Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Doctor Soup posted:

Wait who did they get rid of? I’m drawing a blank on that one.

Probably referring to Lapis Lazuli running away with the barn and Pumpkin. That or Jasper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

Yes, they did nothing with Jasper/ the actually interesting possibility of curing corruption and once Lauren Zuke was off the show they sidelined Lapis and Peridot and then got rid of Lapis entirely. Why bother spoiling that?

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 25 hours!
I can understand being disappointed with how Jasper was handled, but Lapis left only nine eps ago. There's no way she ain't coming back.
CN does absolutely suck at scheduling, tho. I'm sure that we got this half of season 5 in the same timeframe that all of OK KO S1 debuted, aired and began S2.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Labes for days posted:

Yes, they did nothing with Jasper/ the actually interesting possibility of curing corruption and once Lauren Zuke was off the show they sidelined Lapis and Peridot and then got rid of Lapis entirely. Why bother spoiling that?

pretty sure lapis is showing up in one of tomorrow's eps

Plus Zuke left after Lars of the Stars, a bit latter that Raising the Barn(and was never involved with episode outlines, which would've been written months before eps were boarded)

Jasper's a different ballgame but the Dove promo stuff gives me hope

edit: Also peridot hasn't been sidelined, she was the focus of Raising the Barn and showed up in Letters to Lars

Digamma-F-Wau fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 7, 2018

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just can't get invested in like five episodes every 7 months anymore.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
This conversation is pretty good evidence of just how much CN's scheduling issues have damaged the show. Over the past few years CN has routinely tied plot episodes into bombs while stretching out low-key episodes, which has artificially hosed with the show's sense of pacing. If they'd stuck to weekly airings, we simply wouldn't be having this conversation.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh, definitely. The show has had this scheduling issue for years, yet it is still pacing itself like a show that does not have these issues.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

They just can't make room next to TTGO's 40th daily airing man, what are they to do.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

apparently there was a big production hiatus between the current season and next one so CN's stretching things out to reduce the wait between seasons, but honestly between season hiatuses are just inherently more tolerable than hiatuses that occur partway through the season

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Pretty much anything would be much more tolerable if they would just explain why they are doing it.

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

All of my complaints would definitely have been easier to handle if it aired consistently, yes. But waiting for like a year for new episodes only to see Peridot and Lapis split up left a really bad taste in my mouth. As it is, I'm just not really invested in any stories or relationships between characters anymore and that's sad, because I loved SU a lot.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
I always find this conversation kind of weird since I like the show a lot but I find it a nice surprise seeing new episodes and just move onto something else in the hiatus rather than dying of Steven Universe related thirst. It's not a good schedule or anything but it's real weird to me seeing people get bitter towards the show about this when they could just disengage and come back when something actually gets released. Maybe it's because I grew up with British TV and it was usually a giant gulf of most of the year before like 6 half hour episodes, and that would be the entire season before going back to an extended fallow period so you just kind of dealt with it.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it's way easier for me to engage with the show on the super sporadic basis CN chooses to release it on, and sometimes i even have multiple bombs to catch up on at a time. i've never really been more than just a casual enjoyer of the show though, so maybe that's why i don't mind as much.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

khwarezm posted:

I always find this conversation kind of weird since I like the show a lot but I find it a nice surprise seeing new episodes and just move onto something else in the hiatus rather than dying of Steven Universe related thirst. It's not a good schedule or anything but it's real weird to me seeing people get bitter towards the show about this when they could just disengage and come back when something actually gets released. Maybe it's because I grew up with British TV and it was usually a giant gulf of most of the year before like 6 half hour episodes, and that would be the entire season before going back to an extended fallow period so you just kind of dealt with it.

People are absolutely being big ol' babies about SU's release schedule yeah

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Macaluso posted:

People are absolutely being big ol' babies about SU's release schedule yeah

It's not that they're being babies or anything its just, like, The Venture Bros has managed to produce a whole 6 seasons in almost 15 years of airing now (the later ones of which only have around 8 episodes each) and I just kind of accept that's how that show goes down and catch it when it's on.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
Let me tell you whiners about a little show called Gravity Falls...

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
I feel that what makes SU a special case isn't necessarily that it's being hosed over by executives, but how it's being hosed over by executives in a way that fundamentally worsens the viewing experience for people who are trying to make an honest effort to keep up with episodes. For reference, here's a post I made a long time ago in the SU thread:

Acebuckeye13 posted:

Thinking it over, I think the bomb scheduling is actually one of the show's biggest issues right now. Think of it this way-from the start of this year, the show's aired 10 episodes: 5 major plot/action episodes, 3 Beach City episodes, Room for Ruby, and Steven having an existential crisis. That's not a bad mix! The problem is, the episodes with all the plot advancement and action sequences were compressed into the year's opening bomb, whereas the more laid-back/filler-ish episodes were spaced out over the course of a month. This means that, comparatively, it feels as though the show's going nowhere, even when it's going at the same pace it always has-it just feels worse because there was only 24 hours to watch and digest each Steven Bomb episode, whereas we got a full week to deal with the wonder and excitement that was Rocknaldo (Which, I'm gonna be honest, I still haven't bothered to watch all the way through). The fact that we're in a hiatus right now just exacerbates that fact, since all we have to do is sit back and ruminate on the last few episodes that were aired, none of which were particularly plot or action-heavy.

It's frustrating, too, since if they knocked off the bomb format and just aired episodes weekly, there's a good chance we wouldn't even be in a hiatus right now. Starting from the Summer of Steven/StevenNuke on July 18th, there's been 37 individual episodes aired. Do the math, and that was enough episodes to broadcast the show weekly from the middle of July right up until the end of March. However, since the vast majority of those episodes were aired last summer, and there was only one episode in between the end of August and January, it feels as though the show is taking its sweet-rear end time to actually develop anything, when in reality the lovely broadcast schedule is just warping our perspective of events.

Personally, I think the show's still as good as it ever was, and I think complaints about the show's quality will drop off once we're actually seeing new episodes again (Especially since it looks like we're heading for another major plot event). For now, I think it's worth taking a step back and recognizing that, no, the show's not stuck in some terrible malaise it will never recover from, Cartoon Network's scheduling just made it so that one episode of Ronaldo occupied the same amount of discussion time as all five episodes of the Zoo arc, and of course the show's going to feel five times as terrible after that.

I made this post a loving year ago, and the problem has only worsened in the meantime. Plot events are compressed, laid-back episodes are drawn out, and episodes are aired so infrequently that a ton of people have simply lost interest-not in the least of which because the show has become so heavily plot-focused that anything that doesn't directly advance the plot feels like a waste of time when the episodes are so spaced out. It doesn't help either that CN is so loving incompetent it can't even keep international broadcasters in line, or prevent itself from (allegedly) airing massive spoilers. It's a goddamn loving mess, and what makes it so tragic is that none of it is the fault of the people actually making the show.

edit: I still haven't watched Rocknaldo

Acebuckeye13 fucked around with this message at 04:10 on May 7, 2018

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

Rocknaldo isn't as bad as people make it out to be, but the best thing you can say about it is that it's less boring than Onion Gang

Alien Sex Manual
Dec 14, 2010

is not a sandwich

You can say I'm a big baby all you want; doesn't change the fact that executive fuckery screwed over a formerly great show for all the reasons Ace mentioned.

And speaking of babies, my actual child has lost interest in the show he used to enjoy because of how they release the episodes. But by all means, keep up the CN apologia.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I feel like they could start the show from the beginning, show one couplet per weeknight, and at the end show a new couplet, only to begin from the first episode again, and there'd still be better pacing than currently.

I'm not actually going to work it out, though.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm a big fan of disorderly viewing. It's one of the things that people miss out on in these days of binging mindlessly linearly from start to finish on streaming services. I recently watched through all of Star vs. the Forces of Evil, and I watched the third season first, second season (starting with the last episode of season 1) second, and finished up with season 1, and I feel like I had a better experience than I would've otherwise.

Wait, why is this a good thing? I can't think of many instances where I was glad I saw something out of order. The exception being American DBZ. The first episode I saw was the one where Vegeta kills Kui. I probably wouldn't have been a fan of the show if I saw it from the beginning because when I went back to the start, it was way more disappointing than it was how I imagined it would be.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Beachcomber posted:

I feel like they could start the show from the beginning, show one couplet per weeknight, and at the end show a new couplet, only to begin from the first episode again, and there'd still be better pacing than currently.

I'm not actually going to work it out, though.

The DBZ airing schedule.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

readingatwork posted:

Let me tell you whiners about a little show called Gravity Falls...

Oh gently caress right off with that "starving weans in africa disneyland" nonsense.

The scheduling is poo poo and just because the mouse hosed one of its serialized shows over doesn't mean CN gets to do it without commentary now especaily given how much of its airtime is dedicated to just one show.

khwarezm posted:

Maybe it's because I grew up with British TV and it was usually a giant gulf of most of the year before like 6 half hour episodes, and that would be the entire season before going back to an extended fallow period so you just kind of dealt with it.

I'm scottish and I find this whole affair to be blatant nonsense.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 16:39 on May 7, 2018

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Mr Interweb posted:

Wait, why is this a good thing? I can't think of many instances where I was glad I saw something out of order. The exception being American DBZ. The first episode I saw was the one where Vegeta kills Kui. I probably wouldn't have been a fan of the show if I saw it from the beginning because when I went back to the start, it was way more disappointing than it was how I imagined it would be.

I've done it before. It's fun, not having to give a poo poo about which way to watch things and doing it as you please. And when I've accidentally spoiled myself big plot points from games by reading the spoiler filled strategy guides and it actually improved my experience later on. It's like getting amped up for the real thing by an unexpected and awesome trailer.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I think the main problem really is serialization. I wasn't kidding in my other post. You can look at examples like SU or Adventure Time or even Gravity Falls near the end for shows that started light and over time got more plot-heavy and disappeared from the air. Networks like to put shows on where you can watch any episode any time. It's why TTG is on all the time and why Nickelodeon is going to make Spongebob until Tom Kenny dies in the recording booth (and why to a lesser extent, why other networks put sitcom reruns on so much). They give steady ratings. I'd imagine that you'd lose viewers if they turned on the TV and watched some random recent episode of Adventure Time, there's a lot of poo poo going on in that show now that is not explained at all unless you've seen other episodes. There are exceptions like Mr Interweb's example of DBZ, but those are usually cultural phenomenons the likes of which we've rarely seen since the 90s/early 00s.

Netflix has pretty much shown everybody that the world likes binging, so that's what everybody's doing. They're releasing things in "bomb" format on the air but really focusing on their app. That probably hits more in their target demo than the adult cult followings that form around them.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

This would make a lot more sense, though, if they actually focused on the app, instead of making the apps really hard to use and frequently locked behind cable subscription passwords?

If they really wanted to cater to streaming binge watchers, people who buy seasons of their shows on streaming services (like me) would be a priority and not a fairly obvious afterthought.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rand Brittain posted:

This would make a lot more sense, though, if they actually focused on the app, instead of making the apps really hard to use and frequently locked behind cable subscription passwords?

If they really wanted to cater to streaming binge watchers, people who buy seasons of their shows on streaming services (like me) would be a priority and not a fairly obvious afterthought.

You don't watch commercials.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr Interweb posted:

It's basically a roundabout way of saying that the initial episodes aren't very good, but it gets better later, and there isn't really much continuity that you need to understand for the later episodes. It's basically the solution to most of the shows that people tell you that you have to hang in until it kicks off for. In Star vs Evil's case, a lot of the points of continuity from season to season are actually better if you haven't seen them, since they're easy enough to understand, and when I went back to see them, they're really different from how the later show treats them anyways. The first season feels worse to watch, but if you already care for the characters, it's easier to make it through and enjoy.

In addition to that, the whole reason that I got sucked in was because I kept seeing clips on youtube that I liked with even less context. You don't always need to follow things straight from the beginning to enjoy them. It's a little like the experience of finding something random on TV and getting into it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

You don't watch commercials.

No, I just give them money directly.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Rand Brittain posted:

The CN app really needs to add an option to pay $5-$10/m to get around the cable subscription wall. I don’t do normal TV and don’t intend to start, so give me a way to get your dang shoes that isn’t buying seasons on Amazon or pirating stuff!

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Rand Brittain posted:

No, I just give them money directly.

So do I. The problem is they can get money from commercials and still get money from cord cutters. They're double dipping, and it's pretty rational that they do so.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Beachcomber posted:

So do I. The problem is they can get money from commercials and still get money from cord cutters. They're double dipping, and it's pretty rational that they do so.

They don't have to treat the cord-cutters like second-class citizens, though.

As it is, I usually have to resort to piracy to actually watch things I paid for months ago.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
But they don't want money, they want money!

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...
They probably won't be able to rely on cable customers for much longer. Apparently TV subscription revenue is cratering faster than expected. If CN is doing something right, they're looking at their back catalogue, their current pipeline, and their app, doing some pretty easy math to figure out how they're going to survive.

But then again, the writing has been on the wall for years. If they were smart then they would have opened up the app years ago.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The main thing I have cable for anymore is Toonami, so if I could pay like 5 bucks a month for a CN app and also get a CN/Adult Swim livestream, that'd be great.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

That's how they handle the Boomerang app

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

ConanThe3rd posted:

But they don't want money, they want money!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=km0_vOE_2XE

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

That's how they handle the Boomerang app

THEN JUST DO THAT FOR THE REST OF THE poo poo.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I got season 1 of Mystery Inc. out from the library and I did not remember Velma and Daphne being Thirsty AF.

Probably didn't notice the first time because I've loved Velma since I was a child. Is it because she's smart and wears glasses, or is she the reason I like smart girls in glasses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Beachcomber posted:

I got season 1 of Mystery Inc. out from the library and I did not remember Velma and Daphne being Thirsty AF.

Probably didn't notice the first time because I've loved Velma since I was a child. Is it because she's smart and wears glasses, or is she the reason I like smart girls in glasses?

Unfortunately those aspects end up being the worst parts of the show, as it leads to a lot of really dumb drama that in the long run goes absolutely nowhere