Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Any of you Aussie film shooters have any 8x10 b&w film you can get to me by next Thursday before I ship out to the ice? I can't find any in Oz. Or if you could point me to anyone...
Shoot me a pm..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

Any of you Aussie film shooters have any 8x10 b&w film you can get to me by next Thursday before I ship out to the ice? I can't find any in Oz. Or if you could point me to anyone...
Shoot me a pm..

Adorama in the US will do UPS Worldwide to Australia, which supposedly is promised in 2-3 days for Asia (assume Australia's included in there), although it's $66 to send just one 25-pack of film. Doesn't get much more expensive as you add more, at least.

I checked Freestyle since they've got that really cheap Arista EDU stuff, but they just offer Priority International, which is 6-10 days. If there was a Dorkroomer in LA that could buy it for you then put it in the mail, they could send it Global Express (USPS).

I'd offer to pick some up for you and send it Global Express at cost, but I'm pretty sure my local camera shop doesn't stock it.

edit: a few international sellers on eBay that offer expedited shipping. Here's some Acros 100 from Japan... I don't like the 1-5 business days to process, but EMS takes a max of 3 days.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 20, 2014

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

VomitOnLino posted:

Possible Portra 400 (120/220 format) PSA

Recently I'm getting rolls back from various labs (three so far) that have either deformed (looks like it was pinched by rollers) emulsion or scratched emulsion. The deformation is visible to the naked eye and happened with two labs and two entirely different cameras. The scratches are incredibly fine and only visible when scanned at 3200dpi+.

Now normally I'd just blame the lab and move on, but these rolls all have one thing in common. They're out of the newest Portra 400 pro packs which also have other anomalies:
  • The backing paper is misprinted, it has white borders along the top and bottom of the roll, in some casesjust the top or bottom
  • The orange band holding together the unexposed roll is a visibly different colour then before and also different from the backing paper
  • The developed film appears curlier (across not alongside) than before
  • The developed film has what I assume is a batch serial imprinted on its edge. If you look closely you can see it was added post production. It has different density than the edge markings.

All the pro packs this film came from have a 10/2016 or later expiry date. FWIW I bought an older pack, went back with the same cameras and labs and had no more problems. Stocking up on the older packs now.

Here's to hoping it's just a batch issue, and not the bean counters finally starting to squeeze out more profits of a shrinking market.
*checks half-used box of Portra 400 120*
Motherfucker. 10/16

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Sludge Tank posted:

Shoot me a pm..

Get some X-ray film on a emergency? Not ideal, but better than nothing.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I was hoping for something in the 400iso range, and within Oz. Dem international shipping fees are a killer.

E: taking a chance with adorama. 50 sheets of hp5 only cost $50 more than foma200 from blanco negro with shipping. Fingers crossed...

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Nov 20, 2014

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Have you tried Vanbars in Melbourne? I know I've seen 8x10 film in their fridge, and I'm guessing at eye watering prices.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Yeah they only had that r3 stuff which was pretty expensive. Hopefully the Adorama shws up in time. People seem to be saying most orders take less than a week to AU.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Sludge Tank posted:

Yeah they only had that r3 stuff which was pretty expensive. Hopefully the Adorama shws up in time. People seem to be saying most orders take less than a week to AU.

I can't help right now because I'm in the middle of a horrendous week of night shifts at work but in the future keep me in mind for emergency LF film proxying. My local store has 8x10 HP5+ for like $98 a box and I'm in Seattle so shipping isn't too long (ask Baron Dirigible for actual estimate, I sold him a lens last year).

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Don't tell me these things or else i'll start hassling the poo poo out of you for bulk sheet film.
The australia tax sucks.
Thanks for the offer, i'll definitely take you up on that when I get back mid next year.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just saw on facebook that B&H now offers DHL worldwide shipping to Australia which apparently is heaps cheaper than UPS.
Good news for us Aussies at least :)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007
My bags will likely be pretty full coming over to Tasmania, but normally I get Amazon/eBay packages consolidated and sent over to me by my parents or sister a couple times a year when I'm abroad, don't mind piggybacking film off it for ya.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Those shipping prices are a lot nicer than they used to be, also Freestyle introduced much cheaper international shipping not too long ago as well.

The "Australia tax" is a very real thing you'll have to deal with when you move down here Pompus, even government agencies support consumers using tricks to get around it.

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Sludge Tank posted:

Just saw on facebook that B&H now offers DHL worldwide shipping to Australia which apparently is heaps cheaper than UPS.
Just checked this out and it seems good for up to 14 boxes of 4x5, topping out at about $36. Not bad at all! 8-10 days would be terrible for emergency supplies, though...

While this is the Aussie film shipping megathread: Have any of you used the ShopMate thing AusPost are spruiking? Seems a pretty good option for bundling packages and the prices seem competitive. I've never bothered with other proxy services so maybe there's a much better deal / huge problem I'm missing.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Baron Dirigible posted:

Just checked this out and it seems good for up to 14 boxes of 4x5, topping out at about $36. Not bad at all! 8-10 days would be terrible for emergency supplies, though...

While this is the Aussie film shipping megathread: Have any of you used the ShopMate thing AusPost are spruiking? Seems a pretty good option for bundling packages and the prices seem competitive. I've never bothered with other proxy services so maybe there's a much better deal / huge problem I'm missing.

I've used proxy services (to Brazil mind you) twice and didn't find it really worth the effort. They usually take more time and you can't count on luck/declaring as gift to avoid taxes, so only really useful for buying from sellers that don't ship internationally...

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

Those shipping prices are a lot nicer than they used to be, also Freestyle introduced much cheaper international shipping not too long ago as well.

The "Australia tax" is a very real thing you'll have to deal with when you move down here Pompus, even government agencies support consumers using tricks to get around it.

Oh, I know... I studied in Perth ten years ago. I loved that article about how it's cheaper to buy a RT plane ticket from Sydney to LA, walk into a retail store and buy Adobe Creative Suite and pay sales tax, and fly back, than it is to buy online in Australia. Having family back in the US I can bounce stuff off of, and a US credit card/billing address will probably help me out nicely.

What do you guys usually pay to develop C-41/E-6 120? To be honest I've been thinking of getting out of film for a while anyways, even with importing my own stuff there are still ways to get nickel-and-dimed. I bought a C-41 kit and tried my own in Japan, just getting to the scanning now. Results were... mixed :-\

Primo Itch posted:

I've used proxy services (to Brazil mind you) twice and didn't find it really worth the effort. They usually take more time and you can't count on luck/declaring as gift to avoid taxes, so only really useful for buying from sellers that don't ship internationally...

In Australia I think you get up to AU$1000 duty-free, so I think it's easier to get around.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

I'm from Perth originally, finished my undergrad about 10 years ago too at UWA. But since the mining boom Perth has got stupid expensive, the was an article a few months ago about an American academic who was offered a $170k a year position and decided not to move over, he realised where he could afford to live in the city and went "gently caress that".

But as for chemicals, I've used the Rollei kits from Macodirect, the concentrates last for ages so you can slowly work your way through a big kit, and I've also got good results from the Tetenal powder kits from B&H that are a reasonable price. I don't know what the lab situation is like in Tassie, but I think there are some hipster kids in Melbourne who are processing film for semi-reasonable prices that might do mail outs.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Spedman posted:

I'm from Perth originally, finished my undergrad about 10 years ago too at UWA. But since the mining boom Perth has got stupid expensive, the was an article a few months ago about an American academic who was offered a $170k a year position and decided not to move over, he realised where he could afford to live in the city and went "gently caress that".

But as for chemicals, I've used the Rollei kits from Macodirect, the concentrates last for ages so you can slowly work your way through a big kit, and I've also got good results from the Tetenal powder kits from B&H that are a reasonable price. I don't know what the lab situation is like in Tassie, but I think there are some hipster kids in Melbourne who are processing film for semi-reasonable prices that might do mail outs.

Ah yeah? Speaking of poo poo areas to live in Perth, I was at ECU's Joondalup campus. Got no briefing from my home uni (or ECU, for that matter) about what a terrible area that is, just kinda figured it out for myself when several mates were beaten/mugged walking home from the pub. Got mugged myself in broad daylight at the edge of campus right before I was leaving for Southeast Asia, had to delay my flight so I could get a new charge card and stuff rushed to me from the US. Still got a small scar on my face from where the stitches were. :australia:

For B&W I use HC-110, which Google is telling me Kodak no longer sells there. When I was in Japan a friend an I ran into the same situation, wound up importing four bottles of it from B&H between the two of us, I wound up with all 4 when he left... didn't even get through one with Dilution H :v: Will add a bottle to my packing list if I do decide to stick with the Hassie, thanks for the reminder!

The colour kit I had was the Naniwa one, which I found some stuff about in English on Flickr. The company discontinued it while I was there (effectively meaning the end of home C-41 processing in Japan AFAIK). It could easily have been my lovely technique, thought I was doing OK with the water bath temp at least though (had a deep Japanese-style tub I used). Now that I've got a sous-vide rig I should be able to be even more consistent.

It occurred to me Hobart may very well not have a place to process colour 120 film, if I'm mailing out, I wonder if it might be cheaper to just send it to a cheap place in the US. I'm seldom in a rush, at least.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer

Sludge Tank posted:

it also looks like they either added Purolator for Canadian shipping options, or made it cheaper. You still need to pay over twice the shipping amount for customs clearance, but it still comes out a lot cheaper than it used to. A box of portra ships for $51 which is still cheaper than buying it locally. And of course adding extra boxes only increases the price by a little bit.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Pompous Rhombus posted:

It occurred to me Hobart may very well not have a place to process colour 120 film, if I'm mailing out, I wonder if it might be cheaper to just send it to a cheap place in the US. I'm seldom in a rush, at least.
I didn't try to get any film processed while I was in Hobart, but I had prints made for the print exchange at a little place downtown in the CBD, I'll try to work out the name of the shop - they had a big old Kodak sign over the door. Worth a look, anyways, they seemed like a place that at least until recently was a pro camera shop and the employees were good to me.

EDIT: Browsing Hobart on google maps is making me nostalgic. I had a great time in Tassie. Anyway, name of the place is Perfect Prints, on Collins street between Elizabeth and Murray. Even if they don't do film processing, get some prints made there, they really did do right by me. Their website doesn't talk about film, so it's probably a long shot, but they might know about other local stores that could help you.

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Nov 20, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Perfect Prints on Collins St in Hobart processes C-41 only. They send b/w to a dude to develop in his home lab and I think they post E-6 to Michaels in Melbourne at extra cost (better to do it yourself)

This was a year ago I got some rolls done there so things might hAve changed since.

I think they did 10ish rolls of c-41 and ok-res scans for me for about $140. In any case I remember it being cheaper than Michaels (which has gone up in price recently)

Sludge Tank fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 20, 2014

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Portra is the light.

Audrey by mattphilpott, on Flickr

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Pompous Rhombus posted:

What do you guys usually pay to develop C-41/E-6 120? To be honest I've been thinking of getting out of film for a while anyways, even with importing my own stuff there are still ways to get nickel-and-dimed. I bought a C-41 kit and tried my own in Japan, just getting to the scanning now. Results were... mixed :-\

Spedman posted:

Yeah I want to give a plug to those hipster in Melbourne Hillvale. I just moved back to Toowoomba, which obviously doesn't have any labs, sent eight rolls to Hillvale, it's 8 bucks a roll dev only, they did a really good job on mine no dust or scratches, well sleeved. I opted to pay a bit more and get some scans,there weirdly trusting enough to send me back just the negatives before I've even paid anything. I also think it's pretty cool that they do foster a bit of community, promote some of their regulars, it's easy to rag on hipsters but these guys seem to be doing it for the right reasons. That sounds a bit fawning, I just wish there was something like that in Brisbane.

Haught fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Nov 20, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

What's the quality like on the scans? I'm thinking I need to get off my arse and set up a proper portfolio site, so if they're anything better than what I can do with my V700 (hint: I suck at scanning) I might be interested.

Also Michaels is the most expensive place in the world.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Michaels is just taking the piss now. I'll never set foot in there again.

Haught
Jan 18, 2009

Still waiting on the scans(weirdly) at the moment but I'm not expecting miracles, They just use a frontier I think, so better than a v700 but nothing amazing. I just don't have much spare time and my old 4990 has super grotty/scratched glass, which makes spotting take forever.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Ah yeah? Speaking of poo poo areas to live in Perth, I was at ECU's Joondalup campus. Got no briefing from my home uni (or ECU, for that matter) about what a terrible area that is, just kinda figured it out for myself when several mates were beaten/mugged walking home from the pub. Got mugged myself in broad daylight at the edge of campus right before I was leaving for Southeast Asia, had to delay my flight so I could get a new charge card and stuff rushed to me from the US. Still got a small scar on my face from where the stitches were. :australia:

For B&W I use HC-110, which Google is telling me Kodak no longer sells there. When I was in Japan a friend an I ran into the same situation, wound up importing four bottles of it from B&H between the two of us, I wound up with all 4 when he left... didn't even get through one with Dilution H :v: Will add a bottle to my packing list if I do decide to stick with the Hassie, thanks for the reminder!

Thats terrible about getting mugged, Joondalup and ECU are both horrible places.

I used to live in Kallaroo, not too far from Joondalup, and I used to go to the GBT on a Friday night for a quiet drink with a mate before it would get too rowdy. I remember there being a guy who got killed out the front by some angry drunk in a car, and wouldd also regularly hear about stabbings. Just lots of dumb angry suburban kids getting drunk and being the terrible people they are. Yay Perth (a place I'll never call home again).

I was told by the main guy at Vanbars (big photography shop in Melb) that Kodak flat out don't make HC-110 anymore. I then went and had a look at Freestyle and Macodirect who both have it in stock, what a dick.

Sludge Tank posted:

Michaels is just taking the piss now. I'll never set foot in there again.

Baron Dirigible posted:

Also Michaels is the most expensive place in the world.

I nearly laughed at them when I was walking passed on day and on a whim I decided to see if they had any Ilford SFX, and they did, for $25 a roll. They can go eat a bag of dicks.

One place in Australia that is worth dealing with is Blanco-Negro in Sydney, who do a lot of stuff online. They sell only Foma stuff, but they have all their papers/films/chems and really good prices, like $10 250ml bottles of their Rodinal knockoff. And the guy who runs it does professional darkroom prints for exhibitions etc. All you Aussies need to support these guys :australia:
http://blanconegro.com.au

Spedman fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Nov 21, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I checked there before asking here. He only has foma100 in stock inn 8x10 atm. Good dude tho and reasonably priced!

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

8th-snype posted:

I can't help right now because I'm in the middle of a horrendous week of night shifts at work but in the future keep me in mind for emergency LF film proxying. My local store has 8x10 HP5+ for like $98 a box and I'm in Seattle so shipping isn't too long (ask Baron Dirigible for actual estimate, I sold him a lens last year).

Yeah, I'll also pool film orders for cheap-ish (net cost of shipping, etc) if you guys will ship me some prints or something in return.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

and again, and again, and

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Has anyone here had success shooting negatives with a digital camera? I'm intrigued by it because I don't know if I can swing a V700 right now with the small amount of film I'm shooting, and even then it's something like 2300 effective resolution. B&W seems fairly straightforward, but how do you adjust for color negatives?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Literally the exact same way you'd adjust color negatives out of a scanner

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

ansel autisms posted:

Literally the exact same way you'd adjust color negatives out of a scanner

are you scanning them as greyscale or rgb?

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Pukestain Pal posted:

are you scanning them as greyscale or rgb?

I do my B&W film as greyscale. From there it's the same as dealing with color film, except you have one curve to adjust instead of three.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Nov 22, 2014

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited
Random offer on a Saturday morning:
Does anyone out there have a 116 camera? I was cleaning up earlier and discovered that, for whatever mysterious reason, I have a roll of 116 Verichrome Pan. I think I got it when I bought out a retiring photographer's freezer a while back.

It's free to any American Dorkroomer who promises to post pictures from it once it's shot.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

MrBlandAverage posted:

I do my B&W film as greyscale. From there it's the same as dealing with color film, except you have one curve to adjust instead of three.

*whew* That's what I'm doing as well. For a minute there I thought I was doing something dumb.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Just going back a few pages to that "chems down the drain" argument, I asked the person to repeat what he said to me and This came to me today:

quote:

I've had the luck to enjoy a career in scientific research and analytical
chemistry before taking up photography full time. One of my challenges was
teaching chemists at the local water supply and sewerage department about
photographic chemicals in the effluent they had to treat. The "no fixer down
the drain" anxiety comes up about a hundred times a year and has been doing
so for at least half a century.

The following does not apply to industrial scale photo materials manufacturing
or a major processing lab, only households connected to a sewer line or a
proper septic system:

Developers are mild reducing agents that oxidise rapidly to inert components.
The BOD (Biological Oxygen Demand) challenge offered by a home darkroom is
much (much!) smaller than the BOD from a dishwasher, in-sink garbage disposal
unit, or a toilet.

Stop bath is a very mild acid that has no measurable effects on highly
buffered systems like septic tanks or sewerage treatment plants.

In moderate quantities (ounces, not tons) silver tetrathionate and similar
compounds which characterise used fixer don't harm sewerage treatment systems
or septic systems. The silver very quickly gets converted to silver sulphide
in the presence of the free sulphide ion (smells like rotten eggs!). Silver
sulphide is geologically stable and biologically inert and has one of the
lowest solubility products known in chemistry. The stability and inertness
of silver sulphide is the key to the remarkable archival properties of sepia
toned photographs.

Do your own calculations. Just estimate your yearly use of silver from
your photographic materials consumption, allow 1 milligram per square inch,
and divide this by your yearly water consumption from the water meter. I
bet it's in the parts per billion range where no conceivable biological effect
can be credibly imagined. If you are discharging into a sewer system your
used fixer contribution will be diluted by thousands of household that don't
do photographic processing; that's just about everybody. Down at the treatment
plant your speck of silver won't be detectable by any known analytical technique.
People washing silverware in their dishwashers will send down more silver
than you will ever do.

In my professional career I have inspected home septic systems that have
been "ruined" by people doing photographic processing. In every case it has
been the fault of extravagant archival washing at the end of the processing
sequence. Sending maybe two or three hundred extra litres of water a day
into a system for days on end dilutes the activated sludge and slows the
biological reactions that process and neutralise the usual septic stream.
The extra water can also overwhelm the soakage pit or trench that lies at
the end of the septic system and deliver a squelchy smelly mess.

The world being what it is many local effluent standards are written
by lawyers and/or accountants who don't know a dot of chemistry but know
about culpability and lawsuits. Even Kodak publication J-300 which is the
de facto last word on "fixer down the drain" is more about avoiding potential
disputes and less about the niceties of chemistry.

Here's a typical calculation: A home darkroom processes, say, 2000 sheets
of 8x10 black and white photographic paper a year. If half the silver goes
down the drain that's 3 ounces. If, instead of disposal, much of that is
recovered and sold the net return after refining costs could be up to $30
per annum on today's silver market. A lot of people would say its not worth
the trouble. Opinions differ.

If you choose check with local authorities, ask their permission for
what you intend to do, and they say no, I guess you have to comply.

I'm still unsure about it to be honest but thought I'd share anyway.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
teal by PC-P, on Flickr

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Pukestain Pal posted:

*whew* That's what I'm doing as well. For a minute there I thought I was doing something dumb.

I wasn't talking about scanning B&W but rather correcting color film with a DSLR scanner vs. a normal scanner, but there's no reason to scan in RGB unless you really, really like the base tone of your emulsion.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I got Pompous Rhombus' antique Agfa Viking PB-20 camera in the mail on Friday so I went and shot a test roll of Portra.

I also found out that the lab I normally go to doesn't process 120 film anymore, so I was left to do it myself.

Luckily somebody had given me some C-41 chems a while back (tetenal powder kit), but unfortunately they were mixed with water and put in bottles over a year ago. It was my only choice unless I wanted to wait a couple weeks to have them mailed out.

This was my first time doing C-41 at home; I'm familiar with B&W processing so it wasn't very difficult, but even so I think I slightly botched the timing on a couple steps. That paired with the old chems produced some uneven color casts.

It was also my 2nd time loading 120 film onto a developing reel, so I botched that too. I didn't notice until after I had poured the chems in and started agitating them that something wasn't right inside. Sure enough, when I had finished, half of the roll had come undone and it was crinkled to hell. So you'll see some warping patterns.

Despite all of that, I got some halfway decent images out of this thing. Certainly not bad for a 60+ year old camera. At least better than a Holga, right? I am just happy there are no light leaks and the (what looks like) uncoated lens handles color decently.

In true dorkroom fashion, I took some photos of mundane horseshit:

BANME.sh fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Nov 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sludge Tank posted:

Just going back a few pages to that "chems down the drain" argument, I asked the person to repeat what he said to me and This came to me today:

I'm still unsure about it to be honest but thought I'd share anyway.
Thanks for this. I tried to find an MSDS for Silver thiosulfate and got nowhere, despite that being described as the main ingredient in the product sheets for fixer I found. That's weird - normally you can buy ANY chemical that appears as an ingredient in something (food or not-food), and if you can buy it you can get the MSDS for it, which will describe disposal considerations.

I am friends with a professor of Soil Chemistry who spends his time bombarding dirt with X-rays at the local synchotron (think of it as a kind of unusual lighting situation to keep it relevant to photography), I need to sit down with him, drink beer, and talk about silver chemistry. Between him and my PhD advisor, who spends half his time as an environmental toxicologist, I should be able to figure out the relative hazard of a few litres of old fix down the sink.