Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I don't think it's a matter of comparison to the manga so much as a matter of taste. S1 was pretty close to the manga, but this meant it did the usual action adaption thing of draining action scenes of life and momentum with dragged-out movements and lots of talking and reaction shots rather than reworking things to function in the different medium. But a brisker action approach more to my taste would have been much faster and possibly put them in an awkward storytelling place given the longer next arc.

I eyeballed a standard 12/13 episodes as workable for Sports + Stain, so it ballooning to 24 worries me. I'm not even sure the end of term tests would make the material up.

e: And on the other hand I loved the Kaiji anime so maybe it's just the particular way it was done.

Peel fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Mar 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
Hopefully Kirishima v Tetsutetsu is a full ep

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Didn't know that we held cash-in anime adaptations of shounen jump series to such high standards of excellence

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The spot where the anime really shines is the sound design and music. The sound effect they gave One for All is so viscerally satisfying and basically the entire soundtrack is perfect.

The problem I have with the show isn't so much pacing in the broad sense, but a lack of tact in the transition from manga to animation.

Look at the first two episodes. If someone watched episode one and gave up on the franchise it would be hard to blame them because essentially nothing happens. All of the payoff is back loaded into episode 2. It makes sense if you've already read the manga, but as a standalone product it's a bit hard to justify.

Quite a few of the episodes feel like throwaways, even though they're telling what winds up being part of a greater whole story.

Basically having read the manga, I love the anime, but it seems to be treating the manga as a rigid storyboard, which I don't necessarily think is a great thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

On the other hand, they loving nailed "You can be a hero"

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

One of the best things about MHA is the eternal fan art rivalry between Uravity and Baron Explode-a-kill.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Shere posted:

The spot where the anime really shines is the sound design and music. The sound effect they gave One for All is so viscerally satisfying and basically the entire soundtrack is perfect.

The problem I have with the show isn't so much pacing in the broad sense, but a lack of tact in the transition from manga to animation.

Look at the first two episodes. If someone watched episode one and gave up on the franchise it would be hard to blame them because essentially nothing happens. All of the payoff is back loaded into episode 2. It makes sense if you've already read the manga, but as a standalone product it's a bit hard to justify.

Quite a few of the episodes feel like throwaways, even though they're telling what winds up being part of a greater whole story.

Basically having read the manga, I love the anime, but it seems to be treating the manga as a rigid storyboard, which I don't necessarily think is a great thing.
The problem with S1 is that the whole intro is best suited to manga-form if you're going to do a verbatim panel-for-panel cover of it.

I think the problem with the pacing will go away with this season since there's plenty of stuff happening- so long as they block everything well so each episode opens strong and finishes on a good next-episode stinger.

My problem with it being another 12-ep cour if it is, is that there's nothing really at stake in the sports festival outside of pride really and that only matters so a select few. It's excellent character development and tees up the next several arcs perfectly but on its own it doesn't move the plot forward very much.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Eej posted:

Didn't know that we held cash-in anime adaptations of shounen jump series to such high standards of excellence

'Entertaining rather than tedious' is about the minimum standard you can hold a shounen punching show to.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Eej posted:

MHA's adaptation is real good tho

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Waffleman_ posted:

On the other hand, they loving nailed "You can be a hero"

All of the key moments were incredibly well done, honestly. I was hype as gently caress when Deku demolished the building during the combat exam.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

Nuebot posted:

That fight just has one guy pull out new power after new power and throw an endless number of explosive bodies at his opponent until he wins.

Which fight is this?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Crazyeyes posted:

Which fight is this?

The Hisoka fight in the arena, I assume.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
are we going to start deriding anime adaptations for being "cash-ins" like manga is some kind of pure holy medium never artistically compromised in any way because hoo boy do I have some news for you

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
MHA does not at all deserve to be called a cash-in. Take that poo poo to the One Piece thread.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Shere posted:

All of the key moments were incredibly well done, honestly. I was hype as gently caress when Deku demolished the building during the combat exam.

Yeah the first season of BnHA was really well done. The animation was dynamic, and it was well scored too... There's just like one guy in this thread who has some insane opinion about how it wasn't good enough compared to some sort of non-existent standard.

I'm not sure how the 24 ep season is going to be though, I hope they don't drag out the sports festival arc for the whole season, and we get Half Sports Festival and Half Stain or something...

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i mean, the first season of the anime had some pacing issues in places, i dont think criticizing it for that is crazy

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crazyeyes posted:

Which fight is this?

It's Chrollo vs Hisoka and He is wrong anyway

Chrollo shows off the several powers he is going to use during the fight and only uses those powers.

Agnostalgia
Dec 22, 2009
I don't remember the first season very well but there was definitely one episode where I was like "this whole thing could have been 3 minutes in another episode if they didn't insist on including every line from the manga read needlessly slowly."

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Yeah, episode 8 was like one manga chapter for an episode. It sucked, especially with a weekly release.

Heck, the anime works better on a binge, but on the whole I think the first season could probably be condensed to 10 episodes in a One Pace sorta edit. One or two episodes would need to be slight extended run time, but it'd flow a lot better. First two episodes should probably be one episode.

The problems with the anime aren't the fault of the source material or Bones, but just the medium as a whole.

LostRook fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Mar 4, 2017

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Endorph posted:

i mean, the first season of the anime had some pacing issues in places, i dont think criticizing it for that is crazy

It's more that goons like to be hyper-critical of everything for some reason. Nobody's really dismissing criticism so much as pointing out that some of it is kind of hyperbolic. A couple episodes stretched the chapters to fit a 13 episode season, but the bulk of the time I don't think it quite deserves the thrashing it gets from some people.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
When something's as good as MHA's first season, little things like that are all you CAN criticize.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Endorph posted:

People do tend to make it seem like the pacing problems are on the level of original DBZ though.

Also I would like people to actually say why it's pacing was off, instead of saying it just was.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 04:32 on Mar 4, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
MHA's first season is great if you like the series and are a manga reader.

If you aren't, and this is what I've heard from several people who didn't read the manga- it feels pretty slow starting out. I haven't had anyone dislike it, but I've pretty consistently heard that the first season feels pretty slow.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Second season's gonna fix that!

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

I watched the first season before starting the manga and I was perfectly content with the pacing.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

Also I would like people to actually say why it's pacing was off, instead of saying it just was.
you mean like

Agnostalgia posted:

I don't remember the first season very well but there was definitely one episode where I was like "this whole thing could have been 3 minutes in another episode if they didn't insist on including every line from the manga read needlessly slowly."

Fabricated posted:

The problem with S1 is that the whole intro is best suited to manga-form if you're going to do a verbatim panel-for-panel cover of it.

I think the problem with the pacing will go away with this season since there's plenty of stuff happening- so long as they block everything well so each episode opens strong and finishes on a good next-episode stinger.

My problem with it being another 12-ep cour if it is, is that there's nothing really at stake in the sports festival outside of pride really and that only matters so a select few. It's excellent character development and tees up the next several arcs perfectly but on its own it doesn't move the plot forward very much.

Shere posted:

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah people have ADD that makes a lot of sense thank you. I mean if your best criticism is not every scene advances the plot and sometimes episodes have a payoff in the next episode I don't know what to tell you.

CharlestheHammer fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Mar 4, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
no it's actually demonstrably badly paced but thanks for playing

like the reason for it is clearly because they only have 12 episodes and don't want to end the season in an awkward spot but the amount of episodes that are literally just a single chapter is insane

Blockhouse fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Mar 4, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Oh word.

Glad we settled that, by I assume some nerd in a lab coat.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Now look here at 6:43 and you will see ten whole seconds that can be cut, how sad.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think its okay for people to have different opinions on things and there's no need to get defensive when people criticize something

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

That's true especially in regards to others criticism.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Well yeah but there comes a point where you can shrug and say you have a subjective difference of opinion or be kind of jerk about it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Last Celebration posted:

Well yeah but there comes a point where you can shrug and say you have a subjective difference of opinion or be kind of jerk about it.

Well we did have someone claim to be objectively right and it wasn't me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

CharlestheHammer posted:

That's true especially in regards to others criticism.

:whitewater:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

CharlestheHammer posted:

nah you just said they had ADD, because they said stretching a chapter to a whole episode wasn't good, instead.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

CharlestheHammer posted:

All art is subjective, so any legitimate critique of an anime is literally impossible!

(I get what you're saying, but most people accept that there are some things that are generally accepted as being 'objectively' good or bad in media.)

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The pacing was very bad. Literally everything else about it was very good. The pacing for me was at a level where it was impacting the quality as a whole.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

I didn't think everything else about it was 'very good' because everything else about it was the manga and I don't think the manga itself is all that amazing.

But that aside I wonder if the division here correlates with how much shounen fight adaption anime people watch. Because the techniques used are pretty standard, I just don't like them, and I don't watch much of that genre in general. But there's an audience for One Piece, which I consider genuinely unwatchable, and next to that MHAnime goes at rocket speed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I also like that MHA didn't get BONES'd with an anime original ending like quirks being from aliens or time travelers from the future or something