Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Slack is pretty poo poo, but the fact that it can't exist in more than one loving window is beyond a joke. Trying to piece together information from more than one message is a nightmare. Slack UX is dogshit phone-tier garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Slack is pretty poo poo, but the fact that it can't exist in more than one loving window is beyond a joke. Trying to piece together information from more than one message is a nightmare. Slack UX is dogshit phone-tier garbage.

Yeah but how do we get everyone to switch back to IRC?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Opening multiple slack tabs for the same workspace works fine for me?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Plorkyeran posted:

Opening multiple slack tabs for the same workspace works fine for me?

Slack doesn't have tabs

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Maybe you should upgrade to a browser made in the last 20 years? It's a pretty standard feature these days.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

The desktop app doesn’t have tabs.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Ither posted:

If I had to go into the office this would bother me, but since it's 100% remote, I guess I don't really mind. More video game time.

This is a really great way to stunt your professional development and stagnate. If you're early in your career you could be costing yourself a ton over the rest of it. Maybe it's the right call for you, but stopping learning can be a trap it's hard to get yourself out of it you ever want to.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Yeah I was joking around about not doing any work but really I use a lot of downtime to learn new poo poo that's got my eye.

I really do gently caress around a lot too though. Everyone should. 40 hour work week my rear end (I won't work 40 hours)

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

raminasi posted:

This is a really great way to stunt your professional development and stagnate. If you're early in your career you could be costing yourself a ton over the rest of it. Maybe it's the right call for you, but stopping learning can be a trap it's hard to get yourself out of it you ever want to.

Lol no it isn’t and if they are happy with his work output why the gently caress should he do more?

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

kedo posted:

The desktop app doesn’t have tabs.

You don't have to install a separate whitelabeled copy of chrome for each web app you use just because it exists.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Plorkyeran posted:

You don't have to install a separate whitelabeled copy of chrome for each web app you use just because it exists.

It's this, unless they've changed in the last year or two the "app" is just an electron browser app.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Plorkyeran posted:

however, it is quite convenient to do so

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
If you want to manage more browser tabs for your Slack workspaces then I won't stop you, I don't mind the desktop app and even being an Electron app it's not destroying my memory like Discord is for example.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Plorkyeran posted:

lol, okay, but I already have to have a dozen tabs pinned in Chrome for email, project management tools, github, etc, plus however many tabs I need for whatever I’m developing, so is more tabs really a good solution? Sounds like a pain in the rear end.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can just make a separate window.

You know, exactly like you would if you had it in its own off-label instance of Chrome, but you still have all the features like being able to make more tabs.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

redleader posted:

however, it is quite convenient to do so

But why? It's identical to using the webapp in a separate chrome window.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Using separate chrome windows for stuff makes alt tabbing annoying

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Would a 30-day retention window in Slack be a Sarbanes-Oxley compliance problem?

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters
guessing y'all are a bunch of one-chrome-window-only weirdos then

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

E: nvm, misread

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
For me, a browser is for looking stuff up, reading news, things that are transient. I’ll browse the headlines and open each article in a new tab, or search for something and open the results I want to look at in new tabs. Then those tabs close and the browser closes.

For something that is going to run continuously then it needs to be a separate app which has its own taskbar button and doesn’t get lost amongst all the other browser tabs. If something isn’t available as an app then I’ll do the browser app thing so it can still get its own taskbar button and live outside the browser, even though it’s still a browser process.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Would a 30-day retention window in Slack be a Sarbanes-Oxley compliance problem?

Only if you were using it as the only way to transmit information about changes to financial systems. But no one would do that right……..right?

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

beuges posted:

For me, a browser is for looking stuff up, reading news, things that are transient. I’ll browse the headlines and open each article in a new tab, or search for something and open the results I want to look at in new tabs. Then those tabs close and the browser closes.

For something that is going to run continuously then it needs to be a separate app which has its own taskbar button and doesn’t get lost amongst all the other browser tabs. If something isn’t available as an app then I’ll do the browser app thing so it can still get its own taskbar button and live outside the browser, even though it’s still a browser process.
This is exactly the way things should be. This is good. Tooling that is not related to browsing the web should live in its own icon and look like its own process. I don't care if it's actually its own process or not, I just don't want to be able to tab to it when I'm looking at my browser.

mitztronic
Jun 17, 2005

mixcloud.com/mitztronic

redleader posted:

guessing y'all are a bunch of one-chrome-window-only weirdos then

This entire conversation from the tabchat complaints and the prior conversation about notifications are really putting forward and center that a surprising number of engineers are incompetent if not just stupid. These are really simple problems which were solved by design, the same type of design people in this very thread are supposed to be doing. It’s very ironic and disturbing at the same time.

Notifications? How do they work? Are they just a series of tubes?

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo

mitztronic posted:

This entire conversation from the tabchat complaints and the prior conversation about notifications are really putting forward and center that a surprising number of engineers are incompetent if not just stupid. These are really simple problems which were solved by design, the same type of design people in this very thread are supposed to be doing. It’s very ironic and disturbing at the same time.

You didn't discover that engineers are incompetent and/or stupid just by working in development?

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

The company I work at has a three month window and we have to follow SoC, so I would imagine that would be fine.

csammis
Aug 26, 2003

Mental Institution
Working in Development: engineers are incompetent if not just stupid

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

People who add karmabot to Slack/channels are infantile imbeciles
Karmabot-----

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Smugworth posted:

People who add karmabot to Slack/channels are infantile imbeciles
Karmabot-----

I've never heard of this but it looks exactly like the kind of poo poo my new CTO who is clamoring for something "meaningful" to do would implement at my company. :smith:

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

My favorite new bot is the Notion bot that pings a channel whenever anyone makes an edit to a file, no matter how miniscule. One of the PM's for one of the companies I work with loves Notion and spends all day editing files, so you can imagine the results.

FouRPlaY
May 5, 2010

mitztronic posted:

I've often referred to myself as a car mechanic who doesn't know how to drive.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Always fun when someone with the job title that denotes them as a senior web application developer asks what cascading style sheets are. It then turns out that this multi billion dollar company that sells itself as a tech company just copied and pasted all their styles inline from a wiki page rather than making a css library for their applications to share.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

FouRPlaY posted:

I've often referred to myself as a car mechanic who doesn't know how to drive.

I designed a carburetor or two briefly, but mostly my life has been manufacturing window cranks and trailer hitches, and now they've got me doing door locks. Sorry, I cannot tell you how the gently caress to fix the Bluetooth connection in your car.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

kedo posted:

My favorite new bot is the Notion bot that pings a channel whenever anyone makes an edit to a file, no matter how miniscule. One of the PM's for one of the companies I work with loves Notion and spends all day editing files, so you can imagine the results.

That person ends up looking really busy and productive!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Volmarias posted:

I designed a carburetor or two briefly, but mostly my life has been manufacturing window cranks and trailer hitches, and now they've got me doing door locks. Sorry, I cannot tell you how the gently caress to fix the Bluetooth connection in your car.

What about my printer though?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Protocol7 posted:

What about my printer though?

Place the printer under the wheels, put the car in drive, then step on the gas.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Volmarias posted:

Place the printer under the wheels, put the car in drive, then step on the gas.

Safer to put it in reverse with the printer behind the rear wheels.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

This forum is lagging behind the times if you can't just @channel and notify every person subscribed to the thread about your reply. Ideally it would send an email to anyone who has ever read it, but I'd settle for the former.

prom candy
Dec 16, 2005

Only I may dance
Anyone here broken into software dev more recently, or know someone who has? My wife keeps looking at my job with envy and I suggested she give coding a try and see what she thinks. I have no idea what the job market is like for juniors though. She'd definitely have to take a pay cut but she's been in marketing for almost 20 years and it's feeling like the job market there is really drying up and most of what's available either pays peanuts or is an absolute corporate hellscape job or both.

I feel like maybe with the popularity of "just learn to code!" things won't be much better on the bottom rungs of software dev either though.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Take a look at the newbie thread for a sense of what it's like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

eXXon posted:

This forum is lagging behind the times if you can't just @channel and notify every person subscribed to the thread about your reply. Ideally it would send an email to anyone who has ever read it, but I'd settle for the former.

It should also email people who haven't read the thread but it thinks should.