Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunky
Aug 29, 2004

Scandalous posted:

geralt stop putting your loving sword away god drat it

and stop lighting that goddamn torch i'm trying to talk to the merchant

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

worse is when he doesn't take it out and you start punching a monster so you hit the draw button but its on a delay so you hit it twice and he loving puts the sword away again.
not twenty minutes ago i had a fight start from a cutscene in which geralt drew his sword and once i finally had control he didn't have his sword drawn and then someone behind me off-camera stabbed me in the back of the head

i think this game is great and all but hrgghhh

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Geralt also seems to get very confused when both a monster and a man attack, deciding not to draw either sword. :iiam:

GrunderGretch
Aug 2, 2011
I'm pleasantly surprised with this game. I've never played through a witcher game, but let me tell you the environment and feel for this game is amazing.
The only thing I'm having trouble with is, understanding the alchemy system..toxicity, refilling potions with alchohal, etc. Guess it's time to do some youtube research?

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009
"thank you witcher you will always be welcome here" *quest giver immediately walks into geralt* "UGH gently caress YOU"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GrunderGretch posted:

I'm pleasantly surprised with this game. I've never played through a witcher game, but let me tell you the environment and feel for this game is amazing.
The only thing I'm having trouble with is, understanding the alchemy system..toxicity, refilling potions with alchohal, etc. Guess it's time to do some youtube research?

It's not too complex. You get a recipe from vendors or random loot drops, then you can craft the alchemy item. Once crafted it will have so many charges, meditating will refill all the charges on all your alchemy items for the cost of one hard alcohol. So you don't need to feel compelled to exhaustively loot flowers and they're pretty cheap so you never really need to farm or hoard materials for the most part.

Using a potion or decoction gives you a flat amount of Toxicity which slowly decays. More Toxicity will make you look like a roided out Palpatine and if you go over the limit it'll do continuous HP damage to you. There are a couple low level Alchemy abilities that increase potion duration and increase toxicity threshhold, those are great investments which will allow you to use multiple decoctions at once for powerful combos. Those are more mid to late game though.

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Harrow posted:

Okay, I experimented a bit. You can lower your stats again, bit by bit, by unequipping and reequipping Synergy over and over again. You can't drop below your "baseline," so if you just do this until your stats stop decreasing you'll have undone all the Dimeritium stat glitching.

You should probably post that on the forums or something, I've seen lots of people complain about it with the only fix being "reload". Don't think I've seen anyone mention Synergy being the problem yet.
And if you haven't done it already, the battle is easy with just Yrden. Just run right into the portal and cast.

GuyDudeBroMan
Jun 3, 2013

by Ralp

Saladman posted:

Is there any way to see if you've already beaten someone at cards in the console version? I figured the dialog option with the cards would change color if you've beaten them, but it's white before and white after. Maybe I'm waiting for a patch? It seems like the cards in the dialog option should become grey if you've already beaten the merchant.

This is my problem as well. I cant tell which merchants ive beat already. Really annoying.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Saladman posted:

Is there any way to see if you've already beaten someone at cards in the console version? I figured the dialog option with the cards would change color if you've beaten them, but it's white before and white after. Maybe I'm waiting for a patch? It seems like the cards in the dialog option should become grey if you've already beaten the merchant.

Not that it's terribly helpful, but on the PC version the play option definitely grays out after you've beaten them. So hopefully something that gets patched on consoles soon

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
They turned grey for me once I had played them once - just make sure you beat anyone you play.

e: I'm on PC, guess it's a console bug?

Zoo06
Jul 20, 2007
I played it on Xbone, they don't turn grey once you've beaten them...at least not that I could tell. I did collect all the cards even with that....but let's just say I got a lot of wire, wax, and ingots along the way.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]
Witchers are supposed to have unnaturally long lives, right? Just trying to figure out why some of Geralts bffs are old men.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Yup Geralt himself is nearly a century old.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

ZombieLenin posted:

Witchers are supposed to have unnaturally long lives, right? Just trying to figure out why some of Geralts bffs are old men.

The mutations and enhancements a Witcher undergoes during their trials grants them remarkable longevity. They do age and would presumably have a definite lifespan, but in practice a Witcher lives until something kills them.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Just got to the Whispering Hillock quest, loving everything so far, but I'm puzzled as to the next choice I have to make. should I free the spirit or should I kill the spirit? which one has a better payout/outcome?

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

Just got to the Whispering Hillock quest, loving everything so far, but I'm puzzled as to the next choice I have to make. should I free the spirit or should I kill the spirit? which one has a better payout/outcome?

You should know by now there's never a happy ending in the Witcher.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Voyager I posted:

The mutations and enhancements a Witcher undergoes during their trials grants them remarkable longevity. They do age and would presumably have a definite lifespan, but in practice a Witcher lives until something kills them.

Vesemir is supposedly older than Kaer Mohern.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Carlosologist posted:

If you like the Baron, kill it.

Meta-Mollusk
May 2, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Grimey Drawer

Carlosologist posted:

Both options are terrible.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009

Scandalous posted:

"thank you witcher you will always be welcome here" *quest giver immediately walks into geralt* "UGH gently caress YOU"

"If I have a son, I'll name him Geralt." *bumps into Geralt* "akkkkkphhtooo...MUTANT"

GrunderGretch
Aug 2, 2011

Pellisworth posted:

It's not too complex. You get a recipe from vendors or random loot drops, then you can craft the alchemy item. Once crafted it will have so many charges, meditating will refill all the charges on all your alchemy items for the cost of one hard alcohol. So you don't need to feel compelled to exhaustively loot flowers and they're pretty cheap so you never really need to farm or hoard materials for the most part.

Using a potion or decoction gives you a flat amount of Toxicity which slowly decays. More Toxicity will make you look like a roided out Palpatine and if you go over the limit it'll do continuous HP damage to you. There are a couple low level Alchemy abilities that increase potion duration and increase toxicity threshhold, those are great investments which will allow you to use multiple decoctions at once for powerful combos. Those are more mid to late game though.

Okay so toxicity is just a balancing tool so that we don't break our games morrowind style.. thanks for the info. I've been to lazy to do any real research. Probably going to look into witcher builds though.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

snip nevermind

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

GrunderGretch posted:

Okay so toxicity is just a balancing tool so that we don't break our games morrowind style.. thanks for the info. I've been to lazy to do any real research. Probably going to look into witcher builds though.

Yeah Toxicity gates your potion usage, you can't spam them. Potions are short duration, fairly weak buffs. Decoctions are very long-lasting and have a bunch of unique effects, like whenever you spend Stamina it heals you, or taking damage increases your damage resistance continuously throughout a fight.

Don't stress too much over gearing and ability builds. There's not much reward for trying to min-max stuff and it's easy to break the game over your knee even on the hardest difficulties. All three trees are good, though I strongly recommend picking up 3/3 Delusion in Signs for the Jedi mind control Axii dialogue options. Don't forget you need to equip abilities to use them, not just invest points.

The biggest standouts in Signs are the alternate versions in the second tier, imo. The top two tiers are really bad return on investment. Alchemy you want to pick up the potion duration and +Toxicity for recipes known then whatever else you want, there's good stuff all the way through. An Alch build will let you combo 2-3 decoctions at once. The sword stuff is all good, imo the crossbow line is pretty worthless though.

Hallowed
May 28, 2007

It's a pipe bomb!
So I'm wearing the Griffin armour, but I've just done the cat armour quest for the experience. So now I've made the cat armour and it's taking up inventory space, is there a good place to store things that you might want later but can't be bothered to carry around with you?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Avalanche posted:

Have faith.

1) Cyberpunk 2077
2) The dude in charge of the bloody Baron questline now works for guerilla games and is doing the story for that Horizons ps4 game.

Yeah I saw that linked in posted earlier, but it looks like he updated it. Right now it says
'The Bloody Baron'
ONLY the part with the objective to find the Bloody Baron and get into his village. The rest of this quest was designed by Paweł Sasko
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/dennis-zoetebier/5/12a/859?trk=biz_employee_pub

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 21, 2015

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

Hallowed posted:

So I'm wearing the Griffin armour, but I've just done the cat armour quest for the experience. So now I've made the cat armour and it's taking up inventory space, is there a good place to store things that you might want later but can't be bothered to carry around with you?

Just chuck it on the ground near a signpost you frequent. No one touches a Witcher's gear, even if it's just lying there.

E: vvvv don't listen to this guy, a Witcher's home is wherever his pile of surplus crap is.

Saint Isaias Boner fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jun 21, 2015

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Hallowed posted:

Nope!

People suggest modding the weight you can carry, but I want somewhere to stash my trophies and cool armor and weapons rather than selling them or tossing them on the ground (you can just drop things and they usually do not disappear). I have no idea how CDPR let W3 release without some sort of storage (even if Roach's saddlebags were like mobile treasure chest rather than giving you extra carry weight via the saddlebag equipment). Especially after they had to add something into Witcher 2 post-release.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Storage makes the game worse by adding another round of annoyance to "what should I sell" and "what should I drop" - now you also gotta think "what should I store". Game would be better if you couldn't sell anything but removing the weight cap would be nice too.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

Yeah, Geralt's supposed to be near a century old, Yennefer is several centuries old. Triss is about the same age as Geralt, I think.

Dandelion, being the only regular human in his crew, is in his 50s during the events of this game, should be.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Hallowed posted:

I sold mine to the master armor smith in Crow's Perch. Vendors don't seem to turn over their inventories of stuff like that. I can't swear they never will but it was still there a hundred hours after I sold it.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

My buddy at work who got this game at my behest just met the Crones . Leading up to that,he was all :smug:,believing that me and my other friends were exaggerating. When I asked him about his thoughts he just looked at me with a look of horror on his face. "This is the first time a game made me feel genuinely like an rear end in a top hat."

So, how most of my friends reacted to that,basically.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Zakmonster posted:

Yeah, Geralt's supposed to be near a century old, Yennefer is several centuries old. Triss is about the same age as Geralt, I think.

The wiki claims that Yennefer was born in 1173, which would make her 99 or so during W3.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

VolticSurge posted:

My buddy at work who got this game at my behest just met the Crones . Leading up to that,he was all :smug:,believing that me and my other friends were exaggerating. When I asked him about his thoughts he just looked at me with a look of horror on his face. "This is the first time a game made me feel genuinely like an rear end in a top hat."

So, how most of my friends reacted to that,basically.

speaking of which, is there a way to kill the 3rd one in the ciri fight?

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Real hurthling! posted:

speaking of which, is there a way to kill the 3rd one in the ciri fight?

No. She only dies if you get the bad ending.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What are Dimeritium bombs for? The bestiary recommends using them against Golems etc, but they don't seem to actually do anything.

King Bahamut
Nov 12, 2003
internet internet lama sabacthani

RentACop posted:

I wish they hadn't made your allies useless in combat almost all the time. Stand around the whole fight and then swing once for 11 damage. My immersion :argh:

Useless? They're of negative use, if you like to freeze or stun anyone. Even alt-axii suffers from AI that was clearly built with the PC in mind--one point is sufficient for pulling aggro and *maybe* getting your target killed, because the odds it actually attacks anyone are remote

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

basically blew off triss and yen in the hopes I could end up with best waifu, priscilla

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

The Lone Badger posted:

What are Dimeritium bombs for? The bestiary recommends using them against Golems etc, but they don't seem to actually do anything.

they're used for limiting magic use and loving with magic beings and theres a mission where you have to use them to close portals.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Skellgians sure know how to throw a party. When you celebrate with Scottish Vikings you bearly get out alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Sauer posted:

Skellgians sure know how to throw a party. When you celebrate with Scottish Vikings you bearly get out alive.

This is even more :black101: when later on you learn that the berserkers are created using druid blood magic, sacrificing one of those crazy Vildkaarls to transform a bear into the shape of a human and not vice versa.