Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Stick100 posted:

Sent by PM. I had 2, I gave both away, com'on thread step up I'm sure I'm not the only one that got one they didn't use.
So I just got the tablet tonight and I actually think it's a pretty good device. A month ago I got the iPad Pro for some reason didn't feel like the price warranted the purchase but here I feel like the value is at a better price point. The screen is a really good quality and the voice recognition is actually very very good. My only major complaint which is more complaining about nothing is that the tablet came not charged so I had to wait an hour to charge it before I could apply a system update.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
If any new tablets are to be announced/released this year, like a new shield or Nexus, around when is that likely to happen? None of the interesting existing ones exist reasonably in Sweden so if I want a tablet I have to hope for something new (and then hope they actually sell it here, unlike the pixel)

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Dunno, but I'd really like a new nexus 7 (or nexus 8, they could probably fit an 8 inch screen onto the size of the 2012 nexus 7 by now).

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Dunno, but I'd really like a new nexus 7 (or nexus 8, they could probably fit an 8 inch screen onto the size of the 2012 nexus 7 by now).

That's basically the feature, size and price scope the K1 fills right now, google build cycle excepted.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MikeJF posted:

That's basically the feature, size and price scope the K1 fills right now, google build cycle excepted.

I really don't wanna deal with the OEM update cycle anymore, unfortunately.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

That's my biggest issue with android right now. My N7 2013 still receives love but unless you have a nexus phone, you don't know when you'll get OS updates at all. It's gonna be a weird trip on phones since I went from android to WP two years ago and I may switch this year back to android...

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Guillermus posted:

That's my biggest issue with android right now. My N7 2013 still receives love but unless you have a nexus phone, you don't know when you'll get OS updates at all. It's gonna be a weird trip on phones since I went from android to WP two years ago and I may switch this year back to android...

Just forget non-Nexus phones exist. Problem solved.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Just forget non-Nexus phones exist. Problem solved.

That's what I plan to do. I just want to know if they're going to release newer nexus phones this year I might jump in again.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Guillermus posted:

That's what I plan to do. I just want to know if they're going to release newer nexus phones this year I might jump in again.

Not the thread for it, but yeah, there will be new phones in the last couple of months of the year if the past is any guide.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Hey all, looking for some advice for my father this coming father's day. He's not very tech savy but he prefers android or windows system then Apple (I had nothing to do with this). In the past I have been just getting him new fire tablets since he mostly just browse the web and watch movies on the tablet. This year I think I want to get him something better. Are the samsung galaxy tabs any good? He's been eyeing them every time we go to costco and walk buy them.

Would a pixel C be too much for him? I don't suppose there's any tablet that provides a Chinese option is there? Also, is the developer discount for pixel C a periodical thing? Is it coming back?

thanks!

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde
I've got a Pixel C, no keyboard. I hate using a tablet with a case on it and usually buy cheap neoprene sleeves so I can shove it in a bag. I started to wonder if this is actually the best option, any opinions/recommendations?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Konsek posted:

I've got a Pixel C, no keyboard. I hate using a tablet with a case on it and usually buy cheap neoprene sleeves so I can shove it in a bag. I started to wonder if this is actually the best option, any opinions/recommendations?

When used my N7 2013 caseless I just got a tempered glass screen protector. If it got damaged, it was just the protector and I could replace it.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

lethial posted:

Hey all, looking for some advice for my father this coming father's day. He's not very tech savy but he prefers android or windows system then Apple (I had nothing to do with this). In the past I have been just getting him new fire tablets since he mostly just browse the web and watch movies on the tablet. This year I think I want to get him something better. Are the samsung galaxy tabs any good? He's been eyeing them every time we go to costco and walk buy them.

Would a pixel C be too much for him? I don't suppose there's any tablet that provides a Chinese option is there? Also, is the developer discount for pixel C a periodical thing? Is it coming back?

thanks!

I haven't been following the Samsung stuff but it's probably just fine. The Pixel C is very nice, and you can change your language in Android; my Samsung phone only apparently has a half dozen languages but Google devices have a lot more options. My Pixel C has at least 3 different dialects/versions available (maybe "Mandarin", "Cantonese", and "simplified") but I can't actually read the Hanzi to confirm. It's expensive, but I think it's worth it, especially if your Dad relies on a tablet heavily.

Konsek posted:

Are you looking for protection, or just a purpose-built solution for the Pixel C? If it's the latter, I recommend Google's own Folio Keyboard (https://store.google.com/product/pixel_c_folio_keyboard). I actually have both keyboards (because gently caress you, that's why :colbert:) and the Folio is the more functional, less gimmicky version. It works well, is very nicely built, and holds the tablet magnetically so you can quickly remove it if desired; there's no twisting or bending to deal with like on the other official keyboard.

If you want a protective slip case, I've recommended this one before: amazon.com/gp/product/B018HXS30U/

lethial
Apr 29, 2009
Thank you so much for the helpful info! Looks like I will have to consider a pixel C. How often does it go on sale? That developer discount is a only once thing right? Thanks.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

lethial posted:

Thank you so much for the helpful info! Looks like I will have to consider a pixel C. How often does it go on sale? That developer discount is a only once thing right? Thanks.

Aside from that discount, I don't think it's ever been on sale. The developer discount may have indeed been a one-time thing. You could possibly find a used one in very good condition.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

Atomizer posted:

Aside from that discount, I don't think it's ever been on sale. The developer discount may have indeed been a one-time thing. You could possibly find a used one in very good condition.

Uhh, okay, thank! At least this means that I have no reason to wait to buy it... unless pixel C2 is coming out this month...

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If he's Chinese, would he prefer something with a stylus for input? Maybe a full stylus like Wacom or NTrig or S-Pen, but even something like DirectStylus 2 or the C-Pen would be totally practical for character input over a general capcitive stylus.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 12, 2016

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Thermopyle posted:

Not the thread for it, but yeah, there will be new phones in the last couple of months of the year if the past is any guide.

And the current 6p and 5x will likely be cheap as heck as well.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

lethial posted:

Uhh, okay, thank! At least this means that I have no reason to wait to buy it... unless pixel C2 is coming out this month...

Yeah, as far as I've seen there's no sale in the works. The thing is, Google may be phasing out the Pixel C concept, considering how they ignored it at I/O. Remember, it was originally supposed to be a ChromeOS device. That being said, it's still really nice and functional as an Android tablet, but unless they have some hitherto secret plans for it there probably won't be a successor.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Atomizer posted:

The thing is, Google may be phasing out the Pixel C concept, considering how they ignored it at I/O.
What does this even mean? I/O is a dev conference and the Pixel C came out six months ago. What did you want them to do with it at I/O? What does it even need except decent multi window support which is pretty much the flagship feature of Android N? Did Google do anything with the 5X or 6P at I/O? So let's conclude that they are abandoning phones as well?

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

Tunga posted:

What does this even mean? I/O is a dev conference and the Pixel C came out six months ago. What did you want them to do with it at I/O? What does it even need except decent multi window support

Active stylus and HDMI out. I refuse to buy another tablet without supporting every possible feature I might need.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.
I'm going to just sit here and hope that their next device is the same approximate form factor as the Pixel C, running Chrome OS on x86.

Edit: With external or upgradeable storage.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Atomizer posted:

Are you looking for protection, or just a purpose-built solution for the Pixel C? If it's the latter, I recommend Google's own Folio Keyboard (https://store.google.com/product/pixel_c_folio_keyboard). I actually have both keyboards (because gently caress you, that's why :colbert:) and the Folio is the more functional, less gimmicky version. It works well, is very nicely built, and holds the tablet magnetically so you can quickly remove it if desired; there's no twisting or bending to deal with like on the other official keyboard.

If you want a protective slip case, I've recommended this one before: amazon.com/gp/product/B018HXS30U/

I don't really want a keyboard, and while that case looks good, it's really expensive in my country. I'm going to look for something similar though, that would be perfect for me. Thanks.

lethial
Apr 29, 2009

MikeJF posted:

If he's Chinese, would he prefer something with a stylus for input? Maybe a full stylus like Wacom or NTrig or S-Pen, but even something like DirectStylus 2 or the C-Pen would be totally practical for character input over a general capcitive stylus.

Does Pixel C support stylus? I am familiar with stylus support on windows based tablets but not on Android tablets. Do they work well? Thanks!

Rap Game Goku
Apr 2, 2008

Word to your moms, I came to drop spirit bombs

G-Prime posted:

I'm going to just sit here and hope that their next device is the same approximate form factor as the Pixel C, running Chrome OS on x86.

Haven't they said that ChromeOS is going away and it'll all be android at some point?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Wacky Delly posted:

Haven't they said that ChromeOS is going away and it'll all be android at some point?

If they have, that's good, because Chrome OS is useless and Chrome on Android needs to have extension support already.

u fink u hard Percy
Sep 14, 2007

G-Prime posted:

Intel is pulling out of mobile CPUs.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Daimo posted:

And so is Nvidia.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Wacky Delly posted:

Seems unlikely given that ChromeOS is getting support for running Android apps natively, just announced at I/O.

Daimo posted:

No, they axed the Atom line. That doesn't mean that Core m is dead, or that they couldn't use a Core i like either the Surface or Surface Pro series.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

G-Prime posted:

Seems unlikely given that ChromeOS is getting support for running Android apps natively, just announced at I/O.

No, they axed the Atom line. That doesn't mean that Core m is dead, or that they couldn't use a Core i like either the Surface or Surface Pro series.

They're not even canceling all Atom chips. Just the ones for phones specifically, they'll still be making Atoms for things like HTPCs and laptops, as well as some tablets.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Tunga posted:

What does this even mean? I/O is a dev conference and the Pixel C came out six months ago. What did you want them to do with it at I/O? What does it even need except decent multi window support which is pretty much the flagship feature of Android N? Did Google do anything with the 5X or 6P at I/O? So let's conclude that they are abandoning phones as well?

They conspicuously ignored any mention of their top-of-the-line tablet and didn't even show it in the context of the current state of N's split-screen multi-window. Remember, the latter was supposed to be a killer feature of the Pixel C, which intentionally has an aspect ratio that easily facilitates it.

Again, it's pretty much assumed that the Pixel C was supposed to have ChromeOS and they just hastily threw Android on there after initially canceling their plans. That's why we're assuming that they're going to let it quietly fade away. Smartphones are a different story.

Wacky Delly posted:

Now it appears that they're almost doing the opposite by facilitating Android apps into ChromeOS. Neither OS is going anywhere.

fishmech posted:

If they have, that's good, because Chrome OS is useless and Chrome on Android needs to have extension support already.

Exaggerate much? Try actually using ChromeOS, it's more useful than you think. And that's without even mentioning that on my ChromeOS devices, I have Ubuntu installed as well and use CRD to access a Windows machine, so I can literally do everything except Windows gaming.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Atomizer posted:

Exaggerate much? Try actually using ChromeOS, it's more useful than you think. And that's without even mentioning that on my ChromeOS devices, I have Ubuntu installed as well and use CRD to access a Windows machine, so I can literally do everything except Windows gaming.

It's not an exaggeration, and I've used it plenty over many years. It brings nothing to the table that just running Chrome on another OS instead of the locked down version of Linux it uses does.

Chrome OS is a solution in search of problem that was obsoleted 6 years ago.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

It's not an exaggeration, and I've used it plenty over many years. It brings nothing to the table that just running Chrome on another OS instead of the locked down version of Linux it uses does.

Chrome OS is a solution in search of problem that was obsoleted 6 years ago.

No, it is an exaggeration because you literally said that the entire OS is useless. It clearly isn't when many of us can do nearly everything we need to do on ChromeOS. It's fine that you don't like it, but at least act like you know what "useless" means.

ChromeOS is fast, functional, and secure, and that's why we use it. You can't say the same about the Chrome browser on another platform; the mobile version is limited, and running the desktop version is either sluggish on the type of hardware that Chromebooks can get away with or it requires significantly more powerful hardware to get the same speedy experience. And that's not to mention the fact that you have to be more mindful of security issues on other OSs (Windows in particular of course); do you expect to get ransomware on ChromeOS? I didn't think so.

Part of the security of ChromeOS is due to it being locked down, which is an advantage. As I mentioned though, you can enable Developer Mode and install a full-featured Linux distro like Ubuntu or Debian. So however limited ChromeOS may be, you can increase the device's functionality by running an additional OS.

Ultimately, getting back to the Android discussion, I think that Google's speeding up the ChromeOS implementation of Android apps is a step in the right direction and will expand ChromeOS's appeal, however it doesn't affect me all that much because Chrome does what I need it to already, and I use Android mobile devices anyway.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Atomizer posted:

No, it is an exaggeration because you literally said that the entire OS is useless. It clearly isn't when many of us can do nearly everything we need to do on ChromeOS. It's fine that you don't like it, but at least act like you know what "useless" means.

ChromeOS is fast, functional, and secure, and that's why we use it. You can't say the same about the Chrome browser on another platform; the mobile version is limited, and running the desktop version is either sluggish on the type of hardware that Chromebooks can get away with or it requires significantly more powerful hardware to get the same speedy experience. And that's not to mention the fact that you have to be more mindful of security issues on other OSs (Windows in particular of course); do you expect to get ransomware on ChromeOS? I didn't think so.

Part of the security of ChromeOS is due to it being locked down, which is an advantage. As I mentioned though, you can enable Developer Mode and install a full-featured Linux distro like Ubuntu or Debian. So however limited ChromeOS may be, you can increase the device's functionality by running an additional OS.

Ultimately, getting back to the Android discussion, I think that Google's speeding up the ChromeOS implementation of Android apps is a step in the right direction and will expand ChromeOS's appeal, however it doesn't affect me all that much because Chrome does what I need it to already, and I use Android mobile devices anyway.

You can also do everything you need to do with Chrome on regular Linux, or Chrome on Windows for the same money. That's why Chrome OS itself is useless - it doesn't even have an advantage in speed.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

You can also do everything you need to do with Chrome on regular Linux, or Chrome on Windows for the same money. That's why Chrome OS itself is useless - it doesn't even have an advantage in speed.

Again, you're confused as to what "useless" means, and you certainly can't buy a $200 Windows machine and expect it to run Chrome as well as a $200 Chromebook will. Since we're clearly not making any progress towards an understanding of the topic and we're derailing the thread as well, can we get this back on track regarding Android tablets?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Atomizer posted:

Again, you're confused as to what "useless" means, and you certainly can't buy a $200 Windows machine and expect it to run Chrome as well as a $200 Chromebook will. Since we're clearly not making any progress towards an understanding of the topic and we're derailing the thread as well, can we get this back on track regarding Android tablets?

Yeah, you can, because it's no longer 2010. But you could also buy a $200 Linux machine running a full Linux OS and run Chrome on it, and it's simply all around better than Chrome OS.

PS: If Google is making Chrome OS able to run Android - then they're just making Android tablets by another name, It's effectively adding a whole new OS in and invalidating the very concept of Chrome OS ("everything in the browser!").

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

Yeah, you can, because it's no longer 2010. But you could also buy a $200 Linux machine running a full Linux OS and run Chrome on it, and it's simply all around better than Chrome OS.

PS: If Google is making Chrome OS able to run Android - then they're just making Android tablets by another name, It's effectively adding a whole new OS in and invalidating the very concept of Chrome OS ("everything in the browser!").

So the interesting thing is that low-cost Chromebooks instigated the production of low-end Windows devices (think Cloudbooks, the HP Stream line, etc.) That's a good thing for the consumer, maybe, but have you used a low-end Windows tablet or laptop? Something running an Atom, like the Z3735 with 1 or 2 GB of RAM? It works, and I have to give credit to MS for making Win10 in particular run well on low-end hardware (I upgraded a ~6-7-year-old netbook to Win10 and it is slightly less sluggish than Win7!) However you'd have to be kidding yourself to say that a Windows laptop runs as fast as an equal-cost Chromebook. It's simply not true, and it's bizarre that you're making that claim. :psyduck:

I am OK with you buying that $200 Linux machine (although to be fair, you're probably buying one of the aforementioned Windows systems and installing Linux yourself) but considering I can do the same thing with any Chromebook I'll stick with this hardware because ChromeOS is as useful as it is in the first place.

It's an oversimplification to state that "ChromeOS + ARC = Android." As I mentioned already, I'm fine with Android apps on ChromeOS, but that only adds to the functionality of the OS and justifies its continued existence. Nobody gives a poo poo about being "in the browser." ChromeOS + Apps would work better for me than Android + the Chrome browser, because ChromeOS works perfectly while the mobile Chrome does not; the lack of extensions and the mobile nature of the browser (certain pages don't render correctly even when you request the desktop version) explain why I'm using a fast, low-power Chromebook right now (HP 13) instead of a Windows machine or an Android tablet.

And, getting back on topic, ChromeOS + ARC won't mean "Android tablets by another name" because all ChromeOS devices thus far have been laptops/convertibles/desktops (AIOs, SFF boxes, sticks) and not tablets. We've wanted a ChromeOS tablet, which was supposed to be the Pixel C. That brings us back to the thread, and how it feels like Google will drop the Pixel C line because they abandoned the ChromeOS tablet idea and just threw Android on the hardware to sell it.

Then again, now that I think about it, they could do a 180 because the demand for tablet-style, touchscreen ChromeOS devices will increase simply due to better interactivity with upcoming Android apps. What do you think about that?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Atomizer posted:

So the interesting thing is that low-cost Chromebooks instigated the production of low-end Windows devices (think Cloudbooks, the HP Stream line, etc.) That's a good thing for the consumer, maybe, but have you used a low-end Windows tablet or laptop? Something running an Atom, like the Z3735 with 1 or 2 GB of RAM? It works, and I have to give credit to MS for making Win10 in particular run well on low-end hardware (I upgraded a ~6-7-year-old netbook to Win10 and it is slightly less sluggish than Win7!) However you'd have to be kidding yourself to say that a Windows laptop runs as fast as an equal-cost Chromebook. It's simply not true, and it's bizarre that you're making that claim. :psyduck:

I am OK with you buying that $200 Linux machine (although to be fair, you're probably buying one of the aforementioned Windows systems and installing Linux yourself) but considering I can do the same thing with any Chromebook I'll stick with this hardware because ChromeOS is as useful as it is in the first place.

Dude, ChromeOS massively post-dates low-end Windows devices. Google came up with ChromeOS specifically because low-end Windows devices were a popular product segment. And once again, yes, similar cost Windows laptops run similarly fast. It sure does help that they don't have to shove absolutely everything inside a web browser which itself will slow down some of it! Dell and Lenovo have sold laptops with Linux installed for a while now. There's also a bunch of minor manufacturers.

I get that you think I haven't used Chrome OS, but I started with the Cr-48 and have used every generation of Chromebooks since for extended time periods. They really do not perform any better for their specs than they would with a full OS and Chrome running in it, so simply ending Chrome OS and finally making Android Chrome full-featured would be an unambiguously better thing to have.

Atomizer posted:

Then again, now that I think about it, they could do a 180 because the demand for tablet-style, touchscreen ChromeOS devices will increase simply due to better interactivity with upcoming Android apps. What do you think about that?

Once again: the Google push to add Android functionality to Chrome OS shows even Google is admitting that the "do everything in Chrome" philosophy is a failed concept. You simply have a more useful device when you aren't limited by what runs in Chrome, Android applications are full on general purpose OS stuff!

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

fishmech posted:

Dude, ChromeOS massively post-dates low-end Windows devices. Google came up with ChromeOS specifically because low-end Windows devices were a popular product segment. And once again, yes, similar cost Windows laptops run similarly fast. It sure does help that they don't have to shove absolutely everything inside a web browser which itself will slow down some of it! Dell and Lenovo have sold laptops with Linux installed for a while now. There's also a bunch of minor manufacturers.

I get that you think I haven't used Chrome OS, but I started with the Cr-48 and have used every generation of Chromebooks since for extended time periods. They really do not perform any better for their specs than they would with a full OS and Chrome running in it, so simply ending Chrome OS and finally making Android Chrome full-featured would be an unambiguously better thing to have.

Once again: the Google push to add Android functionality to Chrome OS shows even Google is admitting that the "do everything in Chrome" philosophy is a failed concept. You simply have a more useful device when you aren't limited by what runs in Chrome, Android applications are full on general purpose OS stuff!

The thing is, ChromeOS was predated by netbooks in particular which were the first major "low-cost" portable Windows devices but as you're aware netbooks died out. This is partially because the were low-performance devices in addition to being low-cost (I mean we can go back and look at the specs on them if we need to, but you should probably take my word on this) but then smartphones and tablets rose to prominence and they offered similar performance and functionality.

Now, Chromebooks are massively popular in the education segment and are making inroads into the business environment specifically because they are generally inexpensive, performant, easy to manage, and secure. This in turn led to the resurgence of "cloudbooks" which are just netbooks by another name, but with better hardware. Still, they carry the overhead of Windows and do not run Chrome as well as similiarly-spec'd Chromebooks do. Go ahead and get yourself an HP Stream 7 with 1 GB of RAM and try it out; it's not a major expense. Come back here and post about your experience afterward.

It would be great to have a more fully-functioning mobile Chrome browser; at least we can agree on this point, but we could take bets on when that'll happen.

Again, any limitations of ChromeOS are obviated when the underlying device can run a full Linux OS.

It's OK if ChromeOS isn't for you, but it works perfectly for a lot of us. Furthermore, it's a fine choice as a recommendation for people with limited computing experience: think your grandparents, or an acquaintance that you're willing to assist but can't devote a ton of time for tech support. Would you recommend a Windows machine? Not if Windows isn't absolutely required, for security reasons (ransomware and other malware vulnerability) and because you (or I, at least) don't have the time to help inexperienced users troubleshoot Windows. Would you recommend a Mac? Probably not to an inexperienced user due to expense and knowledge; not only do I not want to have to troubleshoot bullshit Apple products that I'm not even familiar with myself, it would be ludicrous to make a user with limited computing knowledge and needs pay the Apple Tax for no reason. You're certainly not going to tell Grandma to use Linux if she's as technologically limited as this hypothetical implies, however ChromeOS presents the perfect mix of functionality, security, and price. Grandma can log into her account on any ChromeOS device, and her Chromebook is always going to work; even upgrades are seamless. You cannot say the same about any other OS.

You could certainly recommend Android tablets on a case-by-case basis, going back to for example lethial's Dad, but not everyone could get by with just a tablet; for media consumption they're fine, but if they do any substantial data entry they're going to benefit from a laptop form-factor. I mean the Pixel C plus a keyboard is nice, and mostly does what I need to do, but then again there are those sites that don't play well in mobile Chrome and I keep going back to ChromeOS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please stop responding to fishmech.