Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

Gencon release highlight so far

Description:
Deck Building: The Deck Building Game combines the thrill of building your deck with the excitement of building your deck!

I was at Origins chatting with a buddy before we knew about this existing, and this exact idea came up between us. Later that day he came back by our booth and said "Sorry, someone beat us to it". Was so disappointed. I hope their game ends up being as ridiculous as it should be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
If every game doesn't end in an infinite combo then their satire has failed.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Bottom Liner posted:

Description:
Deck Building: The Deck Building Game combines the thrill of building your deck with the excitement of building your deck!

This could actually be a good game, if they combine say Dominions random Kingdoms but each person can construct their own unique starting deck based on a point buy system before hand, like Magic.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Oldstench posted:

Gonna have to help me out here. The DS rulebook is a shining example of how to write a heavy euro rulebook.

Quick, without looking it up, which glossary term is Dominance and which one is Domination?

How about how each player is an 'animal' but each animal has multiples 'species'.

Overloading english words in non-intuitive ways is not good rulebook design.

edit: I'm not claiming it's an awful rulebook, just that there are obvious ways it could be have been clearer and better. If you want an awful rulebook, take a look at Impulse, which manages to not have any particular errors or omissions, yet still completely fails to explain HOW TO PLAY the loving game until your third or fourth confused reread.

Tendales fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Jun 16, 2015

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Rutibex posted:

This could actually be a good game, if they combine say Dominions random Kingdoms but each person can construct their own unique starting deck based on a point buy system before hand, like Magic.

But wouldn't that be Deck Construction: The Deck Building Game???

Also it should have a Love Letter theme

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Tendales posted:

Quick, without looking it up, which glossary term is Dominance and which one is Domination?
Dominance is based on the elements on the tile compared the ones on your card, Domination is the step in which a tile is scored and the Dominant Species takes a card.

quote:

How about how each player is an 'animal' but each animal has multiples 'species'.
Honestly, the game is a bit misnamed. It should really be "Dominant Genus," or "Dominant Family," but neither has the same punch.

But yeah, every cube is a species, that's why the "make cubes" action is called "Speciation."

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Bottom Liner posted:

Description:

So Millennium Blades?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Oh wow, it's actually about building a wooden deck that's hilarious.

thespaceinvader posted:

That's pretty much the experience you can expect from Dungeon Lords forever TBH.
My review of Dungeon Lords is something like "playing perfectly seems impossible but the game lets you get close enough every time that you want to try again right away" and that's only become more true the more I play it. The game seems to actually enjoy pulling the rug out from underneath you.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Crackbone posted:

So Millennium Blades?

Do you nail together planks of wood to build patios with railings in Millennium Blades?

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Tendales posted:

Overloading english words in non-intuitive ways is not good rulebook design.

edit: I'm not claiming it's an awful rulebook, just that there are obvious ways it could be have been clearer and better. If you want an awful rulebook, take a look at Impulse, which manages to not have any particular errors or omissions, yet still completely fails to explain HOW TO PLAY the loving game until your third or fourth confused reread.

The terms could have been a little clearer, yes, but that's a fault of the terminology, not the rulebook layout. The rulebook is rather good.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.
I'm pretty happy: my friend sold me Roll for the Galaxy, Snowdonia, and Russian Railroads for 80 Canadian funbux. He even tossed in this game which will probably be awful, but the art is amazing and thematically it's pretty solid: VILLAINOUS VIKINGS. Anyone played this one?

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

EvilChameleon posted:

He even tossed in this game which will probably be awful, but the art is amazing and thematically it's pretty solid: VILLAINOUS VIKINGS. Anyone played this one?

First or second edition? Apparently there's big changes between the two: http://islaythedragon.com/featured/why-such-the-long-boat-a-review-of-villainous-vikings-2nd-edition-voyage-to-valhalla/

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

The box I have says VOYAGE TO VALHALLA which, based on very little research I did on BGG, seems to indicate it is 2nd edition.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Merauder posted:

Do you nail together planks of wood to build patios with railings in Millennium Blades?

Oh, now I get it!

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Crackbone posted:

Oh, now I get it!

Yeah, it doesn't help that googling Deck Building: The Deck Building Game produces nothing. I didn't get it until I read the explanation in this thread.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Sorry, the joke would have been funnier if they had box art or something to share with the post.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Anyone played DXV's Greed?

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone played DXV's Greed?
It's a fairly standard drafting game and not really all that exciting.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Here's a rundown of some games I've played in recent weeks:

Elysium seemed like a pretty neat game. It sort of reminded me of 7 Wonders, but the cards you draft can have multiple uses even after they're drafted. The cards that punished others if they didn't have those types of cards seemed really good to me, but then again, I was stuck as the last player for a while so I never got a chance to draft any of those types of cards. I actually wish the cards were larger with the icons being easier to read. Maybe my eyes are just bad. Anyway, I'd play it again, but I do think it has a bit higher learning curve than 7 Wonders, which I have been able to teach to new players.

I did go to Origins for a day, and I tried out a couple of games. First, I played the upcoming Mage Wars Academy. It's basically Mage Wars without a board and with simpler cards, a quicker playtime, and a cheaper price point ($30) so newer players can get into the game a bit easier. It seemed like it was meant to do what you'd expect. I kind of wish the regular Mage Wars game was quicker and simpler, but then it kind of starts to feel like Magic then.

I also tried out Nations: the Dice Game. For 4 of us, it took less than an hour to learn and finish a game, so it did have that going for it. The gameplay was a bit simple, and I can imagine non-gamers getting into it. Don't get me wrong. The one play I had was enjoyable, but I don't know if it has a great replay value since you pretty much go through 80% of the cards in one game. The MSRP was $50, which we all thought was way too high. With the replay value being questionable, I'd say this is a pass. Two of the other players had Nations, and they both preferred that game to the dice version.

I was curious about La Granja and Marco Polo, but I didn't have the time to try them out. I asked some other friends I ran into about those games and they didn't feel like either would replace games they already had. I also saw the Epic card game which is on Kickstarter. I didn't play it, but it's by the Star Realms folks. It's supposed to be a cheap card game like Star Realms, and they are planning on making an electronic version, which is probably the better option. Still, if you're interested, it's essentially the same as this fun Magic: the Gathering variant called DC10. In it, you draw cards and you pretend that each of you have infinite mana of any color. It makes for some crazy but quick games.

Finally, my friend picked up Argent: the Consortium and its expansion at Origins. I was eager to try it out since I had heard good things about it. A bit of that excitement was tempered by my friend then revealing that he hadn't even opened the game yet and he only knew the rules from the demo he had played. Consequently, we had to help him punch out the components, set up the game, read some rules, and wait for him to clarify some rules over the phone with some guy who had written an FAQ on the game. Needless to say, it took way too long to get going, and the game didn't make a lot of sense to me right away since the explanation was really disjointed. Grr. We did play one round before calling it since several of us had to leave by then. We all seemed to like it. I like the idea of adding more and more abilities and sort of building an engine, but I do worry about the AP potential as more abilities are added. I know some folks here have complained that the game ends before you actually get your engine going, so that's a bummer. Also, I'm not sure about the scoring. It seems like some of the goals will just be randomly achieved without anyone knowing about them. I also wonder if there's too much all at once and if it could have been more of a modular setup sort of like Viticulture? Finally, I didn't care for the mage workers and the way you flagged them. It was hard to tell whose mages they were unless you were sitting in the right spot. I'm willing to try it again, but it has to be with only 3 or 4. We had 6, btw, which was too much, but we all wanted to at least learn it even if it meant the experience wasn't optimal.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
The best deck building game will always be Puzzle Strike.

Or Dominion, though I still feel like it takes a lot of expansions before it becomes more game and less engine-stress-test.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...

medchem posted:

I did go to Origins for a day, and I tried out a couple of games. First, I played the upcoming Mage Wars Academy. It's basically Mage Wars without a board and with simpler cards, a quicker playtime, and a cheaper price point ($30) so newer players can get into the game a bit easier. It seemed like it was meant to do what you'd expect. I kind of wish the regular Mage Wars game was quicker and simpler, but then it kind of starts to feel like Magic then.

Is it compatible with the regular game? Can you mix and match back and forth? I'm just wondering how that would work if one plays without a board...

Forbidden Stars and Relic: Halls of Terra has finally shipped from my pre-order a couple months ago. Grimdark hype

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I'm curious about Forbidden Stars but is the price point just the usual lolGamesWorkshop? It has a board and some pretty normal looking components but even at my usual bargain price online retailer it's like a hundred bucks.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Forbidden Stars and Relic: Halls of Terra has finally shipped from my pre-order a couple months ago. Grimdark hype

I thought Relic was considered A Bad Game (tm) or does this make it awesome somehow I dunno I've never played it but heard bad things.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

medchem posted:

Argent: the Consortium

lol Argent with 6 new players, that's just asking for trouble. I haven't heard people complain about the game ending too soon, the last round or two tend to be kind of wild since people have 3 or 4 spells each by then, on top of whatever supporters and vault items they've accumulated. If you feel that way though, there's the "epic" variant which adds a 6th round to the game. The bases are definitely a legit complaint, though people have come up with good fixes, either by painting the bases or shading the edges of the tags to make them clearer.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

EvilChameleon posted:

I thought Relic was considered A Bad Game (tm) or does this make it awesome somehow I dunno I've never played it but heard bad things.

It's Talisman.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

I'm curious about Forbidden Stars but is the price point just the usual lolGamesWorkshop? It has a board and some pretty normal looking components but even at my usual bargain price online retailer it's like a hundred bucks.

I dont think its GW, I think FFG is raising the price point for their big box games. Imperial Assault, the Armada set, and this MSRP for 100 now. Those are also all licensed though, so that could play a part. I got it for 66 at CoolStuff, but I also traded in a lot of heroclix since they give store credit for trade-ins, which eased the pain. :v:

EvilChameleon posted:

I definitely like Relic more than most people. It's not on the same level as Talisman, which I hated, but it's fairly close. Relic manages to land on the enjoyable part of the Ameritrash SpectrumTM for me. I dont know how Halls of Terra is since I cant find a review for it anywhere, but it adds a new zone to explore and more of everything already in the game on top of it. We'll see how it is.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Mister Sinewave posted:

It's out now at CSI for $68.99 (add another $31 for free shipping)

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/213760

I'm really interested in this game, I really want a big, heavy 4x-ish game with an emphasis on combat. I'm going to wait for more people's impressions and player count reports before I get it, but I'm also open to other suggestions. I've played Eclipse, which was a little too much economy for what I'm looking for.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Bottom Liner posted:

It's out now at CSI for $68.99 (add another $31 for free shipping)

http://www.coolstuffinc.com/p/213760

I'm really interested in this game, I really want a big, heavy 4x-ish game with an emphasis on combat. I'm going to wait for more people's impressions and player count reports before I get it, but I'm also open to other suggestions. I've played Eclipse, which was a little too much economy for what I'm looking for.

I think I'm also going to wait since the price tag is the same as that for Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary and I don't imagine they have crammed that much in there. Maybe I can get a used copy. Why is this game so goddam expensive? gently caress you FFG and GW and everything.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Is it compatible with the regular game? Can you mix and match back and forth? I'm just wondering how that would work if one plays without a board...

The Academy cards can be used in Arena (aka original Mage Wars) but not necessarily the other way around. I suppose they can be used in Academy if they don't have any zone requirements.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

If every game doesn't end in an infinite combo then their satire has failed.

Make an empty draw deck the victory condition, then infinite combos and trashing your deck away are both valid strategies.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EvilChameleon posted:

I think I'm also going to wait since the price tag is the same as that for Dungeon Lords: Happy Anniversary and I don't imagine they have crammed that much in there. Maybe I can get a used copy. Why is this game so goddam expensive? gently caress you FFG and GW and everything.

gently caress GW and all, but this is a big game full of unique components, $68 is not an obscene price.

Speaking of, how long until FFG owns Warhammer and GW dies?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bubble-T posted:

Oh wow, it's actually about building a wooden deck that's hilarious.

My review of Dungeon Lords is something like "playing perfectly seems impossible but the game lets you get close enough every time that you want to try again right away" and that's only become more true the more I play it. The game seems to actually enjoy pulling the rug out from underneath you.

That's because Vlaada is some kind of wizard.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Bottom Liner posted:

gently caress GW and all, but this is a big game full of unique components, $68 is not an obscene price.

Imagine Warhammer 40k in a similar model to X-Wing minis? I would be so broke. :allears:

Also hope FS has expansions because I want Tau, Tyranid and Dark Eldar really bad.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Bottom Liner posted:

Not soon enough.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Imagine Warhammer 40k in a similar model to X-Wing minis? I would be so broke. :allears:

Also hope FS has expansions because I want Tau, Tyranid and Dark Eldar really bad.

I played 2 games of X-Wing last night while the guys at the next table were playing out a 40k game that according to them was decided on turn one.

Harvey Mantaco
Mar 6, 2007

Someone please help me find my keys =(
Pretty happy I tried Talisman on android before buying the boardgame because drat whoa bad

Totally going to have friends download carcasonne android app to play multiplayer though because drat whoa good

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,

Bottom Liner posted:

Well I'm definitely going to play this one before I buy it, because that number is a bit high for me (especially in Canuckbux). Hopefully someone I know picks it up, there aren't as many GW fanatics in my board game groups as I'd like.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
There's a thread on reddit asking when Talisman actually gets good. I could only think of Rutibex :)

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Lorini posted:

There's a thread on reddit asking when Talisman actually gets good. I could only think of Rutibex :)

first time I've ever laughed out loud reading /r/boardgames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

It's Talisman.

It's Talisman, but I think Rutibex actually hates it :confused:

Anyway, I might finally get to dust off my Battlestar Galactica again after literally years of not playing it because my two most regular groups hate hidden traitors and consists of three people respectively. Hooray for surprise boyfriends I guess.
The thing is, I can't remember if there's anything crucial about the rules I should explain but can't remember. I originally had it taught by a very seasoned player when my RPG group had too few players, and he did a wonderful job, which I have now forgotten. So: What do I watch out for? I remember that you should have every player pretend to read their loyalty card for a while to allow cylons to read the text, and something about population not mattering, but other than that, I need your input. Obviously I'm rereading the rules beforehand, because gently caress showing up unprepared.