Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Firevan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
:piss:

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
The flame-mobile

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

DrBouvenstein posted:

I regret to inform you Fred Durst has entered his Cowboy Phase:

I would see the gently caress out of him on tour with Darius Rucker.

Hootie and the chocolate starfish ‘24 lets fuckin do this🤘🏼🤘🏼

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

I was going to be a cowboy for Halloween this year, now I am not so sure. I thought it would look cool, but if Fred Durst can't pull it off there is no way I can.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Everyone wants to dress up as a cowboy because it speaks to the primal urge in all humans to be the last great America archetype

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I just assume all 90's alternative/nu-metal singers are lovely people and am pleasantly surprised when they're not.

Though I think that list of non-lovely people is like Trent Reznor and that's it.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

That's how I feel about anything goth.

Bauhaus are full of horrible people? Yeah I'm not surprised.

Or straight edge punk. It's just two steps to nazi incel. I can't imagine all the horrible fucks Fugazi had to encounter and suffer through and just be like nah man I don't hate the Jews I just don't drink

unfinite crisis
Sep 14, 2004

I used to work the bar at a private spot in Los Angeles. We would open for the Superbowl but never expect much turnout so we treated it like a little party for ourselves.

I was pretty buzzed and joined some people for a joint out back which I normally wouldn't do at work because the crossbuzz gets me ripped. We're back inside and I'm facing the backbar because I got the kitchen to make us a ton of food. My friend says "you remember Fred Durst?" and my dumbass goes "Hell yeah! Motherfucking Limp BIZKIT!"

My friends eyes turn the size of grapefruits. I immediately knew why. Turned around and I lock eyes with Fred who is 5 feet in front of me looking for a drink.

He was really cool about it.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

DrBouvenstein posted:

I regret to inform you Fred Durst has entered his Cowboy Phase:

Hello yes please look at these pictures while you listen to this thing I made: https://whyp.it/tracks/130098/just-one-of-those-days-yall?token=KgNC9

There's a cat on my lap so a raw recording is all I got for you. Never used this site before either so let me know if there's a better place where I can upload audio from my phone.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/NNBLpDp.mp4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

kiimo posted:

That's how I feel about anything goth.

Bauhaus are full of horrible people? Yeah I'm not surprised.

Or straight edge punk. It's just two steps to nazi incel. I can't imagine all the horrible fucks Fugazi had to encounter and suffer through and just be like nah man I don't hate the Jews I just don't drink

I think Ian got so loving sick of straight edge assholes that he gave up the edge.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

kiimo posted:

I don't see the Nazi connection. Most straight edge hardcore bands were moralistic in a sense, but they were also usually apolitical, more concerned with singing about the power of friendship and things like that. Can't really pin them down as belonging to a particular ideology beyond the straight edge ethos itself. Of all its offshoots, I think few were explicitly right-wing.

That's not to say there were no eyebrow-raising bands. Youth of Today's Ray Cappo would go on to form Shelter, a self-proclaimed krishnacore band turning hardcore 'positivity' up to 11 and fusing it with spirituality:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUXfBRCWiYc

I've always kind of liked Shelter, they're just so wholesome

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

I don't see the Nazi connection.

Lol

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.

Phlegmish posted:

I don't see the Nazi connection.

You then have to ask why is it that "Nazi Punks gently caress Off" had to be written in the first place.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I guess that's fair. I was looking at it from the perspective of the bands themselves, but it's true that there must have been a lot of lovely 'fans'.

Still better than black metal where a bunch of the bands are explicitly Nazi

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

Phlegmish posted:

I guess that's fair. I was looking at it from the perspective of the bands themselves, but it's true that there must have been a lot of lovely 'fans'.

Still better than black metal where a bunch of the bands are explicitly Nazi

...there are explicitly Nazi punk bands.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I assumed they meant Nazi straightedge bands.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

I did Nazi this derail coming

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Can't wait for Fred Durst to be interviewed by Sean Hannity before the end of the year.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009

Blue Footed Booby posted:

...there are explicitly Nazi punk bands.

A lot of them. Straightedge has been associated with white nationalism since at least 1987

Boston's hardcore scene has switched between straightedge and straight up selling large amounts of H for decades, sometimes in the same week, and anytime you're chasing Amy you're bound to spend time with some extremely unsavory characters like the AB or skinheads that aren't focused on positivity and inclusion

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Baron von Eevl posted:

I think Ian got so loving sick of straight edge assholes that he gave up the edge.

Someone did an interview where they said something about how straight edge came about because they were sick of the drunks picking fights and ruining shows only for the straight edge kids to become the thing they hated (picking fights and ruining shows). Don't remember if it was Ian or someone else but that was the gist of it and it was so true in the 90's. The positive edge types were around, but they were drowned out by the violence of the rest. Also some states were worse than others. Ohio and Utah were two of the worst (as far as I remember).

Soul Dentist posted:

A lot of them. Straightedge has been associated with white nationalism since at least 1987

Boston's hardcore scene has switched between straightedge and straight up selling large amounts of H for decades, sometimes in the same week, and anytime you're chasing Amy you're bound to spend time with some extremely unsavory characters like the AB or skinheads that aren't focused on positivity and inclusion

Saw quite a few people go from sXe to Hammer skins...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Fred Durst is funny as hell and I really hope this is him doing a bit. He hasn't shown any tendency to be a chud yet, hope it stays that way.

I mean the "meathead in a red ballcap" look did kind of get co-opted out from under him

E: I still think his mission impossible song was fun, I don't give a gently caress

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Phy posted:

I mean the "meathead in a red ballcap" look did kind of get co-opted out from under him

That's a good point. I hope this is him going "Oh, taking red caps from me, will you? Two can play that game!"

Codependent Poster posted:

I just assume all 90's alternative/nu-metal singers are lovely people and am pleasantly surprised when they're not.

Though I think that list of non-lovely people is like Trent Reznor and that's it.

The Insane Clown Posse, while kinda doofy, are supposedly solidly decent people. There was a thing about one of the singers openly supporting his furry daughter, it was very :3:

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Grendels Dad posted:

That's a good point. I hope this is him going "Oh, taking red caps from me, will you? Two can play that game!"

The Insane Clown Posse, while kinda doofy, are supposedly solidly decent people. There was a thing about one of the singers openly supporting his furry daughter, it was very :3:

https://youtu.be/HNSBIMLs96M?si=tFWYzZNpc-FIhZne

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

Hello yes please look at these pictures while you listen to this thing I made: https://whyp.it/tracks/130098/just-one-of-those-days-yall?token=KgNC9

There's a cat on my lap so a raw recording is all I got for you. Never used this site before either so let me know if there's a better place where I can upload audio from my phone.

:golfclap:

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Grendels Dad posted:

ICP are capable of learning and admitting when they're wrong which is such a rare talent that it sets them head and shoulders above the rest.

central dogma
Feb 25, 2012

Come to the Undead Settlement in the next 20 mins if u want an ash kicking
Kirk Cameron is 53 today. Wonder if he got another subway party.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Limp Bizkit was pretty goofy at the time and they knew it, which I appreciate now. Their last album is called Still Sucks.
I'd forgotten the mission impossible song. That was silly.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Mission: Impossible 2 was incredibly late-stage 90's even though it came out in 2000. Too bad John Woo followed that up with Windtalkers.

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

central dogma posted:

You know, I always thought this picture was taken in an office. But no, that's a home. Or a house at least.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat
church

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Antioch posted:

You know, I always thought this picture was taken in an office. But no, that's a home. Or a house at least.

Nah, 100% a small American Church.

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Church offices for sure, maybe a synod.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Android Apocalypse posted:

Mission: Impossible 2 was incredibly late-stage 90's even though it came out in 2000. Too bad John Woo followed that up with Windtalkers.

The last day of the 90s was September 10th, 2001

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

canyoneer posted:

He looks like a store-brand Pedro Pascal.

Publix Pascal

Oh man publix brand is probably better than most name brands

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

central dogma posted:

I always love this picture. The women standing awkwardly far away from him, one half obscured by the door, the pathetic little cake in plastic, the Subway sandwiches. It tells a strange tale.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

oldpainless posted:

Everyone wants to dress up as a cowboy because it speaks to the primal urge in all humans to be the last great America archetype

...the gangster?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

central dogma posted:

That looks so much like someone just grabbed Grandma's table from the dining room (that she only uses for easter, thanksgiving and xmas) and dropped it in an office.

Antioch posted:

A dawning realization told in two posts