Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Carbon dioxide posted:

About 1 in 10 people have a gene that alters the taste buds in such a way that Brussels sprouts taste terribly bitter.

I'm not one of these people and like them, too.

Just remember that if you try to forcefeed Brussels sprouts to your kid, they might actually have this gene and it may taste objectively horrible to them.

Granted, I suspect, especially in the US, not much of an effort was made to make them especially appealing which gave them their reputation. Pretty much the same with Spinach and a lot of other vegetables. Our "general" cuisine in many ways even today is pretty bland, but check out a cookbook all the way until the 1970s and it is pretty enlightening. Our cuisine probably should have been broader in the first place.

Also, yeah, Cilantro has a similar issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

I guess it's one of the problems of international trade. New foods become available, but it also becomes possible to produce and consume the exact same foods all year round.

Not entirely unrelated: map of the spread of disease throughout history. Link to full size version.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Carbon dioxide posted:

About 1 in 10 people have a gene that alters the taste buds in such a way that Brussels sprouts taste terribly bitter.

Same with Cilantro, which is terrible because it's a great addition to guacamole.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

[quote="Kegluneq" post="434334590"]
I guess it's one of the problems of international trade. New foods become available, but it also becomes possible to produce and consume the exact same foods all year round.

Does that list "dog" under Meso-America? :psyduck:
e: and Southwest Asia and South/Southeast Asia, though I guess that last one is to be a bit more expected. :unsmigghh:

Brussel Sprouts discussion inspired me to search Google for a map of Brussel Sprouts consumption rates, but I couldn't find anything except for a factoid about them being more popular in Canada than the US.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 2, 2014

Nyarlothotep
Apr 14, 2007
Don't fail to see Nyarlathotep if he comes to Providence. He is horrible — horrible beyond anything you can imagine — but wonderful. He haunts one for hours afterward. I am still shuddering at what he showed.
"food crops and domesticated animals". It doesn't necessarily mean they eat the animals.

Nyarlothotep fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Sep 2, 2014

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Randandal posted:

[quote="Kegluneq" post="434334590"]

Does that list "dog" under Meso-America? :psyduck:
e: and Southwest Asia and South/Southeast Asia, though I guess that last one is to be a bit more expected. :unsmigghh:

Brussel Sprouts discussion inspired me to search Google for a map of Brussel Sprouts consumption rates, but I couldn't find anything except for a factoid about them being more popular in Canada than the US.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Hairless_Dog :ssh:

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

Bacon was the hot poo poo fad food from like 4 years ago, I'm sure that map would have been solid bacon across the board then. You can even see how the scale is weighted for dark kale is only 2:1 but dark bacon is 8:1. No state had more kale mentions than bacon, its pretty deceiving.

Oh, I get it. They just put their finger on the scale until they got the ratio of "Obama + Kale" to "Romney + Bacon" that they wanted. That's actually a pretty great political map, then.

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

EvanSchenck posted:

Oh, I get it. They just put their finger on the scale until they got the ratio of "Obama + Kale" to "Romney + Bacon" that they wanted. That's actually a pretty great political map, then.

I wonder what an arugula tweets map would look like.

Randandal fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Sep 2, 2014

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx

Guavanaut posted:

Spain and France are entirely in the wrong timezone, and should move back an hour. They never will though, because that would mean Paris conceding that Greenwich was right about something once.

Supposedly Spain is switching back. They changed in 1942 to be in alignment with Germany.

Pakled posted:

At least with India, the time zone they chose has solar time equal to their time at roughly the geographic center of the country, so no one is more than about one hour off, as opposed to China which just decided to say "gently caress the western provinces."

Chinas single timezone exists because Mao wanted to show the whole country who is boss.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nyarlothotep posted:

This map finally led me to look up what kale is, since it seems to be the hot new thing, and it turns out it's motherfucking boerenkool? That's the new hipster food in America?

Haha, I also hadn't looked up what Kale was, and certainly didn't expect it to be boerenkool. People are actually wearing t-shirts with "Kale", or "Eat more Kale" on them :roflolmao:

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

From now on I will call the North Sea the Sadistic Wet Bastard, it's such a fitting name!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Requesting dutch translation for "sadistic wet bastard".

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

Americans don't understand how healthy foods work so you can sell us a leafy thing and claim it's magic and we'll believe it. See also anything anyone's ever called a "superfood."

Medieval peasants ate it all the time and look how healthy they were.

ekuNNN posted:

Haha, I also hadn't looked up what Kale was, and certainly didn't expect it to be boerenkool. People are actually wearing t-shirts with "Kale", or "Eat more Kale" on them :roflolmao:

North Brabant is Flanders Reloaded and you should just give it to us already. It even has 'North' in the name.

Phlegmish fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 2, 2014

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

Phlegmish posted:

Medieval peasants ate it all the time and look how healthy they were.

"Provides enough sustenance to survive a day in the life of a medieval peasant" is a pretty glowing endorsement of kale's superpowers.

Molentik
Apr 30, 2013

withak posted:

Requesting dutch translation for "sadistic wet bastard".

Sadistische Natte Bastaard

R. Mute
Jul 27, 2011

Phlegmish posted:

North Brabant is Flanders Reloaded and you should just give it to us already. It even has 'North' in the name.
Why would we want it.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Molentik posted:

Sadistische Natte Bastaard

I'd say Sadistische natte klootzak, really, cause we don't really use bastard as an insult.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

In case you're interested, the creator posted a rather extensive explanation of this Netherlands map on reddit.

E: Content:

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Sep 2, 2014

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

What a lovely map. They don't talk about the Beatles in Manchester.

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
Why is there a space time rift in Wales?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Maybe it's a Doctor Who reference?

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Cardiff is there, in Doctor Who there's a space rift there that the Doctor uses to refuel the TARDIS

Zohar
Jul 14, 2013

Good kitty
And "Looks like a cock" is a reference to the Mull of Kintyre test!

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Carbon dioxide posted:

In case you're interested, the creator posted a rather extensive explanation of this Netherlands map on reddit.

E: Content:

More maps of Britain need Clarkson clearly labelled so that people may avoid him at all times.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I thought he lived on some stupid island to avoid taxes?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

How can you not like Manx cats? Are they big jerks or something?

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Zohar posted:

And "Looks like a cock" is a reference to the Mull of Kintyre test!

According to the text under the image for that article the tip of the peninsula is technically the "headland" :haw:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Chicken posted:

Crime in Canada is actually highest in medium sized urban areas (1,000-100,000 people).

This doesn't really apply to the the territories, New Brunswick, or PEI since they don't have any cities over 100,000 people. Probably a lot of reasons for this: more effective policing and social programs in large cities, higher aboriginal populations in small cities and rural areas, transient workers in smaller cities especially in Western Canada and the North, higher income and education levels in large cities, etc.

Man 1000 to 100,000 is a hell of a spread to call medium sized.

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

According to the text under the image for that article the tip of the peninsula is technically the "headland" :haw:

It just goes to show that it really doesn't matter what your local culture is known for, if you live on a peninsula that's even vaguely phallic looking you'll get called a dong on these stereotype maps.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Family Values posted:

It just goes to show that it really doesn't matter what your local culture is known for, if you live on a peninsula that's even vaguely phallic looking you'll get called a dong on these stereotype maps.

Honestly looking I think the united states is hung as hell after looking at florida but then I get depressed when I peep Scandinavia and figure that's even with shrinkage.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

ekuNNN posted:

How the gently caress much cheese do you have to eat to be called a "Cheesehead" in Holland? I'd walk down a street when I was there and there were like 4 shops right next to each other, all selling gouda and nothing else, and all were full of people.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Count Roland posted:

How the gently caress much cheese do you have to eat to be called a "Cheesehead" in Holland? I'd walk down a street when I was there and there were like 4 shops right next to each other, all selling gouda and nothing else, and all were full of people.

My guess is that the mapmaker put that there because the region is known for its traditional cheese markets.

It is also known for its many hundreds of windmills, traditional clothing and wooden shoes.

Yes, that region is about half of Holland. Most of the other half is the 'Backyard to the Big Cities' area which contains the city of Gouda itself. If you have any stupid friends who pronounce it 'goo-dah', please tell them 'ou' is pronounced like 'ow' in the word 'cow'.

The rest of the Netherlands, i.e. the center, east, northeast and south, do not belong to the provinces of Holland and have a bunch of different cultures, which are quite different from the stereotypical tourist view. People still eat a lot of cheese, but it's just a thing they do, not considered a part of their traditional culture as much.

Remember that the Netherlands has only been a kingdom for 200 years. Before that it had been a republic of states that had a lot of independence and didn't really feel very culturally connected to each other. The document that brought the Republic of the Seven United Netherlands into being was used as inspiration to write the American Declaration of Independence.

It's too bad that many tourists only see the Amsterdam and Holland cultures and don't visit any other parts of the country, there's a lot of nice stuff to see.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 3, 2014

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Carbon dioxide posted:

My guess is that the mapmaker put that there because the region is known for its traditional cheese markets.

Funny thing: the cheese market on the picture (in Alkmaar) is actually one of these organized for the tourists. The one that still exists as a true market is actually in Woerden in the province of Utrecht. Gouda in South Holland is a combination of tourism and an actual market IIRC.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Can anyone tell me about the mountains of the Netherlands?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I didn't know 'cheesehead' was a term the Dutch used themselves, I thought it was just a Flemish thing used to describe the Dutch in general. Then again, many people here also call them 'Hollanders', much like the rest of the world we have the tendency to substite the region of Holland for the entire country.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

This doesn't seem like a good method for transporting cheese. How do they keep it from rocking, and having the cheeses fall off?

fermun
Nov 4, 2009

Hedera Helix posted:

This doesn't seem like a good method for transporting cheese. How do they keep it from rocking, and having the cheeses fall off?

It doesn't rock side to side very much or forward and backwards very much because it's hanging on those suspenders from their shoulders, something with the mass that far below the point at which it'd rotate around is very stable. The same principle is true in airplanes and it's why fighter planes have their wings on the very bottom of the fuselage while transport planes have wings at the top of the fuselage.

Here's the cheese transport in action. It doesn't sway side to side or forward or back, but has some vertical bouncing, and that they just time it so they are taking steps at the same time.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Mongols could ride those dudes as somewhat stable mobile arrow launching platforms goddamn.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Can anyone tell me about the mountains of the Netherlands?

Of course. Our highest mountain* is the Vaalserberg which has the border tripoint Belgium/Netherlands/Germany on top. It reaches a massive height of 322 meters above sea level.

The general area is known for its caves, both natural and human-made ones. The rocks are mostly chalk, which was mined in the past. The chalk contains ancient fossilized shellfish.

For instance the tourist town of Valkenburg has a bunch of caves with regular tours. There's one that has a completely underground church hidden in its depths, which was used during times of war. There's also a cave which has prehistoric cave paintings.

*This is technically not true, anymore. There are six Caribbean islands that are part of the Kingdom. Originally, they were their own country within the Kingdom, and the continental Netherlands was another country within the same Kingdom (compare the UK which consists of several countries with their own governments). However, a few years ago three of the islands voted to become part of the European country of the Netherlands, and they got the status of 'special municipalities'. One of these special municipalities is the island of Saba, which has a 887 m high volcano called Mt. Scenery.

Carbon dioxide fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Sep 3, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Reading about overseas territories made me think of Clipperton Island, and apparently the local fauna is being disturbed by rats brought in wrecked ships :ohdear:

http://www.clipperton.fr/downloads/ArtPitman2006.pdf

Someone save the crabs and boobies!