Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

gabensraum posted:

it's a plot point (among other themes) in the recent film american fiction, which i really enjoyed. it's based on the 2001 novel erasure (which i haven't read).

this was a really good movie. i also haven’t read the book either. really funny and surprising touching

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo

Sagebrush posted:

the weirdest part of it all is that somehow he had sold the movie rights to the book before it was published. yes, seriously. and it was his first novel!

apparently he had originally planned it out as several books. collecting all the eggs would have taken place across the series. but you get about 2/3 of the way through the book and suddenly everything speeds way up to get the quest finished by the end, and the little effort he was putting in goes away, and you realize oh, yeah, that's where the warner brothers check cleared.

i get enormous "why do your parents have a wikipedia page" energy from it but i haven't been able to locate them yet
I think this might explain things sufficiently: https://web.archive.org/web/2010112...th-warner-bros/

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

thats hosed up. fine, a popular book becomes a film sure. but it wasnt even popular yet?

only reasonable explanation is he accidentally did coke in a bathroom with some hollywood executive

he did write a movie that harvey weinstein produced. they were introduced by harry knowles lmfao

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

there's a great quote from Ursula Le Guin about how all the fawning praise Harry Potter got on release came from people who hadn't read a children's book for 20 years, had never read a fantasy or boarding school novel before, and thus thought all the tired cliches were actually original and interesting. RPO is basically the same thing but with "nerd culture" instead of childrens fantasy. it's "nerd culture" as imagined by people who think endless pop-culture references are really unique and clever. the glowing reviews were all from people who watched one episode of Big Bang Theory and didn't like it but assume you probably do because you like nerd poo poo right?

Sweevo fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Mar 23, 2024

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
those under-monitor surge protectors so you could janitor turning on and off all your devices in succession

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Sweevo posted:

there's a great quote from Ursula Le Guin about how all the fawning praise Harry Potter got on release came from people who hadn't read a children's book for 20 years, had never read a fantasy or boarding school novel before, and thus thought all the tired cliches were actually original and interesting. RPO is basically the same thing but with "nerd culture" instead of childrens fantasy. it's "nerd culture" as imagined by people who think endless pop-culture references are really unique and clever. it's a book for people who watched one episode of Big Bang Theory and didn't like it but assume you probably do because you like nerd poo poo right?

it’s also for people who loved Big Bang Theory and assume you probably also do because you like nerd poo poo

Internet Old One
Dec 6, 2021

Coke Adds Life

Hed posted:

Think Quick! on 5.25" floppy,
Awww yeah! I loved this game!

That title screen looks a lot better than I remember anything being in the game. Lots of CGA and composite video tricks that didn't work well on our VGA monitor.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Sweevo posted:

there's a great quote from Ursula Le Guin about how all the fawning praise Harry Potter got on release came from people who hadn't read a children's book for 20 years, had never read a fantasy or boarding school novel before, and thus thought all the tired cliches were actually original and interesting. RPO is basically the same thing but with "nerd culture" instead of childrens fantasy. it's "nerd culture" as imagined by people who think endless pop-culture references are really unique and clever. it's a book for people who watched one episode of Big Bang Theory and didn't like it but assume you probably do because you like nerd poo poo right?

one of the gravest insults my mother ever uttered at me was saying that the bazinga guy reminded her so much of me

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Hed posted:

those under-monitor surge protectors so you could janitor turning on and off all your devices in succession

Excuse me this is the funny tech poo poo thread, not the awesome tech poo poo thread

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

yeah i've seen midi nerds set up poo poo like that all colour matched with roland gear and it's sick nasty

Manzoon
Oct 12, 2005

ALPHASTRIKE!!!

Had a roommate who did a book club like duo thing with a buddy of his and they would select some of the worst poo poo they could find and mail them to each other.

They read Ready Player One and he would have to sit down and vent to me about how God awful it was once every couple of days. I at least got forewarning for the garbage show that it was and didn't get suckered into it by some dip poo poo recommending it to me.

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

can't believe we managed to have a ready player one conversation without bringing up ernest cline's poetry

so let me address that by posting https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h3Zr0cceuCI

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

someone mentioned it

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

:negative:

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

wait, there's more than the one poem? are they all so desperate?

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

https://372pages.com/ is a podcast with mike nelson of mst3k and one of the rifftrax writers, and they started it with reading ready player one. i remember it being a good listen but that was like 6 years ago

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 23 hours!
Remember when Vista era prebuilts all shipped with this weird game store where you could play 5 minute demos of 90s shareware type games reborn into the 2000s?

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

remember when Microsoft tried to convince game developers to use a Vista metadata header for save files so they could display them in Explorer

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

emSparkly posted:

Remember when Vista era prebuilts all shipped with this weird game store where you could play 5 minute demos of 90s shareware type games reborn into the 2000s?

talk about going off on a wild tangent! :dadjoke:

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zamujasa posted:

talk about going off on a wild tangent! :dadjoke:

u fuckre

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

SONY VAIO PCG-GT3/K

Couple of 'more info' posts:

https://imgur.com/gallery/n6MdeZn

https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/comments/5er1wr/portable_weeksony_vaio_gt3k/

minidracula
Dec 22, 2007

boo woo boo
This thing is like the anti-Toughbook

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

you tellin' me this meta is trans?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

cathode ray dude did a whole video on that thing (hell yeah it’s a transmeta crusoe baby) and theorised it might’ve gotten a fuckload of use in churches
https://youtu.be/zB-BRBmv34k

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
the ibm thinkpad transnote

its 2024 and its time for it to come back!!!

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

:pwn:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sagebrush posted:

The main thing I remember from that book is that there is never any real challenge or conflict.

Every time the protagonist is about to encounter a challenge it goes like this: "I was so close to the crystal egg. There was just one final challenge. The egg was guarded by a gigantic invulnerable dragon that nobody had ever gotten past. Luckily, two weeks ago I had found a magic sword while searching in a volcano. The dragon tried to kill me, but I stabbed it in the neck with the magic sword and it died. Then I walked up and got the egg."

(That is also an accurate representation of the quality of the prose)

Sounds like The Legend of the Ten Elemental Masters

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Hed posted:

this thing fucks

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Of course it's just a semi-detached house lol

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

post ur piece :clint:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Beve Stuscemi posted:

post ur piece :clint:

:wink:

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Open your phone for me ;-*

simble
May 11, 2004

text me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

time to open the WAP Browser

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Agile Vector posted:

irl lol

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Agile Vector posted:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Agile Vector posted: