Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fhqwhgads posted:

Still catching up on this thread but I'm really underwhelmed by sorceries so far this time around. I typically do a first run in Souls games as a spellcaster and it's always felt OP, but in ER I feel like anything significant can easily evade spells and I'm falling back on guard countering most bosses/minibosses with my straight sword. So then why be a spellcaster at all? I'm past Margit and still plinking away with the pebble spell when enemies aren't just outright dodging them, but even for the tougher mobs that aren't quite minibosses, it's coming back to sword and board. What am I missing this time around?

Also, where is there a spell vendor? I still haven't found one yet.

The main sorcery vendor is in the Waypoint Ruins across the lake from the starting point, more or less directly east.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

I’m playing on an xbone and there was a single time I saw a funny animation of a mob skipping frames for a second but other than that it has run exactly like every other souls game i.e everything is covered in syrup

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Someone a few pages back mentioned there’s a merchant north of stormveil who sells the basic weapon upgrade stones. Can anyone point out on a map where they are? I’ve been trying to find them, and maybe i just havent gone north enough because I haven’t found them

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fhqwhgads posted:

Still catching up on this thread but I'm really underwhelmed by sorceries so far this time around. I typically do a first run in Souls games as a spellcaster and it's always felt OP, but in ER I feel like anything significant can easily evade spells and I'm falling back on guard countering most bosses/minibosses with my straight sword. So then why be a spellcaster at all? I'm past Margit and still plinking away with the pebble spell when enemies aren't just outright dodging them, but even for the tougher mobs that aren't quite minibosses, it's coming back to sword and board. What am I missing this time around?

First spell vendor is directly behind stormveil castle, either by beating godrick and exiting or taking the roundabout route, and in the church there. The zone behind the castle, lake liurnia, leads to the zone where a huge portion of spells can be found. The other vendor is not freely accessible and found by beating a boss fight in waypoint ruins on the eastern side of the starting zone.

Be warned that that the boss who guards magic is magic immune(super resistant?) so keep that in mind

Orv
May 4, 2011

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Someone a few pages back mentioned there’s a merchant north of stormveil who sells the basic weapon upgrade stones. Can anyone point out on a map where they are? I’ve been trying to find them, and maybe i just havent gone north enough because I haven’t found them

You get the basic upgrade stones for purchase by beating the boss of the Liurnia mines.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fhqwhgads posted:

I’m finally getting cooler spells after stormveil, but pebble is just so drat efficient.

I hope that there’s a patch and some spells get buffed. Like I’m pretty sure glintstone stars does the same or worse damage than pebble for more mana

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
What the hell is lighting these fires even doing, down here in fantasy night sky land?
also, won my first hyperjail fight! Bloodhound gang down!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

hazardousmouse posted:

What the hell is lighting these fires even doing, down here in fantasy night sky land?
also, won my first hyperjail fight! Bloodhound gang down!

Light em all and see what happens to that big antler thing.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I have never had strong feelings on ants but I'mma boutta start.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Barudak posted:

First spell vendor is directly behind stormveil castle, either by beating godrick and exiting or taking the roundabout route, and in the church there. The zone behind the castle, lake liurnia, leads to the zone where a huge portion of spells can be found. The other vendor is not freely accessible and found by beating a boss fight in waypoint ruins on the eastern side of the starting zone.

Be warned that that the boss who guards magic is magic immune(super resistant?) so keep that in mind
You can get a spell vendor way earlier than that, just go here. Basically immediately east of the start.

e: didn't read good, but why wouldn't you just go to waypoint ruins and beat that boss? he's basically just a large enemy, of a type that shows up normally not much deeper into the game

Barudak
May 7, 2007

IronicDongz posted:

You can get a spell vendor way earlier than that, just go here. Basically immediately east of the start.

e: didn't read good, but why wouldn't you just go there and beat that boss

I figure if your struggling offer the one with no limitations on access beyond some wolves first, then the one that needs a bossfight second.

Also do not try to save a trapped person held in chains in a basement in witchhaven swamp unless a quest sends you there, you can only botch it.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
Ho ho ho, now I have a warhawk.

I really hope it is as annoying to bosses as they were to me.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
so i did a check and, including in Vaati's early game 10 tips video, there is a night boss in Stormhill that isn't listed (including on the wikipage for Stormhill)

Go to the war shack in Stormhill at night, then head south-south west towards the troll area, looking down you will see a ruin covered in sparklies, all ruin fragments, and when you approach it poo poo gets weird

Orv
May 4, 2011
YA BOY IN HERE THROWIN LIGHTNINGS

Also he dead.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Yo the Whip dismantles those rock miners in mines. It owns.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Found a bunch of ants, and then a giant dude with lots of teeth hosed me up

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

What a weird janky boss the Watchdog is lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Found a bunch of ants, and then a giant dude with lots of teeth hosed me up

Did you find the ant queen?

KrunkMcGrunk
Jul 2, 2007

Sometimes I sit and think, and sometimes I just sit.

Is anyone else on PS5 suddenly not able to summon people? I had no problem summoning on Friday but yesterday and today every summon fails

Barudak
May 7, 2007

RBA Starblade posted:

I had summon me to help them with it and I was like, oh, buddy, you're gonna feel stupid.

The new summoning system rules, by the way.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Barudak posted:

See the correction above, some overworld bosses allow it, but yes its a boss fight thing. Think of it as from making sure you always have an AI buddy available for any bossfight.

Gotcha, probably would have made that giant guarding the gate backed up with archers a lot easier :shobon: I thought that fight was about teaching you to use :horse:

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Barudak posted:

I figure if your struggling offer the one with no limitations on access beyond some wolves first, then the one that needs a bossfight second.
I feel like the 'roundabout path' to getting behind stormveil castle is more difficult than just walking east of start a little and then beating the guy in that cave.

Barudak posted:

Also do not try to save a trapped person held in chains in a basement in witchhaven swamp unless a quest sends you there, you can only botch it.
This is exactly what happened to me, but it is reversible. Though it takes a bit to get the item to reverse it with.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Barudak posted:

Did you find the ant queen?

Not yet, does it come before or after the big boi

Actually maybe i did, i found an ant with a super fat rear end that i popped in one strong attack. But it didn't seem like a queen, just some specialized ant

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

Barudak posted:

See the correction above, some overworld bosses allow it, but yes its a boss fight thing. Think of it as from making sure you always have an AI buddy available for any bossfight.

Takes No Damage posted:

Gotcha, probably would have made that giant guarding the gate backed up with archers a lot easier :shobon: I thought that fight was about teaching you to use :horse:

It's more than just bosses. Significant enemy encounters in the overworld also allow summoning. Like for clearing a big camp, or a keep even if there's no boss. You can usually summon for those. Keep an eye on the left hand side of the screen, there will be a gate icon displayed in areas where you can summon.

This one:

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

+13 weapon requires TWENTY ONE level 5 smithing stones lol

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Not yet, does it come before or after the big boi

Actually maybe i did, i found an ant with a super fat rear end that i popped in one strong attack. But it didn't seem like a queen, just some specialized ant

Thats what I meant. I don't think theres a bossfight

Barudak
May 7, 2007

actionjackson posted:

+13 weapon requires TWENTY ONE level 5 smithing stones lol

They rain +4s and +5s on you. As soon as I got a weapon to where I needed them I lept to needing +6s

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
For the people talking about smithing stones 1 and 2 there is a cave marked on the map of Raya Lucaria. The boss will give you a miner's bell bearing that will unlock basic smithing mats at a reasonable price.

JBP fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 28, 2022

Ass-Haggis
May 27, 2011

asproigerosis confirmed
The absolute enormity, the immenseitude, the brobdingnagian scale and depth of this gameworld is dumpsterfucking me in ways my brain simply can't comprehend right now

I go to a place, and then there's another place? and they keep happening? and there's NO END IN SIGHT AT ALL??? what the gently caress

Orv
May 4, 2011
There hasn’t been a game in a while that has been this on my mind. I have some gripes with a few bosses, a couple design choices but the game just keeps going and going and every part of it is engrossing.

Also (plot guessing and minor environmental spoilers) I think it’s heading Lovecraftian again. The talk of holding back the stars, of astrologers predating glint sorcerers, the fact that the statues in Ainsel River of the glint sorcerers from Raya Lucaria have tentacles coming out of their robes. The goddamn telekinetic space flies. I don’t think this ends well.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
my major complaint so far is that i'm 24 hours in and still using my starting armor and broadsword. this may have been a consequence of trying to go STR - i want to keep to medium weight but even with the equipment load talisman i'm not able to use anything really worthwhile, and the rest of my skills are languishing as i try to build up my stamina. getting pretty tired of all the really cool kit i find being DEX-based

some of these prizes are lackluster too. i brought down that terrifying bastard at the weaponmaster's shack and the reward is letting me buy bones? i've already got bones for days

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Can anyone give me a vague hint at getting on top of that plateau in South Lucaria? Can I get up there at all lol I just did the second legacy dungeon.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

RBA Starblade posted:

Just got to it for the first time.

Boss of the year in the game of the century.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

my major complaint so far is that i'm 24 hours in and still using my starting armor and broadsword. this may have been a consequence of trying to go STR - i want to keep to medium weight but even with the equipment load talisman i'm not able to use anything really worthwhile, and the rest of my skills are languishing as i try to build up my stamina. getting pretty tired of all the really cool kit i find being DEX-based

some of these prizes are lackluster too. i brought down that terrifying bastard at the weaponmaster's shack and the reward is letting me buy bones? i've already got bones for days

If you want a zweihander its purchasable on the southernmost zone, and that whole area has a bundle of different strength weapons.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

can someone tell me how to get to bellum church, I just cannot figure out. I'm either below it and blocked by cliff walls, or above it but I can't safely jump down

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
I am finding a ton of sacred hearts or whatever but none of the flask extenders

Big Bizness
Jun 19, 2019

Holy gently caress has anyone else had this happen? I was in Stormveil Castle when a statue holding a sword appeared behind me when I wasn't looking. It definitely had not been there a second ago when I was looking in that direction. I attacked it and it crumbled in one hit, but WTF

Barudak
May 7, 2007

CharlestheHammer posted:

I am finding a ton of sacred hearts or whatever but none of the flask extenders

Look for trees of pure gold. The first island/lake of liurnia doesn't have as many but they're all over, iirc they're more located closer to the capital.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I wasn't expecting high-level incantations to need so much intelligence and arcane. Is that typical in these games? The preview video I watched called those dump stats for a faith build, but not really...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Barudak posted:

If you want a zweihander its purchasable on the southernmost zone, and that whole area has a bundle of different strength weapons.

oh i got that bad boy soon as i saw it, i just can't equip it without consequently rolling at the speed of smell