Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Skreemer: Any way to get in touch with you?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

snail posted:

Don't get me wrong, I loved my SV. That said, everyone I know that has owned one and invested time into the suspension ended up either accepting what they could get, or just buying another bike to start with as a baseline. They ride well enough, but if I want to circlejerk about how incredible the SV is I'll do it on a SV forum.

Everything from GSXR front ends, to replaced internals, to custom built cartridges. No matter what was done, another quirk in handling appeared. It's a solid first bigger bike, just don't expect to ever reach the levels of many other bikes.

I rode Spiffness's old track SV with a GSXR front end and a ZX10 shock, both re-valved by GP suspension. It worked pretty dang well. He made it up to Fast B slow A group pace without running into the limits of what the SV could do (handling wise).

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib

Bucephalus posted:

Where would one learn about suspension geometry, especially how rake and trail* affect handling? I'm intrigued by the idea of upgrading '80s bikes with modern suspension, but many (most?) of them were raked-out Custom/Limited/Special cruisers.

*as well as wheelbase, swingarm angle, rear shock angle, etc.

One of the best references I've found so far is Motorcycle Handling and Chassis Design by Tony Foale. It's available at http://www.tonyfoale.com/ but it's pretty pricey if you only have a passing interest. The website does have some handy articles though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Yeah, fundamentally the weight distribution and geometry of an SV (or any commuter/starter bike) are always going to put it at a disadvantage to a bike built to be sporty from the off.

It's a good bike for what it is, but I don't see the point of trying to make it something it isn't when you can trade it in for something more suitable for less cash (unless you just love the bike, which I can understand).

Yesterday coming home I went to change up a gear while in the middle of a left hand turn. When I moved my toe from the peg to under the gear selector it got partly jammed between the ground and the gear lever. I wear boots so no big deal, but it was somewhat surprising because I wasn't going very fast or leaning over particularly far (cold engine cold tyres); I hope this demonstrates that I don't roll around bolt-upright stabbing at the controls randomly and that my problems with this bike are legitimate and not just a case of growing a pair.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
I don't think that illustrates your point. Or illustrates anything really? If your boot is catching on the ground you should check that you're keeping your feet on the pegs correctly. The ball of your foot should be on the pegs during cornering. Alternatively, get your shifting done either before the turn or as you're standing the bike up during the last portion of the turn.

Unless I missed what your point here was meant to be....

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JP Money posted:

I don't think that illustrates your point. Or illustrates anything really? If your boot is catching on the ground you should check that you're keeping your feet on the pegs correctly. The ball of your foot should be on the pegs during cornering. Alternatively, get your shifting done either before the turn or as you're standing the bike up during the last portion of the turn.

Unless I missed what your point here was meant to be....

My point was that I am, in fact, leaning the bike over when I ride. I had to change up mid-corner because I didn't feel like redlining a cold engine in first gear.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

If you're leaned over, changing gears can unsettle the rear end. Might have been wiser to shift pre-corner in that case.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

If you're that concerned, do a track day and get the suspension guy there to set your bike up a bit better. If you're touching your boot to the ground on an SV during routine cornering it strikes me that perhaps your foot positioning isn't correct or that you are not getting off the bike and are leaning it too far below you.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Safety Dance posted:

If you're leaned over, changing gears can unsettle the rear end. Might have been wiser to shift pre-corner in that case.

Normally I would but 'pre-corner' in this case was about 15km/h and I was in first gear. Ditto for unsettling the bike, I was going pretty slowly.

^^^^there is no suspension setup on an sv, have you ever actually ridden one of these things? It is dirt basic.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Normally I would but 'pre-corner' in this case was about 15km/h and I was in first gear. Ditto for unsettling the bike, I was going pretty slowly.

^^^^there is no suspension setup on an sv, have you ever actually ridden one of these things? It is dirt basic.

I'm going to recommend you go back to basics a bit. You seem like a really good candidate to brush up on some fundamentals before you go any farther. Pick up Proficient Motorcycling and read cover to cover.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

My point was that I am, in fact, leaning the bike over when I ride. I had to change up mid-corner because I didn't feel like redlining a cold engine in first gear.

Erm, yeah, you're actually agreeing with my point, that the SV is fundamentally not a sporty bike. The amount of lean you can get before something hits the ground is a small, but pretty important, part of what defines a bike as sporty or not. If nothing else it's yet another component you have to replace (with sexy, sexy rearsets) to make the bike handle well - grounding out mid-corner looks cool but completely fucks your line.

If anyone's ever ridden a 90s Japanese 750 (the ZX-7RR in particular) they'll know what I'm talking about, the pegs on that were so high and far back that your knees were basically in your armpits. (As modern bikes are narrower the pegs don't need to be quite so far back and up, but it's still probably the second thing you notice when you get on a sports bike from a standard).

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

I have, and it was fine. I had more bitching to do about the power really. Plenty of people ride SV's specifically for their good handling. Do the cheap upgrades to the bike if you're really searching out better handling.

It's obviously an old design, I don't know what's surprising about that. It just sounds like some of the things you're saying throw up red flags in my mind that say it's not the bike.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

JP Money posted:

Plenty of people ride SV's specifically for their good handling.

Are you serious? The SV's suspension is some of the worst I've experienced in a modern motorcycle. Do these people ride on groomed tarmac or real roads?

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Super popular track bike once you swap in emulators / springs and put a zx shock on there. Those people tracking them are definitely riding faster than Slavvy.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JP Money posted:

Super popular track bike once you swap in emulators / springs and put a zx shock on there. Those people tracking them are definitely riding faster than Slavvy.

Yes, super popular track bike with all of the crippling deficiencies replaced by aftermarket parts.

I've read a bunch of motorbike books and my country requires 3 practical tests to get a full bike license.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Erm, yeah, you're actually agreeing with my point, that the SV is fundamentally not a sporty bike. The amount of lean you can get before something hits the ground is a small, but pretty important, part of what defines a bike as sporty or not. If nothing else it's yet another component you have to replace (with sexy, sexy rearsets) to make the bike handle well - grounding out mid-corner looks cool but completely fucks your line.

If anyone's ever ridden a 90s Japanese 750 (the ZX-7RR in particular) they'll know what I'm talking about, the pegs on that were so high and far back that your knees were basically in your armpits. (As modern bikes are narrower the pegs don't need to be quite so far back and up, but it's still probably the second thing you notice when you get on a sports bike from a standard).

I wasn't arguing with you if that's the impression you got from me quoting you sorry. I agree completely.

The unfortunate fact is that I'm stuck riding this thing every single day to work and back. Every day I try to ride better than the day before and recently I've struck a wall where the bike just feels out of it's depth. Which is fine, I can ride slowly, it's just disappointing after being led to believe that the SV was some kind of magical unicorn. Turns out it's just a great engine mated to an extremely average (but very practical) bike.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Yes, super popular track bike with all of the crippling deficiencies replaced by aftermarket parts.

I've read a bunch of motorbike books and my country requires 3 practical tests to get a full bike license.

I wasn't arguing with you if that's the impression you got from me quoting you sorry. I agree completely.

The unfortunate fact is that I'm stuck riding this thing every single day to work and back. Every day I try to ride better than the day before and recently I've struck a wall where the bike just feels out of it's depth. Which is fine, I can ride slowly, it's just disappointing after being led to believe that the SV was some kind of magical unicorn. Turns out it's just a great engine mated to an extremely average (but very practical) bike.

You do know that poo poo is cheap right?

Here's (http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135906) $255 for new springs AND emulators and a ZX10 shock is idk...100 bucks? Yes these are USD but gently caress it's not exactly breaking the bank. If it's either fix what you're bitching about or getting a new bike that's a pretty fair deal imo.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
What the hell corner are you going through at 9MPH that is causing you to lean over far enough to drag toes, even with lovely body positioning? I think that even busting a u-turn it's difficult for me to ground out the pegs at sub 10mph.

And the SV is a great engine and frame. The suspension itself is only moderately acceptable in the first 2k miles of the bike's life. After that, the fork fluid breaks down, the rear shock loses damping, and the underspring-ness really ruins the handling.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Z3n posted:

What the hell corner are you going through at 9MPH that is causing you to lean over far enough to drag toes, even with lovely body positioning? I think that even busting a u-turn it's difficult for me to ground out the pegs at sub 10mph.

And the SV is a great engine and frame. The suspension itself is only moderately acceptable in the first 2k miles of the bike's life. After that, the fork fluid breaks down, the rear shock loses damping, and the underspring-ness really ruins the handling.

Left hand out of a roundabout, I don't believe my body positioning was that bad but who knows. Maybe the speed was faster than that, all I know was that I was in first and approaching 6k; I avoid revving it past 5k when it's cold.

JP Money posted:

You do know that poo poo is cheap right?

Here's (http://www.svrider.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135906) $255 for new springs AND emulators and a ZX10 shock is idk...100 bucks? Yes these are USD but gently caress it's not exactly breaking the bank. If it's either fix what you're bitching about or getting a new bike that's a pretty fair deal imo.

That's probably what I'll end up doing, although currently even that is too expensive for me. I'm more afraid of getting the wrong parts as I don't know how trustworthy the online spring/valving calculator thingies are.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It's pretty easy to scrape your toes if your foot is on the pegs really lazily and your resting the back of your arch or even your heels on your low-side pegs while turning. You'll do it a few times on accident now and then. Just bear it in mind.

Doing the basic suspension on an SV is so worth it, you won't regret a thing.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Slavvy posted:

Left hand out of a roundabout, I don't believe my body positioning was that bad but who knows. Maybe the speed was faster than that, all I know was that I was in first and approaching 6k; I avoid revving it past 5k when it's cold.

That's probably what I'll end up doing, although currently even that is too expensive for me. I'm more afraid of getting the wrong parts as I don't know how trustworthy the online spring/valving calculator thingies are.

You can just call the suspension company up (Racetech, etc...dunno what availability is for you - you might have to source another company) and they'll get you set up. From what everyone says, ANYTHING more heavy duty really helps up front. ZX10 shocks can be found on forums and stuff for less than 100 easy. Even if it doesn't end up helping it may help selling the bike down the road since it's such a common mod.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Slavvy posted:

Yeah, approaching 6k in first gear is definitely not 10mph. Probably closer to 25mph. Combine that with your feet eating up the additional cornering clearance, and the stock suspension sagging to poo poo and you're dragging stuff.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I'd say just get an action cam and a chest mount and record your rides. Put 'em on youtube and then we can all criticize everything about your riding.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

nsaP posted:

I'd say just get an action cam and a chest mount and record your rides. Put 'em on youtube and then we can all criticize everything about your riding.

Just like the weight lifting form check thread, but more fun.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I was planning on taking my bike in to get a dyno and rejet because it seemed kind of anemic, but I had an inkling that it had more to do with the fact that it's been really loving cold lately. Took the bike out yesterday at 65F and was surprised at how smooth the bike was at all RPM. Pulled all the way to 130 without hesitation nor vibration. I can't wait for spring. Poor bike's got it rough lately. :smith:

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

HAIL SATAN, PRINCE OF LIES
I'm really wanting to fix some bits and bobs on the bike before its annual service, but 80mph winds and pissing rain means I'm gonna be sticking it under a tarp between two walls outside. God, today's gonna be fun.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Xovaan posted:

I was planning on taking my bike in to get a dyno and rejet because it seemed kind of anemic, but I had an inkling that it had more to do with the fact that it's been really loving cold lately. Took the bike out yesterday at 65F and was surprised at how smooth the bike was at all RPM. Pulled all the way to 130 without hesitation nor vibration. I can't wait for spring. Poor bike's got it rough lately. :smith:

usually you should feel more power, not less when it gets cold because the air is denser.

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Xovaan posted:

Cold air usually results in a leaner mixture (kinda matches what you describe) due to more oxygen for volume finding its way in. Warmer air, less dense, richer, and is probably running smoothly.

While on the topic, I'm actually after a decent display for my PC5/Autotune setup so I can keep an eye on AFR and injector duty/throttle setting. Anyone know of anything other than the official Powercommander stuff? The official LCD is too big to tuck in under all the bits, at least anywhere I can see it.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back
You could try a canbus adapter hooked up to your phone with something like Torque running, assuming your bike is OBDII compatible. It wouldn't have access to any data from the PC5 though. I doubt it would work anywhere near as well, but it would cost you $20 instead of $300.

Breaking Rumor: KTM to buy Husqvarna
http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/General-news/2013/January/jan2913-husqvarna-for-sale/_/R-EPI-139228

Zool fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jan 30, 2013

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
This seems like a good enough thread for this. For somewhere north of 15k you can own a 70's era bike that broke 3 land speed records. It's a V8 strapped to a frame, but unlike so many Boss Hoss imitators... this one actually goes somewhere.

EJ Potter's Widowmaker is for sale.

quote:

You are bidding on the last of E.J. Potter's Exhibition/Drag bikes,"Widowmaker" # 7. This bike was the last in a series of 7 motorcycles that E.J. thrilled the fans with in the late 1960's and early 1970's. It was listed in the first Guinness Book of World Records as the world's fastest motorcycle in 1971. The bike also held three AHRA world records and went 8.72 at 172 mph! E.J. was the last to ride this bike in 1999 at the Hot Rod Reunion in Bowling Green. He had a video made at that time. The bike was also on the front cover of his book, "The Michigan Mad Man" (both are included with the bike). E.J. wrote this book about his exploits with the "Bloody Mary" bikes that became "Widowmaker" after he married in the mid 1960's. He also had Allison aircraft powered exhibition cars and pulling tractors.

This is the original bike, restored in the 1990's. I have traced the owners from E.J. in 1972 to myself.

...etc...

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

I really love the juxtaposition of the huge loving cast-iron engine and the little teeny jackshaft and sprocket it's all connected to.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It has pretty decent brakes for the time.

What happens to your arms/chest if it backfires I wonder?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

It has pretty decent brakes for the time.

What happens to your arms/chest if it backfires I wonder?

Those grilles on top of the intakes are probably flame arresters doing dual duty as air filters, so it'd probably just feel like a hard nudge. Is it me or does it eem to be missing a pair of intakes?

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Speaking of flames I read further back in the thread about turning off your engine while driving at least once to see what it was like, then it was pointed out that it was fun to do this for a few seconds, open up the throttle, then turn the key and it'll bumpstart itself with lots of fire. Will doing this tonight on my midnight fun run to McDonalds kill me, because it sounds fun.

Nerobro
Nov 4, 2005

Rider now with 100% more titanium!

Wootcannon posted:

Speaking of flames I read further back in the thread about turning off your engine while driving at least once to see what it was like, then it was pointed out that it was fun to do this for a few seconds, open up the throttle, then turn the key and it'll bumpstart itself with lots of fire. Will doing this tonight on my midnight fun run to McDonalds kill me, because it sounds fun.

It's possible to damage your exhaust doing this. Baffles can be blown out, pipes split, and collectors parted.

However, the blue flame and big bang are quite worth it. For extra points, throw the choke and don't open the throttle, given 10-15 seconds you realy load the exhaust with a nice rich mixture.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Nerobro posted:

It's possible to damage your exhaust doing this. Baffles can be blown out, pipes split, and collectors parted.

However, the blue flame and big bang are quite worth it. For extra points, throw the choke and don't open the throttle, given 10-15 seconds you realy load the exhaust with a nice rich mixture.

Bonus points with Termingioni exhausts which tend to shoot out bits of burning packing material when you do it. Also 2-strokes with expansion champers can, if you get the timing right, shoot out a hyper-rich mixture that only ignites once it's out of the silencer, giving you a pretty effective flamethrower effect.

As proof of just how un-Italian Aprilia are getting, if you try and shotgun any of their modern bikes it just won't re-start until you put it in neutral. The ECU just goes "Hey you've hit the killswitch, something bad must have happened, I'll just wait for you to sort it out and then we can get going again".

Wootcannon
Jan 23, 2010

Nerobro posted:

Meh, its next service is likely going to be expensive anyway. Throw the choke just means pull it out all the way, right?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Wootcannon posted:

Meh, its next service is likely going to be expensive anyway. Throw the choke just means pull it out all the way, right?

Just like the Ice Cream Man's dong.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Bonus points with Termingioni exhausts which tend to shoot out bits of burning packing material when you do it. Also 2-strokes with expansion champers can, if you get the timing right, shoot out a hyper-rich mixture that only ignites once it's out of the silencer, giving you a pretty effective flamethrower effect.

As proof of just how un-Italian Aprilia are getting, if you try and shotgun any of their modern bikes it just won't re-start until you put it in neutral. The ECU just goes "Hey you've hit the killswitch, something bad must have happened, I'll just wait for you to sort it out and then we can get going again".

they make up for it though by firing flames out the back when you roll off the throttle.

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Nerobro posted:

10-15 seconds is a bit too long if you're out on the road with other traffic, 2-3 seconds is plenty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

A guy I used to ride with had some sort of flamethrower map on his GSXR. Every single time he would roll off the throttle it would barf out this huge flameball. Every time.