Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Oh nice! That's a pretty huge breakthrough

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

thotsky posted:

M1s still have a ton of compatability issues. I got one, but have to do all my builds remote.

A lot of the issues I’ve encountered so far have to do with c++ hard coded paths and home brew placing things in /opt instead of wherever it was before

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Let's say there's no dev work for you to do (because the company is disorganized).

Do you accept work outside your role? Like manual testing or business paperwork.?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Ither posted:

Let's say there's no dev work for you to do (because the company is disorganized).

Do you accept work outside your role? Like manual testing or business paperwork.?

No time for that when you need to update a resume and take some calls.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Ither posted:

Do you want to transition into a role doing those things? Is this a small company where you are personally invested in and financially well compensated for its well being?

If the answer to both of those is "no" you should be polishing your resume as mentioned above

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.
Or at least be doing little side projects to improve the skills you would like to add when you polish your resume and take some calls.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ither posted:

No way! Time to make up some work doing things that you personally find interesting. Add them to your resume as ambitious accomplishments that you pulled off in addition to your main duties because of your entrepreneurial attitude to work.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Ither posted:

You can't address tech debt, or do some dev research tasks, or anything of that sort?

But, worst comes to worst, I agree that it's probably not a bad time to sharpen some resume-padding skills.

Dotcom656
Apr 7, 2007
I WILL TAKE BETTER PICTURES OF MY DRAWINGS BEFORE POSTING THEM

Ither posted:

Im in this same boat and its very discouraging. That and Ive come to the realization that only working with bash and perl scripts is not where I want to be and Im probably doing myself more harm by staying here.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Never ever let anyone find out you don't have any work to do.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010

Ither posted:

It's the perfect time to clean up that one poorly designed system that's bothered you whenever you have to touch it.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

It's a new job; It's my third week.

I say I'm free for Dev work on the standup and get crickets.

ploots
Mar 19, 2010
oh, then pair with someone who seems like they're smart or working on something interesting

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ither posted:

I've had this job as well.

It stopped when I just self assigned anything from the board and got cracking. Downsides: You have to find tickets yourself, upside: You get to chose only the tastiest morsels

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ither posted:

Do you not have an SEM or a buddy you were assigned when you started?

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
https://nationalpost.com/news/world...0166b652a7/amp/

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Ither posted:

I had a job that gave me no work for ~6 months. So I created work by rebuilding a bunch of their trashy web applications and automating their build pipeline. It impressed enough people that I got put in for a team lead role which was a big deal because I'd pretty much doubled my salary over ~2.5 years. Through all that I learned enough web development and devops to get a pretty nice job somewhere else. Ultimately it lead to doubling my salary again after another ~5 years.

That was all early in my career, but I like to think being proactive really helped me learn software dev to get to better positions. Being remote nowadays with nothing to do? I'd maybe be tempted to get a second job, but honestly that just sounds like an extra amount of unnecessary stress trying to juggle two jobs (unless one is side contract type work). After writing all this, it seems like maybe it's up to you, how you judge your position in your career, and what your career goals are.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

champagne posting posted:

I've had this job as well.

It stopped when I just self assigned anything from the board and got cracking. Downsides: You have to find tickets yourself, upside: You get to chose only the tastiest morsels

I don't think we have a ticket board. Or if there is one, no has told me about it. We certainly don't look at one during standup.

Aramoro posted:

Do you not have an SEM or a buddy you were assigned when you started?

I ask him for stuff to do as well, but he just says review the code.

If I had to go into the office this would bother me, but since it's 100% remote, I guess I don't really mind. More video game time.

Ither fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Mar 31, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Ither posted:

I don't think we have a ticket board. Or if there is one, no has told me about it. We certainly don't look at one during standup.

Time to make it everybody’s problem

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Ither posted:

How do you track what you’re doing?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Aramoro posted:

How do you track what you’re doing?

Whaddaya think Slack is for?

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

God don’t get me started on slack. My biggest client loves slack and uses it to the exclusion of any other platform. If I email someone, they respond in slack. Important files are posted and pinned in a channel. Projects live and die by thread participation.

Except they have a 30 day retention policy because Legal Said So, and all of my projects with them are 3+ months. So every important document they send me eventually gets deleted, completely destroying any usefulness the platform might have for project management. I just take everything they post (including the messages they so desperately want deleted after 30 days) and put them in either my Dropbox or Google Drive so I can actually have records of LITERALLY ANYTHING about a project, because even though the organization apparently only has a one month attention span, they constantly ask me, “oh hey do you still have that file I posted on slack back in May 2018?”

Yes, I do, and I will charge my hourly rate if you want it.

Also forget having slack open while trying to code anything. Constant pings and a bouncing dock icon, ugh…

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Awhile ago I turned off all notifications for Slack except a badge for DM’s/tags. Now whenever I finish a period of focus I check it. My team knows that if it’s an actual emergency they can text me, otherwise there can be up to a 2 hour delay to get a response. Life is much sweeter.

For my complaint, I work for a non-profit and I have this volunteer who helps run my VDP. I brought him into our Slack and he was like “this is trash, I’ll only be available over Discord.”

So now I have this extra app I have to remember to check, for messages from this one person who sometimes messages me multiple times in a day, and sometimes once in a month. But I can’t really do anything about it because he’s a volunteer. And just lol at Discord being less trash than Slack. I’m not saying it’s actually worse, but it sure ain’t better.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
I have to make a point to set up my work hours on Slack and tweak the notifications for channels pretty strictly. Just because you're up working at 11PM on a Sunday night doesn't mean it has to be my problem :argh:

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Protocol7 posted:

I have to make a point to set up my work hours on Slack and tweak the notifications for channels pretty strictly. Just because you're up working at 11PM on a Sunday night doesn't mean it has to be my problem :argh:

On the other hand I've have west coast people tell me not to message them before a certain time and I just don't understand why people on distributed teams don't get their notification/work hours sorted out on slack.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

kedo posted:

God don’t get me started on slack. My biggest client loves slack and uses it to the exclusion of any other platform. If I email someone, they respond in slack. Important files are posted and pinned in a channel. Projects live and die by thread participation.

Except they have a 30 day retention policy because Legal Said So, and all of my projects with them are 3+ months. So every important document they send me eventually gets deleted, completely destroying any usefulness the platform might have for project management. I just take everything they post (including the messages they so desperately want deleted after 30 days) and put them in either my Dropbox or Google Drive so I can actually have records of LITERALLY ANYTHING about a project, because even though the organization apparently only has a one month attention span, they constantly ask me, “oh hey do you still have that file I posted on slack back in May 2018?”

Yes, I do, and I will charge my hourly rate if you want it.

Also forget having slack open while trying to code anything. Constant pings and a bouncing dock icon, ugh…

My company's slack has like 72h retention on private messages. This has not stopped people from using private messages.

Slack is the worst.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
I mean that sounds a lot less like a slack problem and a lot more like a "your company" problem

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Agreed. I think Slack is pretty great in general. Set up your notifications correctly and set expectation with your team and colleagues. You don't need to respond to things right away.

Short retention policies do suck, but in general I think Slack is pretty nice for quick questions, brainstorming, or just general daily stuff.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Blinkz0rz posted:

I mean that sounds a lot less like a slack problem and a lot more like a "your company" problem

Legal departments get really squirrelly about it.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS
Oh sure but that's not a tool problem it's a policy problem

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Blinkz0rz posted:

Oh sure but that's not a tool problem it's a policy problem
Would you rather that security accepted people indefinitely attaching sensitive documents to random threads to be stumbled upon by an intern three years later?

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty
Retention policies are about the fact that if you have a retention policy, you have never "destroyed evidence" that might be relevant to a legal matter if it was destroyed due to your retention policy.

WTF is your company doing if retaining DMs for more than 72 hours is a worse problem than shredding them. Is today's chat message next week's lawsuit? I typically see retention policies measured in months, at which point you would probably have enough trouble finding the relevant message that it doesn't really matter.

YanniRotten
Apr 3, 2010

We're so pretty,
oh so pretty

Sagacity posted:

Would you rather that security accepted people indefinitely attaching sensitive documents to random threads to be stumbled upon by an intern three years later?

You are not using the correct tools to store and manage access to documents. "Attached a file to a Slack message" is never it.

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

YanniRotten posted:

You are not using the correct tools to store and manage access to documents. "Attached a file to a Slack message" is never it.
My point exactly. No security policy, Draconian or lax, is going to fix that.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

wilderthanmild posted:

On the other hand I've have west coast people tell me not to message them before a certain time and I just don't understand why people on distributed teams don't get their notification/work hours sorted out on slack.

Most of my team is West coast, and I'm East, and my boss and I have an agreement that we can feel free to Slack whenever on our local times, but there's no expectation of a response outside our team agreement's core hours.

Sometimes, when I'm cranking work early ET, I might fire a message if I think of something I need, but I intent it to be read whenever he gets his coffee, has his morning poo poo, and gets settled, not immediately. He'll often respond earlier than I'd think reasonable, but that's not my problem.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Slack administrators can enable dnd outside working hours by default and if it's not on your employer hates you.

I just don't have slack notifications enabled at all and thankfully it's never been an issue.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

My partner has dnd always turned on so he constantly misses slack messages. It is annoying when he misses stuff that is time critical but then I have to remind myself that phones still exist with the ability to call people and he is doing it right.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Slack should be used in addition to email, not as a replacement for email. My company doesn't use email at all and it's really annoying.

Also a framework I've gotten into recently has their whole community on discord and it's similarly annoying. There's no searchable archive of question and answer threads, just a constant hum of chatter. Asking a question? Better hope someone who knows the answer is online right now or you're out of luck.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If we're bitching about Slack can I bitch about how useless Slackbot is? I don't need separate notifications that someone just joined and posted their first message in a channel we're both in :argh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hate Slackbot