Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JOHNSON COCKSLAP
Apr 2, 2017

by Lowtax
nazis wear everything but black laces.

the other nazis only wear black laces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
You can tell a skinhead or an Alt-Right by how they tie their shoes.

in little nazis

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I had no idea people didn't know about the Docs laces thing.
I thought maybe it was more of a UK think but the SPLC has it on their Racist Skinhead Glossary, and the Anti Defamation League

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Krispy Wafer posted:

You can tell a skinhead or an Alt-Right by how they tie their shoes.

in little nazis

:drat:

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Red on black, venom lack. Red on yellow, kill a fellow.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Iron Crowned posted:

:rip: your marriage, none of us were really buying her as your beard anyway

Please don't give yourself a beard of gay bees. That's for sure fascist symbolism.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I used to wear a pair of white combat boots (spray painted every night before a show) with black laces, that must have been some confusing messaging.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Neo-nazis are really into codes and dogwhistle poo poo that only those in the know will get. Like they love Lonsdale shirts because when you wear a jacket over them it blocks out the letters at the back and front leaving nsda which is just one letter off from being NSDAP. Also all that numerology bullshit with 14/88.

Yet at the same time a lot of them have obvious and highly visible Nazi tattoos. They like to have their cake and decorate with a huge swastika too.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

What I'm taking from this is that Doc Martens have a huge image problem

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
apparently a nazi made them so yeah...big image problem

kinda wish nazis had latched onto volkswagon in the same way, i think it would be funny to see a bunch of skinheads trying to look tough in a buggie

Depressio111117
Oct 18, 2014

A whole world of imagination beyond the oompah band.
How the heck is it that I came to associate Doc Martens with lesbians?

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Depressio111117 posted:

No idea, but I had a lesbian call me a poser for wearing docs a few years ago.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Depressio111117 posted:

Doc Martens? I thought that was something else.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqDv8fHHE-w&t=85s

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

FreudianSlippers posted:

Neo-nazis are really into codes and dogwhistle poo poo that only those in the know will get. Like they love Lonsdale shirts because when you wear a jacket over them it blocks out the letters at the back and front leaving nsda which is just one letter off from being NSDAP.
Wasn't there even a company that made bootleg shirts that said CONSDAPLE, same design and all?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Alhazred posted:

Surprisingly many.

Some cold-blooded murder going on in the background there. Are guns like Bettas in that you have to keep them separated or they kill each other?

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Jaguars! posted:

What I'm taking from this is that Doc Martens have a huge image problem

And to think they had such a great theme song... what a waste.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nu3McjajsNE

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hahahah I knew you were posting that!
I didn't know a lot of people in the scene back in the early 90s that wore Docs, mostly skate shoes and Fleuvogs.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Johnny Aztec posted:

Not that those people you describe aren't retards (they are). I was reading a paper over how half the soy protein, your body doesn't even use and it just gets flushed out.
And you are implying that the estrogen in Soy can or does have little to no effect on the male body?

Nah, just that in general it’s silly to go on about not eating soy then blithely using a project with soy because people like that don’t take extra time to read labels or bother with things like “facts” and “science.”

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

mandatory lesbian posted:

apparently a nazi made them so yeah...big image problem

Didn't hurt Hugo Boss.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL posted:

Nah, just that in general it’s silly to go on about not eating soy then blithely using a project with soy because people like that don’t take extra time to read labels or bother with things like “facts” and “science.”

Okay then we're in complete agreement. Let's be best friends.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Phanatic posted:

Didn't hurt Hugo Boss.

Or Bayer.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Phanatic posted:

Didn't hurt Hugo Boss.

Or Volkswagen, or Fanta, or Adidas, or Puma.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Or Volkswagen, or Fanta, or Adidas, or Puma.

I mean, those were all companies that just happened to exist during a fascist regime and kept doing business as normal.

Hugo Boss himself was such an ardent Nazi that he joined before Hitler ever took power, gladly designed SS uniforms, and used slave labor. He ended up being legally forced out of his company after the war and his son-in-law took over ownership.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

chitoryu12 posted:

I mean, those were all companies that just happened to exist during a fascist regime and kept doing business as normal.

Hugo Boss himself was such an ardent Nazi that he joined before Hitler ever took power, gladly designed SS uniforms, and used slave labor. He ended up being legally forced out of his company after the war and his son-in-law took over ownership.

No they weren’t?

Volkswagen was Nazi vapourware, put into production after the war.

Fanta was specifically a product of Coca‐Cola’s German branch because they couldn’t get cola ingredients, but yes, the Coca‐Cola mothership did exist before and after the war.

A case could be made that Adidas and Puma (one company at the time) were doing business as usual, but war was a formative moment for these businesses. The Dassler Brothers jumped on the Nazi bandwagon early, made boots for the Wehrmacht, and made anti‐tank weapons. They broke apart and formed separate companies due to their wartime disagreements.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty
...And in my example of Bayer Pharmaceuticals, they uh, made the gas for the showers...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Choco1980 posted:

...And in my example of Bayer Pharmaceuticals, they uh, made the gas for the showers...

Phone posting but the Evonik company has a line on their website about how a company they bought manufactured Zyklon B and it was typically used as a delouse agent but the SS misused a small percent to kill a million people.

Something about their wording makes me laugh it's like they tried to undersell how bad the gas was.

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

Volkswagen was Nazi vapourware

Misread this as Nazi Vaporwave, got really interested for a second.

pokemon
Dec 1, 2017

by Smythe
zyklon b was nazi vapourwave

il_cornuto
Oct 10, 2004

Actually they were black metal https://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Zyklon-B/1421

quote:

The band itself states that "Zyklon-B is not related to any kind of political or racial preference."

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Samoth later had a band just called Zyklon that he claims is merely a play on the Norwegian word for “cyclone.” My dude you already had a band called Zyklon-B!

Black metal musicians using Nazi imagery and then hiding from it is a dumb move in marketing that happens all the time.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

guys, mass murdering people with poison gas is just my preference, okay?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Platystemon posted:

No they weren’t?

The VW Beetle was notoriously designed to carry a family of four with the ulterior motive of being able to be retasked as carrying a machine gun and crew.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Platystemon posted:

No they weren’t?

Fanta was specifically a product of Coca‐Cola’s German branch because they couldn’t get cola ingredients, but yes, the Coca‐Cola mothership did exist before and after the war.

A case could be made that Adidas and Puma (one company at the time) were doing business as usual, but war was a formative moment for these businesses. The Dassler Brothers jumped on the Nazi bandwagon early, made boots for the Wehrmacht, and made anti‐tank weapons. They broke apart and formed separate companies due to their wartime disagreements.

My point was that the other companies just existed under a fascist regime and continued to operate as normal. Every country's businesses do work for the government they exist under, and if you're doing business when your country is being commanded by fascists trying to conquer their way across Europe you don't have a whole lot of choices other than "Make stuff for the government when they contract you for it" and "Pack up everything and abandon the country in protest, and hope that you don't get deemed a traitor to the cause." There's a lot of stories about how everyone from bus drivers to teachers to factory workers in Nazi Germany found that they were at risk of losing their jobs unless they joined the Nazi party; this led to a lot of issues in post-war Denazification because they realized that you couldn't just eject every Nazi party member from their jobs without the whole country collapsing. Cyrano4747 has a really good post on the subject that I should find.

Hugo Boss as a company is barely the same one now that existed during World War II, because the actual man Hugo Boss was such an ardent Nazi that he joined before it was the only politically acceptable option and got legally banned from doing business after the war. Hugo Boss suits didn't exist until years after the war ended, with the company that bore his name being run by a son-in-law.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Depressio111117 posted:

Because Docs were the default punk footwear for a long time and Riot Grrrls never let it go.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

You can go here to find the posts on Denazification. It's incredibly long so I probably shouldn't copy and paste it here, but it's a really good look from a historian as to why not all companies in Germany were the same in terms of Nazi support.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Wow, this poo poo is ten years old: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0G0LlXv-nyI

All I want for Christmas is a PSP. I remember cringing at this poo poo as a kid. It's so blatant, cheap, and simply bad. It was the first real faux-viral marketing gently caress up I think I've witnessed, or at least, it's the earliest and clearest in my head. That ad made me want a PSP even less.

Grey Fox
Jan 5, 2004

Well as long as we're doing holiday throwbacks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZnqBL6iYjA

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Penpal posted:

All I want for Christmas is a PSP. I remember cringing at this poo poo as a kid. It's so blatant, cheap, and simply bad. It was the first real faux-viral marketing gently caress up I think I've witnessed, or at least, it's the earliest and clearest in my head. That ad made me want a PSP even less.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgADDXyWJEE

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Penpal posted:

I used to get this fucker stuck in my head once in a while, but I'd forgotten about it 'til now. drat you to hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

You're forgetting the mother of bad PSP commercials

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vyqa4s55JbU

Personally, I don't think you should be playing with nuts outside.