Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopelyse
Jan 22, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/jdfmart/status/1386078606661758991?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

I kind of like that not gonna lie

corn haver
Mar 28, 2020

flavor.flv posted:

It has a bit of a classic monochrome Mac vibe, like if Glider had a secret graphing mode.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
There's also an animated version

https://mobile.twitter.com/jdfmart/status/1386677453465296903

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

flavor.flv posted:

Yeah, it would actually be pretty cool if the boxes were different colors.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Crisp-dm could also use an update

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I think I played this game on my dad's Mac classic

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

MrUnderbridge posted:

Ok, new addition to the scientific method lessons!

Ran it by my division director and, sadly, I will not be including it in next year's curriculum. :eng99:

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

surely "Test with experiment" should be in the gently caress around section

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
Where’s the part for “we know what the result should have been and now we work backwards from there to come up with plausible values” that I know and love from high school chemistry?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Blue Moonlight posted:

Where’s the part for “we know what the result should have been and now we work backwards from there to come up with plausible values” that I know and love from high school chemistry?
Find out, gently caress around, feign innocence.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
lol at the implication that only happens in high school

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

MrUnderbridge posted:

Ran it by my division director and, sadly, I will not be including it in next year's curriculum. :eng99:
"accidentally" set it as your desktop background/drop a few printed copies as you leave the class (choose whichever is appropriate for your teaching situation)

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i dunno, i feel like there's a new story all the time about a researcher who did their loving around during the "analyze" stage

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Lutha Mahtin posted:

i dunno, i feel like there's a new story all the time about a researcher who did their loving around during the "analyze" stage

You're not kidding:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Lutha Mahtin posted:

It's all loving around and the graph is missing fifteen other connections.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

mobby_6kl posted:

Crisp-dm could also use an update

I'm no thinkologist, but shouldn't you prepare data, then model with it, then generate some understandings of the data?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Outrail posted:

I'm no thinkologist, but shouldn't you prepare data, then model with it, then generate some understandings of the data?

"Data Understanding" isn't a great name but there's not really a better short title. It's really about understanding what data is available, how it's generated, and how it relates to the problem you're trying to solve. The modeling and data preparation phases can't start until you've done some of that work unless you're trying to reenact the xkcd machine learning comic.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

dunno why we need to spend all this time and effort doing "analysis" and "modeling" when it says right here we already understand our data and our business *taps head*

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Pfaw pfaw pfaw data science? Don't you mean... Science?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

ultrafilter posted:

"Data Understanding" isn't a great name but there's not really a better short title. It's really about understanding what data is available, how it's generated, and how it relates to the problem you're trying to solve. The modeling and data preparation phases can't start until you've done some of that work unless you're trying to reenact the xkcd machine learning comic.

Data management. Data assessment. Data vetting. Data collection.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Outrail posted:

Data management. Data assessment. Data vetting. Data collection.
Except maybe assessment, these all describe parts of data preparation. Data understanding is first blush defining of data, most generally where does it come from and what does it look like and based off that, what do we need to worry about. I'd still say assessment is a grey word because it has a connotation that it would include actvities around managing the data you have in hand instead of that first blush analysis of what you're even going to be dealing with.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

So if I'm reading this right, if we have only little a conflict (as a treat) with, say, Pakistan, we're at tremendous risk of being nuked, but if we step up the conflict (perhaps carpet-bombing a few of their cities), they're much less likely to go nuclear on us. Got it.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Powered Descent posted:

So if I'm reading this right, if we have only little a conflict (as a treat) with, say, Pakistan, we're at tremendous risk of being nuked, but if we step up the conflict (perhaps carpet-bombing a few of their cities), they're much less likely to go nuclear on us. Got it.

No, the y-axis is Resistance to Nuclear Use meaning if you barely have conflict with Iran they have a coin toss of deploying nukes and if you step up the conflict your chances of getting nuked skyrocket.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tiramisu posted:

No, the y-axis is Resistance to Nuclear Use meaning if you barely have conflict with Iran they have a coin toss of deploying nukes and if you step up the conflict your chances of getting nuked skyrocket.
Thats almost describing the standard tripwire response, except their chances of using increase with very little stepping up. "Your chances of getting nuked skyrocketing" I'd use more to describe the warfighting scenario where high intensity means they are more likely to use nuclear weapons as an equalizing asset.

Iran, North Korea, and Pakistan are shown making a deliberate turn off the tripwire response in the scenarios OP described where high intensity conflict will deter use, possibly due to feared reprisal.

It's all entirely made up but it makes a modicum of logical sense so that probably scores a 9/10 on the useful military chart spectrum.

E. I just noticed the India arrow and now I'm wondering what the arrows are meant to describe at all :confused: reducing my rating to 8/10

zedprime has a new favorite as of 15:53 on Apr 28, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Where is Ghandi on this chart

Anfauglir
Jun 8, 2007

Splicer posted:

Where is Ghandi on this chart

The Y-axis is not high enough for him to show up

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Tiramisu posted:

But Iran is going 'up' which means the resistance to using them is increasing? Or is the arrow pointing to one of the existing lines? Ok I think the Iran line is just pointing to the wavey line, I get it. But Pakistan is using the tripwire profile until a point then uses the same profile as Russia?

Regarde Aduck has a new favorite as of 16:24 on Apr 28, 2021

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Anfauglir posted:

The Y-axis is not high enough for him to show up

That depends on whether or not our universe has a particular integer overflow bug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Gandhi

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Old fear: Skynet will become sentient and deliberately nuke everyone.

New fear: Skynet will have a divide by zero error in its code that the devs didn't catch and accidentally nuke everyone.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

hmm yes this chart is front page material

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
cursed voroni pie

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Powered Descent posted:

That depends on whether or not our universe has a particular integer overflow bug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear_Gandhi

It does, look up Ghandi's quotes on nukes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hooman posted:

It does, look up Ghandi's quotes on nukes.

That’s taken out of context all the time.

quote:

Had we adopted non-violence as the weapon of the strong, because we realised that it was more effective than any other weapon, in fact the mightiest force in the world, we would have made use of its full potency and not have discarded it as soon as the fight against the British was over or we were in a position to wield conventional weapons. But as I have already said, we adopted it out of our helplessness. If we had the atom bomb, we would have used it against the British.

jjack229
Feb 14, 2008
Articulate your needs. I'm here to listen.
Working on the requirements to bring some new equipment into service and found this table in the Installation, Operation, and Maintenance manual:

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

jjack229 posted:

Working on the requirements to bring some new equipment into service and found this table in the Installation, Operation, and Maintenance manual:

You know the Toyota Aygo? That very compact city car?

This is in the owner's manual.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/flu-has-disappeared-worldwide-during-the-covid-pandemic/

ultrafilter posted:

Data Search/Digestion

Comparable to the Literature Search you'd do at the start of any research paper

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Carbon dioxide posted:

You know the Toyota Aygo? That very compact city car?

This is in the owner's manual.

For added context, the official top speed of the Aygo is 158kph.

I know from personal experience that they will go faster than that, as long as your mechanical sympathy is sufficiently low.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I think trying to go that fast in one would be absolutely terrifying.

Like "oh god the wheels are going to come off" type poo poo.