Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Dell 25" UltraSharp U2515H, y/n? Any better monitors for approx the same price?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Trier posted:

Dell 25" UltraSharp U2515H, y/n? Any better monitors for approx the same price?

1440p at 25" makes text very small, make sure to keep that in mind and buy from someplace with no hassle returns if you can't see it in person before buying.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

1440p at 25" makes text very small, make sure to keep that in mind and buy from someplace with no hassle returns if you can't see it in person before buying.

Do the two inches between 25" and OPs recommended 27" really make that big a difference? The 27" IPS monitors I can find are considerably more expensive

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

reagan posted:

Can anyone else comment on this? I have never owned one of the Ultrasharp models.

Since no one else bothered to comment: As long as you buy the Ultrasharp from an authorized dealer (basically any of the major online stores--just not like off some dude on the side of the road or something) you'll be covered by Dell's glorious warranty. If you have pretty much anything wrong with it, you call them up, tell them you don't like it, and they'll advance-ship you a new one with minimal fuss. You can continue doing this until you're happy; there are stories in this very thread of people swapping 4 or 5 monitors until they got one that was absolutely perfect.

Dell really has the best warranty support in the entire monitor business.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
Well gently caress, I can't find any 27" 1440p IPS monitors within a reasonable price range, the 27" ones are twice as expensive as that 25" dell.

Any suggestions for a nice and cheap one?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
Are the korean qnix et al monitors still a good deal and good quality panels? The ones I've seen on ebay have DP and HDMI in addition to DVI; how overclockable, if at all, are they now?

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Trier posted:

Well gently caress, I can't find any 27" 1440p IPS monitors within a reasonable price range, the 27" ones are twice as expensive as that 25" dell.

http://www.amazon.com/BenQ-GW2765HT-27-Inch-LED-Lit-Monitor/dp/B00KYCSRSG

$45 cheaper than the 25" Dell you mentioned on Amazon

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

Are the korean qnix et al monitors still a good deal and good quality panels? The ones I've seen on ebay have DP and HDMI in addition to DVI; how overclockable, if at all, are they now?

Multi-input versions are not overclockable at all. They might be able to accept higher input refresh rates, but they will drop frames if that's the case.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

Unfortunately I'm not American, so it's $150 more expensive for me :smith:

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Trier posted:

If you're willing to go Korean, there are plenty of options for $280 on Ebay. If not, keep your eye out for a deal - I got this for $225 after rebate a couple weeks ago: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824009626

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie
What the hell is MHL? I'm looking at this super sweet monitor and it only has MHL and DisplayPort inputs, no HDMI or DVI.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Trier posted:

What the hell is MHL? I'm looking at this super sweet monitor and it only has MHL and DisplayPort inputs, no HDMI or DVI.

MHL is Mobile High-Definition Link, basically a way to get decent video signals out of a port that's physically designed for MicroUSB. Usually on the TV side I've seen it implemented as a part of the HDMI port, and you use a MHL->HDMI cable to connect the two. It should in that case still work as a HDMI port as well.

There's also a new MHL standard that I think uses its own special connector but supports 8K resolutions with a "visually lossless" codec (read as high quality lossy). I doubt that's what we're talking about here though.

What monitor? We can probably find something to confirm what it really has.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Trier posted:

A quick google search results in this

Looks a bit strange, to be honest.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Anyone have the xb270hu paired with a 970? How's it performing?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Trier posted:

MHL is for connecting a mobile device to a larger screen like a monitor or TV, the mobile device uses a micro-USB port and the monitor uses a HDMI connector, the MHL enabled HDMI connector can still be used as a normal HDMI port so you should be ok.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

wolrah posted:

MHL is Mobile High-Definition Link, basically a way to get decent video signals out of a port that's physically designed for MicroUSB. Usually on the TV side I've seen it implemented as a part of the HDMI port, and you use a MHL->HDMI cable to connect the two. It should in that case still work as a HDMI port as well.

There's also a new MHL standard that I think uses its own special connector but supports 8K resolutions with a "visually lossless" codec (read as high quality lossy). I doubt that's what we're talking about here though.

What monitor? We can probably find something to confirm what it really has.

it's an ASUS MG279Q

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Trier posted:

it's an ASUS MG279Q

Yeah, it has one DP, one mDP and two MHL enabled HDMI ports.

BTW here is a detailed review of that monitor: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Yeah, it has one DP, one mDP and two MHL enabled HDMI ports.

BTW here is a detailed review of that monitor: http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/asus_mg279q.htm

Sweet, thanks. I'm reading here that it's using AMD's FreeSync instead of G-Sync. I have an nVidia card, will this cause problems?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Trier posted:

Sweet, thanks. I'm reading here that it's using AMD's FreeSync instead of G-Sync. I have an nVidia card, will this cause problems?

Nope, it will just work like a normal monitor then.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Nope, it will just work like a normal monitor then.

Alright, cool. The Acer one that review recommended as an alternative is like 150% of the price of this Asus

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Trier posted:

Alright, cool. The Acer one that review recommended as an alternative is like 150% of the price of this Asus

Well yeah, GSync monitors are all quite expensive. I'm surprised you can get that Asus one, it's much more expensive than the other monitors you mentioned over here in the US, for reference:

BenQ GW2765HT: $350
Dell U2515H: $400
Asus MG279Q: $570

If you are getting the MG279Q for cheaper than the other options that is quite a steal.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
Just got my XB270HU in and holy crap this thing is absolutely amazing. July 2015 manufacture date. Zero dead pixels, minimal IPS glow / BLB, zero dust particles. Should have definitely done this sooner.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

If you are getting the MG279Q for cheaper than the other options that is quite a steal.

Oh no those are all a lot cheaper, but the Dell one I got advised against due to it being 1440p crammed into 25", and the BenQ one is 60hz instead of the Asus' 144. This is one of those "Do I go all-in?" kinda questions, really.

Dell one is 2400 danish kroners, the BenQ one is 3600, the Asus is 4400. According to this conversion thingie that translates to about 360/541/661 USD.

Boy are electronics (and everything else) expensive here.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Etrips posted:

Just got my XB270HU in and holy crap this thing is absolutely amazing. July 2015 manufacture date. Zero dead pixels, minimal IPS glow / BLB, zero dust particles. Should have definitely done this sooner.

I ordered this a couple days ago and this makes me hopeful. I think a couple other guys here have reported good luck on that batch as well. Hopefully that means I won't be playing RMA roulette courtesy of Amazon.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Trier posted:

Oh no those are all a lot cheaper, but the Dell one I got advised against due to it being 1440p crammed into 25", and the BenQ one is 60hz instead of the Asus' 144. This is one of those "Do I go all-in?" kinda questions, really.

Dell one is 2400 danish kroners, the BenQ one is 3600, the Asus is 4400. According to this conversion thingie that translates to about 360/541/661 USD.

Boy are electronics (and everything else) expensive here.

Ahhh, ok. Just make sure you have hardware that can drive your games to play at high frame rates to take advantage of the higher refresh rates, since you said you are using a Nvidia card something like a 980 Ti would be needed at 1440p to see the advantage of the higher refresh rates of the MG279Q in more modern games. Ideally you would want an AMD card to take advantage of Freesync but at that point you might as well get an XB270HU instead and keep your current card.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Where did you guys order from?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

...something like a 980 Ti would be needed at 1440p to see the advantage of the higher refresh rates of the MG279Q in more modern games...

This isn't really true. While you probably need a 980Ti to drive 1440p all the way at 144Hz, a 980 or even a 970 (depending on the game and what settings you're happy with) will be well above 60FPS. For instance, I use an EVGA 980 SC for FFXIV because I hate life, and regularly am sitting in the 90-100FPS range. Sure, it's not 144Hz, but it's a drat sight better than 60Hz.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

DrDork posted:

This isn't really true. While you probably need a 980Ti to drive 1440p all the way at 144Hz, a 980 or even a 970 (depending on the game and what settings you're happy with) will be well above 60FPS. For instance, I use an EVGA 980 SC for FFXIV because I hate life, and regularly am sitting in the 90-100FPS range. Sure, it's not 144Hz, but it's a drat sight better than 60Hz.

That's why I said "modern games" i.e. stuff like GTAV or TW3 on high/ultra settings. If you are willing to turn stuff down to get better frame rates or talking about older or lower spec games you can certainly take advantage of the higher refresh rates.

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

Google Butt posted:

Amazon. You can get it cheaper elsewhere but with the QC issues I wouldn't get it anywhere else unless they can match Amazon's hassle-free exchange/return policy.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

That's why I said "modern games" i.e. stuff like GTAV or TW3 on high/ultra settings. If you are willing to turn stuff down to get better frame rates or talking about older or lower spec games you can certainly take advantage of the higher refresh rates.

If that's your use case, better start saving up for a tri-980Ti SLI setup, because TW3 on Ultra--even without Hairworks--will crush a single 980Ti down below 100FPS. You're going to have to turn some stuff down, pretty much regardless.

The original point is you don't need to go straight to a $650 980Ti to validate buying a MG279Q--lesser cards can still push well above 60FPS if you don't feel the need for Ultra + max FSAA (which isn't needed at 1440p as much as it is at 1080p in the first place). Quite frankly, the better plan is to grab an EVGA b-stock 980 for $360 and wait to see how Arctic Isles plays out.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.

Google Butt posted:

Newegg. At the time when I ordered, Amazon had a 1-2 month wait for some reason. Else I would have gone with them.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

DrDork posted:

Since no one else bothered to comment: As long as you buy the Ultrasharp from an authorized dealer (basically any of the major online stores--just not like off some dude on the side of the road or something) you'll be covered by Dell's glorious warranty. If you have pretty much anything wrong with it, you call them up, tell them you don't like it, and they'll advance-ship you a new one with minimal fuss. You can continue doing this until you're happy; there are stories in this very thread of people swapping 4 or 5 monitors until they got one that was absolutely perfect.

Dell really has the best warranty support in the entire monitor business.

Thank you for your help.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Freesync seems like the tech that's gonna "take over." Is this in fact happening? Or is nVidia too powerful?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
So, a couple of weeks ago, I posted about light translucent yellow/brown patches on my Dell U3011 when I was about 6 months off my warranty.

KingEup suggested I contact the Australian Consumer Protection, but Dell said that they wouldn't replace/repair the monitor, but if I choose a new one, they'd give me a partial discount, which is better than nothing, I guess.

I'm considering using this to just get my parents a new monitor, or buying a new 30" screen and giving them my U3011.

What are the go-to Dell monitors now? (The OP is out of date I think) I'm looking at either a 24" or 27" for general office work/browsing stuff for my parents, or a 30" for everything (work/browsing/video/games).

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

PerrineClostermann posted:

Freesync seems like the tech that's gonna "take over." Is this in fact happening? Or is nVidia too powerful?

I think it will depend on whether or not they can catch up to GSync. Right now, FreeSync works on a smaller frequency range, and is incompatible with ULMB. But there's reason to think that the range issue is just a teething problem, and will be rectified by later iterations. ULMB, no idea. If they can get at least the wider range working, the fact that it's both $150-$200 cheaper and basically packaged into forthcoming VESA standards pretty much guarantees its dominance. Which isn't to say NVidia won't drag their heels for as long as possible to try to drive more people to buy GSync products and make a buck off 'em, but they'll join the party eventually. But that "eventually" may well be several years, especially if they can't bring the GSync module prices down to <$50, and/or they continue to have a 80% dGPU marketshare.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

DrDork posted:

I think it will depend on whether or not they can catch up to GSync. Right now, FreeSync works on a smaller frequency range, and is incompatible with ULMB. But there's reason to think that the range issue is just a teething problem, and will be rectified by later iterations. ULMB, no idea. If they can get at least the wider range working, the fact that it's both $150-$200 cheaper and basically packaged into forthcoming VESA standards pretty much guarantees its dominance. Which isn't to say NVidia won't drag their heels for as long as possible to try to drive more people to buy GSync products and make a buck off 'em, but they'll join the party eventually. But that "eventually" may well be several years, especially if they can't bring the GSync module prices down to <$50, and/or they continue to have a 80% dGPU marketshare.

Both Freesync and GSync are incompatible with ULMB, but GSync includes ULMB as an either/or toggle. It is a feature dot point for GSync equipped monitors but not an inherent performance advantage. Nothing is stopping companies from releasing monitors with Freesync and some form of ULMB, but nobody has.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

rapeface posted:

So, a couple of weeks ago, I posted about light translucent yellow/brown patches on my Dell U3011 when I was about 6 months off my warranty.

KingEup suggested I contact the Australian Consumer Protection, but Dell said that they wouldn't replace/repair the monitor, but if I choose a new one, they'd give me a partial discount, which is better than nothing, I guess.

I'm considering using this to just get my parents a new monitor, or buying a new 30" screen and giving them my U3011.

What are the go-to Dell monitors now? (The OP is out of date I think) I'm looking at either a 24" or 27" for general office work/browsing stuff for my parents, or a 30" for everything (work/browsing/video/games).

What did the ACCC say?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

KingEup posted:

What did the ACCC say?

I spoke to someone from the ACCC over the phone twice and exchanged several emails. I explained my situation over the phone, gave someone my details and they let me know that Dell had escalated the matter. (Dell also called me to get some more details at this point) A few days later, the ACCC called me and said that Dell wasn't going to do anything because they felt that 3 years was reasonable use for a monitor and the ACCC couldn't really do anything more. Dell were willing to offer some discount on a monitor, but I have to tell them which one I want before they'll let me know how much they're giving me off (I'm not expecting much tbh). The people at the ACCC were super nice but seemed ultimately pretty toothless.

Trier
Aug 8, 2011

Stupid Newbie

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Ahhh, ok. Just make sure you have hardware that can drive your games to play at high frame rates to take advantage of the higher refresh rates, since you said you are using a Nvidia card something like a 980 Ti would be needed at 1440p to see the advantage of the higher refresh rates of the MG279Q in more modern games. Ideally you would want an AMD card to take advantage of Freesync but at that point you might as well get an XB270HU instead and keep your current card.

Really, I need that powerful a card? I thought 980ti was like, if you wanted 4k. I have a 970, I guess that's not enough to pull the load?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Trier posted:

Really, I need that powerful a card? I thought 980ti was like, if you wanted 4k. I have a 970, I guess that's not enough to pull the load?

It won't crack 60 fps on most newer games. That's not strictly necessary and will give you room for later upgrades even if you don't upgrade cards now though.