Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.

AFancyQuestionMark posted:

Can someone recommend me something with a focus on behind-the-scenes factional struggles/political machinations? Both fiction and non-fiction accessible to a layman will do.

Anyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sorry, I got nothing.

Edit: All the King's Men, maybe? Still need to read that one.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Jan 26, 2019

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I would start with the house of cards series and look at readers also enjoyed on goodreads.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Sham bam bamina! posted:

That's actually a very good recommendation.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

hackbunny posted:

Personal recommendations:

Skunk Works: A Personal Memoir of My Years at Lockheed, by Ben Rich (second director of the Skunk Works project at Lockheed and successor to the founder thereof). A mix of technical details (especially on stealth technology. Did you know the scientific breakthrough that led to stealth was actually made by a Russian professor?), incredible anecdotes, war stories... and effective project management (really. At its core, it's a book about management, and a pretty good one). The chapter about the F-117 is pretty amusing in hindsight, because on a careful read it reveals every single weakness that was exploited by Serbians to shoot down the "invisible plane", three years after the publication of the book

Sled Driver: Flying the World's Fastest Jet, by Brian Shul (a unique combination of SR-71 pilot and aerial photographer - the book is illustrated with some of his photos, that capture the incredible sights you could get from the canopy of the Blackbird). A pilot-centric view of the legendary Skunk Works supersonic spy plane. Non-technical, but plenty of (cold) war stories, plus the aforementioned photos. Probably not exactly what you're looking for but a good companion for Skunk Works

Ignition!: An informal history of liquid rocket propellants, by John D. Clark (chief chemist at a military research center on liquid rocket propellants). Rocket science is damned hard, and incredibly dangerous too. John D. Clark gives a brief history of the development of liquid rocket propellants, 40s-70s, mostly for military applications, with many amusing anecdotes, some black humor on the daily realities of working with absolutely deadly forces, and some pretty dense technical information on the chemistry involved that mostly flew over my head. Hard to find in print, but there's a free PDF floating around (not a good scan, but decently readable)

Awesome, thank you very much. I've read Skunk Works, but not the other two. I have a passing familiarity with the Ufimpstov (I think) work that laid the groundwork for stealth, as my background is in antennas and RF so I did some propagation work in school.

Both the others sound good, I'll check em out. Anyone interested in aviation can't help but love the SR-71, and the liquid rocket stuff sounds interesting as well.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Sham bam bamina! posted:

funkybottoms posted:

That's actually a very good recommendation.

While All the King's Men is great in its way, I recommend the T. Harry Williams biography of Huey Long instead, which won a Pulitzer Prize and a National Book Award. You can see from the biography how Robert Penn Warren got the story for All the King's Men from Huey Long's life, but the biography gives more nuance (and more story).

https://www.amazon.com/Huey-Long-T-Harry-Williams/dp/0394747909

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

uwaeve posted:

Awesome, thank you very much. I've read Skunk Works, but not the other two. I have a passing familiarity with the Ufimpstov (I think) work that laid the groundwork for stealth, as my background is in antennas and RF so I did some propagation work in school.

Both the others sound good, I'll check em out. Anyone interested in aviation can't help but love the SR-71, and the liquid rocket stuff sounds interesting as well.

Once you've read Ignition, head on over to this thread

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3602006

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Can someone recommend me something with a focus on behind-the-scenes factional struggles/political machinations? Both fiction and non-fiction accessible to a layman will do.

I, Claudius by Robert Graves is extremely good.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

I've recommended it before, but Robert Caro's biography of Robert Moses, The Power Broker, is a good read.

AFancyQuestionMark
Feb 19, 2017

Long time no see.
Thank you everyone for your suggestions, I'll be sure to put all of these on my reading list!

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

Looking for a sci-fi book that's basically post apocalyptic but also futuristic. So science and technology has moved ahead and then society collapsed, say like the Fallout universe.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

ravenkult posted:

Looking for a sci-fi book that's basically post apocalyptic but also futuristic. So science and technology has moved ahead and then society collapsed, say like the Fallout universe.

Tons of options, in no particular order:

Blackfish City
Autonomous
Snow Crash
Ilium
Anathem (it has the tone you’re talking about, I think)
Children of Time
The Stars are Legion

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

ravenkult posted:

M. D. Coopers Aeon 14?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

ravenkult posted:

The Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe.

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

ravenkult posted:

Viriconium by M. John Harrison.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

ravenkult posted:

Jeff Vandermeer's Borne

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
Engine Summer

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

funkybottoms posted:

Jeff Vandermeer's Borne

sucks like a gaping chest wound. blows like the winds to the east.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

chernobyl kinsman posted:

sucks like a gaping chest wound. blows like the winds to the east.

That's helpful. I didn't love it- and it certainly cribbed off of King's The Wastelands pretty hard- but I liked it well enough and certainly fits OP's requirements, so...

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
i mean this in the purest spirit of christian charity: if you derived any pleasure, any at all, from jeff vandermeer's borne, then you are quite probably missing large swaths of your brain and should be put in a home for your own safety

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Edit: There was definitely a post somewhere in this forum about morality of authors, but it seems not here. My post doesn't really mean much without it.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jan 31, 2019

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

funkybottoms posted:

That's helpful. I didn't love it- and it certainly cribbed off of King's The Wastelands pretty hard- but I liked it well enough and certainly fits OP's requirements, so...

I feel the same.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

tuyop posted:

I feel the same.

Maybe we should join a group therapy session.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Is that the one with the MoonPies

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Could someone explain what's up with Borne? Or is this just chernobyl kinsman trying to out-rear end in a top hat A human heart

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Some people freak out if someone finds pleasure in something they personally don’t care for. It’s a self-esteem thing.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

StrixNebulosa posted:

Could someone explain what's up with Borne? Or is this just chernobyl kinsman trying to out-rear end in a top hat A human heart

It's the second one, though I don't doubt that he didn't like the book.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

It’s a self-esteem thing.
Actually, it's just fun to be a dick on the Internet.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Yeah man Penny Arcade covered this like 15 years ago.

Glad to see so many following in that noble tradition.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I've heard about this, but I'm paranoid of finally trying this out and pissing off the one turbo-creep who can trace my IP address, find me and kill my dog and then me, so. Better to be a decent person than risk my dog.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

it's a bad book, hth

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
sorry i was mean about the artistic merit of the book in which a plant-squid fights a giant bear and which finally, in desperate attempt to have some kind of point, makes itself into a hamfisted and blandly anticorporate metaphor about either how climate change impoverishes the future to enrich the present or how colonialism is bad, possibly both

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

sorry i was mean about the artistic merit of the book in which a plant-squid fights a giant bear and which finally, in desperate attempt to have some kind of point, makes itself into a hamfisted and blandly anticorporate metaphor about either how climate change impoverishes the future to enrich the present or how colonialism is bad, possibly both

Just for the record, if your actual goal is to stop people from reading a book, posting a quick synopsis like this is a lot more effective than saying people that enjoyed it to any extent are mentally damaged.

But that wasn't really your goal, so carry on.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
presumably before reading the book one would glance at the dust jacket, see the words "giant bear", and then decide to read it anyway, thereby signalling a perhaps crippling level of cognitive incapability

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

presumably before reading the book one would glance at the dust jacket, see the words "giant bear", and then decide to read it anyway, thereby signalling a perhaps crippling level of cognitive incapability

And yet you seem to have read it, so...

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
took you a while but you got there in the end

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
If the bear fucks a human, though, that's good, like the classic Canadian novel Bear, by Marian Engel, about a bear that fucks a human.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

This one's for chernobyl kinsman:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Sham bam bamina! posted:

If the bear fucks a human, though, that's good, like the classic Canadian novel Bear, by Marian Engel, about a bear that fucks a human.

that book is on my to read list partly because there's a bunch of funny reviews online freaking out at the concept

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Ornamented Death posted:

This one's for chernobyl kinsman:

they shoulda called it stillborne am i right folks