Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Meridian posted:

Morrowind had a lot of Michael Kirkbride, to it's credit. Be interesting to see his take on Fallout. There'd probably be space rad roaches.

Kirkbride and sensical narrative that actually matters in the game world are not two things that ever combine. So really all you'd end up with is more cool fluff that the dev team do not have the engine/time to actually create.

Seashell Salesman posted:

The trailer on http://www.falloutthefrontier.com/ looks pretty terrible, and worst of all it appears to be another NCR vs. Caesar's Legion conflict. Caesar's Legion being in Portland is such an improbable situation that they must have just chosen the location at random, which leads to the other really disappointing thing about the plot which is that we are all excited to see how life/people adapted in the PNW but this story is just about two foreign powers that we already know from FONV.

If there's one thing i've learned from the TES games modding, don't hold your breath. The best expansive mod to date is literally just allowing you to play FO3 in FNV.

Alchenar posted:

The thing about Bethesda's story is that they've always been hamstrung by the need to have an open world with a player character who could have any imagined background and motivation and skills. So they're actually quite good at providing a plausible motivation for any character to follow the main quest while shying away from doing anything more than that for fear of breaking immersion.

That's why I think it's so interesting the player character is being voiced - beyond the technical advance it implies a shift in design philosophy where they're consciously making a game with a main character who has an existence independent of the player's imagination.

It will be a bit more interesting since you will have a very defined history and it's up to you how that effects your character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Boogaleeboo posted:

Todd Howard has run all their projects since Morrowind. So giant bug buses, him. Painfully generic Imperial capital, also him. The man has layers.

It's not like Todd Howard is in the trenches anymore, putting these things into the games. He's a project manager, so he plays parts of things and writes off "yes" or "no" on things. He wrote "no" on being attacked by like 3 dragons in a random encounter and it proved such a thing would be incredibly rough and tedious even if you broke the magic system. He had to axe the complicated script routines of the radiant AI because the guards kept killing everyone.

I think Todd Howard probably has had a good influence on the games he's helped direct and made them better games, more focused experiences while paying tribute to their source material. I still wish he'd have the guts to tell certain employees off when they go and write things like the Fallout 3 main quest, but what can you do.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Well Bethesda missed out on Chris Avellone since Larian hired him.

Not that I mind that much, I really don't want to play another rendition of Planescape Torment.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/ChrisAvellone/status/644061975127949312

I wish we had an inline twitter thing, but oh well.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Alchenar posted:

That's why I think it's so interesting the player character is being voiced - beyond the technical advance it implies a shift in design philosophy where they're consciously making a game with a main character who has an existence independent of the player's imagination.
I don't think that's quite it. I'm sure what they want is to have a character that is both voiced and can choose how to feel about various things.

At least based on those two videos released recently it doesn't seem like they want what you're suggesting.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Inverness posted:

I don't think that's quite it. I'm sure what they want is to have a character that is both voiced and can choose how to feel about various things.

At least based on those two videos released recently it doesn't seem like they want what you're suggesting.

It's a passive thing - once you are voicing the main character and you aren't doing a Deus Ex style totally-passive delivery then you are naturally reducing the possible ways the player could be reacting to a situation. That just leads to a subtly different way of writing situations.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Alchenar posted:

It's a passive thing - once you are voicing the main character and you aren't doing a Deus Ex style totally-passive delivery then you are naturally reducing the possible ways the player could be reacting to a situation. That just leads to a subtly different way of writing situations.
I don't see how. Even when the player wasn't voiced you could still only choose from a limited selection of dialog when responding.

Loose Ifer
Feb 1, 2002
It's Swelling!
Grimey Drawer
What if i wanted my character to be a deadbeat alcoholic who can't get over the fact his uncle used to come into his room at night when he was a child? Clearly i'm not well adjusted enough to be living in this nice town with a wife and newborn baby. My immersion is dead before the game is even released.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Inverness posted:

I don't see how. Even when the player wasn't voiced you could still only choose from a limited selection of dialog when responding.
A voice actor costs money. That money is controlled by a budget, which limits the amount and length of the lines of both the player & NPCs.
Without a voice actor, the limit basically is how many lines the writers can think up, have time to implement and can reasonably fit within the dialogue GUI.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 2, 2015

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Some people believe that making the character mute means that only your interpretation of your choice can fill in the blank of a PC just walking around and killing poo poo while NPC #934 says radiant line #45 about skill x being sufficiently high enough. its just a personal preference that can't be reasoned with or challenged, even when we can see how this voice acting works in practice outside of the same E3 poo poo with new Todd Howardisms.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If you go back and play Fallout 3 the dialogue choices are pretty shocking in places. For the first half of the main quest all the "good" dialogue options have a tendency to randomly dip into this "gee golly gosh" style out of nowhere that could be really cool if the story was about you actually being a retro-50s fish out of water but it just makes your character seem like an idiot before popping back to being a seasoned wastes explorer somehow.

Broose
Oct 28, 2007
Have they started their advertising campaign and released more details on the game yet, or is everyone still just drawing comparisons to earlier games and speculating?

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Raygereio posted:

A voice actor costs money. That money is controlled by a budget, which limits the amount and length of the lines of both the player & NPCs.
Without a voice actor, the limit basically is how many lines the writers can think up, have time to implement and can reasonably fit within the dialogue GUI.
While that's true in general, Bethesda has been making it a point to say that the voice actors have recorded a tremendous number of lines in the 3 years they've been working on Fallout 4.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Inverness posted:

While that's true in general, Bethesda has been making it a point to say that the voice actors have recorded a tremendous number of lines in the 3 years they've been working on Fallout 4.
That's where all the budget went

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp

Seashell Salesman posted:

The trailer on http://www.falloutthefrontier.com/ looks pretty terrible, and worst of all it appears to be another NCR vs. Caesar's Legion conflict. Caesar's Legion being in Portland is such an improbable situation that they must have just chosen the location at random, which leads to the other really disappointing thing about the plot which is that we are all excited to see how life/people adapted in the PNW but this story is just about two foreign powers that we already know from FONV.

By "Solid" I mean "Playable and possibly entertaining." I don't have huge standards for these kinds of mods, especially after Beyond Boulder Dome (God what a shitshow that was).

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

That's where all the budget went
I have to wonder how much budget they have after something like Skyrim.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Broose posted:

Have they started their advertising campaign and released more details on the game yet, or is everyone still just drawing comparisons to earlier games and speculating?
Well, we know you can make friends with bears now.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Broose posted:

Yes on all

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

poo poo, fallout shelter is an advertisement that you pay for. And in this day and age it works so drat well.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

TontoCorazon posted:

poo poo, fallout shelter is an advertisement that you pay for. And in this day and age it works so drat well.

Hey now, Fallout Shelter is free and works perfectly fine without micropayments. It's just about the platonic ideal of how to do these things.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

7c Nickel posted:

Hey now, Fallout Shelter is free and works perfectly fine without micropayments. It's just about the platonic ideal of how to do these things.

I'm not saying its a bad game at all. Just that sales on that game are crazy. I know its actually one of the better games regarding microtransactions but people are buying the gently caress out of those lunch boxes. It can be argued that this is one of the best advertisements for a game.

TontoCorazon fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 2, 2015

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I bought 5 lunchboxes for $3 or whatever during the labor day sale they had going.

I pretty much never do microtransactions (I can't even remember the last game I bought something like that for...). I'm also a sucker for Fallout, though.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

They probably made their expenses on Fallout 4 back already from that dang phone game.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Broose posted:

Yes. Various dev interviews, a few new gameplay videos, and weekly releases explaining the skill associated with the SPECIAL stats. There's a decent amount of information out at the moment, although the specifics (what sneaking is going to be like, as a recent example) are still unclear.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I want to see some actual new gameplay.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

TontoCorazon posted:

I want to see some actual new gameplay.

I hear they're releasing some in November.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pwnstar posted:

They probably made their expenses on Fallout 4 back already from that dang phone game.

That's like how The Smurfs and (I think) Man of Steel made back all of their money before the films even came out due to merchandising tie ins.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

computer parts posted:

That's like how The Smurfs and (I think) Man of Steel made back all of their money before the films even came out due to merchandising tie ins.

Worked for Star Wars.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
It is weird that aside from the SPECIAL videos, most of the 'new' information Bethesda puts out is repackaged from E3.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

grrarg posted:

It is weird that aside from the SPECIAL videos, most of the 'new' information Bethesda puts out is repackaged from E3.

No, the more information released, the more room for misinterpretation. Also maybe Bethesda is big enough to be a game developer of gamers, and idk about you, but the less i know of a game before i play it, the more i enjoy.

LornMarkus
Nov 8, 2011

Nasgate posted:

No, the more information released, the more room for misinterpretation. Also maybe Bethesda is big enough to be a game developer of gamers, and idk about you, but the less i know of a game before i play it, the more i enjoy.

Yeah, generally speaking I enjoy these big releases as much as I do because I generally take a cursory look at base information and then just forget about it until it's out. Keeps me from getting caught up in the hype or dreaming up unrealistic expectations for it.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

grrarg posted:

I think Bethesda knows that they don't need to trot out new information constantly to generate hype.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

Yeah I kinda wish we didn't know the main character is the sole survivor of the vault. We know there's a part where you play inside the vault so that seems like a spoiler? I'm surprised they included footage of that part.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Cheap Shot posted:

Yeah I kinda wish we didn't know the main character is the sole survivor of the vault. We know there's a part where you play inside the vault so that seems like a spoiler? I'm surprised they included footage of that part.

I'm guessing the vault just servers as a brief mechanism to explain why you are in the wasteland 200 years later. Not an important setting you'll be grounded in like FO3 tried to do.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Cheap Shot posted:

You wouldn't be able to build your waifu / husbandu along with the main character if they're not important later. That and while Bethesda sucks at drama of any kind it would be an excellent way to highlight who you were before the bombs fell to who you are now in this awful hellhole of a wasteland.

So wait yeah they're probably dead.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Nelson Mandingo posted:

You wouldn't be able to build your waifu / husbandu along with the main character if they're not important later. (That and while Bethesda sucks at drama of any kind it would be an excellent way to highlight who you were before the bombs fell to who you are now in this awful hellhole of a wasteland)

spoilers: they are going to die in front of you later in the game

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.

NecroMonster posted:

spoilers: they are a highlander. the bombs make them realize their immorality and they spend the next two hundred years beheading people to become even more powerful and it's up to you to stop them

Now that's more like it.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

ill make the mod

Peztopiary
Mar 16, 2009

by exmarx

NecroMonster posted:

spoilers: they are going to die in front of you later in the game

I will high five that faction's leader and go on to help them rule the Wastes. If X) loving finally isn't a dialogue option then Bethesda have failed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Mordaedil posted:

It's not like Todd Howard is in the trenches anymore, putting these things into the games. He's a project manager, so he plays parts of things and writes off "yes" or "no" on things. He wrote "no" on being attacked by like 3 dragons in a random encounter and it proved such a thing would be incredibly rough and tedious even if you broke the magic system. He had to axe the complicated script routines of the radiant AI because the guards kept killing everyone.

I think Todd Howard probably has had a good influence on the games he's helped direct and made them better games, more focused experiences while paying tribute to their source material. I still wish he'd have the guts to tell certain employees off when they go and write things like the Fallout 3 main quest, but what can you do.

More than one (former) Bethesda employee has come forward with claims that T. Howard literally consulted a Magic 8 Ball for much of Oblivion's development.

quote:

QA Lead Timothy Lamb recalls the weekly meetings he had with "the man himself" in the months leading up to Oblivion's release.

"I'd write down fifteen or twenty problems that we'd identified in the previous week of testing. I remember that one of the problems was that an iteration of the guard AI caused them to kill all the town's children. And [Todd] would have this perpetually smug look on his face as he shook this 8 Ball of his while loudly repeating what I said. 'Get rid of the children,' he finally decided. I asked if we could have more time to tweak the AI (since that would be easier than getting rid of all of the children) and I vividly remember that he paused and stared at his 8 Ball for several seconds before asking me if there was any way to just make the children 'tinier adults' because then that might resolve the AI problem."

quote:

"Howard was really concerned about the voice talent, to the point that we weren't even allowed to have any actors physically in the studio without his approval," Adam Chapman, Bethesda's Audio Manager on Oblivion, explained. "And oh my god, at that time, everything was about Lord of the Rings. Lord of the Rings. [Howard] was obsessed with Lord of the Rings. He wanted to spend so much money on recruiting the movies' actors for Oblivion."

But parent company Zenimax pushed back on Howard's ambitious plans, countering with a budget that would allow him to choose only two LOTR actors for the game.

"So one night, after a conference call with [Altman], he locked himself in his office and watched all three movies while shaking that goddamn 8 Ball of his. The next morning, he came out and announced that Bethesda would be recruiting Sean Bean and Patrick Stewart for roles in Oblivion."

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Oct 3, 2015

• Locked thread