Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The teacher might actually die of poignancy if she saw that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Surprised Raidou didn't try to come up with some wild theory about why she did that

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Angry Grimace posted:

The teacher might actually die of poignancy if she saw that.

NGL, I misparsed that as "pregnancy" like, five times.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

El Burbo posted:

Surprised Raidou didn't try to come up with some wild theory about why she did that

He probably did.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Urgh, when did Fallen Angels stop posting on Mdex? That fell right off my radar. Though now I see why Aharen-san, Grand Blue, and Osananajimi ni Najimitai haven't updated in a while.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Ao no Flag 41 on Manga Plus

The feeling of me reading Kaguya 136 but the exact opposite

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Aharen-san

Raidou killed the teacher with his raw unrestrained sexuality.

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Cuntellectual posted:

I don't think we've seen why she doesn't like guys but all in all she might be upset at herself the most on some level, because of how she's "wrong" and not thinking/feeling the way she's supposed to and doesn't know how to deal with that, but that might be me projecting.

Please refer to this chapter for how modern-day Japanese teenagers are "supposed to" feel about LGBT issues.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
love live is allowed to live another year https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/...a_class_reunion

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I don't even know what team I'm on now.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
Two new chapters for Looking Up To You, and

:allears:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

chumbler posted:

I don't even know what team I'm on now.

I wasn't really sure where that was leading but I think having her ultimately reflect on how lovely she had been and grow from it was a good result.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Has anyone posted about Skip to Loafer yet?

There's only two (big!) chapters so far but it seems like a slice of life possibly romance series. The main character is a girl coming from a tiny country village to go to school in Tokyo, and I think she's a really interesting protagonist! I'm interested to see where the story goes.

big dyke energy fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Feb 16, 2019

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Mirage posted:

Urgh, when did Fallen Angels stop posting on Mdex? That fell right off my radar. Though now I see why Aharen-san, Grand Blue, and Osananajimi ni Najimitai haven't updated in a while.

It happened like 4 months ago. Fallen Angels decided to be morally opposed to rule 2.4 on MangaDex and removed everything from the website.

MangaDex lets scans groups have a lot of control over their releases on the website, even letting active groups choose to NOT allow their stuff to be uploaded. Rule 2.4 is about removing the upload restrictions on groups that become inactive. So if a group previously wasn't allowing their stuff on MangaDex and they disappear, you could cite rule 2.4 after 6 months and get the upload restriction removed for all that group's work.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://mangadex.org/title/28790/the-feelings-of-a-girl-with-sanpaku-eyes

sanpaku got a sidequel(?) a while ago apparently which is cool cuz i like the girl but i couldn't read the pov version

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

https://mangadex.org/chapter/544318/1

The last chapter of white note pad is just a really long conversation and its super good.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
i liked it but it's only 7 chapters and i still can't read the pov version :smith:

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
https://mangadex.org/title/34693/kanojo-ni-naritai-kimi-to-boku

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
https://mangadex.org/title/23862/bocchi-kaibutsu-to-moumoku-shoujo

this is cute as h*ck

the gay blind lady being named lily blind could literally not be more on the nose, though.

In summary, it's that kind of manga.

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Feb 18, 2019

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah, I bought it recently and enjoyed it well enough. Feels like the sort of thing that could have used more room to breathe tho

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah, I bought it recently and enjoyed it well enough. Feels like the sort of thing that could have used more room to breathe tho

Its all fluff without any drama to ground it as a relationship but I still liked it.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Futari Monologue continues to have quality reactions.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Its all fluff without any drama to ground it as a relationship but I still liked it.

From skimming recent stuff it seems like they've added some drama with Lily's family, though it's still not really a lot of drama.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Yeah the later chapters have some decent drama with monster girl's self-hatred and people going "oh god a monster", but it feels a little undercooked. Not bad, just, like I said, the sort of thing that could have used more pages than it got.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

it's not really a relationship drama, they're still as lovey dovey as ever

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Cuntellectual posted:

In summary, it's that kind of manga.

Sharkopath posted:

Yesssssss!

Drama and serious portrayals of real issues have their place, but sometimes what you want (and need) is just something chill and cute.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Waci posted:

Yesssssss!

Drama and serious portrayals of real issues have their place, but sometimes what you want (and need) is just something chill and cute.

Theres dozens of hundreds of that if you want, as I get older though I'm starting to see that kind of thing as more disingenuous and bland. Romance is inherently a form of conflict or a benign clash of personalities and wills to me and even something as simple a small fight is way more humanizing than immediately sublimating your will with no effort.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Probably healthier too honestly.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
not everything i read needs to be Gunjou (is that true? the ending was really good) but I think stuff like So Do You Want To Go Out or Itoshi no Nekkoke that aren't really drama series and in the case of the former haven't had any major conflicts yet but just deal with the real kind of human clumsiness of making a relationship work are way more interesting to read than simple fluff pieces

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
with that said that kind of writing is really hard to do and people who did it well are incredibly impressive to me

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Spiritus Nox posted:

Yeah the later chapters have some decent drama with monster girl's self-hatred and people going "oh god a monster", but it feels a little undercooked. Not bad, just, like I said, the sort of thing that could have used more pages than it got.

It was basically just a short thing that the artist kept adding on to cause people liked it. So there's pretty much no planning at all.

On the other side of things, https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kanojo_ni_naritai_kimi_to_boku_ch01

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

DisDisDis posted:

not everything i read needs to be Gunjou (is that true? the ending was really good) but I think stuff like So Do You Want To Go Out or Itoshi no Nekkoke that aren't really drama series and in the case of the former haven't had any major conflicts yet but just deal with the real kind of human clumsiness of making a relationship work are way more interesting to read than simple fluff pieces

Yah to me Drama doesn't mean inherently destructive stress and tragedy, but I think thats what it means to others.

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

DisDisDis posted:

So Do You Want To Go Out or Itoshi no Nekkoke ... are way more interesting to read than simple fluff pieces

I'd say these are both solidly on the fluffy side of things, so sure, good well-written fluff is better than merely ok fluff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I never really like the term fluff because I dunno it just kinda feels like it devalues the worth of any low key character drama or the story itself. I tend to call things chill but it doesn't work exactly the same, because I mean a show like ACCA is chill but it isn't fluff.

e: not that I am saying it really bothers me when other people use it, its just a thing where im like "this doesn't feel as like, definite as i want it to be" when i try to like talk about something i guess

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Feb 18, 2019

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Well I think that's the intent people are trying to get across, at least as typically used here.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I have a "low key" tag that I put on stuff that's mostly just about folks being folks without any high stakes dramatic poo poo going down. I do enjoy fluff tho (the stuff that's mostly just cute sugary sweetness); in contrast as I've gotten older I just don't have much taste for being wrung out emotionally over stuff so I want happy endings and only moderate levels of angst to get there.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Sharkopath posted:

Yah to me Drama doesn't mean inherently destructive stress and tragedy, but I think thats what it means to others.

People tend to confuse drama and dramatic. Dramas are a genre focusing on emotional development of the characters, whereas something something suspenseful dealing with those things is more dramatic.

Just like how people tend to call anything sad a tragedy!

(How I was taught, at least), A tragedy took a main character (typically of wealth and status in ye olden days) who suffers a tragic downfall, specifically one brought about their own flaws, mistakes, moral weaknesses or inability to cope, and, most difficult of all, catharsis at the end. To put it another way, the main character's downfall should be the logical result of those aforementioned failings. (There can also be a reversal of fortune and/or reveal at the end but it's not required).

Basically, the audience isn't supposed to feel angry or confused.

Dark and sad works a lot of people call tragedies are more often dramas. :colbert:

Tragedy! When the feeling's gone and you can't go on it's a
Tragedy!
When the morning cries and you don't know why!

Spiritus Nox posted:

I thought it was ongoing?

Brainamp posted:

It was basically just a short thing that the artist kept adding on to cause people liked it. So there's pretty much no planning at all.

On the other side of things, https://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/kanojo_ni_naritai_kimi_to_boku_ch01

I hate this kind of manga. The ones with two chapters and a cliffhanger. :mad:

e: Oh that just came out today lol I was confusing it with another similar one!

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

Everything Burrito posted:

(the stuff that's mostly just cute sugary sweetness)

Yea, I agree with some people said about realistic character development making low-stakes stuff more enjoyable, but I do think there's a place for the banal sweet stuff with no substance as well.

It's kind of like how random cat video number 43587019 that someone posts on your facebook feed has zero artistic merit and might objectively be a crime against cinematography, but still does just fine for getting your mind off of serious stuff and onto something vaguely positive for 30 seconds.

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013

Waci posted:

I'd say these are both solidly on the fluffy side of things, so sure, good well-written fluff is better than merely ok fluff.

they both have drama and serious portrayals of real issues, is my point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.

DisDisDis posted:

they both have drama and serious portrayals of real issues, is my point

Sure, but in limited intensity. And I do agree it makes them more enjoyable, my point was more that it is entirely possible for something to work just fine as emotional bleach without them.