Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

In KOTOR 2 the Exile left the Academy before Revan, and did so because of what she viewed as injustice/lack of response by the Jedi. In SWTOR she left the Jedi because of Revan, you see she loved him from afar, and couldn't find a better way to be close to him then joining his army.

In KOTOR 2 she became a General after fighting in battles for 10+ years. In SWTOR she was promoted because she was loving Revan on the side, and he was the one in charge of all Republic affairs.

In KOTOR 2 she gave the order to commit mass genocide as a tactical move. Something that needed to be done to preserve the Republic, as all alternatives would have ended in loss. In SWTOR she actually didn't have anything to do with the Mass Generator, Bao Dur did it all by himself because he was actually the General, she was just nearby when it happened because her lover Revan didn't want her near the fight against Mandalore the Unbreakable which was happening nearby.

In KOTOR 2 she left to find Revan to figure out what happened to him. In SWTOR she left to find him because she desperately needed to be with him again.

In SWTOR she joined with Revan, who decided they needed to kill the Emperor. They found a guy named Lord Scourge who happened to be the Emperor's bodyguard/a pureblood Sith, who told them he was down to help them kill the Emperor. Revan just immediately trusted him, because why not. Oh wait, during the battle with the Emperor, Lord Scourge HAD A VISION that the Emperor could only be beaten by the Jedi Knight PC a few hundreds years down the line, so he stabbed her in the back to give Revan angst over losing her due to making bad choices. Her last act was to become a damsel in death.

The reasoning given by Bioware when a few fans got angry at them during an AMA was that it wasn't their call in the end. LucasArts demanded she be killed/KotOR2 be wiped from canon as best possible when they went forward with SWTOR.

Rookersh fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Oct 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Anyone know the scoop on the new civ game? It comes out on my birthday, but my past experiences with civ games on launch have not been the best, and I still am playing 5, which I don't even have all the expansions for yet.

I'd be better off waiting for expansions/sales most likely, right?

Why am I a dumb idiot who wants to buy poo poo?

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Bound By Flame thoughts?

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Crap, I just knew she died in a real dumb way, not that it was outright character assassination.

Good riddance to Lucas Arts then.

Stan Taylor posted:

Anyone know the scoop on the new civ game? It comes out on my birthday, but my past experiences with civ games on launch have not been the best, and I still am playing 5, which I don't even have all the expansions for yet.

I'd be better off waiting for expansions/sales most likely, right?

Why am I a dumb idiot who wants to buy poo poo?
I'd say its a safe bet to wait until it comes out to see if its like Vanilla Civ 5 or not. If it is like Civ 5 wait until an expansion.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Rookersh posted:

Obsidian pissed off LucasArts so hard they demanded Obsidian's writing be purged from their precious canon.

Dear Disney: Ya done good.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Rookersh posted:

The reasoning given by Bioware when a few fans got angry at them during an AMA was that it wasn't their call in the end. LucasArts demanded she be killed/KotOR2 be wiped from canon as best possible when they went forward with SWTOR.

If that is true, that doesn't seem like the best possible way.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

SO blood bowl is on sale. Is it any good? Which is the one to get, chaos or legendary edition?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

smenj posted:

I know it's already been suggested, but I'll throw in another recommendation for Trails in the Sky, since the main character of that is probably one of my favourite main characters in any game.

Yeah, I need to go back and finish it but Estelle is seriously amazing.

Industrial
May 31, 2001

Everyone here wishes I would ragequit my life
When does Glados indicate a gender in Portal?

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

Industrial posted:

When you find out she's Cave Johnson's assistants mind shoved into an AI.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Industrial posted:

In Portal 2 its revealed that GLADOS is actually Cave Johnson's assistant, Caroline, whose mind was uploaded to make GLADOS' AI.

*edit* Beaten

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

A thought occurred to me about KotOR2.

How much of retconning it in the shittiest way possible was LucasArts being exceptionally regressive and how much of it was Bioware being exceptionally regressive, because :yikes:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Sir Unimaginative posted:

A thought occurred to me about KotOR2.

How much of retconning it in the shittiest way possible was LucasArts being exceptionally regressive and how much of it was Bioware being exceptionally regressive, because :yikes:
The former most likely. Bioware may not be the greatest writers but they don't seem that petty. Lucas Art is.

I AM BRAWW
Jul 18, 2014

RBX posted:

Bound By Flame thoughts?

Poor man's janky Witcher 2 that's pretty hardcore on the hardest difficulty.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

HogX posted:

SO blood bowl is on sale. Is it any good? Which is the one to get, chaos or legendary edition?

Chaos edition is legendary with extra teams in it. If you're gonna get one, get that one (though you can still play against those teams in legendary, you just can't make one yourself). Blood Bowl is fun if it's the kind of thing you're into. Check out cknoor's LP of it on Baldurdash if you want to see what it's like in practice.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Lucasarts is the one that doesnt think people would buy their old adventure games so I generally lean on them being the stupid ones in any scenario

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Lance Streetman posted:

Yeah, I need to go back and finish it but Estelle is seriously amazing.

Woah woah TitS is a really good game and a great modern JRPG but the characters are not good. The main cast are all shallow anime tropes but I'm only 5 playable characters in so maybe it gets better. It's a must-play but not because of the characters. They're all cookie-cutter anime tropes and the dialog is okay at best.

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

Quest For Glory II posted:

Lucasarts is the one that doesnt think people would buy their old adventure games so I generally lean on them being the stupid ones in any scenario

Between DOSBox, ScummVM, and GOG they're basically sitting on free money and holy gently caress just let me buy all of the X-Wing series of games. Also find the source code so people can mod them like they do Freespace 2 and I will never need another space game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

FadedReality posted:

Between DOSBox, ScummVM, and GOG they're basically sitting on free money and holy gently caress just let me buy all of the X-Wing series of games. Also find the source code so people can mod them like they do Freespace 2 and I will never need another space game.
It's in Disney's hands now and considering that they were convinced to greenlight a Grim Fandango remake its not impossible that they'll release the old Lucas Arts backlog.

Coca Koala
Nov 28, 2005

ongoing nowhere
College Slice
I just saw a thing called Sid Meier's Covert Action on Steam, which apparently was first released in 1990. I've never heard of it, but it looks very much like everything I ever wanted in a video game. Has anybody picked this up to confirm if my childhood dreams are coming true? It's got no reviews on steam yet, so I guess it's a new release.

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.

Coca Koala posted:

I just saw a thing called Sid Meier's Covert Action on Steam, which apparently was first released in 1990. I've never heard of it, but it looks very much like everything I ever wanted in a video game. Has anybody picked this up to confirm if my childhood dreams are coming true? It's got no reviews on steam yet, so I guess it's a new release.

Just saw the same game too. Never heard of it, but it looks interesting.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Coca Koala posted:

It's a pretty cool game, if flawed in some respects.

Though I don't think it's really supposed to be (or at least needs to be) labeled "Classic" and they got my hopes up with that. :( I would love a Covert Action remake.

Edit: Goon Frankomatic has a substantial number of gameplay videos here if you'd like to get a feel for the game.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

Accordion Man posted:

The former most likely. Bioware may not be the greatest writers but they don't seem that petty. Lucas Art is.

In the eyes of Lucasarts (and a bunch of gamers too before Obsidian got on a hot streak), Obsidian tanked the KOTOR franchise with KOTOR 2. I have a feeling that's why the pitches to do more Star Wars wasn't answered.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

It's in Disney's hands now and considering that they were convinced to greenlight a Grim Fandango remake its not impossible that they'll release the old Lucas Arts backlog.
Right but in the argument of "is Lucasarts stupid" I would consider that exhibit A for "Yes"

Max Peck
Oct 12, 2013

You know you're having a bad day when a Cylon ambush would improve it.

Coca Koala posted:

I liked it, although it gets repetitive fairly quickly. There's an LP of it that starts with a pretty good text/screenshot explanation of what's going on.

EDIT: beaten, kinda, but the posts are probably worthwhile too.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

Tezzeract posted:

In the eyes of Lucasarts (and a bunch of gamers too before Obsidian got on a hot streak), Obsidian tanked the KOTOR franchise with KOTOR 2. I have a feeling that's why the pitches to do more Star Wars wasn't answered.

It's funny because LucasArts forced Obsidian to ship KOTOR 2 in basically a half-finished state for the holidays. Retconning KOTOR2 is equally amusing considering its story and characters are still better than most games (including SWTOR).

e: pretty much this as well:

Right but in the argument of "is Lucasarts stupid" I would consider that exhibit A for "Yes"

mr. nobody
Sep 25, 2004

Net contents 12 fluid oz.
Here have some free steam games, descriptions are so you can claim codes for games you are interested in, and not take them all like a jerk!

THE SUN AT NIGHT (2d metroidvania(?) platformer where you are a dog, map/layout is a hybrid 3d grid, gameplay is 2d)
QHPAJ-04VF7-J2ALX

HUNTSMAN: THE ORPHANAGE (save orphans in a maze first person perspective no fighting probably jump scares)
LZCFA-EW6BP-PY3K7

PARANORMAL STATE: POISON SPRING (point and click story/puzzler)
BEKG8-8A0VJ-255QE

MAJOR MAYHEM (2d sidescroll platformer/shooter?)
7YJBZ-3H7HG-JBVQJ

POWER-UP (shoot em up of unknown quality)
XCFPY-VIP9Q-0TTJ8

THE SAMARITAN PARADOX (point and click 'solve the suicide' of unknown quality)
GI2JV-74G27-D5TT2

KINGDOM ELEMENTAL (some kind of hybrid RTS/ARPG game with clunky looking graphics but ok reviews)
DPZ64-QZVZZ-AGWFM

BATTLEPATHS (lower budget/simpler dungeons of dredmor, is what the reviews point towards)
C4IM5-QYFFD-LKZTI

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.
oops, quote is not edit.

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

mr. nobody posted:

POWER-UP (shoot em up of unknown quality)
I took this because I am interested in it. Thank you for giving out a bunch of keys!

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Heran Bago posted:

Woah woah TitS is a really good game and a great modern JRPG but the characters are not good. The main cast are all shallow anime tropes but I'm only 5 playable characters in so maybe it gets better. It's a must-play but not because of the characters. They're all cookie-cutter anime tropes and the dialog is okay at best.

Well, yes it IS a JRPG. Also, the cast does have a lot of depth for one. It does take a while for them to really show it. Trails big thing is that it REALLY builds an interesting world as well.

(Except Estelle. Estelle's pretty much an open book for the most part.)

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

mr. nobody posted:

Here have some free steam games, descriptions are so you can claim codes for games you are interested in, and not take them all like a jerk!

THE SUN AT NIGHT (2d metroidvania(?) platformer where you are a dog, map/layout is a hybrid 3d grid, gameplay is 2d)
QHPAJ-04VF7-J2ALX
Expected this to be taken but it wasn't. Thanks!

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

mr. nobody posted:

PARANORMAL STATE: POISON SPRING (point and click story/puzzler)
BEKG8-8A0VJ-255QE

I grabbed this one. Thanks!

FadedReality
Sep 5, 2007

Okurrrr?

mr. nobody posted:

MAJOR MAYHEM (2d sidescroll platformer/shooter?)
7YJBZ-3H7HG-JBVQJ

Got this! Thanks! :woop:

smenj
Oct 10, 2012

Heran Bago posted:

Differing opinions and all, but I can't emphasise enough how much I disagree with this. The story, while great, is somewhat cliché (though it really builds up towards the end), and the gameplay's fun, but you'll spend much more time in the game reading dialogue than battling. The thing that kept me coming back the most (enough to play through again on PC after having finished it on Vita) was the characters and their dialogue. I mean, they're all clichéd to varying degrees, but I found them to be consistently well-written and entertaining.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
KOTOR 2 wasn't all that good - it's got two opening dungeons to get through to start exploring, many of the characters don't have the interesting dialogue from the LP unless you suck up to them, some of the cut content is just awful (the HK factory mission takes forever and is poorly placed right when you're going to go after the main antagonist) - don't get me wrong, there's some good stuff with the unreliable squadmate in Kreia but there's also a lot of not good stuff.

Rukus
Mar 13, 2007

Hmph.

monster on a stick posted:

KOTOR 2 wasn't all that good - it's got two opening dungeons to get through to start exploring, many of the characters don't have the interesting dialogue from the LP unless you suck up to them, some of the cut content is just awful (the HK factory mission takes forever and is poorly placed right when you're going to go after the main antagonist) - don't get me wrong, there's some good stuff with the unreliable squadmate in Kreia but there's also a lot of not good stuff.

Yeah, the opening can be a bore, but I'd figure that a lot of that stuff had to be put together to make it for release. The cut content is just that, cut content put together by modders which is no way indicative of what the final product could have been if Obsidian was given enough time to finish it.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

I don't think that Monkey Island 2 remake actually sold all that much.

AlbertRayon
Sep 9, 2004

Hey, hey what can I do? I got a woman, she won't be true.

computer parts posted:

I don't think that Monkey Island 2 remake actually sold all that much.

Maybe not enough to justify remaking them all, but it wouldn't take all that much effort just to make sure they work on modern machines and release them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

More effort than what they think they'd get back from it, apparently. It'd be more of a goodwill gesture than to make money if they did that. And they never will now since LucasArts doesn't exist anymore. Wouldn't be surprising if the only way we'll ever see those games upgraded at all is in a situation similar to Grim Fandango.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
I'm just popping back in here to say that I've been playing Splinter Cell Blacklist and it's pretty loving rad.

I'm trying to mostly ghost my way unnoticed through levels, but sometimes I just gotta cut a bitch. It's a VERY nice looking game, too.

Anyway, the stealth gameplay is pretty great and the kind of open environment for each stage is quite nicely done. Its environment traversal is a lot more realistic than Dishonored (I just mention Dishonored because I love it so), so it's not as 'fun' and 'fast' perhaps, but I honestly think the layout of the environment is superior - in that it's more tied to the gameplay which helps make stalking dudes a little more interesting.

As stealth games they're not particularly comparable, but it's a very good and immersive 3rd person cover stealther. You can also play it balls out like Modern Warfare or something, but I like the sneaking.

• Locked thread