Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Surprise Giraffe posted:

So apparently if you put your pc to sleep through a keyboard related misshap while wearing your oculus rift the game installation shits itself or something and refuses to provide you with functioning menus to enter the game until you reinstall. Just so that you're all aware.

I dunno if it would've helped for that case, but on a similar note I set up EDProfiler (http://edcodex.info/?m=tools&entry=389) to swap between monitor and HMD graphic setups and it's been treating me pretty well. I think changing the settings is causing it to re-run the shader pre-loading or whatever on startup and it took a little extra checking back and forth to get it to match up exactly to the settings I wanted, other than that been slick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
Since I started playing this after a months-long absence, it's like NPC ships can tear me to pieces. Is something really radically different?

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

There was an AI rebalance.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

Angrymog posted:

There was an AI rebalance.

The ships still seem to just chill out in gimbal range, but my shields vanish much faster than before! Or am I halluncinating it?

My weapons loadout is still all pulse lasers; are those worse now?

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Kavros posted:

The ships still seem to just chill out in gimbal range, but my shields vanish much faster than before! Or am I halluncinating it?

My weapons loadout is still all pulse lasers; are those worse now?
They rewrote the AI to be much smarter about managing its power, and also ships can occasionally show up with Engineer-boosted equipment. And they fly smarter. Just generally a big step up in combat difficulty.

Also, depending on when you last played, they might have rebalanced what having fewer pips in SYS means for how long your shields last.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
I think it's funny that the most dangerous NPC ships that I come across aren't FDLs or Anacondas, but Dropships. They have a knack to just face you head-on and they tank like crazy on the front of their ship.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
In my case, I've noticed every single encounter by interdiction I had since the last patch was someone overwhelmingly stronger than me. Kind of annoying. At least mines work as advertised and saved my rear end again and again.

The funny thing is, ages ago I was plagued by an endless stream of low-tier scrub like Adders and Sidewinders, sometimes even without shields. Back then I was always cursing about this irritating stream of suicidal idiots attacking me. Now I wish the retard squadron was back, since every single enemy I have now is strong enough to force me into running away.

Well, let's just say I feel incredibly lucky that I don't like fighting that much. Someone who likes combat would probably be infuriated by this!

Libluini fucked around with this message at 08:36 on Jul 9, 2016

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Libluini posted:

In my case, I've noticed every single encounter by interdiction I had since the last patch was someone overwhelmingly stronger than me. Kind of annoying. At least mines work as advertised and saved my rear end again and again.

The funny thing is, ages ago I was plagued by an endless stream of low-tier scrub like Adders and Sidewinders, sometimes even without shields. Back then I was always cursing about this irritating stream of suicidal idiots attacking me. Now I wish the retard squadron was back, since every single enemy I have now is strong enough to force me into running away.

Well, let's just say I feel incredibly lucky that I don't like fighting that much. Someone who likes combat would probably be infuriated by this!

Fly a vulture, give no fucks.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
They toned the AI way back down in a patch after 2.1, and many of them are still braindead. Elite and Deadly enemies do get engineer mods and can still ruin your day, but they're much worse at actually doing the ruining than they were immediately after 2.1.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's amazing how getting out of my iClippers & FDLs and going back to a Vulture made post 2.1 combat so much easier.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Honky Dong Country posted:

It's kind of hard to smuggle/trade/explore in a Vulture, though.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Libluini posted:

NPC encounter generation is based on your combat rank, although if one of your other ranks is higher than your combat rank, it generates higher-level NPCs than it would normally because gently caress you. So if you ground your way to a high combat rank pre-2.1, or if you have a medium-high combat rank and a high trade or exploration rank, say hello to Elite Anacondas everywhere.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

NPC encounter generation is based on your combat rank, although if one of your other ranks is higher than your combat rank, it generates higher-level NPCs than it would normally because gently caress you. So if you ground your way to a high combat rank pre-2.1, or if you have a medium-high combat rank and a high trade or exploration rank, say hello to Elite Anacondas everywhere.

So NPCs only have one rank and that affects combat prowess exclusively, along with engineer mods for them all being combat-based, but based on non-combat ratings of players? Ugh.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

legooolas posted:

So NPCs only have one rank and that affects combat prowess exclusively, along with engineer mods for them all being combat-based, but based on non-combat ratings of players? Ugh.

When 2.1 first hit, NPC spawns' combat rank (which affects difficulty, AI, loadout, and probability of engineer mods) was based on your highest rank. Now, thanks to the AI nerf patch, it's based exclusively on your own combat rank (it can still be a few levels higher or lower though!)...but if one of your other ranks is higher than your combat rank, the spawn system will act as though your combat rank is 1-2 levels higher than it actually is. It also is based entirely on your rank and the RNG; it doesn't take into your account what ship you're flying or anything like that, so you get the same spawns regardless of whether you're flying a Corvette or a Hauler. Also, missions and possibly some USSes sometimes bypass the normal spawn tables and will instead decide NPC difficulty based on their mission rank or USS threat level. :eng101:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
It does take your ship into account. In my Python I get Dropships and their cousins, in my Asp I get Diamondbacks.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

Aethernet posted:

It does take your ship into account. In my Python I get Dropships and their cousins, in my Asp I get Diamondbacks.

I can second this. The difference in the NPC parade of "GIVE ME THOSE ENGY MATS THAT YOU'RE CARRYING BECAUSE YOU FORGOT TO JETTISON THEM" between a cutter/anaconda, python/FdL, and AspE was noticeably different. And I was rolling around with these ships over a few different days, so it's not like I just hopped between a few systems and parked them after an hour.

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

a big fat bunny posted:

...between a cutter/anaconda, python/FdL, and AspE was noticeably different.

So is this also the case for RES/general bounty hunting? Sounds like it could be better to roll out the FdL for that rather than a Vulture, if the NPC ships crank up accordingly :)

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Main Paineframe posted:

So my explorer-rank joined forces with my Fed Dropship smuggler to gently caress me over? Hell, now I'm really glad to have dual mine launchers installed.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

legooolas posted:

So is this also the case for RES/general bounty hunting? Sounds like it could be better to roll out the FdL for that rather than a Vulture, if the NPC ships crank up accordingly :)

Nah, most of what I'm complaining about are the NPCs that interdict you. Nav beacons and res sites are still very much random spawn zones. That doesn't mean there won't be the occasional "level" approriate ship spawned just to check on your cargo/bounty but it might not be often enough to make it worth it unless you already have an FdL hanging around and can afford a good fit on it plus a few rebuys.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
What annoys me is that I can haul thousands of tons of rare goods for CG without getting interdicted once but haul a single ton of engineer commodity anywhere and bam! Elite FdL's and Anacondas out the rear end.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Throw in the fact that pilot rankings are all a measure of TIME, rather than skill, and you have a bunch of us middling players who are combat "Experts" and up by default just by virtue of playing the game.

Nicetalga4Meltdown posted:

What annoys me is that I can haul thousands of tons of rare goods for CG without getting interdicted once but haul a single ton of engineer commodity anywhere and bam! Elite FdL's and Anacondas out the rear end.

Turns out the NPCs don't actually get free Engineers upgrades after all, and are just as desperate for mats to roll the dice as we are.

Boy, this contest would be a lot easier if we had NPC grade scanners that could check cargo holds from supercruise.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Try hauling them in a T9, and you'll get plenty of interdictions :cripes:

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

It would be nice if the engineer stuff either was all materials and no "real cargo", or if all the engineer commodities were available for purchase somewhere (even if really far away). Or storage. Or a player-run market. Any one of those things would be fine, IMHO.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

legooolas posted:

It would be nice if the engineer stuff either was all materials and no "real cargo", or if all the engineer commodities were available for purchase somewhere (even if really far away). Or storage. Or a player-run market. Any one of those things would be fine, IMHO.

It would also be nice if I didn't have to buy two (2) FdL's to store my fully modded C4 multicannons because I want to try a different loadout on my Corvette :cripes:

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

It would also be nice if I didn't have to buy two (2) FdL's to store my fully modded C4 multicannons because I want to try a different loadout on my Corvette :cripes:

So there is storage for components, it's just very (very) expensive.

a big fat bunny
Oct 4, 2002

woo look at 'em gonk

The worst part of swapping poo poo around for storage is that I'm always paranoid that the stupid game's gonna dump me while I'm switching ships.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Too bad you can't just carry weapons or parts in your cargo hold so you can actually get the engineer mods without taking a trip that takes about 30 jumps instead of a more reasonable 5 in a ship. I doubt they'll even let you modify a ship that you have as a ship launched fighter unless you fly that ship itself to a engineer base.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Tabletops posted:

has anyone found any planets with realistic scale surface geography? or is it supposed to be really flattened? I think the deepest canyon I've ever found was ~200 or 300 meters at most.

Almost every large rocky moon or planet or body in the solar system have many mile + high or deep features. So I'm guessing features are just really flattened in E:D?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTfG0JtsP-M

They are out there.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
Probably gonna hit Elite trader then quit for a bit. Unless I decide to try and elite exploration. Already 60% Entrepreneur. According to my math it would only be like 30 more sothis runs to elite trader.

IF Fdev's vision of the DG was to have unaffiliated people get interested and fight for their chosen power. That failed miserably. The Fed CG has more participants than almost every DG group combined. Either ED does not have many players, or the lay person couldn't give a poo poo about who wins DG.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Jul 10, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ShadowMoo posted:

Probably gonna hit Elite trader then quit for a bit. Unless I decide to try and elite exploration. Already 60% Entrepreneur. According to my math it would only be like 30 more sothis runs to elite trader.

IF Fdev's vision of the DG was to have unaffiliated people get interested and fight for their chosen power. That failed miserably. The Fed CG has more participants than almost every DG group combined. Either ED does not have many players, or the lay person couldn't give a poo poo about who wins DG.

Did you know that sometimes, you can get smuggling-missions from Ceos to Sothis and back? This means theoretically, you could just re-roll the mission board over and over again until you fill up your ship, then you jump the ~8 ly to the next system and make mad bank.

The best part is, you can stock up on courier-missions at the same time to pump up your local rep like crazy.

Edit:

What I'm saying is, if you really wanted to, you could get to Elite trader in a single afternoon.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Libluini posted:

Did you know that sometimes, you can get smuggling-missions from Ceos to Sothis and back? This means theoretically, you could just re-roll the mission board over and over again until you fill up your ship, then you jump the ~8 ly to the next system and make mad bank.

The best part is, you can stock up on courier-missions at the same time to pump up your local rep like crazy.

Edit:

What I'm saying is, if you really wanted to, you could get to Elite trader in a single afternoon.

They fixed that bug somewhat, sometimes it works, sometimes you get to sothis and get redirected to the bubble. It is a crapshoot.

Anyone else think the lack of Dev updates or any information on updates is due to ED not being Fdev's big money maker any more? So they are migrating a good portion of the dev team over to Planet Coaster? :tinfoil:

The last actual developer update was 3 months ago, before that they did updates almost monthly. Newsletter has nothing but Galnet fanfics and player events. But 2.1.03 did fix a ton of poo poo so :shrug:

For someone with experience in game dev, is it normal to shut off communication with an oncoming point release? If so, why?

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Jul 10, 2016

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

ShadowMoo posted:

They fixed that bug somewhat, sometimes it works, sometimes you get to sothis and get redirected to the bubble. It is a crapshoot.

Anyone else think the lack of Dev updates or any information on updates is due to ED not being Fdev's big money maker any more? So they are migrating a good portion of the dev team over to Planet Coaster? :tinfoil:

The last actual developer update was 3 months ago, before that they did updates almost monthly. Newsletter has nothing but Galnet fanfics and player events. But 2.1.03 did fix a ton of poo poo so :shrug:

For someone with experience in game dev, is it normal to shut off communication with an oncoming point release? If so, why?

There are still updates. Hell, 2.2 was announced officially some time ago. There was even a short contest to send in tourist spots for passenger missions. Besides, there's speculation FD will use some of the assets from Planet Coaster for planetary landings when planets with atmospheres will be available. That second bit is just speculation, though!

Also we're at 2.1.04 right now so somehow you missed an entire patch? :confused:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I would love it if the amusement parks designed by people were incorporated into landing zones and planetary outposts.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Ignore shadowmoo he's like a Dunning Kruger elemental

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine

Ignore shadowmoo he's like a Dunning Kruger elemental

I do not overestimate my abilities, I just have a natural tendency towards paranoia and mistrust. That along with I like to speculate on minute pieces of information. Spent like 2 hours going over Fdev's financial structure and business dox because it piqued my interest. I was wondering how a B2P MMO-lite was supporting itself on box sales and a fairly tame cosmetics shop (even if it is stupidly expensive). Anet was able to because they had daddy NCsoft and a large cash shop of more than just paint jobs. Fdev is a mostly self supported company with a few investment firms as minor shareholders.

In all I may be autistic

Paranoid rambling, ignore if easily bored:

Fdev is stuck in cycle of releasing shallow content because they only get paid for box sales. Best way to boost box sales is to focus on rapid-fire shallow content point releases to announce they added a cool new mechanic that will be fun for about a week. I.E. tourism (rebranded exploration). So major overhauls to to the mission system or PP or adding deeper content seems unlikely from this perspective. Their promotion to make ED:A free was met with mediocre success of having about 500 average players. ED:A is also a poor representation of what ED is actually like. I play in open almost exclusively and have never gotten into a PvP situation other than that time Zakuz killed me as a welcome to DF.

But I will still play this game because gently caress, its the only good first person space sim out there.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Jul 10, 2016

timn
Mar 16, 2010
2.1 was significantly delayed due to scope increase and included the most comprehensive set of quality of life improvements and enhancements to existing functionality yet released in an update. They're literally trending in the opposite direction from what you're predicting.

Speculating about 2.2 right now is pointless as they're pretty tight-lipped about stuff now until they have something concrete to show. The lack of info doesn't mean anything really, especially not this soon after the last update was released.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
What happened to Orbital FM, forcibly taken down? Is there a good replacement?

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Saint Sputnik posted:

What happened to Orbital FM, forcibly taken down? Is there a good replacement?

Why haven't you been listening to Radio Skvorsov?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

IAmTheRad posted:

Why haven't you been listening to Radio Skvorsov?

Actually I think I might see how I like listening to http://radiooooo.com/ while playing, just set it to 1980s Russian or something

• Locked thread