Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Lemming posted:

Why would I care to play a game that is famous for being intentionally boring?

But enough about Fallout 4 VR

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iceaim
May 20, 2001

So what is the difference between what Oculus Dash does than what VR Tool Kit does? VR toolkit lets you make each app have its own window where you can move it around the virtual environment, and it works for both the Vive and the Oculus.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

iceaim posted:

So what is the difference between what Oculus Dash does than what VR Tool Kit does? VR toolkit lets you make each app have its own window where you can move it around the virtual environment, and it works for both the Vive and the Oculus.

Taking a cursory look at VR Tool Box, I think the biggest immediate difference is Oculus Dash will be universal and can be called up at any time during any app. I was watching one of the OC4 talks on it and they even have interesting ways of dealing with the geometry of the dash on top of scene geometry without a trippy cut-out look, or making part of it monoscopic. It also will let you take any windows and pin them into the app you're in, so you could be in tilt brush and fix a window there, be in a elite dangerous and pin youtube, notepad and discord around your ship, a twitch chat if you're streaming or something, etc. Likely the other big difference would just be in the level of polish a big company can put into it over a small dev, I notice the app-as-separate-window feature is still experimental on VR Tool box and that it might turn black.

Not that I'm trying to poo poo on it, this is the first I've heard of it and it looks like a pretty neat virtual desktop program.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

EbolaIvory posted:

You... lie.....

https://www.polygon.com/2016/1/12/10756876/desert-bus-2-vr-oculus-rift-playstation-vr-penn-jillette

Truth. What a wondrous future we live in.

What are the best Oculus ReVive compatible games for a Vive?

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

https://www.polygon.com/2016/1/12/10756876/desert-bus-2-vr-oculus-rift-playstation-vr-penn-jillette

Truth. What a wondrous future we live in.

Echo Arena

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
It's bothersome that Tabletop Simulators' VR mode is basically an afterthought, with a lot of missing or broken features compared to flatscreen and the appearances that the devs have either forgotten or given up on it, because I'm having an amazing time and easily spending hours in game playing with my VR and non-VR buddies.

The sense of scale is really good, rolling dice and shuffling decks is super satisfying with motion controls, and watching VR user's body language is always an amazing experience. We've played Munchkin, Poker, Codenames, Chess, Checkers and Connect 4 and it feels great to sit down and just chill with friends all over the globe and feel like you're there with them, even if half of them are fly-sized cursors throwing dice at you and the others are spooky VR ghosts. Definitely worth the price, but I hope they really give the VR experience a good polishing up someday.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

jubjub64 posted:

I have a teacher from college that is working there. I don't think he would have stuck around if he knew it was a scam.

I mean that's the best kind of thing to stick around for, if you know how it works. They keep raising money and you're getting paid to be an employee for the sake of making the place look legit... you're getting paid to be a cardboard cutout essentially. Then everyone bails with a golden parachute.

The moment you leave is the moment they miss payroll. They'll say "Oh, we need to go two weeks without pay but we'll pull through and we'll pay you in stock" or something, just run at that moment because 95% of the time you'll never see another dime from then out.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

As Lemming mentioned, Echo Arena is great (and only a couple days left of it being free), but theres a lot of great games, depends what you like.

I'd also check out all the free stuff at least:

Lucky's Tale, a mario style platformer
Mission ISS, it's not a game, but a recreation of the ISS. Really well done and worth the experience if you like space.
Herobound is a little zelda sort of styled rpg, dungeons puzzles, etc.
Dragon Front is a card game, which i guess if you're into those hearthstone, mtg, etc stuff you might like it, not really my thing but its well put together.
First contact isn't a game, but if you're showing off VR to someone who hasn't tried it before, I still think its the best intro, vive or rift.
In that same vein, the short films are all free and worth a look: Lost, Henry, Dear Angelica, Miyubi

As far as paid games go:
Lone Echo, I can't recommend enough, really the gold standard in VR for me
The Mage's Tale is still on sale for 50%, and if you like dungeon crawlers its a blast, and easily a 10+ hour game
Robo Recall gets recommended enough, but its earned that, its brilliant pure arcade fun.
Wilson's Heart is a fun interactive horror story, with a great aesthetic. It has some limitations on how the puzzles are super easy, but if you go into it more as a 6-7 hour interactive story I think you'll enjoy it. I loved it.
Witchblood is a cheap little metroidvania side scroller. I think its like, 6 bucks, and maybe a 4 hour game, but its pretty fun.
Chronos gets recommended a lot, and for good reason. You need a gamepad for it, and its a 3rd person action RPG, but don't let that put you off, its the best example of how VR doesn't mean everything has to be first person and almost any genre can still work and be improved with VR.

I've only played through the 3rd level so far, but I'm really enjoying arktika.1. I've know some people have been put off by the teleportation, but its been a fun roomscale game for me. The 3rd level was a blast going on all these moving conveyor belts, having to dodge laser and electrical wires physically in your space, the guns feel nice, lots of different sci fi guns and upgrades, and it looks gorgeous, even if everything feels a bit large.

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

jubjub64 posted:

Well now that I think about it he is on the game development side not the tech dev side. I guess he could be unaware of how far behind it is. He would have some interaction with the tech though.

I mean I could be completely wrong and Magic Leap could be playing the long-game. But considering how long they've been working on their product with nothing to show for it means they're already making new iterations because of "X" reasons.

My personal belief is that right now, there isn't enough computing+battery power to produce an AR headset that doesn't require a 30lbs system attached to your back.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I think the thing that bugs me the most about Magic Leap is just their attitude. They might be a scam, or they might just have some cool demo but be in over their head making it work, or they might have something actually cool. Their whole attitude though... while everyone else in the space has been raising awareness, showing off their stuff, releasing kits, being open, Magic Leap has just remained silent in even the smallest public example. Thats fine if they want to keep it close to their chest, but the problem for me comes when they want it both ways, they try to get as much attention and put themselves out there, making GBS threads on every other tech in the space (i think at one point they claimed VR would give you vision problems), while at the same time showing NOTHING. Add to that the fake videos they released, their absolutely insulting (even for a TED talk) TED talk, and on and on.

Either keep quiet and come out with something, or be open. Don't be that annoying kid teasing and teasing and teasing people over something that may or may not be true without ever saying what it is, its obnoxious as gently caress, but more than that they're setting themselves up for failure. At this point if they release anything less than groundbreaking, like, if they just release a hololens with a little better FOV, they are going to look like idiots.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
They are going to get ~leaped~ over as the industry snaps past their (real or imagined) tech. This poo poo happens all the time and isn't going to stop happening in VR.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Thor-Stryker posted:

My personal belief is that right now, there isn't enough computing+battery power to produce an AR headset that doesn't require a 30lbs system attached to your back.
I don't see how you can say that, say what you want about Hololens but it works, ARKit/ARCore and Tango do convincing AR on phones, the first two doing it totally optically with no additional sensors. The main problem right now (and why Hololens sucks) isn't computing power, its optics, its physically hard if not impossible to make a full FoV AR HMD right now, and there's also the opacity problem.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

Taking a cursory look at VR Tool Box, I think the biggest immediate difference is Oculus Dash will be universal and can be called up at any time during any app. I was watching one of the OC4 talks on it and they even have interesting ways of dealing with the geometry of the dash on top of scene geometry without a trippy cut-out look, or making part of it monoscopic. It also will let you take any windows and pin them into the app you're in, so you could be in tilt brush and fix a window there, be in a elite dangerous and pin youtube, notepad and discord around your ship, a twitch chat if you're streaming or something, etc. Likely the other big difference would just be in the level of polish a big company can put into it over a small dev, I notice the app-as-separate-window feature is still experimental on VR Tool box and that it might turn black.

Not that I'm trying to poo poo on it, this is the first I've heard of it and it looks like a pretty neat virtual desktop program.

Too bad SteamVR doesn't have anything similar.

Did any of you guys try the PUBG mode in Bullets and More? Lemming was absolutely dominating in it today.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

iceaim posted:

Did any of you guys try the PUBG mode in Bullets and More? Lemming was absolutely dominating in it today.

I just discovered it last night and I can’t stop playing. It’s rough but it’s really really fun.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I had a look at one of the videos of the PUBG-alike mode in BAM and man does it look super cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCIKCPN30OA

How is BAM as a game? I heard it's got a lot of variety but compared to the other big online shooters (Pavlov and Onward) it's even more rough around the edges. Does it have much in the way of co-op or smaller scale pvp? I have two other friends who have VR and being able to play as a cooperative team vs AI or in free for all against each other would be ideal. Pavlov and Onward don't really offer that - Onward's Operations mode is great but kind of limited currently.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

iceaim posted:

Lol I wouldn't quite say dominating, I had a few good rounds then the Onward pros came in and started rolling

It's pretty fun, but a big downside is it's missing the "start a new game as soon as you die" aspect of pubg. Really makes it drag sometimes

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

Lemming posted:

Lol I wouldn't quite say dominating, I had a few good rounds then the Onward pros came in and started rolling

It's pretty fun, but a big downside is it's missing the "start a new game as soon as you die" aspect of pubg. Really makes it drag sometimes

Yeah but the spectator mode and poo poo talk open comms are great fun and with a max of 12 doesn’t take that long.
Seriously though the spectator mode in BAM Royal is amazing.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
Yeah it is good, I especially like that you can change the scale to make everyone super tiny

I'm just really impatient is all

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

homeless snail posted:

I don't see how you can say that, say what you want about Hololens but it works, ARKit/ARCore and Tango do convincing AR on phones, the first two doing it totally optically with no additional sensors. The main problem right now (and why Hololens sucks) isn't computing power, its optics, its physically hard if not impossible to make a full FoV AR HMD right now, and there's also the opacity problem.

Hololens is coming out the gate with bad battery life and small fov. Most of the AR phone work I've seen is basic 'table' rendering in low detail.
There's nothing similar to the fake video Magic Leap posted with high-poly aliens popping up in the office and using your 3d gun that isn't actually in your hand to shoot them.

I can believe optics is one of the many facets holding back AR, but computing and battery power are still an issue considering how janky the low-poly demos have been for current AR, and the fact that no one's made an effective standalone AR headset yet.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

rage-saq posted:

Yeah but the spectator mode and poo poo talk open comms are great fun and with a max of 12 doesn’t take that long.
Seriously though the spectator mode in BAM Royal is amazing.

What does BAM stand for? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Edit - I can’t read. How new is this?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Isn't magic leap the one where you have to have that grey sheet of retro-reflective material that the scene is projected onto? Seems a bit presumptuous to make concept videos where it works anywhere.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

No that was CastAR, they went out of business. Too bad cause that one was probably the AR headset that was most likely to ship a functional product.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Warbird posted:

What does BAM stand for? This is the first I’ve heard of it.

Edit - I can’t read. How new is this?

The Royal addon is new.
The game is not.

Try out the demo.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/525640/Bullets_And_More_VR__BAM_VR/

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Thor-Stryker posted:

Hololens is coming out the gate with bad battery life and small fov. Most of the AR phone work I've seen is basic 'table' rendering in low detail.
There's nothing similar to the fake video Magic Leap posted with high-poly aliens popping up in the office and using your 3d gun that isn't actually in your hand to shoot them.

I don't get AR demos that show poo poo like this (seen a similar hololens one). If I'm going to be fighting robots, I don't want to be in my filthy lounge room with tanks somehow smashing through the wall of my 2nd story apartment, or shooting bugs crawling over my couch. Robot Recall already exists and is literally way more fun than that looks like it could ever be.

AR should stick to showing off productivity and communications stuff, games will most of the time be more suited to VR, where you are wholly transported there, forgetting your surroundings in favour of immersion.

Also the vague, annoying teaser bullshit that Magic Leap has dribbled out seems to suggest it's about shooting images into your eyeballs instead of projecting them onto a screen. From what I remember, though I don't care to remember that much. Totally agreed that they are a really irritating company at the moment.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Chadzok posted:

I don't get AR demos that show poo poo like this (seen a similar hololens one). If I'm going to be fighting robots, I don't want to be in my filthy lounge room with tanks somehow smashing through the wall of my 2nd story apartment, or shooting bugs crawling over my couch. Robot Recall already exists and is literally way more fun than that looks like it could ever be.

AR should stick to showing off productivity and communications stuff, games will most of the time be more suited to VR, where you are wholly transported there, forgetting your surroundings in favour of immersion.

Also the vague, annoying teaser bullshit that Magic Leap has dribbled out seems to suggest it's about shooting images into your eyeballs instead of projecting them onto a screen. From what I remember, though I don't care to remember that much. Totally agreed that they are a really irritating company at the moment.

Yeah I have to agree here with the whole hololense AR stuff.

I will say, It would be nice if games and poo poo knew my actual place space, and could use that a bit more effectively when "moving" around a level. Less clipping, less 1/2 my play space being stuck inside a wall somewhere. Would be cool if it knew it was a wall and gave me a place to "lean" in a shooter game. Make me walk around a little more in roomscale. That kind of AR would be fantastic. But the whole making me look at my actual walls and poo poo? Yawn.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

The Royal addon is new.
The game is not.

Try out the demo.

BAM Royal is so good. I've played it a lot the past two nights with some fellow goons and a lot of Onward regulars, its so fun.
I don't know if I'm going to get a kill that feels as good as sneaking up on someone with dual PPSh-41 guns and wasting them from behind in a surge of murderous glory.

Though, Lemming popping some guy with the impossible to use RPG is going to be pretty tough to beat.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 09:35 on Oct 16, 2017

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

rage-saq posted:

BAM Royal is so good. I've played it a lot the past two nights with some fellow goons and a lot of Onward regulars, its so fun.
I don't know if I'm going to get a kill that feels as good as sneaking up on someone with dual tommy guns and wasting them from behind in a surge of murderous glory.

Though, Lemming popping some guy with the impossible to use RPG is going to be pretty tough to beat.

Will I ever get used to how the game feels though? Onward, Pavlov (mostly), I got used to. the BAM demo I just cant get used to it.

Is the demo maybe enough versions behind its just not as good as the live one these days?

I feel like such a hater, It gets such good reviews and ive installed the demo like 5 times. :(

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

wow that making people little and spectating feature is amazing. I think I'm about to spend money.

I actually feel like not enough games take advantage of the fact that scale in VR is potentially totally flexible. I still haven't seen anyone do the 'pinch the whole world with controllers and change scale' ipad-style. Probably a pretty resource heavy process.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 09:32 on Oct 16, 2017

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Chadzok posted:

I generally agree, but I can think of a few things that would be really awesome with good AR. A non gimmicky pokemon go, a secret world thing where parts of some other realm are bleeding into the real world, a 'They Live' game, an x-files game that you're having to explore around town finding strange creatures and aliens, lots of ARG style games I think. Yeah, 90% of the time you're going to be wanting a totally virtual world, but I can see a few cases that would be neat, but they're not going to involve sitting in your house watching poo poo come out of your walls like the magic leap demo, or that hololens game.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...

EbolaIvory posted:

Will I ever get used to how the game feels though? Onward, Pavlov (mostly), I got used to. the BAM demo I just cant get used to it.

Is the demo maybe enough versions behind its just not as good as the live one these days?

I feel like such a hater, It gets such good reviews and ive installed the demo like 5 times. :(

I got used to it after the 2nd night, but it doesn't quite feel as solid as Onward. The dev and the people who help move it along are looking into ways to streamline it, so maybe it will get easier. I haven't played the demo, I just heard so many Onward regulars say that this was PUBG in VR and it was good I just bought it and I haven't been disappointed in it, I've even been playing it without my protube because I smacked it the wrong way playing Tales of Glory and need to get a new cup. I can't wait to get my stock repaired and start nailing ironsight shots that I know I'm missing right now.

Chadzok posted:

wow that making people little and spectating feature is amazing. I think I'm about to spend money.

I actually feel like not enough games take advantage of the fact that scale in VR is potentially totally flexible. I still haven't seen anyone do the 'pinch the whole world with controllers and change scale' ipad-style. Probably a pretty resource heavy process.

I know I've said it like 3 times on the previous page but the spectator mode in BAM Royal is a masterpiece, its so loving good and fun every game needs to have it. The super giant mode (15x scale) maintains the detail so well and seeing the people run around with their little guns is just a pure pleasure. I want to just pick up the little soldiers and pet them on the head and tell them how proud I am of them shooting their little guns at the other little guys.

rage-saq fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Oct 16, 2017

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

rage-saq posted:

I don't know if I'm going to get a kill that feels as good as sneaking up on someone with dual PPSh-41 guns and wasting them from behind in a surge of murderous glory.

Lmao that was sick, here's the first person https://clips.twitch.tv/SaltyAstuteFiddleheadsEleGiggle

It was a total luck shot haha

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Lemming posted:

Lmao that was sick, here's the first person https://clips.twitch.tv/SaltyAstuteFiddleheadsEleGiggle

It was a total luck shot haha

Haha that was really good. Damnit im about sold. Worst case I guess I refund the poo poo if I cant get used to it. I really need to be more social in VR anyways. Guess im gonna have to buy it tomorrow/later.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Chadzok posted:

I still haven't seen anyone do the 'pinch the whole world with controllers and change scale' ipad-style. Probably a pretty resource heavy process.

Fantastic Contraption on PSVR does this to compensate for the platform's lack of roomscale in a game that was designed around it originally. It's clunky but fixable.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Chadzok posted:

Tabletop simulator uses the pinch thing to change scale

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Chadzok posted:

It doesn't sound too hard to implement. I wish SteamVR Home had it as an option.

iceaim
May 20, 2001

Songbearer posted:

I had a look at one of the videos of the PUBG-alike mode in BAM and man does it look super cool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCIKCPN30OA

How is BAM as a game? I heard it's got a lot of variety but compared to the other big online shooters (Pavlov and Onward) it's even more rough around the edges. Does it have much in the way of co-op or smaller scale pvp? I have two other friends who have VR and being able to play as a cooperative team vs AI or in free for all against each other would be ideal. Pavlov and Onward don't really offer that - Onward's Operations mode is great but kind of limited currently.

BAM as a game is fantastic. There are so many modes, weapons, and maps. As far as co-op goes, you can setup a team deathmatch game with your friends and fight the AI or a free for all. BAM is really flexible and you get a huge bang for your buck. There's even some single player campaigns I haven't even touched yet because I've been playing it online non stop since March. I also own Onward and Pavlov and I rank BAM right up there with these two shooters, especially now with the PUBG mode. I feel BAM really compliments Onward and Pavlov in my library well.

BAM used to have some of the lowest player counts among VR FPSes, but even with the lower player counts there was always a game happening in the evening eastern standard time (which is the morning for me, but I don't mind since I work from home anyway). However the low player count issue as essentially been solved with the new PUBG mode. Yesterday the player count peaked to 71 players!

iceaim fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 16, 2017

iceaim
May 20, 2001

EbolaIvory posted:

The Royal addon is new.
The game is not.

Try out the demo.

Just an FYI the demo is no longer compatible with the full game because of out dated netcode. It doesn't have the PUBG mode and it may have low player count due to lack of cross play with the full version.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

PerrineClostermann posted:

Tabletop simulator uses the pinch thing to change scale

Tabletop sim also has some of the worst VR controls ever. Don't get me wrong its lovely they added VR support considering what a small fraction of their users that must be, but they really need to sit down and implement sane VR controls at some point.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I had a sensible chuckle and I hope you do as well.

https://twitter.com/DetroitQSpider/status/919979588893130752

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Groverhaus was eligible for FEMA money as soon as construction finished.