Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
In the 22nd century, some academic is going to write a Sleepwalkers-style history book about the peculiar social and political circumstances that led to supposedly sensible national and international bodies carrying out bizarre rituals such as holding peace conferences that one of the two warring parties was barred from.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dk2m
May 6, 2009

Z the IVth posted:

How does this even work against a self-sufficient, nuclear armed nation state that can just tell the debt collectors to go gently caress themselves?

imo, future historians will say Feb 22, 2022 is when the hegemony finally fell because sanctions had the reverse effect as intended. any country can and should do that because the firepower to back up the U.S. has been culled to make number go up. if the west seizes assets, it’ll just be another lever that we pull to kill our own hegemonic system that’s worked so well for us

everything since then is just waiting to see if the inheritors of empire even realize what they’ve done yet, or if they’re still going to operate like the old rules are in place. because the rest of the world, sans the European vassal states, has already realized it and are making their own moves

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

happy Easter yall

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Starsfan posted:

I think the point must be as simple as trying to keep Ukraine in the news

I saw this headline and thought of your post:allears:

Ukraine unveils AI-generated foreign ministry spokesperson
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/article/2024/may/03/ukraine-ai-foreign-ministry-spokesperson

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Pistol_Pete posted:

In the 22nd century, some academic is going to write a Sleepwalkers-style history book about the peculiar social and political circumstances that led to supposedly sensible national and international bodies carrying out bizarre rituals such as holding peace conferences that one of the two warring parties was barred from.

It will be written in Chinese, the lingua franca of global trade and academics

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

There's some merit the Buffaloes being more useful in Eastern Europe due to the difference in climate and average altitude of engagements

It's similar to the Soviets making great use of the Warhawk fighter despite it being outclassed in the Pacific

The p-40 wasn't outclassed, it was outflown. They took a fast boom and zoom high speed fighter, and got in turn fights with slower and lighter aircraft.

BrotherJayne has issued a correction as of 09:01 on May 7, 2024

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Tankies together strong

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Weka posted:

that's just cultural appropriation

I'm pretty sure it's hard to name a culture or nationality that doesn't have pirates, kinda their whole thing

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

Tankies together strong

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I'm pretty sure it's hard to name a culture or nationality that doesn't have pirates, kinda their whole thing

I don't think Francis Drake, or most pirates, have anything to do with black flags

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Lin-Manuel Turtle posted:

Tankies together strong

Bot 02
Apr 2, 2010

Dude... Did my plushie just talk?

Weka posted:

I don't think Francis Drake, or most pirates, have anything to do with black flags

Quit being a party pooper, pirates are fun and the jolly roger is cool

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

dk2m posted:

imo, future historians will say Feb 22, 2022 is when the hegemony finally fell because sanctions had the reverse effect as intended. any country can and should do that because the firepower to back up the U.S. has been culled to make number go up. if the west seizes assets, it’ll just be another lever that we pull to kill our own hegemonic system that’s worked so well for us

everything since then is just waiting to see if the inheritors of empire even realize what they’ve done yet, or if they’re still going to operate like the old rules are in place. because the rest of the world, sans the European vassal states, has already realized it and are making their own moves

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

gah

lumpentroll
Mar 4, 2020

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Future historians will communicate solely through memes.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Heyo, I am a little bit late, but this is a kind thanks for not posting hateful, bloodthirsty bigotry. No need to acknowledge this post, just please keep it in mind.

Thank you all! :tipshat:

supersnowman
Oct 3, 2012

"Western data" on Russian casualties.

https://t.me/DDGeopolitics/109382

quote:

🇷🇺⚔️🇺🇦 According to the BBC and Mediazona (a news outlet funded by the West and recognized as a "foreign agent" in Russia), the number of Russian casualties is now the lowest since the start of the Special Military Operation, with volunteer contract soldiers constituting the majority of the casualties.

Overall, since February 2022, the BBC and Mediazona, using open-source data, estimate that 52,155 Russian soldiers have been killed.

The casualties peaked during the battle for Artyomovsk.

➡️Full article on BBC Russian (https://www.bbc.com/russian/articles/c9ezjy35g11o)

🔴 @DDGeopolitics

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

confusing KIA and casualties again.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

euphronius posted:

confusing KIA and casualties again.

And it's still like 1/10 of what Ukraine is claiming. :lol:

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Admittedly, the Mediazona stuff is probably closer to reality (I wouldn't say spot on there is still a lot of ify subsets of data), but even then it has shown that Russian deaths have been dramatically declining for 6 months.

It is becoming less and less dramatic to admit the Ukrainians have been taking probably at least 5-6 times the KIA/WIA than the Russians.

That said, there is a good question of why you see so few T-64s nowadays, the Ukrainians had 700+ in service and 1,000 of them in reserve, where the hell did they go? Where did the rest of their equipment go, and everything they got including old Warsaw pact equipment and then all that Western stuff?

It is a massive amount of material.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

supersnowman posted:

nice, so if you voluntarily sign up you get used as cannon fodder? great reward for patriotism in russia

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀
It's funny that they have to reconcile the human waves thing with volunteers and not "unwilling conscripts", but then just ran the same story anyway.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/WSJ/status/1787856655713006001

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol I doubt it’s Russia trying to kill him

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

why would Russia want to kill him

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Main character syndrome now enabled by all of western mainstream media.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

What's Denis up to these days?

VoicesCanBe
Jul 1, 2023

"Cóż, wygląda na to, że zostaliśmy łaskawie oszczędzeni trudu decydowania o własnym losie. Jakże uprzejme z ich strony, że przearanżowali Europę bez kłopotu naszego zdania!"

This is the first time he's claimed a Russian assassination attempt since like March 2022.

euphronius posted:

Lol I doubt it’s Russia trying to kill him

I actually think it'd be pretty funny if some Banderites just tried to kill him and Zelensky legitimately mistook them for Russians.

I doubt it though he's probably lying and there was no attempt made

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
https://x.com/RT_com/status/1787789324953776212

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Epic osint guy explaining how it's barbaric to try and kill Zelensky while also justifying the time Ukraine assassinated a woman in a coffee shop full of civilians

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The prisoner data in particular seemed bogus, especially since Wagner stopped using them fairly early on and they aren't in the regular Russian military.

Otherwise, I am assume volunteers are going to be used as front line infantry while the pre-war professionals are probably in reserve or doing support work.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Anyway most likely it either didn't happen or the nazi brigades tried it. It might also have been real I dunno. Whatever. Maybe he should surrender

CN CREW-VESSEL
Feb 1, 2024

敌人磨刀我们也磨刀

genericnick posted:

What's Denis up to these days?

He died in 2023 iirc

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

supersnowman posted:

article claims "up to 127,000."

jpmeyer
Jan 17, 2012

parody image of che

DaysBefore posted:

Epic osint guy explaining how it's barbaric to try and kill Zelensky while also justifying the time Ukraine assassinated a woman in a coffee shop full of civilians

the funniest american analogies that i read to that were "if russia assassinated mikayla peterson" or "if russia assassinated chesa boudin"

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely
there was a lot of speculation that Ukraine might try for a big PR win on Putin's inauguration day (trying to blow up the Crimean Bridge) but I haven't seen any news that's picked up any traction yet so maybe they are saving the big PR operation for the victory day anniversary on the 9th.. Ukraine's most hated Soviet holiday of them all for reasons that probably don't warrant being looked in to.

I would hate to think that Ukraine is losing their touch, I know that they will do something or other to gratify their believers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Starsfan posted:

there was a lot of speculation that Ukraine might try for a big PR win on Putin's inauguration day (trying to blow up the Crimean Bridge) but I haven't seen any news that's picked up any traction yet so maybe they are saving the big PR operation for the victory day anniversary on the 9th.. Ukraine's most hated Soviet holiday of them all for reasons that probably don't warrant being looked in to.

I would hate to think that Ukraine is losing their touch, I know that they will do something or other to gratify their believers.

There was talk yesterday of ukraine ramping up their drones into crimea but who knows

Cao Ni Ma has issued a correction as of 17:42 on May 7, 2024