Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
The problem with Undertale is: OK you know that guy at work/school/in public? You know the guy, he always has a joke for every situation and is constantly stopping you to show you his latest joke? At first you humor him cause hey, they're actually funny jokes. But then its day 20 and he's STILL making jokes about everything that happens and you're just so loving sick about it that you wanna smother him with a pillow just to shut him up from coming up with another hilarious quip.

Undertale is that guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

aardwolf posted:

Exactly how much time am I supposed to put in to this game before it magically turns good? 'cos I'm half an hour in and holy poo poo what a snooze fest.

'Half an hour in' doesn't give us much of an idea how far you are, especially in an RPG and especially in Undertale since there's a lot of things you could be skipping or spending more time on.

Generally, the point of view on when Undertale 'magically turns good' is when Sans and Papyrus get some room to move. The first section of the game was originally the demo, made well before the rest of the game, and it didn't get much polish afterwards. So it's got a very different feel, focusing far more on puzzles and combat rather than the balance the rest of the game strikes.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

aardwolf posted:

Exactly how much time am I supposed to put in to this game before it magically turns good? 'cos I'm half an hour in and holy poo poo what a snooze fest.

Have you made it through the ruins and town yet? Do you see any snow? Do you remember petting a dog far more times than is actually healthy? Did you accidently date a skeleton?

Or just stop playing the game and make some posts about how poo poo the game is, it's your choice here. Only thing that could be lost is your time.

Leal posted:

The problem with Undertale is: OK you know that guy at work/school/in public? You know the guy, he always has a joke for every situation and is constantly stopping you to show you his latest joke? At first you humor him cause hey, they're actually funny jokes. But then its day 20 and he's STILL making jokes about everything that happens and you're just so loving sick about it that you wanna smother him with a pillow just to shut him up from coming up with another hilarious quip.

Undertale is that guy.

Yep, that's Hotland for ya.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

RareAcumen posted:

Have you made it through the ruins and town yet? Do you see any snow? Do you remember petting a dog far more times than is actually healthy? Did you accidently date a skeleton?

Or just stop playing the game and make some posts about how poo poo the game is, it's your choice here. Only thing that could be lost is your time.

I mean, I did that stuff myself and the game has yet to pull me in. Not saying it's poo poo, but not something I'm into.

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Cleretic posted:

Generally, the point of view on when Undertale 'magically turns good' is when Sans and Papyrus get some room to move. The first section of the game was originally the demo, made well before the rest of the game, and it didn't get much polish afterwards. So it's got a very different feel, focusing far more on puzzles and combat rather than the balance the rest of the game strikes.

Alright, maybe I was a little impatient. I will give the game another go. Thanks, duder!

RareAcumen posted:

Um, I don't know how to respond to this other than to observe that I think you are projecting a bunch of stuff on to me that isn't true.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
If a game doesn't draw you in within the first ten minutes of gameplay, it is an objectively bad game.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
Some people on the internet are way too concerned about making sure everyone else has the same videogame opinions they do. It's okay if someone doesn't like a game that you like.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
The first section of the game was made years ago for the demo, and it really shows because it's worse than the rest of the game. The dev really should have gone back and given it some improvements.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

aardwolf posted:

Um, I don't know how to respond to this other than to observe that I think you are projecting a bunch of stuff on to me that isn't true.

If you don't like the game then make some posts about how you didn't like the game, in this, the thing dragging this game down thread. I don't think it's projecting that much to say 'Either give it till here or just stop and post about what you didn't enjoy'

kazil posted:

I mean, I did that stuff myself and the game has yet to pull me in. Not saying it's poo poo, but not something I'm into.

And that's okay and I'm not saying you're wrong? I'm not saying everyone needs to have the same video game opinions as everyone- or I'm not trying to come off that way- I'm just trying to give the point where the game generally hooks people and if it doesn't work for you, well then it doesn't work for you. I know I didn't care for Deus Ex Human Revolution, despite it being generally favorably received.

RareAcumen has a new favorite as of 10:49 on Mar 12, 2016

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Screaming Idiot posted:

If a game doesn't draw you in within the first ten minutes of gameplay, it is an objectively bad game.

The thing dragging Undertale down is that I liked it so much that I now feel really bad for people who don't get into it.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
I had to start undertale over 3 times before I got into it because I'd just be exhausted by the end of the intro area and be like "well if this is all I'm going to get for the next few hours I dunno it I'm sold."
I finally bit the bullet and kept going and the game improved dramatically once I cleared the ruins.
I hear major game developers usually do the intro part of the game last, once the games vision is further along and it can be given the most polish, because it's so important to draw the player in and this game really needed some of that.

RagnarokAngel has a new favorite as of 18:41 on Mar 12, 2016

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
The thing that drags the Dark Souls series down for me is the way a lot of its fans try to present the series to other people as this ridiculously impossible super hardcore game. I mean I love Dark Souls but come on, it's not that hard, you just have to pay a bit of attention.

Actually a significant chunk of the Dark Souls fanbase are tools now that I think of it. The series is light on plot but has interesting story clues and snippets in item descriptions that you can take a look at if you're interested, but that got warped into "you have to read all the item descriptions!" Plus, woe betide you if you record or stream a Dark Souls game and are anything less than optimal, because you WILL get jumped on for it. The comment sections in Slowbeef's videos of Dark Souls and Bloodborne get this a lot.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.

Dr Snofeld posted:

The thing that drags the Dark Souls series down for me is the way a lot of its fans try to present the series to other people as this ridiculously impossible super hardcore game. I mean I love Dark Souls but come on, it's not that hard, you just have to pay a bit of attention.

I did this recently. :sweatdrop: I gave my ps3 copy to some friends and said, "try this, you'll die a lot!" but not in some tryhard tone but more jokingly.

I ragequit my first run bc I kept dying to the basilisks in the depths, and I think the only way to get a purging stone at the time was to farm 6000 souls and get it from the hollow peddler behind the bars. when I got back to the game years later I learned how to avoid all the drops that brought me to the curse pit.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The fans are definitely the worst part of the Souls games and that weird game of telephone happens to pretty much every aspect of them. Like the Drake Sword. A mediocre weapon that scales up badly but you can get it early on so it's nice to have if you're struggling in the first area. Especially since you get it by shooting the tail off of a giant dragon you wouldn't normally even think of fighting since it can one shot you with ease. I've seen people in streams lose their poo poo because the streamer grabbed it to make the next few rooms easier while they waited to get the stats for their main weapon build or whatever. Because apparently just touching the thing means you're forever a poo poo casual.

Sleeveless
Dec 25, 2014

by Pragmatica

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Some people on the internet are way too concerned about making sure everyone else has the same videogame opinions they do. It's okay if someone doesn't like a game that you like.

It's the people who don't like the game* that are the ones going out of their way to shout from the rooftops that the highest-rated game of all time on Metacritic is actually complete dogshit and that everyone who likes is wrong, though... :irony:

*Note: may not have actually played more than 20 minutes of the game

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

Sleeveless posted:

It's the people who don't like the game* that are the ones going out of their way to shout from the rooftops that the highest-rated game of all time on Metacritic is actually complete dogshit and that everyone who likes is wrong, though... :irony:

*Note: may not have actually played more than 20 minutes of the game

Have you even seen the comments and poo poo people get for not liking Undertale on any site? Go to Steam and read the comments of the negative reviews. Even if the review is "It wasn't for me, but I can see why people like it" there'll be at least 5 people screaming at them to kill themselves for bringing the rating down a tiny bit.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

The Ruins area in Undertale was created three years ago for the demo. It's definitely not representative of the rest of the game.

Anyways, a thing dragging Stardew Valley down is the fishing mini-game. Maybe it gets better as you level up fishing, but holy poo poo it's annoying when you're just starting out.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Dr Snofeld posted:

Dark Souls is hard because you have to think and pay attention, which you honestly really don't have to do in most games. If you know what's going on, it doesn't demand that much actual dexterity or skill on the player's behalf. It's just that if you play lazy you're gonna get your rear end kicked, and if you're stupid and lack pattern recognition then you'll have more trouble with it than you're probably supposed to. The reputation the games have is probably predicated on that.

The only exception to me is Bloodborne, which I have beaten several times and still struggle with because it's such a fast-paced game.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Dr Christmas posted:

They get their fuel from the same place all the abandoned buildings get their power.

I'll accept it.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Swedish Horror posted:

The Ruins area in Undertale was created three years ago for the demo. It's definitely not representative of the rest of the game.

Anyways, a thing dragging Stardew Valley down is the fishing mini-game. Maybe it gets better as you level up fishing, but holy poo poo it's annoying when you're just starting out.

It gets much easier as you level up fishing.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Screaming Idiot posted:

lol

edit: yeah cause some good games don't have rough or slow starts like Borderlands, Dead Rising, Fallout (from 3 onwards), nah those are poo poo cause the first ten minutes don't define the rest of the game :shittydog:

edit 2: Something dragging down the Fallout series for me is that Bethesda emphasizes parts of gameplay, new or not, without really expanding on them. Customizable guns? Sweet, except you need to forage the wasteland for all the adhesive in the world to attach any modification to a gun, which is where the realism aspect of the scavenging is just, dumb. Another stupid part of customization is needing to upgrade the loving skills to upgrade your guns, and even though they tried to give a lot of the tiers of modifications different abilities like better crit damage, better accuracy and less damage, it doesn't loving matter because upgrading the damage output pretty much always curbs the other possibilities.

spit on my clit has a new favorite as of 18:58 on Mar 12, 2016

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
The question is how long you should have to invest in a game before writing it off, we're not made of free time after all. I think about an hour is a decent length of time to get the measure of a game, if there's nothing you really enjoy in it after that that makes you want to come back then it's not the game for you.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Dr Snofeld posted:

I think that's what makes it so hard for a lot of people. You play enough action/adventure/FPS games and you get used to a certain way of playing. Enemies pop out of nowhere, damage is something you give and take, more or less you're moving around and even if you get surprised or ambushed you can probably take down the enemy without much of a hindrance. In Dark Souls nearly everything coming at you is telegraphed if you're paying attention and it'll probably kill you if you're not. In some ways it felt more like a puzzle game to me because each enemy encounter was less '"I'm gonna hit them with my sword a lot before they hit me with their sword a lot" and more "okay so there are three enemies with such and such weapons and abilities up ahead, how can I take them down without leaving myself vulnerable to any of them?"

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Assassin's Creed: Rogue has a great main-campaign that's better paced than Black Flag, and with no eavesdropping bullshit. The problem, however, is that all the side-activities are all the same, and often reward you bugger all.

You can find 24 treasure maps, which tell you the hiding places of 24 relics, which unlocks a suit of armour that does nothing.

You can activate all 7 magic Native American pillars which unlocks a hideous suit of armour that also does nothing.

You can find all 15 pieces of a Viking Sword, giving you a weapon outclassed by anything you can buy in a shop, as well as a suit that does nothing.

There's a staggering number of treasure chests that give you gently caress-all money and tokens that don't do anything. I thought Donkey Kong 3D killed off the collect-athon?

Money becomes plentiful after a while, meaning you can skip hunting for crafting items. I never once harpooned a whale since I could just buy whale skin in the shop.

The game really struggles to justify why it takes place over three huge maps when its optional content is so slight. I feel the AC games would feel less formulaic if it were structured like an RPG, where every single quest is hand-crafted. and there is a story attached to your every action. The Templar Hunts from Black Flag were really inspired, and in the right direction, because it was the only time you interacted with not-faceless NPCs in a sidequest.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

The thing dragging down assassin's creed is only one of them had sea shanties. I assume.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kit Walker posted:

I think that's what makes it so hard for a lot of people. You play enough action/adventure/FPS games and you get used to a certain way of playing. Enemies pop out of nowhere, damage is something you give and take, more or less you're moving around and even if you get surprised or ambushed you can probably take down the enemy without much of a hindrance. In Dark Souls nearly everything coming at you is telegraphed if you're paying attention and it'll probably kill you if you're not. In some ways it felt more like a puzzle game to me because each enemy encounter was less '"I'm gonna hit them with my sword a lot before they hit me with their sword a lot" and more "okay so there are three enemies with such and such weapons and abilities up ahead, how can I take them down without leaving myself vulnerable to any of them?"

My solution to every problem ended up being two handing a Black Knight Longsword and stabbing things in the dick. That strategy got me through Sens all the way to Gwyn. Turns out even iron golems are weak to that strategy.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

2house2fly posted:

The question is how long you should have to invest in a game before writing it off, we're not made of free time after all. I think about an hour is a decent length of time to get the measure of a game, if there's nothing you really enjoy in it after that that makes you want to come back then it's not the game for you.

Nobody can tell you, you have to figure it out for yourself because it differs for every person.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Undertale just has a really ridiculous and rabid fanbase, even the creator doesn't like them.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

In Fallout 4, I just got to VaultTec HQ. It's poo poo.

It's only 3 short floors of like 4 rooms a piecz and a basement the size of a two-car garage, has a handful of terminals just talking about a Patrick Bateman boss, and no actual tie into the company's concrete presence in the game. Swap out "my boss doesn't believe me that the Vaults are Experiements!" with pretty much anything else, and its tie into Vault-Tec is meaningless.

This place should have had vault locations get marked on your map, include a bobblehead of some kind to reward your explanation, and let you get up on the rooftops from a CEO's office or something like other high rises do. This was a location people told me to seek out because it's cool, and there was zero reason to even show up besides picking up a few stupid lunchboxes and OHK-ing a half dozen ghouls

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Isn't Vault-Tec HQ in DC?

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

They have a regional HQ in Boston, which is the location I was at.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

death .cab for qt posted:

They have a regional HQ in Boston, which is the location I was at.

That's pretty dumb, then, cause the one in DC does mark all the Capital's vaults on your map.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Alteisen posted:

Undertale/Dark Souls/Dota 2/Call of Duty just has a really ridiculous and rabid fanbase, even the creator doesn't like them.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Did you know the director of Black Ops has around the clock bodyguards?

That's insane to me.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Alteisen posted:

Did you know the director of Black Ops has around the clock bodyguards?

That's insane to me.

Aren't there youtube personalities who have to have a bodyguard with them when they go to conventions cause of crazy fans?

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

I don't know but I definitely remember seeing one call of duty designer (might be him) getting an incredible volume of death threats because he increased the time between shots on some sniper rifle by maybe a tenth of a second.

Gamers are the thing dragging this game down.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Alteisen posted:

Undertale just has a really ridiculous and rabid fanbase, even the creator doesn't like them.

Toby Fox is fine with his fans. Guy worked on Homestuck, he's seen worse.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Digirat posted:

I don't know but I definitely remember seeing one call of duty designer (might be him) getting an incredible volume of death threats because he increased the time between shots on some sniper rifle by maybe a tenth of a second.

Yea that's him Vondeehar, dude has bodyguards ALL THE TIME with him like high ranking government officials do.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Digirat posted:

I remember that. The overreaction was obviously barking mad but for what its worth in multiplayer shootman games .05 seconds is a noticeable and meaningful difference and I don't mean for people who win lans with hefty prizepools but for regular chumps like me too. I wasn't playing cod but I remember thinking the dev shouldn't have played the situation like it was next to nothing because obviously if it was why bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Krinkle posted:

The thing dragging down assassin's creed is only one of them had sea shanties. I assume.

Black Flag and Rogue both have shanties, but that's still a far too low shanty percentage.