not being aware” of the nazi skinhead laces thing.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

oldpainless posted:

I like milk and refuse to give it up!

:same:

I like milk and milk products a whole lot, and really hope that they are not fully co-opted by fascists and whatnot so I don't have to stop eating them.

e: eating milk products, not eating fascists.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I think they're gonna have a hard time claiming a major food group. News outlets are just doing what they do and being sensational.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
I don't think it really matters if somebody at Doc Martens knows about it - they're in more of a position to, and the point is more that it isn't any kind of broad social thing. And they sell the shoes, it's not like they're using some external symbolism here.

I sorta feel like maybe the awareness is only half the issue, too. Like even if everybody knew about this milk thing, I still wouldn't take it seriously.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Doc milkens

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
I only drink Nazi free milk.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Panfilo posted:

I only drink Nazi free milk.

No homo milk.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Sir Lemming posted:

Really? "If we drink milk, the Nazis win" is the hill you're gonna die on?

Why would I die in a battle I won.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Why would I die in a battle I won.

Because your weak, milkless bones will crumble under the weight of your hubris.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

red laces are an old old old old old signifier. Milk is brand new. I can excuse a dairy not being aware of the fash milk love a LOT more easily than I can Docs “not being aware” of the nazi skinhead laces thing.

Plus this Milk poo poo is never gonna stick. You can't take a thing that most people (in North America anyway) drink and say "this is the official beverage of Nazis now, deal with it" and expect that anybody anywhere is gonna start recognizing it. Plus I'm white as all hell and have been lactose intolerant my whole life, including infancy.

There's no way Docs isn't aware of the red laces thing, though. You can't blame a whole company for letting something like that slip through; I'd think that hopefully they don't dwell on it to an insane degree that it would be excusable for whoever signed off on this to not notice. I'd expect this ad to have been pulled by now, though, like as soon as the first person reminded them over Twitter.
Though again, it's not a thing I'd expect the average person on the street to be aware of. I, however, have seen "Green Room" so I will probably permanently associate red laces with some hosed up poo poo.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assume it's because the marketing people are unlikely to be skinheads themselves

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

Waffleman_ posted:

No, the soy thing is new. This is despite some of these people selling products containing soy.

it was something that I heard about from people taking protein powder before. since some is derived from soy they would talk about how it would lead to bitch tits because of its phytoestrogen. i asked if they knew what phyto meant.

i hope this means that the same douchebags stop eating fruit because they are plants ovaries and die of scurvy

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Phlegmish posted:

I assume it's because the marketing people are unlikely to be skinheads themselves
I would expect them to have a "marketing bible" of sorts, internally, that would include a mention or two of being wary about using red laces in advertising.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003

poly and open-minded posted:

it was something that I heard about from people taking protein powder before. since some is derived from soy they would talk about how it would lead to bitch tits because of its phytoestrogen. i asked if they knew what phyto meant.
I mean as far as I know the specific effects being talked about are nonsense, but it's not because phytoestrogens come from plants. They're called that because they're compounds originating in plants that are structurally similar enough to estrogen that they can bind to mammalian estrogen receptors.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

I was under the impression that Neo-Nazis co-opted milk mainly because they need it to wash pepper-spray out of their eyes. It's not so much "Got Milk?" as "I need milk! My eyes are burning!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Indolent Bastard posted:

I thought it was to do with whole milk making you manly and soy milk making you a leftist bitch-titted soy boy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3-cHMo1W8A

This is the only thing I know about “soyboy”.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Platystemon posted:

This is the only thing I know about “soyboy”.

Holy poo poo, I love the major self-own.

You can't tell me the boss and co-worker didn't know exactly what it was, and were deliberately making GBS threads on this amazing anon redpiller

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Phlegmish posted:

It is, however, their job to make sure that their advertisements/marketing don't inadvertently hit anything like accidentally appearing to be sympathetic to Nazis.

Marketing people's failure to do that is about 50% of the content of this thread.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

DACK FAYDEN posted:

I would expect them to have a "marketing bible" of sorts, internally, that would include a mention or two of being wary about using red laces in advertising.

You'd think. Then you see all of the various advertising campaigns that explicitly state white is better than black and even use people in their analogy.

So maybe there is a marketing bible, but it's surprisingly racist?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Krispy Wafer posted:

You'd think. Then you see all of the various advertising campaigns that explicitly state white is better than black and even use people in their analogy.

So maybe there is a marketing bible, but it's surprisingly racist?

Also remember in the 90's, Reebock relased a women's running shoe called Incubus.

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002
This reminded me of a thing that happened with a gun company years ago.

A gun company called Smith Enterprises decided it needed a logo for some merchandise. Obviously they needed a really cool logo, and what is cooler than a skull and crossbones? Here's what they used:

For anyone not aware, that's kind of a specific 'skull and crossbones' with a unique German name and history.

Since (most) gun people aren't actually fond of Nazis, they got called on it pretty much right away. They first claimed that it was merely coincidental and they totally couldn't see the resemblance, which might have worked had it been an original drawing of a normal skull and crossbones that was looking to the side instead of dead on, but their logo was pretty much a 1:1 reproduction of the original and that didn't really fly. They PROBABLY could have gotten away with a statement that they were in a hurry and they didn't make the connection, we're sorry, it was an Intern and so on. Instead, they tried suing some guy that was really vocal about it (Well, maybe. They might have been upset with his postings about ridiculous lead times instead) and did various things that people who almost but not quite understand the internet do. The Totenkopf is off their main webpage, but is still on their Facebook page. The people that tried to defend them largely got screamed down by everyone else, and so on.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Atmus posted:

This reminded me of a thing that happened with a gun company years ago.

A gun company called Smith Enterprises decided it needed a logo for some merchandise. Obviously they needed a really cool logo, and what is cooler than a skull and crossbones? Here's what they used:

For anyone not aware, that's kind of a specific 'skull and crossbones' with a unique German name and history.

Since (most) gun people aren't actually fond of Nazis, they got called on it pretty much right away. They first claimed that it was merely coincidental and they totally couldn't see the resemblance, which might have worked had it been an original drawing of a normal skull and crossbones that was looking to the side instead of dead on, but their logo was pretty much a 1:1 reproduction of the original and that didn't really fly. They PROBABLY could have gotten away with a statement that they were in a hurry and they didn't make the connection, we're sorry, it was an Intern and so on. Instead, they tried suing some guy that was really vocal about it (Well, maybe. They might have been upset with his postings about ridiculous lead times instead) and did various things that people who almost but not quite understand the internet do. The Totenkopf is off their main webpage, but is still on their Facebook page. The people that tried to defend them largely got screamed down by everyone else, and so on.

Jesus. I don't know poo poo about Nazi symbols or anything, and probably wouldn't think much of this if I saw it in the wild, so had to look this up. Even the cracks in the skull are exactly the same. How is anybody even remotely defending this after knowing?

Atmus
Mar 8, 2002

SpacePig posted:

Jesus. I don't know poo poo about Nazi symbols or anything, and probably wouldn't think much of this if I saw it in the wild, so had to look this up. Even the cracks in the skull are exactly the same. How is anybody even remotely defending this after knowing?

I assume they cling to the chance that since it's technically possible that it's all coincidental, that maybe they will get away with that being the narrative. Unfortunately for them, that's not how people work, especially when you double down on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

US PALM, a now closed maker of magazines and tactical gear with an emphasis on the AK platform, also had a logo that was uncomfortably similar to the Afrika Korps.