Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Fojar38 posted:

chinas ascent to scientific superpower lookin good

Yeah but the project was just starting so idk even what he made off with. Next time wait until we have something patentable, or at least publication-worthy before espionaging smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:lol:

nickmeister posted:

She's probably longing for the good ol' days when smart phones didn't exist and foreigners just went, "Ooo! Ah! The 'Orient' is so mystical and magical!" rather than actually learning something about the language.

Is anyone here bilingual from childhood? What's it like being a native speaker of another language that most outsiders don't know? Have you ever used it to your advantage to be dishonest? I've never really had that experience being a native monolingual English speaker.
I don't think I have used it to be dishonest unless you are talking about getting a better price or service than the "gweilo/tourist".

If anything I have used it for good and I quite enjoy helping people out of a language jam. Hearing a non-native speak the language and with the correct accent is a treat as it tickles that part of the brain that acknowledges someone made an effort and did it well even if it is a couple of words.

simplefish posted:

Lol this place in sham shui po tried to cheat me out of a free coffee, tellin me it isnt included, but even though i dont know many characters i can loving tell that the thing at the bottom says (cold drink add 3 dollars) in Chinese. So a hot drink must be included. The food was poo poo and lukewarm so not coming here again anyway but gently caress it gimme a goddamn coffee, how loving cheap can you get? Also i think im also entitled to soup, pretty sure it says 'and soup' not 'or soup' but i dont want any.

She saw me putting characters into translate and stole the menu away fast but i had taken a photo. I knew i was right but wasnt gonna argue unless id translated it and was 100% sure. I called her coworker over again and pointed at the photo of the menu and i have my coffee now. loving racists. I heard her tell her coworker something about 'gweilo' and 'drink' after I'd first ordered the food, so pretty sure she was tellin him not to give me one which is presumably why he called her over to talk to me instead of getting me one right away when I brought it up.

If i was petty id pour sugar all over the table and drop a bunch of chopsticks on the floor but someone has to have the moral high ground act like a loving adult

Yeah, they were definitely dicking you over here with a hint of racism. I hope you don't get this too often and don't feel too personal about it, People have tried to dick me over in HK for more than the price of coffee.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Yeah but the project was just starting so idk even what he made off with. Next time wait until we have something patentable, or at least publication-worthy before espionaging smdh
Keep an eye on the headlines. Maybe he'll commission a 3rd-tier supplier to mass produce the nascent project and it will result in a hilariously catastrophic industrial accident. You could be famous by proxy!

Murray Mantoinette
Jun 11, 2005

THE  POSTS  MUST  FLOW
Clapping Larry

Tupperwarez posted:

Keep an eye on the headlines. Maybe he'll commission a 3rd-tier supplier to mass produce the nascent project and it will result in a hilariously catastrophic industrial accident. You could be famous by proxy!

I am a horrible misanthrope who wants everyone to die, so maybe hiring Chinese post-docs to work on sensitive medical or industrial projects could work out well, puppet master-style.

Imperialist Dog
Oct 21, 2008

"I think you could better spend your time on finishing your editing before the deadline today."
\
:backtowork:

oohhboy posted:

People have tried to dick me over in HK for more than the price of coffee.

was it over a five-piece suit

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I always enjoyed this. Literally no one, staff or student, at any school I worked at in Korea ever picked up that I actually spoke some Korean and could understand what they were saying about me. I punished multiple students every single day for telling me to gently caress off or whatever in Korean, often the same student daily, and not one of them ever seemed to put together that I understood them. Reaction of total shock every single time I translated all the vocab words on the board or wrote anything at all in Korean.

Where I am in China, I get a shock reaction from students the first time I translate vocab on the board or something, and then it ends. I am not sure if it's because of some cultural difference or the fact that here I have older students, but the teachers in Korea were also incredulous constantly while the ones in China aren't so I dunno. For all the staring and poo poo, people here seem to be much more willing to accept you as a human being with a functional brain once they've spent some time with you. All the Koreans I'm actually friends with are like that but they were a small minority.

I found that my students in Korea and China both picked up on people understanding their languages pretty quick. In Korea the guys were totally oblivious until someone actually spoke Korean to them for at least a full minute. The women would hear it from others and then ask you how much you spoke. In China my coworker would speak to both male and female staff for up to 5 minutes, then the next day they would be talking poo poo about her within earshot and when they would make eye contact with her (while talking about her) they wouldn't pick up that she knew what they were saying. (she would be making a wide-eye, mouth agape, palms facing upwards pose, to no effect)

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The weirdest was people's surprise at my ability to read. It's an alphabet guys, it's not hard. I had a 14 hour plane ride, I was literate by the time I landed.

China has a much better excuse for illiteracy and I totally understand people here being confused that my spoken Chinese is much worse than my written.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
handsome/legible Chinese handwriting from a foreigner never stops being a mind gently caress for the Chinese.

Maybe less so for like taxi drivers and poo poo, with them it was always like "HUH? I cant understand your HORRIBLE CHINESE," and then after you write it down its like "AH OK GOOD, WHY DIDNT YOU JUST WRITE IT DOWN FIRST IDIOT, JEEZ."

Maybe they spend less time pondering how bizarre the foreign aliens must be, and just focus on being taxi drivers, I dunno.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 7, 2017

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Taxi drivers seem to have no time for anything (including learning the layout of the city or how maps work) and they all seem to speak some crazy rear end hillfolk language instead of Mandarin so they're probably used to it.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
It can't be all negative though? Y'all can't be that goon that ya haven't had some ladies discuss you in positive terms at some points?

I get that a lot with the Germans; they really think that no-one outside of their part of Europe understands them for some reason.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I've heard some positive things from Chinese students. In Korea I didn't but that's not a foreign thing, poo poo-talking seems to be the default topic there.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
#justchinesegirlthings

Dr.Radical
Apr 3, 2011

Murray Mantoinette posted:

Also in more recent news the Chinese postdoc in another lab that's collaborating with us apparently ran off back to China with all of the supplies we purchased for the project and a copy of whatever data and notes he had.

What were the supplies? Did he do that thing where people use cardboard boxes as checked luggage?

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Wait lol, has China-tinder always shown western Zodiacs or is that new?

Why not domestic ones? Or maybe ape the Japanese some more and go with blood type?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Wait lol, has China-tinder always shown western Zodiacs or is that new?

Why not domestic ones? Or maybe ape the Japanese some more and go with blood type?

Yeah it's always been that zodiac. They don't do the Nazi blood type personality thing here, that's only Japan and Korea I think.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
cantonese chicks were always complimenting me as the hamsap guy.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

Grand Fromage posted:

The weirdest was people's surprise at my ability to read. It's an alphabet guys, it's not hard. I had a 14 hour plane ride, I was literate by the time I landed.
Isn't another term for Hangul, "achim-gul", in the sense that "you can learn this in a single morning"?

hakimashou posted:

cantonese chicks were always complimenting me as the hamsap guy.
I'm more of a ham sap gwai :ghost:

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Tupperwarez posted:

Isn't another term for Hangul, "achim-gul", in the sense that "you can learn this in a single morning"?

That's for Koreans silly, foreigners cannot possibly comprehend our 8,000 years of most scientific language.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Imperialist Dog posted:

was it over a five-piece suit

It was some shorts actually. They tried to off load a longer pair instead of the shorter one I wanted. I had them cut and re-tailor the long pair to match on the spot.

Summer clothing was out of season and you cannot find shorts in the chain stores that isn't sporting apparel.

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

That's for Koreans silly, foreigners cannot possibly comprehend our 8,000 years of most scientific language.

Has it ever happened anywhere that people assume East Asians to be incapable of grasping the Latin alphabet?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Kopijeger posted:

Has it ever happened anywhere that people assume East Asians to be incapable of grasping the Latin alphabet?

Closest thing I can think of offhand is there's a belief in Korea that speaking English requires a longer tongue than Koreans have, so there's a tongue lengthening surgery some people get to try to remove their accent (they are inexplicably obsessed with not having an accent but not so much about actually comprehending the language).

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

Closest thing I can think of offhand is there's a belief in Korea that speaking English requires a longer tongue than Koreans have, so there's a tongue lengthening surgery some people get to try to remove their accent (they are inexplicably obsessed with not having an accent but not so much about actually comprehending the language).

wait what :stonk: I knew Koreans are really into creepy invasive cosmetic surgery but this just broke my brain.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's like tongue tie surgery for babies but done on elementary school kids with terrible parents

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Grand Fromage posted:

There was a story about a white girl that did the exact same thing, but for learning to speak Korean. Who is right!? I need to know.

EDIT:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2024857/Rhiannon-Brooksbank-Jones-tongue-lengthened-help-speak-Korean.html

quote:

Student Rhiannon Brooksbank-Jones dreams of living and working in South Korea once she finishes university, even though she has never visited the country.
After discussing the matter with her parents and language tutor, Rhiannon decided to undergo an operation to correct the condition, despite the fact it has never caused her any problems in speaking English.

She underwent a lingual frenectomy, which involves making an incision in the flap of skin. As a result, Rhiannon's tongue is now about 1cm longer, and she can say words that were impossible before.

Rhiannon, of Beeston, Nottingham, said: 'I'd been learning Korean for about two years, and my speaking level is now high, but I was really struggling with particular sounds.

I really wish they would do a follow-up with her about how she feels being a white girl in Korea, and if it was as magical as soap operas made it out to be.

EDIT AGAIN:
Clive Bigams, England

quote:

i hope with this new tax payers funded tounge, she will put it to good use and clean the floors in some of our hospitals.

Haier fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 7, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am glad to see Haier posting

Sometimes I worry some woman stole his condom

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:
Obligatory this is my first post on /r/China, I want to share a couple bad experiences that I've had in meeting girls on Tantan and Jiayuan.

About 4 months ago I started using Jiayuan mostly to practice my Chinese with online strangers and the whole process of making my profile was a language learning experience. The first girl that I met in person met me in the evening around 9pm and took me to a cafe of her choice. She showed up with a friend, they bought about 5 plates of various 小吃, coffee and a bottle of wine, I wanted a tea. After 30 minutes they wanted to leave and left me with about a 4,000 RMB bill. I felt completely taken advantage of and wanted to just run out of the restaurant but I found myself surrounded by all of the wait staff at the restaurant demanding I pay our bill. I was afraid to have the police called and with my limited Chinese I couldn't express my confusion. I paid and got the hell out of there, blocked the girl from my contact list and put it behind me. Live and learn I said to myself, I keep the receipt in my wallet to remind me not to let anyone take advantage of me again.

I met a girl today from Tantan and I immediately felt a lot of red flags in my head reminding me of the previous experience. Maybe it was only paranoia. Firstly, the girl looked nothing like her pictures. Second she showed up with a friend who I don't know why but she gave my a bad feeling, I immediately didn't trust the woman. I told them I want to eat Hotpot because I usually eat alone and I don't get the opportunity to eat it much, I wanted to take them to a really good hotpot restaurant right next to the mall where we met up, and they refused. They took me to the most expensive restaurant that I know of at the bottom of a 4 or 5 star hotel, and told me that they want to eat here. I told them no, I want to go to a really good restaurant just across the street. They both looked panicky, the friend took out her phone and tried to record me (she thought she was being sly but it was so obvious) then asked why I don't want to eat there. They started talking to each other in hushed voices and the friend called someone on her phone and in a frantic voice talked, though I couldn't understand what she was saying. The girl that I had arranged to meet told me she needs to go to the bathroom and goes into the expensive restaurant, I assumed to talk to someone who was in on their plan.

I looked around, the light at the corner was green, and I ran across the street and into the mall. I turned around as I entered the door and it seemed as if her friend, still paying attention to her phone, didn't notice my departure.

Maybe I was being paranoid, but I don't care, the girl wasn't the same girl in her profile pictures, she was unattractive and I felt like she was untrustworthy. Her friend gave me the creeps. I ghosted, I don't regret running off at all.

Some things I can't stand when meeting someone from Jiayuan or especially Tantan: fake profile pictures, I find it untrustworthy; asking about my salary, again it's untrustworthy and none of their business if I'm not in a relationship; asking me several times if I'm used to living here and repeatedly asking how long I've been here, I felt like they were trying to gauge whether or not I knew about scams.

TL;DR: met a girl on Jiayuan got a 4,000 RMB bill for some snacks, coffee and tea. Met another girl from Tantan got a bad feeling, trusted my instincts and ran away.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

rofl I'm surprised he learned from his first mistake

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Weird that there's also a nega-Haier running around China (and posting about it on Reddit?)

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
If she won't pay on the first date, she ain't worth it.

mrbotus
Apr 7, 2009

Patron of the Pants
I thought the lesson was just to stay away from those things all together?

Ceciltron
Jan 11, 2007

Text BEEP to 43527 for the dancing robot!
Pillbug

Haier posted:

If she won't pay on the first date, she ain't worth it.

My fiancee constantly reminds me that she paid for dinner on our first date by not realising that if she offered to pay, I would be honored and accept rather than fight her tooth and nail for it. I love her, she's the best.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Ceciltron posted:

My fiancee constantly reminds me that she paid for dinner on our first date by not realising that if she offered to pay, I would be honored and accept rather than fight her tooth and nail for it. I love her, she's the best.

the inscrutable ways of the occidentals...

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Dissapointed Owl posted:

Obligatory this is my first post on /r/China, I want to share a couple bad experiences that I've had in meeting girls on Tantan and Jiayuan.

About 4 months ago I started using Jiayuan mostly to practice my Chinese with online strangers and the whole process of making my profile was a language learning experience. The first girl that I met in person met me in the evening around 9pm and took me to a cafe of her choice. She showed up with a friend, they bought about 5 plates of various 小吃, coffee and a bottle of wine, I wanted a tea. After 30 minutes they wanted to leave and left me with about a 4,000 RMB bill. I felt completely taken advantage of and wanted to just run out of the restaurant but I found myself surrounded by all of the wait staff at the restaurant demanding I pay our bill. I was afraid to have the police called and with my limited Chinese I couldn't express my confusion. I paid and got the hell out of there, blocked the girl from my contact list and put it behind me. Live and learn I said to myself, I keep the receipt in my wallet to remind me not to let anyone take advantage of me again.

I met a girl today from Tantan and I immediately felt a lot of red flags in my head reminding me of the previous experience. Maybe it was only paranoia. Firstly, the girl looked nothing like her pictures. Second she showed up with a friend who I don't know why but she gave my a bad feeling, I immediately didn't trust the woman. I told them I want to eat Hotpot because I usually eat alone and I don't get the opportunity to eat it much, I wanted to take them to a really good hotpot restaurant right next to the mall where we met up, and they refused. They took me to the most expensive restaurant that I know of at the bottom of a 4 or 5 star hotel, and told me that they want to eat here. I told them no, I want to go to a really good restaurant just across the street. They both looked panicky, the friend took out her phone and tried to record me (she thought she was being sly but it was so obvious) then asked why I don't want to eat there. They started talking to each other in hushed voices and the friend called someone on her phone and in a frantic voice talked, though I couldn't understand what she was saying. The girl that I had arranged to meet told me she needs to go to the bathroom and goes into the expensive restaurant, I assumed to talk to someone who was in on their plan.

I looked around, the light at the corner was green, and I ran across the street and into the mall. I turned around as I entered the door and it seemed as if her friend, still paying attention to her phone, didn't notice my departure.

Maybe I was being paranoid, but I don't care, the girl wasn't the same girl in her profile pictures, she was unattractive and I felt like she was untrustworthy. Her friend gave me the creeps. I ghosted, I don't regret running off at all.

Some things I can't stand when meeting someone from Jiayuan or especially Tantan: fake profile pictures, I find it untrustworthy; asking about my salary, again it's untrustworthy and none of their business if I'm not in a relationship; asking me several times if I'm used to living here and repeatedly asking how long I've been here, I felt like they were trying to gauge whether or not I knew about scams.

TL;DR: met a girl on Jiayuan got a 4,000 RMB bill for some snacks, coffee and tea. Met another girl from Tantan got a bad feeling, trusted my instincts and ran away.
I wonder if he realizes that these were women hired by the restaurants or working there, and this was all part of the scam business practices? Or maybe he thinks they are just really wanting a free meal at that one very specific place they know very well?

4000 RMB bill for what amounts to about 40 RMB of food products cooked in oil and supermarket soy sauce.

Ceciltron posted:

LOL, self owned. You lost sooo much face letting her do that.

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
https://zippy.gfycat.com/ExemplaryCoolFinwhale.webm

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Why?

(I am genuinely curious how a tiny-titted stripper chose to stop a power tool with her breasts in front of some toddlers, please don't say "no why")

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I mean that's a pretty neat trick

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Pirate Radar posted:

I mean that's a pretty neat trick

I've studied this for minutes and I'm pretty sure she's using her hands

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Mameluke posted:

Why?

(I am genuinely curious how a tiny-titted stripper chose to stop a power tool with her breasts in front of some toddlers, please don't say "no why")

Either she demostrates how firm her titties are, or she wants to show the quality of that lovely chinese knockoff motor that's clearly not meant to double as an angle grinder. Just lol at the thought of doing that with a real one, if you've ever used one to cut steel or stone.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Strippers are usually pretty adept at working with tools

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Wanna meet those little milks

• Locked thread