Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

All I know is that creating weird will they/won't they shipping opportunity can be big money because some people mainline that like cocaine.

But teens angsting over themselves because they can't understand their own feelings is poison to me. Unless there's s good hook somewhere, like playing it for laughs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SlothfulCobra posted:

All I know is that creating weird will they/won't they shipping opportunity can be big money because some people mainline that like cocaine.

But teens angsting over themselves because they can't understand their own feelings is poison to me. Unless there's s good hook somewhere, like playing it for laughs.

I love well done shipping cause in my heart of hearts I'm a hopeless romantic schmuck with a weakness for sappy schmaltz, it's a shame how rarely that gets successfully pulled off though, especially in animation

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
A bunch of Justice League Action clips just popped up on my youtube feed and holy poo poo did this wonderful show deserve way better. :(

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FilthyImp posted:

A bunch of Justice League Action clips just popped up on my youtube feed and holy poo poo did this wonderful show deserve way better. :(

Yeah I know I've been defending CN's seemingly bad scheduling decisions, but I can't come up with an excuse for this. JLA is wonderful and they really hosed it over. I mean it didn't even have that serialization problem! It's both a good show that got screwed and an example that pokes a gaping hole in my argument!

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
CN really fucks over any non-CN Studios show not named Teen Titans Go

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think in this case it's mostly that we've reached the point as a society where "let's hint that Velma might be a lesbian" is perceived as a lovely cop-out, and people are ready to expect openly gay characters in cartoons.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

drrockso20 posted:

Unfortunately those aspects end up being the worst parts of the show, as it leads to a lot of really dumb drama that in the long run goes absolutely nowhere

They made fun of it in the second Scooby Doo Cartoon Network live action movie.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Senerio posted:

They made fun of it in the second Scooby Doo Cartoon Network live action movie.

Honestly that just felt cheap when they did and made what was an already mediocre movie even worse

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

CN really fucks over any non-CN Studios show not named Teen Titans Go

As I've mentioned in the past that comes down to CN despising DC and WB Animation even though they're owned by the same company

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

drrockso20 posted:

As I've mentioned in the past that comes down to CN despising DC and WB Animation even though they're owned by the same company

Not that they’ll treat non CN originals or even CN originals much better.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
I think we can all agree here that once you get past the actual cartoons, CN is a very poorly run division of Time Warner.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Acebuckeye13 posted:

very poorly run [...] Time Warner.

Yep that all checks

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Whats with these 24hour marathon feeds for cartoons, they seem like mockeries of youtube's copyright/IP checker system and some sort of money/ad exploit?

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Sonic Underground continues. I have so many questions.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Rand Brittain posted:

I think in this case it's mostly that we've reached the point as a society where "let's hint that Velma might be a lesbian" is perceived as a lovely cop-out, and people are ready to expect openly gay characters in cartoons.

By the end of Mystery Inc they had all but placed a sign over Velma and HDW that said "LESBIANS" in big letters.
Of course in that case it was also weird because she seemed to only switch teams because she was so frustrated with Shaggy.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

raditts posted:

By the end of Mystery Inc they had all but placed a sign over Velma and HDW that said "LESBIANS" in big letters.
Of course in that case it was also weird because she seemed to only switch teams because she was so frustrated with Shaggy.

As I said earlier, the shipping stuff in MI is really poorly implemented to the show's overall detriment

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
She can be bi. Though it seems almost too obvious to make the geeky nerdbait girl the lesbian/bisexual.

Though really, hard to name a cartoon that does romance/shipping stuff well, which is odd because that's nearly all of them. Maybe Star Vs just because it accurately portrays things as awkward and difficult for everyone involved due to runaway teenage emotions and stress.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Though really, hard to name a cartoon that does romance/shipping stuff well, which is odd because that's nearly all of them.
I'm really, really into this cool, laid back skater chick.

Aaaaaaaand now that i've actually started a relationship I think I'll just call it of. Kthanx.

(Ok yeah maybe it's true to life but it makes for a bad viewing experience)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

I keep hearing good things about the new Mickey Mouse shorts but it seems like they aren't actually available for purchase in any reasonable way.

What is up with the modern kid's show and the refusal to actually sell it?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Pretty much all of them have been officially uploaded to Youtube. Nothing to buy.

https://www.youtube.com/user/DisneyShorts

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Yeah, they're not selling them because you can just go watch them free.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Yeah, they're not selling them because you can just go watch them free.
I mean, for now we can. What if you want them for your collection or something.

I always marvelled how Gravity Falls had like a year+ between seasons but Disney did t even opt for a season 1 blu to tide fans over.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
actually they are available on itunes (and likely other services)

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Google Play has them in some kind of "no longer available" state. Can someone with iTunes tell me if you can actually buy them?

This is kind of why I'm so picky about getting physical copies, because with "free streaming" my having access in the future is at the mercy of the same people who make the bizarre scheduling decisions.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also they're three minute shorts released irregularly to play before movies, not an entire TV show. It's not a whole lot to collect on a disc.

GameboyHero
Apr 11, 2010

Rand Brittain posted:

Google Play has them in some kind of "no longer available" state. Can someone with iTunes tell me if you can actually buy them?

Just did a quick check and they’re there in volumes under Disney Mickey Mouse (can’t buy separate episodes). 4 bucks a volume.

GameboyHero fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 13, 2018

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Here's the first result I got on google.
https://www.amazon.com/Disney-Micke...L70_&dpSrc=srch

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Okay, so it's just missing from Google Play for reasons that make no sense. Although, pretty much every show is either missing or behind on one of the three major services for reasons that make no sense, so that's basically normal.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Waffleman_ posted:

Also they're three minute shorts released irregularly to play before movies, not an entire TV show. It's not a whole lot to collect on a disc.
So like Pixar's short collection?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean apparently so since there's a DVD!

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe
So they finally directly addressed Darkwing Duck in the new Ducktales cartoon. It's apparently a TV show that runs in their universe.

They also finally had Gizmoduck appear, which was pretty neat.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Someone who works on the show made a tweet to the effect that the Darkwing show is setting up something more than just an Easter egg.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I would put good money on the payoff being a crossover. I mean, "sucked into a TV show" is pretty classic kids show fare

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It is mentioned that Jim Starling (who plays Darkwing) was an old-school hardcore actor who did all his own stunts and appears to have Darkwing's personality in the original show, so we might well see him pull a Gray Ghost at the very least. Also, Launchpad interestingly seems to be the audience-insert here, given he grew up with the show and his birthday is the day of the premiere of the original Ducktales.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I want them to do a Batman Beyond parody with Darkwing as grumpy old man Bruce and Gosalyn as Terry McGinnis.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Ghost Leviathan posted:

It is mentioned that Jim Starling (who plays Darkwing) was an old-school hardcore actor who did all his own stunts and appears to have Darkwing's personality in the original show, so we might well see him pull a Gray Ghost at the very least. Also, Launchpad interestingly seems to be the audience-insert here, given he grew up with the show and his birthday is the day of the premiere of the original Ducktales.

:eng101: It's Jim Cummings.

Hope they do the new theme song justice if it's indeed a thing. The DD theme was unique in that it was one of the few jazz based themes in cartoons.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Mr Interweb posted:

:eng101: It's Jim Cummings.

Hope they do the new theme song justice if it's indeed a thing. The DD theme was unique in that it was one of the few jazz based themes in cartoons.

He meant in-show, this version of Darkwing is actually an actor named Jim Starling.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:55 on May 16, 2018

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Larryb posted:

He meant in-show, this version of Darkwing is actually an actor named Jim Sterling.

Starling not Sterling.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
yeah, Jim Starling is the Ducktales character, Jim Sterling is a weird-looking guy on Youtube who dresses like Oddjob and has opinions about video games

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
This was the most confusing conversation I've read here in a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Jim Sterling is a good boy.