Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Ahahahahahaha, what?! And why isn't this his new gimmick?

He also caused an anthrax scare after he left cocaine when he was working as an MBTA agent. (The Boston subway company it isn't some weird rear end Midwestern wrestling promotion)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

ayn rand hand job posted:

He also caused an anthrax scare after he left cocaine when he was working as an MBTA agent. (The Boston subway company it isn't some weird rear end Midwestern wrestling promotion)

He also got kicked out of Toronto City Hall for selling sandwiches.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Holy poo poo, and here I thought 1979-1999 was the most interesting part of his life. Please, keep going.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Great White Hope posted:

He also got kicked out of Toronto City Hall for selling sandwiches.
That is a mendacious lie; he showed up hoping to counsel Rob Ford about his personal problems, and also happened to be carrying a very big sub sandwich, which the media seized upon for some reason. He was also carrying his hedge trimmers, which the Toronto City Hall security seized upon for some reason.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Ed Leslie is like a Coen Bros. movie character who exists in the real world.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Maxwell Lord posted:

Ed Leslie is like a Coen Bros. movie character who exists in the real world.

I think that's actually Vincent

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, Ed Leslie is clearly an escapee from an old episode of Twin Peaks.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Halloween Jack posted:

Hogan has outlived Andre, Savage, Yokozuna, Warrior, Earthquake...if you asked me "which wrestler is going to die next," I wouldn't bet on the Hulkster, brother. Wood did a lot of roids and probably coke and booze, but just as an example, Sheik is a decade older and did crack and pills.

On the other hand, we lost Lemmy, David Bowie, and Abe Vigoda in the span of a month and a half.

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't think they're friends after Beefcake burglarized Hogan's house and stole his jewelry.
Is there a legit source on this? All I can find on this is message board chatter. Although Brother Bruti did get caught selling fake Hogan-autographed photos, and Hogan called him out.

http://www.sescoops.com/hulk-hogan-calls-out-brutus-beefcake-for-selling-unauthorized-signed-photos-of-him/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is there a reason Ed Leslie didn't keep up with the Disciple gimmick for longer? I mean at the very least he had a much better look as The Disciple than he did as Brutus.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

1st AD posted:

Is there a reason Ed Leslie didn't keep up with the Disciple gimmick for longer? I mean at the very least he had a much better look as The Disciple than he did as Brutus.

Because once you semi-retire as a wrestler and you keep the lights on by doing occasional indie dates you stick with the gimmick that the most people will recognize. No one gives a gently caress who the Disciple is but if some guy who hasn't watched wresting in years sees a flier for a local show that has Brutus Beefcake in it, that's a guy he remembers and might go pay the five bucks to see just because he never got to see him live when he was a kid or whatever. Also the disciple was extremely unmemorable and WCW also worked semi-hard at trying to make it seem like he wasn't Leslie and was a totally different character. Beefer was all about the money though, so I'm sure he would have shown up as the Disciple if some indie promoter really wanted the Disciple, but guys like the Rodman Down Under people want guys like him billed as whatever they were at their peak, it's one of the reasons those dudes fight so hard to hold on to their wrestler names (Example: Leslie ended up being Brute Force on the indies because of WWE having the copyright to the barber gimmick).

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

1st AD posted:

Other than Warrior leaving and Hogan "retiring"?

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
Someone on this board once wrote of Hogan "slipping it to the Beefer" in some sort of sex scandal and I didn't stop laughing for at least 20 minutes.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

El Estrago Bonito posted:

Because once you semi-retire as a wrestler and you keep the lights on by doing occasional indie dates you stick with the gimmick that the most people will recognize. No one gives a gently caress who the Disciple is but if some guy who hasn't watched wresting in years sees a flier for a local show that has Brutus Beefcake in it, that's a guy he remembers and might go pay the five bucks to see just because he never got to see him live when he was a kid or whatever. Also the disciple was extremely unmemorable and WCW also worked semi-hard at trying to make it seem like he wasn't Leslie and was a totally different character. Beefer was all about the money though, so I'm sure he would have shown up as the Disciple if some indie promoter really wanted the Disciple, but guys like the Rodman Down Under people want guys like him billed as whatever they were at their peak, it's one of the reasons those dudes fight so hard to hold on to their wrestler names (Example: Leslie ended up being Brute Force on the indies because of WWE having the copyright to the barber gimmick).

The Disciple was my third favorite member of the original Black and White Express after Big Wood and Flapjack.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

I want to see Ed Leslie work as the Zodiac one more time

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Smoking Crow posted:

I know at a few random indie dates he wore the trunks but I think that was more out of extreme laziness than anything else.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I love that Hogan is so utterly inseparable from wrestling, as a business, that we've been able to keep a thread almost solely about Hogan afloat for almost four hundred pages.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
This thread's only nominally been about Hogan.

Most of it's just been people needing a second WCW Tuesday Nitro thread for...Some reason.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

LORD OF BUTT posted:

I love that Hogan is so utterly inseparable from wrestling, as a business, that we've been able to keep a thread almost solely about Hogan afloat for almost four hundred pages.

And yet the Hulk Hogan Raft is still lost to the mists of time.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Hulk Hogan's meat shoes however shall never be forgotten
https://twitter.com/WWE_Network_Bot/status/693322452965933056

Man, it's been a hell of a great birthday week for me.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
I vaguely remember wondering whose disciple The Disciple was whenever I saw him back then, did they ever clear that up? Or was he just generally discipling?

Dario the Wop
Oct 11, 2007

Hell-Sent, Heaven-Bent

Grendels Dad posted:

I vaguely remember wondering whose disciple The Disciple was whenever I saw him back then, did they ever clear that up? Or was he just generally discipling?
Hogan's, then Warrior's.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Dario the Wop posted:

Hogan's, then Warrior's.

Thanks. I kinda remember him switching sides but always wondered whether there would be some sort of follow-up on that. I think I just didn't "get" WCW back then.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Grendels Dad posted:

Thanks. I kinda remember him switching sides but always wondered whether there would be some sort of follow-up on that. I think I just didn't "get" WCW back then.

He started out as Hogan's disciple and hung around with nWo Hollywood, got abducted by Warrior and turned into the second member of one Warrior nation (oWn), during the Hogan-Warrior feud.

Because the feud was panned, it was ended early. Warrior left, Hogan "retired" to run for President. Disciple made an appearance as a jobber in the World War III match, and that was about the end of his full time wrestling career.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

Did Disco ever get the chartbuster back after they gave it to Disciple?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I remember after disciple left the nWo he came out on, I think, Saturday night and stood in ring and told the fans he was back to being a good guy and he knew he could make it to the top if the fans just believed in him

Then he lost the match

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Also, the Disciple was a tall bodybuilder with long hair and a beard who dressed vaguely like a biker, and WCW had about three dozen wrestlers doing that look. Watching Tuesday Nitro, even when I knew he was involved in a segment my eyes had trouble focusing on him, he just faded into the scenery so well.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Lady Naga posted:

This thread's only nominally been about Hogan.

Most of it's just been people needing a second WCW Tuesday Nitro thread for...Some reason.

I like this thread because I'm never actually able to watch the PSP Nitro streams, and it's just fun as a general reminiscence.

I wonder how many people in this thread are following along with the Bryan & Vinny shows, because we're about to get into the hottest angle in company history ... followed by the biggest wet fart in company history. Everybody knows the end, but I'm fascinated to follow the journey in real time.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

oldpainless posted:

I remember after disciple left the nWo he came out on, I think, Saturday night and stood in ring and told the fans he was back to being a good guy and he knew he could make it to the top if the fans just believed in him

Then he lost the match

Well to be fair, I seriously doubt the fans believed in him

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

oldpainless posted:

Then he lost the match

Can't believe you didn't believe in him after all that :negative:

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

LORD OF BUTT posted:

This is the WCW was the best promotion ever thread, Hogan being the greatest wrestler ever just makes for a ton of crossover.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

(Example: Leslie ended up being Brute Force on the indies because of WWE having the copyright to the barber gimmick).

Should have changed it to Max Force and worked a NARC gimmick.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

oldpainless posted:

Then he lost the match
When I read this post the first two times I mentally replaced "disciple" with Disco. Disciple was so generic it's impossible for my brain to notice him.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Skinty McEdger posted:

Did Disco ever get the chartbuster back after they gave it to Disciple?

He got a better one The Book, it was so powerful it finished an entire company.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Smoking Crow posted:

Some fed should do a Three Multiple Faces of Ed Leslie.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.
I wonder what Ted DiBiase thinks of his time in WCW?

quote:

I don't know I could even give you a favorite story because it was the worst three years of my life. I wasn't unhappy with the WWF, but Vince decided to put me back on the road and the road for me was a danger zone. I'd been through this big change in my life confronted with my infidelity to my wife, and I refound my christian routes. I just felt like being on the road was danger. When I went back as manager I wasn't on the road very much, and the rest of the time I was at home, but then Vince wanted me back on the road.

WCW was the worst company I've ever worked for, and I have no idea how Bischoff got the job. I was brought in to be the mouthpiece and when he saw how hot it was he took my spot.

Oh.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Did anyone actually enjoy their time in WCW

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Smoking Crow posted:

Lanny poffo

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Smoking Crow posted:

probably hogan tbf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

corn in the bible posted:

probably hogan tbf

He filed a defamation suit against the company.